Personal Favorite Quotes - Merged threads

Water Dancing

Near the very beginning of Game of Thrones, Ned Stark totally knocks it out the park with these two:

"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you can not do that, then perhaps the men does not deserve to die. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

Bran - "Can a man still be brave when he's afraid?"

Ned - "That's the only time a man can be brave."

And of course, "HOT PIE!"

Well, there's the obvious:

The gold cloak drew a shortsword. "Here's your law."

"That's no law, just a sword. Happens I got one, too." - Yoren

One of my personal favorites:

"Lord Snow wants to take my place now. I'd have an easier time teaching a wolf to juggle than you will training this aurochs."

"I'll take that wager, Ser Alliser. I'd love to see Ghost juggle." - Jon

I also quite adore that dialogue at the beginning of ACoK when Cersei keeps hitting Tyrion. I about died the first time I read it.

Damn I wish I owned the books. I'd post every word that comes out of Edd's mouth. I seem to particularly remember one rambling dialogue from the beginning of ADwD when Jon tells him he wants roast raven for breakfast.

"NO, DON'T, I gave you your answer, you said you would let me go!"

"Seems to me that what I said was I'd tell them to let you go. Lem, let him go."

"Go bugger yourself." - Merrett Frey, Tom Sevenstrings, Lem Lemoncloak

And on a less humorous note, any time Jaime corrects someone that her name is Brienne is absolutely heartwarming.

• 1 month later...

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

Tyrion Lannister, AGoT

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Tyrion Lannister, AGoT

“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'

'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

AGoT

“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

Ned, AGoT

"I'm not threatening the King, Ser, I'm educating my nephew."

Tyrion Lannister

“Power resides only where men believe it resides. [...] A shadow on the wall, yet shadows can kill. And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow.”

Varys, ACoK

“Every man must die, Jon Snow. But first he must live.”

Ygritte, ASoS

Old stories are like old friends, she used to say. You have to visit them from time to time."

Bran quoting Old Nan, ASoS

“Egg?” he said, as the rain streamed down his cheeks. “Egg, I dreamed that I was old.”

Maester Aemon, AFfC

“What could he have done, one man against so many?"

He could have tried, Brienne thought.”

AFfC

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

Jojen Reed, ADWD

"Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born."

Maester Aemon, ADWD

“A man might befriend a wolf, even break a wolf, but no man could truly tame a wolf.”

[Oberyn]: 'And well you might, since you were said to have one, a stiff curly tail like a swine’s. Your head was monstrous huge, we heard, half again the size of your body, and you had been born with thick black hair and a beard besides, an evil eye, and lion’s claws. Your teeth were so long you could not close your mouth, and between your legs were a girl’s privates as well as a boy’s.”

[Tyrion]: “Life would be much simpler if men could fuck themselves, don’t you agree? And I can think of a few times when claws and teeth might have proved useful. Even so, I begin to see the nature of your complaint.”

:lol: :lol:

'

"Do you even know what honor is?" - Brynden Tully

A horse - Jaime Lannister (to himself)

- "There will be pain." (Qyburn)

- "I'll scream." (Jaime Lannister)

- "A great deal of pain."

- "I'll scream very loudly."

"Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out." - "Dolorous" Edd Tollett

"I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood."- Rodrik "The Reader" Harlaw

"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood." -Doran Martell

“Egg?” he said, as the rain streamed down his cheeks. “Egg, I dreamed that I was old.” - Maester Aemon

I had to put the book down and convince myself to stop crying already at the last quote.

"Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out." - "Dolorous" Edd Tollett

YES!!! Funniest shit ever. I crack up every time I read this.

"I used to live in a place like this. Then I fell on hard times."

That might be a paraphrase; don't have Clash in front of me.

IDamn I wish I owned the books. I'd post every word that comes out of Edd's mouth. I seem to particularly remember one rambling dialogue from the beginning of ADwD when Jon tells him he wants roast raven for breakfast.

You DON'T OWN THE BOOKS?

From the most underrated badass Northman, Big Bucket Wull:

"I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What mean want does not matter...Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue."

Amen brother.

“Gods be good, why would any man ever want to be be king? when everyone was shouting King in the North, King in the North, I told myself…swore to myself… that I would be a good king, as honorable as father, strong, just, loyal to my friends and brave when I faced my enemies… now I can’t even tell one from the other. how did it all get so confused?”

“It was different when there was a Stark in Winterfell. but the old wolf’s dead, and the young one’s gone south to play the game of thrones, and all that’s left us is the ghosts”

"You're mine. Mine as I'm yours. And if we die, we die. Every man must die, Jon Snow. But first we'll live."

"is this the sound of a kingdom falling?”

"Jon smiled a strange, sad smile. “and pull your hood up. the snowflakes are melting in your hair.” “

“so Jon Snow took the wineskin from his hands and had a swallow. but only one. the night was dark, the wall was his, and he had a king to face.”

Archived