who will be the "Regent" in the iron throne

Itai Peer

If Cersei's champion wins the trial by combat I think she will do anything to return as Queen Regent, but for now I think Mace Tyrell will take the post, those damn Tyrells, I hate them, they are turncoats, they were Targs Loyalist, and then King Bob's man, and then they wanted Renly to be king and then they sided with the Lannisters, I mean, WTF, I hate them all, The Tyrells need to be placed back on their seat in that flourish land again, for everyone's sake

If Cersei's champion wins the trial by combat I think she will do anything to return as Queen Regent, but for now I think Mace Tyrell will take the post, those damn Tyrells, I hate them, they are turncoats, they were Targs Loyalist, and then King Bob's man, and then they wanted Renly to be king and then they sided with the Lannisters, I mean, WTF, I hate them all, The Tyrells need to be placed back on their seat in that flourish land again, for everyone's sake

I think you're being too harsh on them I not to fond of them either, but Loras was in love with Renly and would do anything for him or his family he is devoted like that. We have yet to meet Wilas and all we know is he's a cripple. Garlan was actually pretty nice to Sansa at court even after marriage plot fell through.

Were I member of a lesser branch of Lannisters, I'd be trying to avoid getting saddled with a decidedly risky regency that's at best only going to last until Tommen is grown. I'd be angling for control over Casterly Rock. One big problem Tywin always had was that his firstborn son had been pulled into the Kingsguard by Aerys II, and Tyrion was Tyrion.

I've always believed that Tywin saw Tyrek as a potential heir and that's why he put so many resources into trying to find him after he dissapeared in the riot.

I have no factual basis, of course, but it does make sense on a macro level.

• 2 weeks later...

something just occued to me .

in the ADWD epilogue, Kevan states that the Iron Throne is so in debt that Casterly Rock has to make even more loans to it.

at this point Cersei in Lady of CS, meaning the Iron Throne is seriously in debt to her . there must be a way for her to mauever that into getting herself named regent by the Tyrells.

word will spread thru the streets of Kings Landing. "The Regent has been killed the same way as his brother" will be said by a commoner

"This is what the Lannisters get for the 'Rains of Castamere' "

"Who shall take over the boy king now"

"Lord Tyrell is hand i would wager him'

"he is the kings good-father"

With Tywin and Kevan dead, Cersei possibly facing execution, Tyrion attainted and Jaime in the Kingsguard, Casterly Rock and the new head-of-family would be Lancel. They'd just have to make a decision as to whether Lancel and Gatehouse Ami would continue to hold Darry (to which Ami has a family claim) or if they'll pass it to another family member.

Regarding the regency, I think Mace will assume that role and Tarly will be promoted to Hand of the King. Perfect position for a future betrayal on his part ...

Lancel has no claims to any lands now that he is a sworn to the Seven. Martyn Lannister is the heir to Casterly Rock, unless Tyrek is alive and being held by Varys, and has recenetly been released from captivity now that Blackfish surrendered Riverrun. The Regeancy would have to fall to Mace Tyrell. Cersei can't take power because of what happened to her in the streets, Kevin even says so in his epilogue citing no one could ever believe in her having power including the small folks, even if she wasn't currently on trial for her life. Mace has an entire army in KL and can take the office by force. He is Tommen's hand and possesses great influence over him. Tommen likes the Tyrells and listens to them against his mother's will in ASOS, which is why she punishes his whipping boy. Randyll Tarly will back Mace for regeancy by using his reputation as the "finest soldier in Westeros" and his position of Justicar.

Lady Nym will further back Mace. Even though the Martells and Tyrells generally detest each other, her father Oberyn was friends with Wyless and corresponded with him on a very regular basis. She can use that to her advantage by feigning support for Mace to give the illusion of Dorne's support while simultaneously crippling the Lannister's power even further. I do like this thread topic though.

Lancel has no claims to any lands now that he is a sworn to the Seven. Martyn Lannister is the heir to Casterly Rock, unless Tyrek is alive and being held by Varys, and has recenetly been released from captivity now that Blackfish surrendered Riverrun.

Martyn trumps Tyrek in terms of any succession. However, Daven and Damian are the only Lannisters left with any real leadership ability at the moment. It will bel interesting to see what they do.

The logical choice is Mace unless he is assassinated by Cersei. He is already the king's "Hand." Governance of the realm would go to him by default. I don't see anyone in KL complaining, except Cersei.

