[BOOK SPOILERS] Which 3 men did Jamie mean?

First Im stunned Jaimie thinks anyone might have a chance against him.

Jaimie has a lot of respect for Barristan Selmy but he may feel he is too old to threaten him now.

Same with Loris Tyrell who he prolly considers a talent, but too young.

He might pick the Mountain tho I doubt he respects his skill with a sword.

Garlan Tyrell is considered an excellent fighter in the books.

Thoros of Myr has a rep similar to the Mountain.

Oberyn Martell is a deadly fighter but usually prefers a spear to a sword.

Maybe at some point Jaimie will actually tell us.

The Cleganes have to be 2 of the 3, I don't see how anyone could argue that (show or book). In the show I'd probably go with Barristan Selmy (based off the conversation they had in the kings chambers) but based on the books I think i'd go with Loras (he admits he's skilled, and he beat him in Joff's tourny, but mainly because he mentions Barristan is past his prime). I see no reason why he would fear Oberyn before his near defeat of the mountain.

Last time i checked a real fight wasn't pulling someone off their horse while they were addressing the king, and then assaulting that person with a 2 handed sword while the opponent had only a jousting shield to protect them self.

More telling is that Loras is still alive after getting blind sided by the mountain, without have a weapon to defend himself.

Its realer than a joust.........

its a stretch for sure, but not a massive fuckin stretch. Gregor died as a direct result of the duel, so he died at the hands of the Red Viper.

Sure, but he won the duel. I mean he died afterwards, but he still won.

We obviously have different definitions of a draw, though.

More telling is that Loras is still alive after getting blind sided by the mountain, without have a weapon to defend himself.

Well...let's not oversell his survival skills; he did have a little help.

First Im stunned Jaimie thinks anyone might have a chance against him.

Jaimie has a lot of respect for Barristan Selmy but he may feel he is too old to threaten him now.

Same with Loris Tyrell who he prolly considers a talent, but too young.

He might pick the Mountain tho I doubt he respects his skill with a sword.

Garlan Tyrell is considered an excellent fighter in the books.

Thoros of Myr has a rep similar to the Mountain.

Oberyn Martell is a deadly fighter but usually prefers a spear to a sword.

Maybe at some point Jaimie will actually tell us.

Jaime is arrogant, but he is also realistic. I mean, how did we find out that he though there were 3 people? Because he had been captured, so he knows that the Any Given Sunday rules apply. That and that he has served with Dayne, Selmy, etc - the Kingsguard that helped make him as badass as he is.

Thoros doesn't have the same type of reputation - he is known for being first through a breach in a wall and lighting his sword on fire, not as an overpowering swordsman.

Sandor Clegane is almost certainly the most fearsome fighter in Westeros today.

The Mountain is bigger, but Sandor is far faster and more skilled, PLUS he is a giant in his own right. Sandor Clegane would make mincemeat of Gregor if they ever actually fought to the death.

So Sandor is most certainly number 1 on Jaime's list.

Number two would probably be the Mountain, just because of his immense size and reputation.

As for number three? If it was 20 years ago, Barristan would definitely be one of the three. Today? No so sure. My guess is that Jaime included him, because even at only 70% of his former ability, Barristan is still a deadly opponent.

So my view is the Hound, the Mountain and Barristan the Bold.

As for Loras. Please. If Loras is included, then Garlan Tyrell would have to be included before him, and clearly that wasn't the intention.

Loras isn't in the top 10, to be frank. Not as a swordsman.

Thoros doesn't have the same type of reputation - he is known for being first through a breach in a wall and lighting his sword on fire, not as an overpowering swordsman.

That certainly helps, as well as being well-known for drinking with Robert and just being an exotic figure, but wasn't he the guy who also won the melee in the first book? I wouldn't like to fight him.

from jamies opinion of himself and the swordsmen he talks about with most respect in books and series barristan has to be up their for sure and i would be surprised if one of the cleganes isn't up their if not both and maybe the blackfish ??

Renly wasn't considered a great fighter in the books. He could mix it up a bit, but no-one at all rated him. In the TV show Renly says straight out that he's not a fighter at all.

If Jaime was counting dead men as well as the living, he would almost certainly count Eddard. In the TV show he clearly regards Ned as a potential worthy fighter in the first episode and is then clearly surprised when Ned holds his own against him in the fifth episode, to the point of relishing the challenge and getting pissed off when the Lannister spearman interferes. However, Ned's dead, so has to be out of the count as Jaime says, present tense, that there are three men in the kingdoms who might 'stand a chance' against him.

I think, from purely the TV show perspective alone, the choices have to be:

1) Ser Loras Tyrell. Loras beat Jaime in a tournment before the series began (referenced in the whole Littlefinger/Tyrion/dagger situation in S1), which Jaime will not have forgotten.

2) Ser Barristan Selmy. Jaime thinks he's awesome. He might be being over-charitable to Selmy today, but it's clear Selmy is one of the few people who he has real respect for.

3) I'm thinking Gregor Clegane simply because whilst Jaime might not rate his skill, his strength is formidable. A glancing lucky blow from the Mountain could incapacitate Jaime whilst from other men it would be shrugged off. That might make him consider the Mountain to be a serious threat, even if lacking the finesse of Loras or Barristan.

Otherwise, there's not many other characters in the TV show who have been established whom would really rate a threat to Jaime (he could be thinking of someone we haven't met on the show, but that seems unlikely given the writers probably deliberately put this reference in there to intrigue the fans). They're either dead (Jaime might have rated Robert and/or Rhaegar in their prime as possibilities) or don't exist in the TV show (as Ser Arthur Dayne apparently doesn't). The only other character who could be on Jaime's list is Sandor Clegane, I think.

• 3 months later...

the three that jamie meant: Ser Barristan the Bold, Sandor Clegane, and The Gaint gregor clegane.

jamie is incredibly arrogant, so it is presumed that if he were to mention anyone it would be people he is familiar with and respects. that eliminates both tyrells as jamie wouldn't give them a time of day, but just to clarify garlan is better than his younger brother. loras amitted it to sansa, he said that he was better witha joust, but garlan was superior with a sword. that leaves sandor who jamie respected as a warrior evident in the chapter jamie dispatches to riverrun. the gaint because of his immense size and ferocity he would be a trouble for anyone, and selmy cause he is the Bold self explantory.

Archived