2013 ASOIAF Calendar

McCloskey

I saw Ran's post today that the cover for the 2013 calendar was released. He referred to it as spoilerish from ADWD but I can't think of the scene. It looks like a knight on horseback carrying a rainbow banner through a forest wasteland. Which scene is this from?

Just looked a little closer and remembered that the rainbow flag = white flag and noticed the ruined towers in the background. I remember the scene. Looks great. So far the calendars keep getting better and better. I was initially skeptical of the Picasio calendar last year but I now relly like his take on the characters. Looking forward to more from Mr Simonetti.

Just looked a little closer and remembered that the rainbow flag = white flag and noticed the ruined towers in the background. I remember the scene. Looks great. So far the calendars keep getting better and better. I was initially skeptical of the Picasio calendar last year but I now relly like his take on the characters. Looking forward to more from Mr Simonetti.

What part is it? Aint ginigng a bell...

I was thinking either the Rainbow Guard or the flag of the Faith when I first saw it. Neither fits the scene, at least from the ADWD perspective.

****SPOILERS****

In Dance, when Theon is sent to negotiate the surrender of the Iron Born at Moat Cailin he carries the rainbow flag as a sign of truce. Once I noticed the leaning towers in the background it came back to me.

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks,

I'm the happy illustrator for this 2013 calendar. First of all: McCloskey you guessed right, it's indeed that...

For those illustrated some illustrations were already officially released:

http://io9.com/marc-simonetti/

And I've also quite recently illustrated the brasilian and mexican versions of "dance with dragons"

http://cghub.com/images/view/226345/

I hope you'll like them!

Marc

I pre-ordered this from Amazon a few days ago. The artwork looks amazing and to be honest I prefer it to the 2012 artwork. Those illustrations on io9 gave me no choice but to buy it, I was amazed at how awesome they look.

• 4 weeks later...

Bubba, I'm glad you like it! There's a GRR hidden in the Atonement (without glasses, from a ref found on the internet)...

I have to say that I didn't wrote the title (because of my low level in English)

I'll have to give it another look later and find him.The Kingsmoot is another one of my favorites, so gorgeous.

Was it your intentions to give Dance the most art work since it just released, or did it just sorta fall into place? And how exactly did you choose which month the art would represent?

I got my calendar today. Beautiful, beautiful artwork that gives you a feeling of mystery. The December artwork called "Broken Vows", you see part of a person and a sword. Is it suppose to be anybody in particular?

Bubba: I'm glad you like the Kingsmoot too :)

About the subjects, as the previous books were already widely illustrated by the previous calendars, it was a part of the brief at the very beginning to give the priority to the fifth book...

For the month, we first sort them in the chronological order, and the mood didn't always fit with the month. Then we rearrange them to have a sort of correspondance mood/month.

That's why Bran in Winterfell is there first...

Parise: Well, I'm glad you like too. In fact you see part of two persons, and longclaw... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today, this is easily the best artwork I've seen for aSoIaF. I feel like my imagination when reading the books is woefully inadequate, the scope of the fighting pits, the scale of The Sorrows.......I could go on. Great work. Particularly love Broken Vows, with the focus on the sword being a clever and tasteful allusion to what the scene is.

Archived