A Thread for Small Questions for ADwD IV

Angalin

At Ramsay's wedding, Lady Dustin intimates to Reek that Ned's pop caused all the ruckus with Aerys (i.e. getting executed) by aranging 'the Tully marriage' (i.e. Cat + Brandon) on the advice of his maester (Walys). What is the go here?

At Ramsay's wedding, Lady Dustin intimates to Reek that Ned's pop caused all the ruckus with Aerys (i.e. getting executed) by aranging 'the Tully marriage' (i.e. Cat + Brandon) on the advice of his maester (Walys). What is the go here?

Some believe in a big Maester Conspiracy.

But I find it a little far fetched.

You may want to read this thread, for example.

Does anyone know exactly what happened at summerhall? its only referred to peripherally in books 2-5. i dont own AGoT and dont remember if its explained in more detail there, but given what i know about Egg (Aegon V Targaryen) from the Dunk & Egg stories, he definitely seems levelheaded and certainly NOT one of the dragon-crazy Targs. It has been said (IIRC by Barristan Selmy) that mental illness sometimes manifests later in life for some targaryens, like with Aerys, who was apperently not "mad" in his younger years but only became truly crazy later on. Still, though, Prince Maekar specifically let Egg squire for a hedge knight (Ser Duncan the Tall) to keep him saner than his crazy brothers, and yet, it seems like Egg completely lost it later on, culminating with the summerhall tragedy... does anyone know specifically what happened there, besides him and his son dying, and Rheagar believing, because of this, that he was TPWWP, born amongst smoke and tears and the death of two kings??

Does anyone know exactly what happened at summerhall? its only referred to peripherally in books 2-5. i dont own AGoT and dont remember if its explained in more detail there, but given what i know about Egg (Aegon V Targaryen) from the Dunk & Egg stories, he definitely seems levelheaded and certainly NOT one of the dragon-crazy Targs. It has been said (IIRC by Barristan Selmy) that mental illness sometimes manifests later in life for some targaryens, like with Aerys, who was apperently not "mad" in his younger years but only became truly crazy later on. Still, though, Prince Maekar specifically let Egg squire for a hedge knight (Ser Duncan the Tall) to keep him saner than his crazy brothers, and yet, it seems like Egg completely lost it later on, culminating with the summerhall tragedy... does anyone know specifically what happened there, besides him and his son dying, and Rheagar believing, because of this, that he was TPWWP, born amongst smoke and tears and the death of two kings??

We haven't been given details. Just that some tradegy happened there and Rhaegar would often seclude himself there.

@Lord Tywin´s Privy

You could ask your question in this thread, maybe you´ll get some interesting points of view. I don´t think GRRM has revealed Egg´s motivation or precisely what he was trying to do at Summerhall.

@ Lykos and King Doug

Thanks! I thought i was crazy because the "tragedy at summerhall" is referred to so often not just in the threads but in the books i thought the specific story of what happened mightve been given in its entirety at some point.

I think we will learn about it in the Dunk and Egg stories, probably the last one since that is when they die. The biggest mystery that is referenced a lot in the books that I want to hear more about is the Doom of Valyria. Was it the Faceless Men? Or a magical blunder? Natural disaster? I hope we do learn about it, but I have no idea if we will.

Do we have any information about when the betrothal between Robert Baratheon and Lyanna Stark was made public knowledge? When it was originally made?

We know that the Brandon Stark- Catelyn Tully announcement was when Cat was 12.

Do we have any information about when the betrothal between Robert Baratheon and Lyanna Stark was made public knowledge? When it was originally made?

All we know is that it was announced sometime after Mya Stone was born. Mya was 19 in ASOS, so I'd guess she was born around 3-4 years before the end of the war.

@ Dragonfish Thanks for the info. I have since looked up the relevant passages. Ned is in WF with Lyanna "on the night long ago when their father had promised her hand to the young lord of Storm's End." So it was after Steffon died. And Mya Stone had already been born.

So there was a small window of time between the betrothal and the Harrenhal tourney.

• 3 weeks later...

Ran mentions an obsucre moment of Barristan Selmy badassery in ADWD in this youtube video:

Now, I've read the Barristan chapters, and he has many moments of badassery...but none that I would term obscure.

Won't you kind board members help me find the obscure moment Ran is alluding to?

Do we have any definitive clues as to the race (type?) of man that AA was?

To me the timeline suggests that he was one of the First Men - Long Night 8000 years ago, in Westeros, where there were only COTF, Others and First Men. I don't know how that really factors in to pointing out who AA is now, although it may bank some points for Jon (blood of First Men, maybe Valyrian blood too).

Maybe he was half human half COTF? Or even half Other/human...

Do we have any definitive clues as to the race (type?) of man that AA was?

To me the timeline suggests that he was one of the First Men...

You're assuming that the Azor Ahai of the R'hllor faith is the same historical figure as the Last Hero of Westerosi legend. There's no definitive answer to your question, but there are several speculative threads on this forum about [Last Hero/Azor Ahai/Prince who was Promised] that might interest you.

You're assuming that the Azor Ahai of the R'hllor faith is the same historical figure as the Last Hero of Westerosi legend. There's no definitive answer to your question, but there are several speculative threads on this forum about [Last Hero/Azor Ahai/Prince who was Promised] that might interest you.

Yes I just thought since the legends sound so similar. I'll check out those threads - and for those trying to search for topics, just google them and add this to the search string site:asoiaf.westeros.org - this gets around those funky problems with the search on this site.

Also, this could be reaching, but what if AA/PwwP/Last Hero are 3 different people (and are the 3 heads of the dragon)? Anyways, off to those threads...

Archived