Neil Gaiman - What are your opinions?

Francis Buck

Read American Gods, not planning to read his stuff again. To me it was dull as dirt. No characterization. Like at all. I liked the zombie-lady the most and she barely got any screen time. If I'm going solely by that book the guy is grossly overrated.

I like him, I loved Neverwhere and Coraline and his short stories. American Gods was sort of meh to me. I love the story, love the characters, the sex/cat god chapter remains some of my favourite pieces of writing ever, and I love the gods, plot etc etc but it just felt like he'd shoehorned all this other random crap into it and just so much filler. I

f an editor had cut American Gods down, then I think I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more. It's not like Game of Thrones where they natter on but it's in character so it's still engaging, in American Gods he just goes on tangents about really random things that never become relevant.

I don't even know what the hell Anansi Boys is.

I still really like Gaiman, his diversity is really really great for me as a reader.

Never read Stephenson (or Hugo) then. Personally, the tangents are one of my favourite thing about Gaiman, but I have no interest in a novel based predominantly on plot anymore. Each to their own

Each to their own again, but the concept that American Gods has no characterisation is bizarre to me. Dull, maybe, if you don't like that "On the Road" kind of pace and story-telling. Shadow, deliberately muted character (which was an important symbolic and IIRC plot point anyway) but I think his AG characters were as real as Gods (and humans) could ever be without becoming caricatures or trope characters like the majority of fictional characters

Each to their own again, but the concept that American Gods has no characterisation is bizarre to me. Dull, maybe, if you don't like that "On the Road" kind of pace and story-telling. Shadow, deliberately muted character (which was an important symbolic and IIRC plot point anyway) but I think his AG characters were as real as Gods (and humans) could ever be without becoming caricatures or trope characters like the majority of fictional characters

Eh. You're probably right. I deliberately didn't mention Shadow because I figured that no one would make their character that much of... well a shadow if they weren't alluding to something deeper. But I like my books (and characters) densely backed with sometimes superfluous information. Which is why I love Wheel of Time (pre-Sanderson) and Infinite Jest and other people hate them.

I'd say the AANC has a point but... they don't. xp

A middling writer. Of the books that I've read:

Good Omens, and the Graveyard Book are the best. Didn't much like Neverwhere, and found American Gods extremely disappointing.

For me, he's listed as a light, quick, summer holiday read.

Also, he totally destroyed people that attack authors for not writing more quickly. :)

I read that piece but what happens if the author dies before he finishes?

In Jordan's case... well imo Brandon Sanderson is a better author...

However, Frank Herbert was much better than Kevin J Anderson + Herbert Jr.

Frank Herbert wasn't really slow though Chapter House came out fairly soon after Heretics. If he didn't pass it wouldn't be unexpected to have seen him finish the trilogy out with the "Dune 7" book.

Frank Herbert wasn't really that old either.

I've read Anansi Boys, Neverwhere, American Gods, Good Omens and Stardust. Really want to read Coraline as well and his upcoming book, also read Sandman. I must say I really liked Anansi Boys and Neverwhere over American Gods, but I thought they were all rather excellent, it's however easy to see that he has a rather distinct style (reminds me a bit of Terry Pratchett but they are still quite different) that I think is not for everyone. The Sandman comics however are just pure good, don't see why anyone would dislike them (as a whole, some elements are less done than others certainly, but the overall body of work is absolutely splendid).

I think it's a shame few people mention Anansi Boys, it's perhaps the best read of the lot in my opinion, though the villains make the story in Neverwhere (just like Mr Pin and mr Tulip in The Truth by Pratchett). Vandemar and Croup, I'd looooove to read a story from their point of view (one of their previous deeds they speak of in passing).

Such great quotes as:

"Mr. Croup:
You can't make an omelette...

Mr. Vandemaar:
...without killing a few people."

I think it's a shame few people mention Anansi Boys, it's perhaps the best read of the lot in my opinion, though the villains make the story in Neverwhere (just like Mr Pin and mr Tulip in The Truth by Pratchett). Vandemar and Croup, I'd looooove to read a story from their point of view (one of their previous deeds they speak of in passing).

Such great quotes as:

"Mr. Croup:
You can't make an omelette...

Mr. Vandemaar:
...without killing a few people."

The Lifehouse Theater in Chicago did a stage adaptation of Neverwhere a few years back and the two gents playing Croup and Vandemar were absolutely amazing. Pretty much the saving grace of the show.

Archived