The Fall of the North

KC_Accidental

Release the Krakens! Stranger sea monsters could be on their way as well....

And when did the magic awaken in the world? Was it Dany's dragons being born or did something happen that allowed their birth first? (which came first? The dragon or the egg?)

Wasn't it said that Mance Rayder and company dug up a lot of old long dead things in the search for the Horn of Winter?

Is it possible that Dany and dragons arrive in Westeros through the Land of Always Winter to smash the Others threat against the Wall? Didn't I read somewhere in these forums that GRRM said she would arrive in a different direction than the conquerers of the past?

So many questions!

Release the Krakens! Stranger sea monsters could be on their way as well....

And when did the magic awaken in the world? Was it Dany's dragons being born or did something happen that allowed their birth first? (which came first? The dragon or the egg?)

Wasn't it said that Mance Rayder and company dug up a lot of old long dead things in the search for the Horn of Winter?

Is it possible that Dany and dragons arrive in Westeros through the Land of Always Winter to smash the Others threat against the Wall? Didn't I read somewhere in these forums that GRRM said she would arrive in a different direction than the conquerers of the past?

So many questions!

To go north you must go south. The others could be aware of the dragons coming from the north, and because of that are fleeing south. I'd rather deal with others than with dragons. We've seen it's possible for a fat man to kill an other, while dragons can kill hundreds of people, randomly.

To go north you must go south. The others could be aware of the dragons coming from the north, and because of that are fleeing south. I'd rather deal with others than with dragons. We've seen it's possible for a fat man to kill an other, while dragons can kill hundreds of people, randomly.

Just wait till Sam kills his first dragon. He is learning archery for a reason.

• 5 months later...

How about the caves that Ygritte said were used a long time ago, maybe the Others use these caves to pass under the Wall, and appear south of the neck, once the spell is gone or as a way to bypass the spell of the Wall.

I believe that those caves belong to CotF and are magically protected.

Interesting theory; while i think the Wall will fall ( the men of the watch) i'm not sure if it will fall physically 50/50 chance. I don't think the North will fall too many variables and reasons exist for it to handle.Too many people know the importance of why Winterfell must remain. As long as there is a Stark there is a Winterfell and the North will survive. There something deeper with the Starks and their relationship with the North.

Seeing as Jon will be in a comatose state he will get much needed info from Bran. Why i mention this is because- i can't remember which one of Bran's chapter it is- But he was flying over the wall which was becoming a clue crystal or something to that effect. Jon was in a cell and the warmth was leaving him. Anyways when Bran saw this BR told him " now you know why you must live" .Bran will help Jon somehow in time to have a chance against the others.

I don't see the Others going around the Wall by sea or something. It would seem to make the Horn of Winter a giant red herring, and it would also make the original brothers of the Night's Watch seem kind of stupid (since there's no indication that the Others are more powerful now than they were in the first War for the Dawn). I don't know how the Wall stops them from taking to the sea, giving that the wights at least can travel underwater, but I feel pretty comfortable with saying it does.

But I do agree that the North is going to be largely overwhelmed. I think we can expected massive casualties among the Night's Watch and the wildlings at the very least, and while some of the mountain clans might be able to hole in secret hiding places the Others will undoubtedly want to absorb any large collection of people (in order to swell their own numbers) and they have magical ways of detecting the presence of life. I think the older castles should be warded, like Storm's End is, and that would allow for some folks to remain in Winterfell and other places. Besides, the Others don't have supply lines as such, so they might not even bother overmuch with besieging castles if it would delay their march south.

I agree that the Wall, and the North, have to fall in order for the threat of the Others to be truly realized. If their invasion is checked at the wall it sort of denegrates their impact and would potentially relegate them back to folklore and history rather than being seen by all of Westeros as an apocalyptic threat that always took precedence over the "Game of Thrones" I've always felt that Dany's dream about meeting an army armoured in ice along the Trident was a premonition of sorts. It would give the series a degree of circularity to it with the story (for all intents and purposes) beginning with Rhaegar's fall on the Trident, and ending in a prophetic battle between the forces of ice and fire along the most famous battleground in Westeros. I think that Jon Snow's fate is intimately tied to the fate of the Others. Since his apparent assassination I've always thought that he would either, A - Rise up as the new Night's King and lead the Others south to exact revenge for those who've wronged him, his house, and to lay waste to the players in the "Game of Thrones," B - If / When the Wall falls the magic within will awaken him and he will be our POV in the Land of Always Winter as he goes on a Last Hero-esque quest north to get help fighting the Others and / or destroying the Great Other, or, C - The Others invasion will be checked at the Trident by Dany while Jon will lead the remnants of the North / Stannis' forces / Wildlings south to smash the Others in their rear. Either way the Others have to conquer the Wall / North or will feel like their impact on the series would be incredibly small.

Archived