What would count as ASOIAF closure for you?

Capon Breath

Every single mystery solved. Okay that's unrealistic, Lost taught me that sometimes it's impossible to solve every single question :bawl:

I mainly want Arya to survive and have a happy ending

Ser Barristan/Jaime to die or survive but that they feels that they did an overall good in this world and that they honored their vows and that people remember them

Varys' story would be awesome

End of the boltons/freys

R+L=J, along with any other Raeghar information

That's basically it character wise, I'm content with whatever GRRM about the other characters as long as it's well written.

More information on the different religions would be sweet and any other historical facts really

"Mercy," Lord Baelish begged, tripping over the bloodied corpses of Lord Varys and Lord Bolton. "Mercy, my lord! Please!"

"Take him away," muttered King UnJoffrey Baratheon, the First (Second?) of his Name. "I'll have him killed tomorrow, the fool."

"Mercy," Lord Baelish begged, tripping over the bloodied corpses of Lord Varys and Lord Bolton. "Mercy, my lord! Please!"

"Take him away," muttered King UnJoffrey Baratheon, the First (Second?) of his Name. "I'll have him killed tomorrow, the fool."

I was going to like this, but I ran out. :P

Every single mystery solved. Okay that's unrealistic, Lost taught me that sometimes it's impossible to solve every single question

Yah, but can you imagine how terrible all of Lost would have been if they only created mysteries they knew how to solve?

To be honest I'd much rather Martin focus on bringing the character arcs together in interesting ways (which he seems to be doing, at least in Essos). Dany interacting with Victarion or Tyrion is going to be much more satisfying than whatever solution Martin can come up with to ruin the badass mystery that is the Others.

Three main things that need to be resolved:

1. Dany's arrival/integration in Westeros

2. Some sort of ruler(s) established in the seven kingdoms

3. Conflict with the others

They don't have to prove negatives, so if Jon really is Ned's son, they could legitimately never reveal who his mother is, but these three things are vital.

That said, I'm 99% sure Jon is the song of Ice (Lyanna) and Fire (Rhaegar,) he will survive, and Howland Reed will explain it to him.

Yah, but can you imagine how terrible all of Lost would have been if they only created mysteries they knew how to solve?

To be honest I'd much rather Martin focus on bringing the character arcs together in interesting ways (which he seems to be doing, at least in Essos). Dany interacting with Victarion or Tyrion is going to be much more satisfying than whatever solution Martin can come up with to ruin the badass mystery that is the Others.

There had better be more answers than the last season of Lost offered, or I'll do some book-throwing and have massive cyber-tantrums. I don't necessarily expect that every single character's destiny be clarified, or that we'll find out the fate of Tyrek Lannister, but GRRM really should resolve at least the major plotlines and give some direction to the lives of (or revelations of the deaths of) the more important minor characters:

1. The defeat of or containment of the Others

2. The return of at least two surviving children of Ned Stark to Winterfell and the return of House Stark as a power at least in the North (and the restoration of Winterfell would be nice).

3. The revelation of Jon Stark's parentage - Rhaegar/Lyanna, Ned/Wylla, Ned/Ashara, Brandon/Ashara, Robert/Lyanna, or Arthur Dayne/Lyanna for all I know. Just get it out in the open already.

4. Daenerys figuring out what she's going to do with her life - ruin cities in Essos, be the second coming of Aegon the Conqueror, battle the Others, or find a house with a red door and play house with Daario :bang: .

5. Deaths or destinies of Jon Snow, the young Starks, Stannis, Melisandre, Shireen, Davos, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Tommen and Myrcella, Jorah, Selmy, Aegon, Jon C., the Boltons (including Fat Walda, who I hope survives), the Freys, Edmure and Roslin Tully, Jeyne Westerling (did she or didn't she whelp the Young Wolf's cub?), Margaery Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Sam Tarly and various Night's Watch men, Gilly, Val, and the swapped babies, Maester Marwyn, Victarion, Euron, Asha, Theon, Jeyne Poole, Strong Belwas and various Dothraki, Littlefinger, Varys, Qyburn, the High Septon, Bronn, Sandor, Nymeria, Ghost, Summer, Shaggydog, (hopefully) Stranger, Meera and Jojen, Old Nan, and Benjen Stark! (I can live with never knowing what happens to Areo Hotah at the end of it all, believe me!) They don't all need chapters, some of the characters' conditions at the end of the series can be determined by a paragraph or a line or two.

6. Someone claiming the Iron Throne, even if the Red Keep has become a pile of rubble around it.

7. Maybe Tyrion finding out where whores go, or at least Tysha, who kills him in the last novel's Epilogue. (Or the series could end with Tyrion ruling what's left of the southern kingdoms, who knows!)

The epilogue of the last book; the first POV chapter (and appearance) of Howland Reed. In this chapter Reed has a conversation with Littlefinger, Varys and a character called Appleus Martinus. Appleus demands to know what happened at the Tower of Joy and if R + L = J, Reed laughs it off as Lyanna was never with child. Ned just promised peace, and Jon's real parents are Ned and a tavern wench he met while away with Robert.

Oh, and alot of dead Freys.

