So what's Dany's arrive-in-Westeros plan?

^ Interesting idea and a nice change of pace from the idea that she'll automatically choose to arrive in King's Landing. Also, I have to admit that I'm tickled by the idea of her trying to take Storm's End "from the usurpers" when no one's really cared about the damn place since Renly died. And Shipbreaker Bay just has a lovely ring to it.

I just don't see it. We're already getting a battle for Storm's End with Aegon taking the castle (which GRRM told us he would write about). So why do it again?

I'm going with the theory that GRRM likes to show us new locations and have novel scenes so I'm hoping King's Landing and Storm's End are out of the equation.

Well, I did have this thought: GRRM would not write a second sea battle in King's Landing to mirror the one he already wrote in ACoK. Even with dragons, it would just be somewhat of a repeat. So I'm actually willing to dismiss King's Landing as a possibility from the get-go.

The arrival doesn't necessary means there will be a real battle at KL, in ACoK it was expected Stannis to go KL with a fleet, Nobody is expecting Dany to come Westeros.

There are conditions set for the possibility that Dany doesnt even need to have any battle to get KL.

I just don't see it. We're already getting a battle for Storm's End with Aegon taking the castle (which GRRM told us he would write about). So why do it again?

I'm going with the theory that GRRM likes to show us new locations and have novel scenes so I'm hoping King's Landing and Storm's End are out of the equation.

I think the point is, what works for one person won't necessarily work for another, not that situations can't or won't be repeated. In this case, just because "Aegon" successfully took Storm's End doesn't mean Dany will, likewise with Aegon I's success when he arrived via what's now King's Landing.

The arrival doesn't necessary means there will be a real battle at KL, in ACoK it was expected Stannis to go KL with a fleet, Nobody is expecting Dany to come Westeros. There are conditions set for the possibility that Dany doesnt even need to have any battle to get KL.

I'll have to go dig up the quote but GRRM indicated we would see how dragons greatly affected warfare and beyond that, Daenerys is supposed to mirror Aegon the Conqueror, so I'm going with the theory that her arrival will be filled with a lot of fire and blood.

I think the point is, what works for one person won't necessarily work for another, not that situations can't or won't be repeated. In this case, just because "Aegon" successfully took Storm's End doesn't mean Dany will, likewise with Aegon I's success when he arrived via what's now King's Landing.

Thing is, Daenerys is supposed to mirror Aegon the Conqueror, so much so that I imagine wherever she lands will in the future be known as Queen's Landing.

There that's and also the strange thought that we'll be treated to two invasions of the same castle perhaps in the same book? I don't know; it sounds far fetched to me.

Ah, but there's a difference between an actual battle, which is what Aegon's most likely going to be doing, and a giant clusterfuck in which the actual castle doesn't even get touched because the "attacking" army is too busy getting smashed to pieces by the stormy seas, which is the scenario I'm suggesting. Dany and Aegon are practically certain to clash with each other (given GRRM saying there'll be a second Dance of the Dragons), and juxtaposing each person's attempt to take over Robert "the Usurper" Baratheon's home base, showing one succeeding and the other failing dramatically, sounds like the sort of thing GRRM enjoys playing around with.

Remember what happened when Dany attacked Meereen? She destroyed her ships. We all know how dearly GRRM loves his parallels. In Meereen, the destruction of Dany's ships was what allowed her to take the city and become a Queen, but much has been made of the fact that Essos is not Westeros. I think there's an excellent chance Dany's ships will be destroyed when she assaults Westeros, as they were destroyed when she assaulted Meereen, but unlike the latter, the former will end up being disasterous for her campaign. And I can think of no more appropriate place than Shipbreaker Bay, surrounding Storm's End, given Dany's personal association with a storm.

All of my speculation is dependent on the assumption that Dany will not have control of all three dragons. In particular, I expect Aegon to have one of his own. At best I think she will have Drogon, but I don't think she will have any means of controlling him, so he won't exactly be much use. So Dany won't be able to just swoop in and use her "WMDs" to get what she wants. People will be able to resist her, and she'll have to politic (gods help her) a little to win some native allies.

I could see her trying to go to Aegon at first, but I expect him to be dependent on a Dornish alliance, maybe even married to Arianne. After what happened with Quentyn, I don't think Arianne and the Sand Snakes will allow Aegon to take her in (I'm assuming the more reasonable Doran will be dead). I think the entire point of Quentyn's story was to prevent any Dany and Aegon alliance from being possible, ensuring a 2nd Dance of Dragons takes place.

Dorne, the Stormlands and the Reach are out of the question, since Aegon will probably have them by then. The Westerlands are leaderless, the Riverlands a ruin. So she only has two options as I see it, the North and the Vale.

