A Thread for Small Questions for ADwD IV

Angalin

see that is what I thought too. But then did Cersi have a back up plan that involved bringing Gregor back. I ask because of the way she told her uncle to give Qyburn the message that "its time".

She says it because they had previously discussed it. Qyburn tells Cersei that he has a champion for her. She might suspect he's up to something by ordering the freakishly heavy armor. She tells him she has to be championed by a KG. He says something like if the time comes let me know. This is why when she finds out about Ser Aery's death she tells her uncle to pass on the message, "It's time." It isn't known if she suspects Gregor. When she is told he took a vow of silence she seems pretty happy about it. That leads me to believe she knows something isn't right about him.

see that is what I thought too. But then did Cersi have a back up plan that involved bringing Gregor back. I ask because of the way she told her uncle to give Qyburn the message that "its time".

Qyburn had been turning Gregor into Cersei's "champion" all throughout AFFC. He even broached the subject of using him to defend her at the very end of that book. So Robert Strong's appearance is just the natural follow-through on what has been set up since AFFC.

Why didn't Coldhands (or Bloodraven) not want to tell John of Bran's existence? I can't think of a good reason why they would keep the secret from him

It wasn't Coldhands, Bran didn't want anyone to know that he was still alive with the Reeds, and made Sam promise not to tell anyone; anyone included Jon.

It wasn't Coldhands, Bran didn't want anyone to know that he was still alive with the Reeds, and made Sam promise not to tell anyone; anyone included Jon.

Wait, what? I felt sure it was BR's idea emanated through Coldhands. Are you sure about this?

And yes, even if so, the question remains, and it also remains to be asked why didn't any of the adults (Sam, Coldhands, or even Meera and Jojen, even though not adults) confront Bran about it if one of them thought Jon deserves to know, Sam especially?

So am I late to the game on this, is the rattleshirt that jon sword played with really someone else? Which explains why he was so good with the sword.

If you haven't finished ADwD don't read this:

Rattleshirt is actually Mance Rayder glamoured by Mel

Thanks, makes sense. I looked up new moon rituals and came across some intersting stuff relating to celtic and nordic mythology that sounded all to familiar from ASOIAF, so thanks for the guidance - was useful.

This was interesting:

[

The New Moon is used for personal growth, healing, the blessing of a new project or venture, etc. If done correctly, success should be obtained by the first Full Moon.*

This is the time when the Crone is transformed into the Maiden. It is a time of renewal and new beginnings.

The Maiden is essential to the continuation of all life; her color is white, denoting innocence and newness. She is the springtime, the dawn, eternal youth and vigor, enchantment and seduction, the new and waxing moon.**

How serious are Old man Mandalays injury? I get the impression that his injuries are serious. Was it but a scratch?

Wyman Manderly had three of his six chins cut and he lost plenty of blood and needed medical attention, but he is still alive. It appears he is still well enough to be able to lead his forces.

Wyman Manderly had three of his six chins cut and he lost plenty of blood and needed medical attention, but he is still alive. It appears he is still well enough to be able to lead his forces.

I seriously doubt Manderly will be leading his forces against Stannis. It doesn't make sense to take him on a days long journey by cart, wagon, or litter to a frozen battlefield. He'll send his troops under the command of one of his lieutenants.

As we`ve seen from Bran`s POV`s the weirwoods south of the Wall are part of the overall weirwood network. Is it possible that the Wall is not as powerful as we`ve been led to imagine? Is it just a ruse, a false shield to make those in the South feel safer than they actually are?

If the Wall is to stop certain magical aspects from travelling south, and the COTF and Bloodraven are as evil as people suspect, why can they access those weirwoods south of the Wall? Surely that is the very kind of thing the Wall was built to prevent? Or do I have all this backwards?

As we`ve seen from Bran`s POV`s the weirwoods south of the Wall are part of the overall weirwood network. Is it possible that the Wall is not as powerful as we`ve been led to imagine? Is it just a ruse, a false shield to make those in the South feel safer than they actually are?

If the Wall is to stop certain magical aspects from travelling south, and the COTF and Bloodraven are as evil as people suspect, why can they access those weirwoods south of the Wall? Surely that is the very kind of thing the Wall was built to prevent? Or do I have all this backwards?

The Wall can prevent magical creatures such as Others and wights going beyond it, but not magic in general. Magic is everywhere, even over and above the Wall.

So do we have proof the Jon umber is alive either at the twins or heading to Kings landing? I know the Umbers have to play along just in case but do we know for sure if he is alive.

In the ADwD and AFfC appendices, it is stated that the Greatjon is captive at the Twins, and his name isn't in brackets that indicate death.

Archived