Mace can seize the Regency for himself during the next council session. Or he could give the office to Margaery (I can see that happening, since it would humiliate Cersei even further if Margaery would become the next Queen Regent). He could even postpone the appointment of another Regent indefinitely since all power is now his, anyway. He is Hand of the King, he speaks with the King's Voice, and the king will have no voice of his own for many years to come.

But my guess is that Mace will seize the Regency for himself. He is the truly ambitious Tyrell, not Margaery, and certainly not Olenna.

Cersei still is Lady of Casterly Rock. Should she die, the Rock would go to Tommen, and then to Myrcella (as long as they are not declared illegitimate). Next in line after Cersei and her children would indeed be Martyn Lannister, Ser Kevan's only eldest surviving son who has not joined the Faith Militant. After Martyn would come Janei, Kevan's and Dorna's daughter, and then Tyrek Lannister (who has disappeared and may be Varys's captive). After Tyrek it would be first Lady Genna, and then her grandsons by Ser Cleos Frey, Tywin Frey, and Willem Frey. Ty is right now also Lord Emmon Frey's direct heir as Lord of Riverrun.

Technically the power over House Lannister would be in Daven's and Damion's hands should anything happen to Cersei, or should she be incarcerated permanently. They are grown-up Lannisters and have been put in charge of the West by Cersei. She appointed Daven her Warden of the West, and Damion castellan of Casterly Rock. They would be in charge of any Lannister host in a speculative civil war with the Tyrells, or the coming war against Aegon's forces.

If those men will honor the line of succession and declare for the boy lord Martyn Lannister if Cersei and her children should die I don't know. Infighting among House Lannister is not impossible. Especially since Lady Genna, the only surviving child of Lord Tytos, is not at Casterly Rock right now. She is at Riverrun with Lord Emmon Frey, and as things stand I very much doubt she is going to survive the sneak attack on Riverrun Catelyn is no doubt planning right now (with the help of Tom o' Sevens).

• 10 months later...

My theory:

Mace Tyrell will seize power, appoint himself lord regent and one of his bannermen or sons as hand.

The surviving Lannisters and Westermen will try to organise continued lannister rule, possibly under Ser Daven, who seems to be the only Lannister left suitable to lead, though there a couple of other really minor Lannisters that could theoretically take the Job.

Obviously this issue could lead to war between the rock and highgarden, but with the Lannister armies depleted, and the Tyrells already in kings landing, it seems obvious the Lannisters won't win.

It depends on who gets to choose the new regent...

If it is the Small Council I think that Mace Tyrell is the obvious choice.

If Tommen gets to choose, I think he will pick Maergery

This may work out for Varys because if a Tyrell is in charge, all of Dorne will surely back Aegon

Mace Tyrell - Currently Hand of the King and has a huge army of about 30,000 men residing in King’s Landing

Randyll Tarly - Master of Laws, loyal to Mace Tyrell, and likely leading a Tyrell army to invade the Stormlands

Paxter Redwyne - Lord Admiral & Master of Ships, loyal to Mace Tyrell, and leading his fleet back to the Reach

Ser Harys Swyft - Master of Coin, Lannister lackey, and a weakling with no real power

Grand Maester - empty

Jaime Lannister - Lord Commander of the KG, missing, and maimed

Master of Whipsers - Empty, although Qyburn is doing the duties

I think its safe to say that Mace will be running things for a while.

Everyone discounting Cersei seems to be ignoring Robert Strong. If he is some unstoppable monster, then the trial by battle will happen pretty quickly. Its scheduled five days from now, as of the end of Dance. Then we have to wonder...are the little birds only going after Kevan? Or are they going to go on a mass murder? Cersei may not even go to the trial by battle, but instead use the attack on Kevan as a carte blanche to have Robert Strong slaughter all the Tyrells and anyone she sees as an enemy. Cersei becomes the evil Queen in the Tower; there are many parrallels between her and Lysa Tully already, perhaps Cersei and Tommen will become Lysa/Sweetrobin on the Iron Throne with Ser Robert enforcing her will; setting up Aegon as the 7's Chosen when he takes the city from the evil Queen Cersei. The Tyrells are mostly slaughtered during the chaos.

Robert Strong will probably kill fAegon (his Blackfyreness eternally debated), JonCon will escape and chaos and greyscale will sweep the south.

I think after the first 100 pages or so of Winds, the authority of the Iron Throne will be gone.

I think Margary can be the regent queen. She is Tommen's wife and she is an adult woman. This can easily bring a further conflict to the story - how she would give back the power to Tommen when he reaches adult age, and how would Cersei react to see her major ennemy to became the regent queen.

Archived