Blackwater Battle Teaser

Westeros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwgOzLG5IGo&feature=plcp

This trailer, starting at about 58 seconds has some footage. TBH, this one makes it look kind of funny. The shot where the arrows hit the beach and the shot after Joffrey says " too many" seem really strange. Like a bunch of ants and sped up and clunky. Anybody see what I am saying?

We've seen him wearing the crown of antlers. I wouldn't be surprised if Loras puts the crown over a visored helmet and then they cut to shots of the men screaming for "Renly!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwgOzLG5IGo&feature=plcp This trailer, starting at about 58 seconds has some footage. TBH, this one makes it look kind of funny. The shot where the arrows hit the beach and the shot after Joffrey says " too many" seem really strange. Like a bunch of ants and sped up and clunky. Anybody see what I am saying?

Personally, I think it looks fine. What they may have done is do what LOTR did for a lot of its battle scenes (the Last Alliance, Minas Tirith and the Black Gates especially) and use CGI to duplicate extras again and again (for instance, it is the same fifty elves, copy 'n' pasted, that are seen in the Battle of the Last Alliance in LOTR), which can sometimes produce this effect. I reckon it looks okay though, like I said. #anticipation!

So it is Stannis leading the charge out of the boats. And it looks like he's getting knocked out, what the hell is up with that? And where's Lightbringer?

I think Stannis here is a little more "action-packed" than book Stannis and for a few good reasons, most notably that he has to do something during the battle. Stannis sitting on a horse looking all sullen and grinding his teeth does not make compelling television (oh who am I kidding? I'd watch an entire episode of Stannis just sitting looking at a battle and saying brutal things "Lannister troopps run away faster than any other men in the Seven Kingdoms" and "I imagine that's what Robb Stark would look like on fire." ).

And he's not getting knocked out. I practically pulled a Zapruder film trying to see what happens; if you pause you can kind of make out what's going on- the knight behind Stannis is not attacking him; he's actually holding a shield over Stannis' head and its obvious that he's doing that to protect the (armor-less) Stannis from arrow fire. Stannis actually looks bloody and mired up which seems to fit. The shoot cuts up with Stannis looking up- and its obvious that the shield is catching arrows.

Now with all that its possible that (given the "Previously on GoT") Stannis desires a suicide charge on the city once its clear he's lost and one of his men (potentially Davos' son) knocks him out to ensure his survival.

Regardless Stannis as an absolute badass is really amazing to watch. Stannis v. Tyrion is gonna be eeeeppppiiiiicccccc.....

oh who am I kidding? I'd watch an entire episode of Stannis just sitting looking at a battle and saying brutal things "Lannister troopps run away faster than any other men in the Seven Kingdoms" and "I imagine that's what Robb Stark would look like on fire."

LOL! That made my day. No doubt he'll have some great lines ready for us. The sequence with him describing the order of the animals they ate is pure gold.

Okay, that's a relief, thanks a lot, I just couldn't make out what happened. Devan is probably going to die (I know he lives in the books, but losing sons was pretty important to Davos' storyline) so I hope that decreases the likeliness of any sort of Stannis-gets-knocked-out sequence. Heroically fighting his way back to the ship seems more appropriate. Stannis never established a King's Guard like Joffry or Renly did so he must be at least somewhat confident in his capability to defend himself. The entire episode would suck if Stannis and Davos were portrayed as fools, right now what I fear mostly is that the loss of the fleet will be attributed to Davos because they already appointed him to lead the attack. There might have been a bit of a build-up towards why the lords would disobey his commands in this episode though, so I don't despair yet...

The entire season has been building up to the Blackwater battle. I'm trying to keep my expectations low (this is just a TV show afterall), but the show has exceeded my expectations in every other way. All that's left is a great large scale battle, so this is what I've been waiting for. I hope that all of the hype is for a good reason and that episode 9 will be the best yet.

Also GOERGE is writing this episode! I haven't seen many people mention it, for me it increases the hype by 100%.

Blackwater occurs at night in the books....

I definitely pictured it a night in my head. The wildfire will look so awesome in the dark.

GAH! Why is Monday so far away?!?!?!???? :crying:

The Battle of Blackwater Rush occurs in daylight -- Davos spots the chain boom because of sunlight glinting off steel, for example. The sun is westering, so it's after noon, but it's not dusk. OTOH, it does last into the night, and I believe Tyrion's sally is at night, as is the last Sansa chapter during the battle.

Archived