All of my speculation is dependent on the assumption that Dany will not have control of all three dragons. In particular, I expect Aegon to have one of his own. At best I think she will have Drogon, but I don't think she will have any means of controlling him, so he won't exactly be much use. So Dany won't be able to just swoop in and use her "WMDs" to get what she wants. People will be able to resist her, and she'll have to politic (gods help her) a little to win some native allies.

I agree with this — I'm operating on the assumption that she herself is only in control/possession of one dragon: Drogon. Whatever happens with Rhaegal and Viserion, there's no guarantee that they'll be controlled by a friend or even controlled by anyone. No one can count of them as a guarantee at this point.

I could see her trying to go to Aegon at first, but I expect him to be dependent on a Dornish alliance, maybe even married to Arianne. After what happened with Quentyn, I don't think Arianne and the Sand Snakes will allow Aegon to take her in (I'm assuming the more reasonable Doran will be dead). I think the entire point of Quentyn's story was to prevent any Dany and Aegon alliance from being possible, ensuring a 2nd Dance of Dragons takes place.

Agreed about the point of Quentyn's story. Sooo many people keep saying he was pointless. Not by a long shot. His death cost Dany Dorne.

Dorne, the Stormlands and the Reach are out of the question, since Aegon will probably have them by then. The Westerlands are leaderless, the Riverlands a ruin. So she only has two options as I see it, the North and the Vale.

I can see her trying the Vale — maybe the Fingers? — before the North.

What do people make of the idea that she attacks Dragonstone?

I think it's possible. It certainly has some symbolism to her, just like Storm's End does.

What do people make of the idea that she attacks Dragonstone?

Not a bad Idea, there will be no fleet to defend Dragonstone, a symbolic army left by Tyrells and it would be perfect as a base of operations before arriving KL, after all Lord Tyrion, Ser Barristan, Ser Jorah etc.. doesn't know much about what's really happening at Westeros, perhaps Tyrion have the best idea because he knows Aegon's Plan.

Not a bad Idea, there will be no fleet to defend Dragonstone, a symbolic army left by Tyrells and it would be perfect as a base of operations before arriving KL, after all Lord Tyrion, Ser Barristan, Ser Jorah etc.. doesn't know much about what's really happening at Westeros, perhaps Tyrion have the best idea because he knows Aegon's Plan.

Who knows if that's even true. For all we know, the Tyrells might have never bothered.

One thing I was considering is that Daenerys has to move fast. There's Aegon. There's Stannis. There's the "great stone beast" which, I'm assuming, involves the Others. That's a lot to get through over the course of two books.

I'm almost thinking that, wherever she goes, Aegon probably has to be there so this confrontation between the two can be resolved quickly.

Who knows if that's even true. For all we know, the Tyrells might have never bothered. One thing I was considering is that Daenerys has to move fast. There's Aegon. There's Stannis. There's the "great stone beast" which, I'm assuming, involves the Others. That's a lot to get through over the course of two books. I'm almost thinking that, wherever she goes, Aegon probably has to be there so this confrontation between the two can be resolved quickly.

A symbolic army could be 100 men and a Castellan , for Dany taking Dragonstone is great tactical movement, she gets to know all what's going on in Westeros, like Jon Connington did once they took Griffin Roost, a perfect location to get help from the Free Cities or escape and a few days to sail to take KL.

I agree, Aegon vs Dany has to be solved quickly, otherwise GRRM will need other book.

i don't know how likely this is, but i love the idea of dany sailing east from essos, landing in the westerlands and taking casterly rock with tyrion's help. this could be foreshadowed both by dany's trek through the red waste (a long, perilous journey many thought impossible with the remains of her khalasaar) and tyrion returning from the eyrie with the clansmen (left as a criminal, returned to family with an army). kind of far fetched, but i think it could work. hasnt grrm said hes saving showing us casterly rock for a special occassion? what's more special than dany finally arriving in westeros and tyrion becoming the lord of casterly rock?

I wondered if she might have something to do with Pyke regarding symbolism and prophesy.

Melisandre has that vision in her POV when she watches the fires and sees

Then the towers by the sea, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths

It seems to be consensus that the towers by the sea refer to Pyke, but there's a lot of speculation as to what this means (greyscale, a real storm, etc). I could see this having something to do with her "black dread," Drogon- if she ends up "allying" with Victarion only to turn the tide, overthrow the Ironborn and steal their ships before marching the real prize. Like Bran's dream that saw Winterfell "drowning," which proved symbolic of the Ironborn invading, I could see the towers of Pyke as foreshadowing that she will destroy Victarion/ Euron without necessarily having to go to Pyke literally. I see no problem ridding the world of Ironborn, but hope this isn't how it's going to go down.

