What would count as ASOIAF closure for you?

Capon Breath

There are so many plots and unnanswered questions it got me thinking - what do I actually need the next 2(?) books to resolve to give me closure assuming all the plots surely cant be resolved?

I need to see the Freys get some eically biblical revenge enacted on them for the red wedding.

Likewise for Ramsey (i'd be OK if Roose escapes)

I need to know Tyrions fate

I need to know who ends up on the Iron Throne

I need to know Stannis' fate (if its different from above)

I need to know how Cersei & Jaime take each other out (if thats what happens)

I need to see Howland Reed & find out about Jons Parentage for sure

I need to know Jons fate

I need to understand about White walkers, what they are and who's/whats behind them

If i knew those answers I can probably live with that.

theres lots of other stuff i'd love to have resolved but could live without.

Theres also loads of major stuff i'd be surprisingly indifferent about. (Yep turns out i'm seemingly not that that fussed about Bran or Dany)

What would you need to get closure?

All the living Starks, as many alive as possible, gather in the crypt to inter Ned's bones and Robb's. It's a lovely spring day. I know, ain't gonna happen, but you asked.

I really just want R+L=J confirmed, plus details of ToJ, Robert's Rebellion, Tourney at Harrenhal, Rickard's "southron ambitions" and confirmation of Lemore=Ashara. I am mainly interested in that historical period +/- a few years either side of the Rebellion. The 'present day' stuff doesn't niggle me as much as the historical stuff.

There are so many plots and unnanswered questions it got me thinking - what do I actually need the next 2(?) books to resolve to give me closure assuming all the plots surely cant be resolved?

I need to see the Freys get some eically biblical revenge enacted on them for the red wedding.

Likewise for Ramsey (i'd be OK if Roose escapes)

I need to know Tyrions fate

I need to know who ends up on the Iron Throne

I need to know Stannis' fate (if its different from above)

I need to know how Cersei & Jaime take each other out (if thats what happens)

I need to see Howland Reed & find out about Jons Parentage for sure

I need to know Jons fate

I need to understand about White walkers, what they are and who's/whats behind them

If i knew those answers I can probably live with that.

theres lots of other stuff i'd love to have resolved but could live without.

Theres also loads of major stuff i'd be surprisingly indifferent about. (Yep turns out i'm seemingly not that that fussed about Bran or Dany)

What would you need to get closure?

That just about covers it for me, but I also want to know what Arya's going to do with her FM training, which might overlap with the epic biblical revenge on the Frey's thing.

I want Howland Reed to finally emerge and explain all about the ToJ and either confirm or deny R+L=J, just so that's done with. I'd prefer it to be true, but him appearing would be enough for me :P

I want Dany to do something or go away. She could be brilliant, she has so much potential, but she keeps faffing around in Essos and I'm losing patience with her.

Whatever is beyond the Wall needs to be revealed and either vanquished or befriended, whatever fits best.

Agree about Lemore = Ashara, Alleras = Sarella, Coldhands = Benjen, Jojen = Howland Reed? Aegon? = Aegon. All of these need to be answered - not too fussed either way, so long as they're answered. Same goes for who/where Jaqen and Syrio are.

Many, many more Frey pies need to be made. Ramsay - I won't go into details, but you get the picture. Theon needs to either die or be delivered from his suffering in another way - I cannot stand to see him hurting for another two books. Let the boy die or set him free to live a quiet, happy life with Jeyne.

Rickon needs to be found and brought back.

Melisandre needs to be outed - same goes for AA/TPTWP, that all needs to come to a head. "The dragon has three heads" too.

Arya needs to kill Cersei (or someone does), and become Queen in the North, be reunited with Nymeria and Jon, and live happily sword-fighting with Gendry at Winterfell.

That's all I can think of at the moment :P

1. Dany coming back to Westeros.

2. Tyrion's fate and the future of House Lannister.

3. Cersei, Jaime and their children's fate/ the Valonqar prophecy.

4. R + L = J true or untrue and Jon's fate.

5. Who will sit the Iron Throne, if the throne even still exists at the end of the series.

6. The Others, Azor Ahai/TPTWP, The Battle for the Realm of Men

7. The fate of the Stark children.

8. Littlefinger and Varys' endgame.

There are many other loose ends but I NEED to know these 8 issues before I would be satisfied with the ending.

As long as no one goes and meets some random deity, of whom there is no foreshadowing of its existence, who reveals that its been controlling The Others in order to prevent people from creating zombies that would kill them who then offers the hero three different colored options as to how they'd like to commit suicide and eliminate all of Westeros and the Free cities along with every other civilization, I will be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just need to find out what happens to the Night's Watch and The Wall - if the wall remains standing and if the Watch continues as it has for the last few hundred generations or if it evolves into something else.

Must have happen:

1. Conclusive information on the Others/old gods/greenseers/children of the forest/R'hollor -- aka magic and religion
  2. For Arya to have a happy ending, whether through revenge or reconciliation with family or both

Would like to have happen:

1. ToJ explained
  2. Revenge on Freys and Boltons
  3. A Stark back in Winterfell
  4. Dany either dead or in Westeros, no more Essos lingering
  5. Varys' true motives explained

I would like to see the whole backstory of the Tower of Joy fleshed out a little, just for my personal curiosity.

Other than that, I think closure is the most overrated concept in the history of fiction. I would like two books that are enjoyable to read and don't ruin themselves trying to tie up the thousands of plot-lines Martin opened.

Interesting. I'd never given much thought to their arc other than its effect on the the rest of the world...nor supposed something other than themselves was behind them. I can see this one being unsatisfied...I think they just are.

Archived