Why Jon Snow is NOT A TARGARYEN!

ArrysOakheart

Which Targaryens practiced polygamy? Was there any in recent years?

Aegon the conqueror married both of his sisters and got cildren from both of them.

But as far as I know there have been no Targs who praticed polygamy in recent years.

Except Rhaegar.

Yes because Robb is dead and all of his followers have since sworn allegiance to the Iron Throne and forsaken any vows to the King in the North.

Not at all. Manderley clearly and for that matter all the houses in Winterfell are not there for Roose Bolton. All the northern clans that are with Stannis to save the "Ned's girl". If there were oaths taken, they were with fingers crossed.

Call me a bit dense, but... How could a marriage take place if Rhaegar was married to Elia? We know Elia died right at the end of it all and by medieval standards bigamy was a huge deal.

It means that Jon is a bastard regardless of R + L = J and considering how many of Robert's are floating around, plus any that Aerys might have had, it makes Jon's claim to the Iron Throne very weak.

Looking at the vision from the HOTU Rhaegar is explaining to Elia that one more is needed. Elia may know by this time that she cant have another baby. I think she was totally on board with whatever Rhaegar needed to do to get the one more. Not sure who gets to be the PWWP since in that vision Rhaegar thought it was Aegon.

Then why wasn't it mentioned in Neds chapters that she went missing for 9 months

Ned never mentioned urinating or taking a dump at any point during his POV. Based on this evidence, it is obvious he did not have normal human excretory functioning, so obviously he was either a wight or an Other.

Looking at the vision from the HOTU Rhaegar is explaining to Elia that one more is needed. Elia may know by this time that she cant have another baby. I think she was totally on board with whatever Rhaegar needed to do to get the one more. Not sure who gets to be the PWWP since in that vision Rhaegar thought it was Aegon.

Somewhere in the books, it is said that Elia almost died giving birth to Aegon. Even if it hadn't been made official that she was barren after that, it would be fairly clear that for her to have another child would probably cost her her life and perhaps the life of the child as well. So yes, I agree, she probably knew that she wouldn't be having another baby to fulfill the three.

Robb's will legitimizes Jon to the title of King in the North which is a defunct title and therefore means nothing.

Robb's will legitimizes Jon to the title of King in the North which is a defunct title and therefore means nothing.

Robb's will legitimizes Jon regardless if he is King or not. The fact that if Robb died he would be king is just an obvious consequence of him legitimizing Jon.

And to the comment of "defunct title" I really don't see how you can support that as almost EVERYONE acknowledges that if a Stark male heir were to surface the North would almost totally throw their support to him.

Robb's will legitimizes Jon regardless if he is King or not. The fact that if Robb died he would be king is just an obvious consequence of him legitimizing Jon.

And to the comment of "defunct title" I really don't see how you can support that as almost EVERYONE acknowledges that if a Stark male heir were to surface the North would almost totally throw their support to him.

It doesn't matter if it's a defunct title or not. Robb's decree will only be considered legitimate by those who believe him to be a king, and that certainly doesn't include the Targaryens or their supporters.

It doesn't matter if it's a defunct title or not. Robb's decree will only be considered legitimate by those who believe him to be a king, and that certainly doesn't include the Targaryens or their supporters.

Why would the Targaryen supporters have anything to do with whether or not Jon was legitimized?? It would only matter to the North, and they would utterly accept it. Not only that, butTargaryen supporters would welcome someone who was destroying the Lannister appointed Warden of the North.

PLUS if Jon IS found to be Rhaegars son, then they are TRULY going to welcome him being legitimized.

Why would the Targaryen supporters have anything to do with whether or not Jon was legitimized?? It would only matter to the North, and they would utterly accept it. Not only that, butTargaryen supporters would welcome someone who was destroying the Lannister appointed Warden of the North.

PLUS if Jon IS found to be Rhaegars son, then they are TRULY going to welcome him being legitimized.

Only a king can legitimize a bastard. Thus, Robb's decree is useless, as far as placing Jon on the Iron Throne is concerned, because he is not a true king in the eyes of anyone other than his supporters. That is my point. Now, when it comes the North, that's whole different matter.

