Patrick O Brian-Aubrey/Maturin

redriver

I've read 17 of them, starting after seeing the movie. Thoroughly enjoyed them, and will continue the series through to the end. Individual books are good, and interspersed by a few slow burning story arcs. I know nothing of sailing or the technical layout of the ships, but haven't found this detrimental.

• 9 months later...

I didn't know other people loved the debauched sloth too. *weeps*

Love that guy, and also the way Jack's daughters curse like sailors. But mostly I carry a torch for Stephen Maturin, especially when he's falling off the ship. <3

This is one of my favorite series/worlds.

I like them, but its like many series, you have to be in the right mood or they can turn to dust, and sometimes you are just slogging through them. I liked all the period information you pick up and the sense of the amazing sights they see (I remember one where they stop to collect 'cabbages' (any green plants) at an island way down in the southern oceans). I found all the seagoing terminology hard to deal with as it means sentences read like 'The ? leaped at the ? and the top ? ran up and caught the wind'. And of course there is the open hearted conservative and the secretive Maturin and their relationship.

I was reading straight through them until last Christmas, when I got a boxed set of a series that was new to me -- something about a game and some thrones. Am now trying to decide between glorious addictions -- reread ASOIAF or return to Stephen Maturin. Can't really go wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I just read the first book. I really enjoyed it. I love how O'Brian makes it feel like it was written 200 years ago.

Question: Is this a series that you have to read in order, is it more episodic enough that I can skip around a bit based on book availability? Could I skip the second one and read it late? I ask this because I have the third and fourth books but haven't got a copy of the second one. And the series fever is strong in this one and I want to keep reading.

I haven't read much nautical fiction, but I'm loving it. I've read Moby Dick, the True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, and most of Gordon Pym, but that's it. This is a genre I'd love to read more..

I am now eagerly anticipating the appearance of this debauched sloth I've heard mentioned.

I've only recently started the series, but am onto the 3rd (HMS Surprise) and have loved every bit so far.

Like any series i'd assume you'd come across a few spoilers if skipping ahead, but having only read 2 and a half other people will be able to answer better. The first 3 books include a bit of ship changing (and career/romance progression) but I imagine it may well settle down a bit further into the series so spoilers would become less of an issue.

I was curious if people who have read the whole series have a particular favourite amongst the books? or whether it all blends together once you've read all 20 novels...

There continues to be a fair amount of ship changing as the series progresses, which is to be expected as Jack advances (sometimes) in his career. But this isn't too much of a problem, especially as he tends to take his 'core team' with him from ship to ship.

I keep meaning to go back into this series. I adored the first three and for some reason, I haven't continued on. Being a sailor really helps me understand the nautical terms but I still need occasionally flip to the appendix to see what sail is the royal topgallant!

I finally got back to this series and read Post Captain. Excellent stuff. The immersion into the period puts this far above Sharpe, Hornblower or Flashman. I read the first Hornblower only recently and while it's decent enough, it has nothing like the depth in the characters or commitment to the culture of the period.

I was curious if people who have read the whole series have a particular favourite amongst the books? or whether it all blends together once you've read all 20 novels.

I've read up to number up to including the 19th one, so I've only one more (completed book) to go of the series. I have read them all in order. All the books are a complete story in themself. Although in some case the storyline does lead directly on from the action in the previous book and there are some background story threads that run through multiple books, they can be enjoyed individually.

• 2 months later...

I've just finished the final complete novel, Blue at the Mizzen. Anyone read the unfinished novel that's been published?

I'm wondering if it's worth my time reading it (probably will for completeness).

I have read it. I would have to say that it is only worth your time if you are determined to see the series through to it's 'end'. The manuscript peters out before anything much of significance happens.

I have read it. I would have to say that it is only worth your time if you are determined to see the series through to it's 'end'. The manuscript peters out before anything much of significance happens.

Thanks Arataniello.

I thought as much. I'll keep it in my possible reads pile (mental list), but won't rush to it.

I do heave a feeling I should read it for completeness sake, but I know that as a standalone item it's probably not really worth it.

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking of starting this series after reading a strong excerpt from 3. I did find what I read of book 1 slow, a few years ago.

Anyone else a fan of this series?

How this compare to Hornblower? Or Flashman, even though that is non-nautical? I'm probably starting 1 of these 3.

Necromancy!

I have now read several more of the series and enjoyed them all very much. But I did find some of the bridge pieces a bit predictable. Jack will have great victories followed by an unlucky loss of prize money so that he is a desperate underdog again for the next adventure (not unlike Sharpe). Stephen will subtly save England or Jack but then have his heart broken again by Diana (not unlike Sharpe).

I read several Hornblower novels too. Aubrey/Maturin definitely has the better prose and character interaction, but Hornblower is reasonably well written and has much more internal deliberation and self-doubt (which also gets a bit repetitive). Hornblower is more consistently focused on naval action, whereas Aubrey/Maturin veers from naval action to political intrigue to love story to relationship development.

That makes the O'Brian sound more interesting to me.

I will start with either Master and Commander, or Post Captain.

I'm treating myself to the lovely looking hardcover editions.

I see there is a sumptuous companion guide released as well, from 2004:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0762415401/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Archived