I'm almost certain that Tyrion will join forces with her. He will give her counsel/guidance on how to properly invade Westeros. In return for his loyal service she will help him take his rightful place as Lord of Casterly Rock. Then he'll obviously deliver the Westerlands to Dany's cause.

Dorne is a natural ally to the Targaryens so I'm sure Prince Doran will throw in with her.

Aegon is a wild card in that we don't know if he'll try to keep the Iron Throne for himself. Plus there's the whole issue of his legitimacy to sort out.

Littlefinger is probably going to play a major role in all of this as well. We absolutely have no idea what he has up his sleeve but we know it's nothing good and totally self serving to his goals. We don't even know what his goals are. Very interested to see what this man does and if he'll end up with or against Dany's claim.

The impending war with the Others will also play a significant role. We don't know what the hell is going to happen there. I'm 98% sure that Dany's dragons will play a key role in that affair as well. Maybe the people of Westeros will not warm up to her at first but if she saves their asses against the ice demons, Well that's a different story.

...Remember what happened when Dany attacked Meereen? She destroyed her ships. We all know how dearly GRRM loves his parallels...

Nymeria also burnt her ships, I could see Dany repeating that.

Shipbreaker bay would work if GRRM wanted to destroy most of her army (but then we've already had Aegaon's army scattered by autumn storms), alsowe already know that it is dangerous because that's where the Baratheon parents drowned.

Anyway aside from that where she lands will depend on where she sails from.

From Pentos King's Landing or the Vale are close. Given that the Vale has men and food it would make sense to seize it even if she didn't land there with her main force. Kings Landing is the recognised centre of power I could see that as being a reasonable target.

Alternatively if Victarion was her Admiral and the invasion sails directly from Meereen then landing in the Reach could be an option. The Reach was loyal to the last Targaryens, the Martells are close enough to them to join her, in Tyrion Dany has a pretender to Casterly Rock who could raise the Westerlands for her. Oldtown would make a good base of operations - she'd certainly be well provided with information there. If she had the support of the Reach, The Westerlands and Dorne then the incumbant of the Iron Throne had might as well surrender even without her dragons being involved.

I don't see sailing round the world to land on the western coast - isn't Martinworld meant to be slightly bigger than our Earth? That would make for a very long voyage and I suspect that Dany won't reach Westeros until the last book even coming by the shorter route.

I believe Dorne is still in play. Dany did not kill Quentyn, his death was a tragedy of his own making. I believe she could land in Dorne and they would rally their spears to her and help bring Aegon and she together. Which help show Aegon as the possible imposter that many believe him to be.

That might be hyperbole, but I am intrigued by the idea that she decides to copy Aegon I's model and lands in King's Landing, only for that to fail at first and for her to be repulsed. The idea of something working once and then not necessarily working again is a common theme in the story. I like the idea that lightning doesn't strike twice and that Dany can't rely on Aegon's strategy to work a second time — she has to actually do the work and figure out a plan for herself, because Xeroxing what her ancestor did won't work.

Landing in the general Crownlands/Riverlands area isn't so much of a good idea anyway. By the time that Dany arrives in Westeros, the forces of Aegon, Stannis, and the Starks will be converging on King's Landing, providing a great deal of enemies in that area. It would be more prudent to land in the Westerlands and take the gold of Casterly Rock. Bend the Lords of the Westerlands to her will, use the gold to buy over all the sellswords she could want, send emmisaries to Aegon and Sansa/Rickon (not Stannis, he'd never bend the knee/marry).

Is there any chance she won't come to Westeros as a conquerer but as a slave? We know Victarion wants to make her his wife. What if he tries to pay the gold price, she declines, so he pays the Iron instead. I could see The Iron fleet Sailing into Pyke, Dragons muzzled and chained to the decks, Dany in shackles the saltwife at Victarion's side.

Of course that image is all a bit too Gor, but it makes a nice twist compared to the obvious invasion we've all seen coming since book 1.

I assume she'll head west from Slaver's Bay, through Volantis and to Pentos, where she'll learn about Aegon from Illyrio and then set sail to Dragonstone. From there I think she'll split her forces: the Iron fleet will head south past Dorne and come up to the Westerlands to take Casterly Rock (maybe with a dragon or two), and Dany will set sail to King's Landing with Drogon and Barristan, take the capital and become the "Younger Queen".

This way not only has she taken the capital, but she will also have the safety of Casterly Rock.

Archived