SQL issues

Cerulean

Since I first started lurking and reading on this forum, I've been having SQL issues. I've tried browsing on Chrome as well as IE to see if that would resolve the issue, but it seems to be server-side.

Clicking a link to another post will cause this issue, even clicking next page (or one of the numbers for a subsequent page) will sometimes prompt htis error.

Also, attempting to search will randomly cause this issue. At times I can search and peruse just fine, other times it's a problem. I briefly scanned the Help forum to see if this topic was anywhere else - if I missed it and am double posting something already noted, I sincerely apologize.

Servers can be a royal P.I.T.A. to maintain, and SQL isn't always the most entertaining endeavor - I know.

We're doing what we can in terms of turning off database-intensive functions, but unfortunately it isn't quite enough to eliminate all the errors as traffic is increasing when we approach the next season.

We're not handling the server or the sql directly ourselves, so we're at the mercy of what we can do with the software itself to cut back on queries. There's a new version of IPB in beta that is supposed to have a lot better performance, so we hope we can upgrade before the show starts.

I'm not techie at all, so the answer may be a resounding NO, but is there anything that we can do from our own connections that would help alleviate the issue? Any settings to change, not have multiple connections open (Smart phone & PC at the same time for example?), sacrifice a live chicken to the server gods?

Unfortunately, no. It's all down to the number of queries the database gets, and that's really down to the number of users who are on at a given point in time. This is why board performance is remarkably shittier once it gets into the work-day, Pacific Time, because everyone not in Asia is potentially attempting to connect to the board or wiki.

And things may be a bit bad at the moment, as we're trying some things to try and eke out better DB performance. Sorry, folks, we really are working on stuff in the background! Just takes some time.

Unfortunately, no. It's all down to the number of queries the database gets, and that's really down to the number of users who are on at a given point in time. This is why board performance is remarkably shittier once it gets into the work-day, Pacific Time, because everyone not in Asia is potentially attempting to connect to the board or wiki.

Surely you don't mean to suggest that people are reading the boards when they're supposed to be working! What a shocking and scandalous accusation!

The Shadow Fox,

We do go into performance mode during the busier hours, which disables profiles and pms and search among other things, but sometimes its not enough.

In terms of being able to move to a better server, its been in the works for a long time but unfortunately various complications have gotten in the way.

I'm not techie at all, so the answer may be a resounding NO, but is there anything that we can do from our own connections that would help alleviate the issue? Any settings to change, not have multiple connections open (Smart phone & PC at the same time for example?), sacrifice a live chicken to the server gods?

When I get that SQL error (which says it's a problem at my end but I don't think that's true as it sounds like the same problem described above) I just keep hitting the refresh button until the page begins to load normally instead of repeating the error message. 95% of the time, that works every time.

I was going to write a post on this myself. I keep getting the SQL error. What is it and what does it mean? I also refresh the page and generally it goes away.

The error means that as you tried to load the page, the SQL server was overloaded. It comes and goes, that's why a reload often fixes it.

Hmmm...I should have

Hmm. I should have started more simply. What is a SQL server? Thanks, Linda.

Its part of the backend, the software that runs the forum. Basically, the computer that runs the board (and the wiki) occasionally cannot handle all the traffic because its all dynamic content served up from a database. So it has to access the database and search for information whenever someone loads a page.

Archived