-Really want to hear more exact detail behind the lines "Promise me...Ned" (Overall would like more Tower of Joy mysteries taken care of) as an honourable mention since it would relate, would be nice if Howland Reed made an appearance.

-Want Gendry and Arya to reunite :P

-Have a major Stark reunited comeback, especially if it involves returning to Winterfell.

-More cover towards the mysteries/buildup/potential major battles that are surrounding The Others.

-Ramsay suffers an awful death.

-Truth behind Varys' overall schemes.

-What really caused the Doom of Valyria.

-I want at least one deserving character to have a true happy ending, especially after a whole bunch of BS happening. It's unrealistic to expect all of them to achieve that, and it was already stated that the general ending consensus would be a bittersweet one. And that is fine. But it still would be nice to have an itty bitty side where someone gets honest inner peace and contentment in life. Afterall, when the series ends, I don't want to be entirely depressed! Haha :lol:

-And of course, if those prophecies (Like Azor or the Prince) would actually occur, or if they are nothing more than fleeting lines.

Then there are others: Aegon's parentage, who Quaithe really is, Melissandre's true appearance, who gets the Iron Throne.

And based on curiousity, not on necessity: Want to learn more about Skagos.

Yeah...that wasn't a short ist at all. Darn you ASOIAF and your amazingly detailed plots.

Theon needs to either die or be delivered from his suffering in another way - I cannot stand to see him hurting for another two books. Let the boy die or set him free to live a quiet, happy life with Jeyne.

I must admit, I haven't given much thought to Theon's life after this all ends (assuming of course, that he makes it out alive.) If the eventual Lord/King of the North realizes he never killed Bran and Rickon, and he plays his part in the retaking of Winterfell, what do you think of "House Greyjoy of the Hornwood?"

There had better be more answers than the last season of Lost offered, or I'll do some book-throwing and have massive cyber-tantrums. I don't necessarily expect that every single character's destiny be clarified, or that we'll find out the fate of Tyrek Lannister, but GRRM really should resolve at least the major plotlines and give some direction to the lives of (or revelations of the deaths of) the more important minor characters:

It's a difference of emphasis, I suppose. To me, the sense of unknown is what makes a mystery a good plot device. In fiction the mystery is almost always more compelling than the answer, and the answer is certainly not worth twisting the plot at the expense of other pleasures. With ASOIAF the pleasure is the characters and world building. I would hate to see Martin contort every major character into a "destiny" when the reality is that the characters and the world he has created aren't designed to end in neat little arcs.

Its pretty insignificant to the main story line, but I really want Jon Snow to kick the living shit out of Godry the Giantslayer (i think thats his name). That seen where he talked all that shit to Jon really pissed me off and I won't be satisfied till Jon whoops his ass.

I must admit, I haven't given much thought to Theon's life after this all ends (assuming of course, that he makes it out alive.) If the eventual Lord/King of the North realizes he never killed Bran and Rickon, and he plays his part in the retaking of Winterfell, what do you think of "House Greyjoy of the Hornwood?"

How about 'House Greyjoy of the Dreadfort"?

I'm not arguing, at all. I'm honestly just intrigued. What kind of 'explanation' are people expecting about the Others?

I really haven't even imagined one. Like the shark in Jaws, to me it just is.

What are the questions people see answered? What's their motivation? Why they've been asleep, that kind of thing?

I want Rhaegar and Lyanna's relationship clarified, and whether or not Jon is their son, and if not, what it was Ned promised Lyanna as she died.

I want Dany, Arya, Tyrion to find some kind of happy ending, or at least a satisfying ending that makes them victor of their personal stories.

I want it clear who wins the Iron Throne, or maybe a new throne, either way, who wins it all.

I WANT RAMSAY BOLTON TO DIE.

And I would like minor characters like Hodor, Meera, Jojen, Jorah, Gendry, Edmure, Rickon, Asha to live.

I'm not arguing, at all. I'm honestly just intrigued. What kind of 'explanation' are people expecting about the Others?

I really haven't even imagined one. Like the shark in Jaws, to me it just is.

What are the questions people see answered? What's their motivation? Why they've been asleep, that kind of thing?

I'm with you. To me, the White Walkers and the Others are almost the essence of winter itself, so why can't they just stay north of the wall and...stay. As long as some way of containing them takes place, well, just let them be contained and it can be left at that.

To me, closure would be all the remaining Starks reunited in Winterfell so they can rebuild it and regain their strength, and Dany on the Iron Throne trying to figure out what the hell to do with a Westeros in ruins after warfare and winter. I hope Jon stays as Lord Commander at the wall regardless of his heritage.

There are of course a multitude of minor characters I care about as well, but my main interest has always been in the Starks (especially Sansa and Arya), Jon and Dany. The story started with Winterfell/the Starks and with Dany. I hope it will end with them as well, coming full circle.

Personally I don't want him to make it out alive. I want him to be put out of his misery, poor sod. But if somehow he does, I don't think he'll want power again - maybe he'll be too scared to take it in case someone else comes along and takes it from him again. Besides, who will follow a turncloak such as himself? If he makes it out alive, I hope he lives happily in the woods with Jeyne Poole, not necessarily a relationship but just happily living together in a little cabin, making jam or whatever the hell they want to do :lol:

Archived