The duel that never happened: Brandon Stark vs Rheagar Targaryen, who would win?

Lord Damian

Well considering that Rhaegar seems to have given Robert quite a match in single combat I do think that probably, probably mind you, Rhaegar would beat Brandon but I wouldn't be all that suprised if Brandon actually took the Prince down, either.

Hot head would probably lop off pretty boy's head !! Oh, what would I give to see that scene !!!!

Didn't Barristan say that Rhaegar was a 'most puissant warrior" and "a warrior wihout peer" but also that "words win no battles"? ASOS Daenerys I.

Jorah says then that "swords win battles" and that Rhaegar knew how to use one.

Of Brandons skills we know little to nothing, just what was said of Ned. That his brother was more a swords man, if I recall correctly.

Didn't Barristan say that Rhaegar was a 'most puissant warrior" and "a warrior wihout peer" but also that "words win no battles"? ASOS Daenerys I.

Jorah says then that "swords win battles" and that Rhaegar knew how to use one.

Of Brandons skills we know little to nothing, just what was said of Ned. That his brother was more a swords man, if I recall correctly.

IIRC it was Viserys who says he was a warrior without peer and when Dany repeats this to Barristan he looks a bit uncomfortable and says that he was a "most puissant warrior". Also do we never get any mention of Jorah actually fighting in Robert's Rebellion? If not it means he only knows of Rhaegar by reputation.

The only other info we have on Brandon's skills is that he was the best fighter in his generation of Starks from GRRM.

Other than that we can probably assume as members of the top noble families they would have received similar training though Brandon might have the edge as Rhaegar started late

IIRC it was Viserys who says he was a warrior without peer and when Dany repeats this to Barristan he looks a bit uncomfortable and says that he was a "most puissant warrior". Also do we never get any mention of Jorah actually fighting in Robert's Rebellion? If not it means he only knows of Rhaegar by reputation.

I don't recall Viserys saying this but will check. if so it must be in AGOT.

The quotes I gave in #4 up thread, the description 'warrior without peer' are in ASOS Daenerys I and were used by Barristan/Arstan.

Viserys was long dead then - although on another thread this is doubted :drunk:

Jorah certainly was fighting in Robert's Rebellion, He was pretty heroic at the defeat of the Ironborn at Pyke and even was knighted for being one of the first men who got through the breach.

Im pretty sure Jorah met Rhaegar in some tourney. I forget which.

Jorah certainly was fighting in Robert's Rebellion, He was pretty heroic at the defeat of the Ironborn at Pyke and even was knighted for being one of the first men who got through the breach.

Im pretty sure Jorah met Rhaegar in some tourney. I forget which.

Pyke was 6-7 years after the end of Robert's Rebellion, we still don't have any mention of him fighting during Robert's rebellion.

I think it would come down to a matter of motivation. Assuming Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love, when and if he ever met Brandon their inner thoughts would be completely different. Brandons would be "this is the guy who kidnapped and raped my sister, off with his head!" and Rhaegars would be "this is my wife/girlfriend/lovers brother, it might influence the relationship in a negative way if I kill him"

Pyke was 6-7 years after the end of Robert's Rebellion, we still don't have any mention of him fighting during Robert's rebellion.

You're right! I was confusing the Greyjoy Rebellion with Robert's, Sorry!

We know Jorah was ruling Bear Island when Eddard became was Lord of Winterfell. He was Ned's a Stark bannerman so he would be expected to fight in Robert's rebellion, I suppose.

I could be wrong here but I picture Brandon as being of a similar size to The Hound/Victarion. (I estimate 6'3''-6'5'' bout 240)

Pretty Boy sounds like he would be more concerned about not fitting into his skinny jeans so he can go play his harp. (Not totally serious) I would picture him as tall, but very slender, maybe 6'1'' 170.

Not to mention I bet Brandon LOVES to fight, Rhaegar would rather go to Summerhall and sing while crying to himself.

Brandon via whatever the hell he wants.

You're right! I was confusing the Greyjoy Rebellion with Robert's, Sorry!

We know Jorah was ruling Bear Island when Eddard became was Lord of Winterfell. He was Ned's a Stark bannerman so he would be expected to fight in Robert's rebellion, I suppose.

To be honest I would actually be more inclined to think that the Old Bear was the Mormont lord who fought with Eddard and that between Robert's and Balon's rebellion the Old Bear went to the Wall and Jorah became the new lord.

At the tourney of Harrenhall, Rhaegar beat Brandon in the joust. But lances aside, Brandon maybe was the better swordsman. Also Rhaegar lost to Robert from horseback.

I really can't decide, but picture this scenario; they both fight on foot, Brandon wields Ice; I don't think Rhaegar stands a chance in that case.

To be honest I would actually be more inclined to think that the Old Bear was the Mormont lord who fought with Eddard and that between Robert's and Balon's rebellion the Old Bear went to the Wall and Jorah became the new lord.

Hmm ... I am always confused by timelines so there is a more than fair chance that you are right.

Jorah became Lord when his dad went to the Wall. I think Jorah said somewhere that Eddard came to Bear Island to pass justice for that Jorah shamed the North by selling poachers to a passing slaver.

But we don't know when this was.

Roberts Rebellion was about 14-16 year before the beginning of ASOIAF, right?

And Greyjoys Rebellion about 9 years? That was when Jorah was knighted.

So it is very probable that it was Jeor being the acting bannerman for the Starks being in Robert's Rebellion. Thank you for clearing this up!

Hmm ... I am always confused by timelines so there is a more than fair chance that you are right.

Jorah became Lord when his dad went to the Wall. I think Jorah said somewhere that Eddard came to Bear Island to pass justice for that Jorah shamed the North by selling poachers to a passing slaver.

But we don't know when this was.

IIRC somewhere in AGOT there was a mention Jorah has been in exile for 5 years before he met Dany and Viserys.

Geez, imagine two allegedly tall and very handsome men fighting each other. Don't get that often in the GRRM world!

It's hard to say, as it depends - Brandon Stark was fiesty, Rhaegar calm and intelligent.

But neither of them made smart decisions in the long run. I don't think Brandon going up with only four guys to KG's and brandishing a dresire to kick the Prince's ass was a wise decison, an event that led to his death. Niether was Rhaegar's decision to give Lyanna flowers and take off with her, causing the downfall of the Targ dynasty.

I reckon it would have been an even fight, at least for a little while until the very end once exhuastion and how they handle it kicks in - otherwise both would put forth their stronger attributes with their spontanious decision-making-skills as young men being the same.

Side note: who knows if Rhaegar would have revealed what was really going on to prevent a fight in the first place 'No wait! You got it all wrong! We love each other, honest! Can we talk about this over a drink or two?"

• 3 months later...

Rheagar was giving robert a tough time the injuries he got after speak for themselves but just like the moutain vs oberyn he got in that one good shot and won. Not taking anything away from robert, but it just shows you how one moment can decide a battle. So i do think rheagar could win, but it will be tough even ned admitted his brother was a better fighter than he is.

Archived