[BOOK SPOILERS] Which 3 men did Jamie mean?

• 4 months later...

i dont know how he counts barristan because he isnt in his prime even Barristan says such but he no doubt respects his skills i dont how high he would rank the red viper either the mountain is for sure one sandor i would say probley another if you ask me who would be the best matches,

the mountain, sandor, oberyn, bronn i think would also be a great match. i leave out Barristan because he isnt what he used to be age affects everyone and Barristan is up in the year i have little doubt he is just as skilled and could take almost any man.

To everyone talking about Loras...

He just CAN'T be one of the 3.

Everyone ( especially Loras ) knows that his own brother, Garland, is a much better swordman.

So, basically, if you take Loras, you need to take garland, and I don't think Jaime has that much respect for the Tyrell's brothers to take them both in his 'top 3'.

Also, in the books, Jaime often have thoughts about Loras being some 'young punk', it's obvious he doesn't respect him at all, and (whether it's true or not) Jaime is 100% confident he'd defeat him in a fair fight.

Also, Bronn has no business here. He's just a sellsword. A good sellsword, that's for sure, but still just a sellsword. Not only he does not have much to brag about ( his only real feat of strenght is to defeat ser Vardis ), there's no way Jaime would have heard much about him anyway. You have to remember that it's not just '3 mens who could beat Jaime'., it's 3 mens Jaime think might beat him.

Even the best fighter in the world could not be in that top list if Jaime never heard of him.

Ned Stark... In the show, they both seem to be good in their 1v1, but there's nothing else to say about Ned. He doesn't really have any reputation as a fighter. Plus, he's dead. So, not worth mentionning. Jaime talks about 3 mens alive.

So, now that's being said, possible candidates...

-Barristan Selmy ( pretty much a lock. He's probably #1 in his list, even tho he's past his prime ).

-The Clegane's brothers. And, please, the mountain before the hound. The show seems to want to make Sandor look better, but in the books, the mountain is miles ahead of his brother. He's always described by everyone as having inhuman strenght, and while Sandor is also strong, they just don't compare. Sandor just have more show-time than Gregor and that plays for him, but Gregor would destroy him any time. You also have to keep remember that they're not just fighting eachother. See this in the perspective of (either of them) vs Jaime. The hound might be faster than the mountain, but he's still snail-paced slow against Jaime. None of the Clegane's brothers can beat Jaime with speed. Their only hope is their strenght/endurance, and Gregor's is said to have monstruous strenght/endurance, while the hound is just a strong and fearless fighter ( beside fire ).

-The red viper. Has Jaime even heard of him? Enough to make him respect his skills? Really doubtfull. I wouldn't put it on the list.

-Kingsguards : I doubt Jaime would fear anyone of that lot. Worst kingsguard ever.

-Stannis : No. Just no. He isn't even a fighter in the books. They just wanted to make him look good in the show with the whole 'First to climb the walls, last to leave, had to be dragged away'. He's just a strong commander and a man with an unbreakable will. Jaime would destroy him.

-Khal drogo is dead, and odds are Jaime never heard of him. He's just a barbarian within a whole land of other barbarians.

-Syrio Forell/Jaqen H'gar : Jaime probably hasn't heard of either, and no reason for Jaime to think they're anything special.

The more I think about it, the more it's obvious that there's not much choices. It pretty much has to be Barristan, and the Clegane.

Keep in mind that any candidate must :

1) Be alive

2) Have a great reputation as a fighter

3) Being known and respected by Jaime

Lots of the candidates mentionned in this thread fails to at least one of these conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

To everyone talking about Loras...

He just CAN'T be one of the 3.

Everyone ( especially Loras ) knows that his own brother, Garland, is a much better swordman.

So, basically, if you take Loras, you need to take garland, and I don't think Jaime has that much respect for the Tyrell's brothers to take them both in his 'top 3'.

Also, in the books, Jaime often have thoughts about Loras being some 'young punk', it's obvious he doesn't respect him at all, and (whether it's true or not) Jaime is 100% confident he'd defeat him in a fair fight.

Lots of the candidates mentionned in this thread fails to at least one of these conditions.

This is the tv show not the books. There might not be a Garland and Loras might have the additional traits of his fighting abilities. Also Jaime's thoughts about him, IRC, is that he was like him before he lost his hand.

If this is the books then it'd be Garland, not Loras. Since this it the tv program then Loras is probably a candidate.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, as most posters do, that Jaime was referring to both Clegane brothers and Ser Barristan, However, he may have been being generous to Barristan out of respect for what the older knight used to be and I feel that Oberyn or Bronn could probably challenge him in a fight, though he would not refer to these two because he does not know Oberyn and has never even heard of Bronn.