I agree with most of this.

WRT to bolded part, how would he know? If they did get married the only people who would know would be Rhaegar, Lyanna and the three Kingsguard. When Ned and co. showed up I don't think they all sat down and had a nice chat about it. The only other person to know besides those mentioned could perhaps be Ned. Lyanna could have told him as she was dying. Howland waited outside when Ned went to see her. Is it possible Ned told him?

I think that even if Jon finds out who his true parents are, and if he is legitimate, he will still stay at the Wall. I just can't see him ever leaving. He views it as his place now and he has put so much effort into it. There is also his vows to consider. The fact that he turned down Winterfell is a good indicator of his character and it may even be forshadowing :dunno:

I really don't like the theory that he will somehow end up on the Iron Throne.

I don't think that Jon will ever sit the iron throne because that's not his place. As AA he would be the ultimate guard against the Others. But I do feel that this all goes into the Dragon having three heads. Each head would be a different part of the kingdom.

Jon in the North

Aegon on the throne.

Dany in Dorne.

Jon has proven that he has what it takes to get things done at the wall, and that virtually nothing has made him break his vows.

Aegon was MADE to rule. He was groomed to know what it feels like having the needs of the weak, and that being a king is a duty not a luxury.

Dany is someone who in the end, wants peace and tranquility. Dorne has always wanted her, and has always been set apart. Yet even Doran has wanted for revenge, and after that Revenge then peace. I also think the fact that the first Daenerys is kept being brought up in Dorne may be slight foreshadowing

Only a king can legitimize a bastard. Thus, Robb's decree is useless, as far as placing Jon on the Iron Throne is concerned, because he is not a true king in the eyes of anyone other than his supporters. That is my point. Now, when it comes the North, that's whole different matter.

I am not talking about the Irone Throne, I'm talking about him being legitimized period. The North even said they didn't give a damn about the Iron Throne and Robb WAS a king. He was actually more of a king than Joff because he actually had kings blood of the old kings of the north, to where Joff was just a pretended Baratheon, nothing more.

I am not talking about the Irone Throne, I'm talking about him being legitimized period. The North even said they didn't give a damn about the Iron Throne and Robb WAS a king. He was actually more of a king than Joff because he actually had kings blood of the old kings of the north, to where Joff was just a pretended Baratheon, nothing more.

This. The North doesn't give a crap about the south anymore.

Well, this whole conversation started because someone asserted that it doesn't matter if Rhaegar and Lyanna married, because Robb legitimized Jon. My point is that it's not that simple. Jon is now legitimate in the eyes of those who consider Robb to be their true king, but he is illegitimate in the eyes of those who don't. Unless, of course, Rhaegar and Lyanna did marry. So basically, what I'm saying is that Robb's will doesn't make the issue of Rhaegar and Lyanna's possible marriage moot.

Well, this whole conversation started because someone asserted that it doesn't matter if Rhaegar and Lyanna married, because Robb legitimized Jon. My point is that it's not that simple. Jon is now legitimate in the eyes of those who consider Robb to be their true king, but he is illegitimate in the eyes of those who don't. Unless, of course, Rhaegar and Lyanna did marry. So basically, what I'm saying is that Robb's will doesn't make the issue of Rhaegar and Lyanna's possible marriage moot.

I think you might be referring to me saying it doesn't matter if Rhaegar and Lyanna married, because if Jon was legitimized he would take the name of Stark and not Targaryen Whether people of the South know/believe he was legitimized by Robb doesn't matter as the North is its own entity. If We find that Lyanna and Rhaegar were married it won't have a great effect on Jon other than knowing his parentage.

Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon

Too obvious. I am convinced that Catelyn was right all along...Jon Snow is Ned Stark's bastard.

Don't get me wrong--being Ned Stark's natural son and RAISED ALONG SIDE HIS BROTHERS is not optimal, but I truly believe that Jon is Ned's son.

I've been reading since 1996, nothing else computes but Ned+someone=Jon+Catelyn's jealously

Archived