The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

Got TLOIAF as a Christmas gift. Still looking it over, but damn, the east part of Essos is large and weird.

And I guess Mussovy taken from Muscovy? Would be great to see some Slavic flavour in GRRM's world (okay, not THAT straightforward as in Warhammer's Kislev)

I always thought the area around Qohor was like that anyway.

Kings Landing is HUGE! Is it just my ignorance and bad memory combined, or is it true that we have had no major action over the Dragon Pit? Also, Cerseis walk of shame covered some distance, poor incest lady with stretch marks and all.

About Braavos, that aqueducty-thing is cool, got to have fresh water for the Sealord.

And those lands East from Dothraki Sea.. Wow. Red lakes, enormous cliffs that make Grand Canyon look like a small dent on dirt, and apparently as you go far enough, men with wings and without blood live there, no dragons like in Earth.

Asshai and all that black, spoiled looking land and ghowt grass also gets your imagination going. Hopefully we get even some comments about that region, maybe from Euron or from that Qwaixzherfqwy-something lady who occasionally shows up to Dany.

Oh how I would want to hear about the story of the Five Forts!

I already framed 3 of the posters and they look pretty great.Unfortunately if you look them from too close you can see the white crease but still they are great.I love the Bravos one but unfortunately I didn't have enough space for 3 horizontals so I did the world,westeros and beyond the wall.

I already framed 3 of the posters and they look pretty great.Unfortunately if you look them from too close you can see the white crease but still they are great.I love the Bravos one but unfortunately I didn't have enough space for 3 horizontals so I did the world,westeros and beyond the wall.

What did you use to frame em?

I got these maps yesterday, which was exciting. I echo what has been said about the lands to the east, which were really interesting to see.

Can we draw any conclusions by the inclusion/exclusion of certain maps? I would have expected a city map of Mereen, perhaps in place of the more in depth map of the Dothraki Sea, which, whilst nice, did not give us any information that twas not already present in enough detail in other maps. Given we seem to be about to have a pitched battle in Mereen, a map would be nice. Does the inclusion of a map of Braavos suggest that we might be seeing more action there in the last two books than in Mereen?

Also, the journeys map was really interesting, to see just how far characters are travelling in relatively short spaces of time, and the implications for the speed of a Khalasar vs the speed of a ship. Although I have to say this map does get a bit complicated in the region around Harrenhall, the riverlands and king's landing, and a detailed cut away of this region might have been benificial. A key, when trying to disinguish 21 (?) different colours could also have been helpful here. It is very interesting to know exactly where Dany and Bran and Stannis are at the end of ADWD.

Definately worth it for the number of posters at the Amazon price, however.

Im looking at the journeys map, whereabouts were the dragons born?

The wiki says they went to Lhazar where Drogo got his injury, then I'm not really sure how far they went before Dany asked Miri to save him. Does the journeys map reflect any of this? I don't have it to hand, but I though Dany's line went straight from Vaes Dothrak to Vaes Tolloro?

The wiki says they went to Lhazar where Drogo got his injury, then I'm not really sure how far they went before Dany asked Miri to save him. Does the journeys map reflect any of this? I don't have it to hand, but I though Dany's line went straight from Vaes Dothrak to Vaes Tolloro?

From Vaes Dothrak, the line goes directly south into the Red Waste just East of Lhazar on down to Vaes Tolorro.

There are a few cities just west of the line. Is it known what city Miri lived in when they invaded?

From Vaes Dothrak, the line goes directly south into the Red Waste just East of Lhazar on down to Vaes Tolorro.

There are a few cities just west of the line. Is it known what city Miri lived in when they invaded?

I remember khal Pono herded the captured slaves downriver [skahazadhan] after Drogo fell from his horse. So,i guess it must have been the city of Kosrak,which looks inhabited and on the course of the river,either a smaller town or village.

I'm surprised on the size of Qarth. I expected it to be ginormous,but Volantis and even Meereen are a lot bigger

I would have expected a city map of Mereen, perhaps in place of the more in depth map of the Dothraki Sea, which, whilst nice, did not give us any information that twas not already present in enough detail in other maps. Given we seem to be about to have a pitched battle in Mereen, a map would be nice. Does the inclusion of a map of Braavos suggest that we might be seeing more action there in the last two books than in Mereen?

The city maps are probably my favorite in it. I would love another book with a map of Mereen since its hard to piece together in the book.

Unless more POV characters move to Braavos I can't see it getting a lot of action in the last 2 books apart from Arya's story.

Archived