• 3 weeks later...

Jaime had better put up a genuinely good fight

against Brienne. Or beforehand, killing some Bolton men preferably.

Otherwise I'm going to struggle to buy his story arc. They really should have shown more of his escape attempt. In the show universe it looks like he has been beaten by Ned, captured with no fuss in battle, captured after his escape attempt where he was seen to do no sword fighting

and shortly beaten by a girl. TV Jaime losing his hand would be an act of mercy to spare him from more embarrassing fights in a universe in which he lacks all the badassery that went with his douchebaggery in the books.

I think he was desperate to know how the fight with Ned would have ended if some twat hdn't stopped it.

So maybe he thought Ned, although I don't think so.

Selmy is one, The Mountain and maybe Robert in his peak.

I would love to know who would win between jamie and Drogo. Or Jamie and Areo Hotah !

In the books, Jaime says he can beat either Clegane brother.

Next.

Later, Jaime attributes the Hound with size, speed and inhuman strength.

Sandor beat Jaime at the Hand's tourney, withstood an angry Gregor, and killed everything in his path until the Blackwater caught fire.

As I see it on foot, in a real fight;

Two-handed Jaime vs. Gregor - Jaime

Two-handed Jaime vs. Sandor - Sandor

On horseback, I don't know.

Personally- Barristan Selmy- He was described as being the greatest sword in the seven kingdoms when he was younger and the way he focuses on the abilities of Tumco Lho in A Dance of Dragons suggests how great his knowledge of swordplay is and also Jaime admiration of him.

Gregor and Sandor Clegane- their height and strength give them advantage although Jaime had greater speed and skill.

I like that in the 2nd post someone said "Darkstar". I hope that was just a joke.

I think the reason that Arianne said he's the most dangerous man in Dorne is not that he's the fiercest warrior, but rather that he's psychotic and unpredictable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Darkstar isn't even in the show at all.

Sandor, the Mountain and Ser Barristan. Barristan may be old but he's still a boss and Jaime definitely respects him. Sandor and the Mountain are two of the most reputable warriors in the realm.

Of course Jaime's exaggerating as Bronn, Balon Swann, Andrik the Unsmiling, Harras Harlaw, Victarion Greyjoy, Black Lorren, the Red Viper, Ser Jorah, Loras and Garlan Tyrell, Lynn Corbray, Bronze Yon Royce, Ser Addam Marbrand, Areo Hotah, the Greatjon, Rolland Storm, Richard Horpe and of course Brienne herself could all put up a good fight against him and beat him if the dice roll in their favour (GRMM has made clear on several occassions he doesn't believe the strength of fighters is absolute and the results of a fight are 'set in stone' from the start and is aware there is a random factor), but Jaime either doesn't respect these people or doesn't know about them.

• 1 month later...

You think Ser Loras in the books would have beaten Jaime and Jaime would have thought that? Loras isn't even the best swordsman in his immediate family!

THIS. Garlan is better at the sword than Loras. People think Loras is some perfect warrior um no he's without a doubt the best jouster, but in all other aspects he's good, not godly. In the books Jaime has a monologue where he says the Cleganes for a certainty, Robert in his prime, and perhaps Strongboar or the other small big guy. Crakehall, I think? Anyway Brienne could never beat Jaime on her best day, when they duel he is in fetters and half starved from imprisonment. Neither can Barristan Selmy, who is a very skilled swordsman but also a very old one and can never match up to Jaime's vitality.

Of course now Jaime can barely make Ser Ilyn break a sweat. Such a damn shame.

Maybe it is allready said, but in asos Jaime thinks about the people who were stronger than him: Robert Batatheon, Arthur Dayne, The white Bull, Greatjon Omber, Strongboar Crakehall, the hound and the mountain.

My possible candidates in no particular order:

1. Greatjon Umber on par with raw strength of Cleganes

2. Sandor Clegane

3. Gregor Clegane

4. Barristan the Bold

5. Jorah Mormont(most of the time being underrated by most, whilst a cappable warrior)

6. Arthur Dayne

7. Robert Baratheon primetime(remember guys he slew Rhaegar in single combat)

Will add soon, but ones I mentioned were/are very cappable warriors and established personas on battlefield/tournaments.

Edit: 8. living Rhaegar Targeryan, a man to whom Tywin wanted to mentor the young Jaime.

• 1 month later...

"She is stronger than I am.

The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain's strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all."

-ASoS

judging from this quote, im guessing the 3 would have to be ser barristan selmy, oberyn martell, and im not too sure about the final one

The final one is Darkstar

Archived