[Book Spoilers] Season 3 character arc's

victim

Someone suggeted that Ros is sent by Varys to spy on Dany in Essos. We still don't know with whom she will be together in the lesbian scene and HBO won't cut that...won't they? So it makes sense for me. ;-)

Emilia Clarke has non-nudity clause on her contract... it doesnt completely destroy the possibility for a lesbian scene but I dont think we will have one.

Sankido, RW is chapters 50-53 of the book. PW is chapters 59- 62. That leaves only five chapters in between them. There isn't enough material to do the weddings three or four episodes apart like you are suggesting. I think the PW will be either the next chapter after the RW, or the one after that (more likely).

A lot of people seems to think that would be too soon, and affect the RW emotional impact, but I disagree. Remember that this would mean that the viewers would have one or two weeks to feel bad about it and mourn Robb, but if they wait a whole year they will probably have gotten over it already by the time season four starts. I think that would "diffuse" the impact more, and make the PW less satisfying...

I think that, generally speaking, people shouldn't assume that ASOS being divided among two seasons is equivalent to the fourth season will be ASOS, part 2.

In fact, the sizes of the books themselves suggest that a significant part of AFFC+ADWD will be included in season 4. Consider that AFFC+ADWD has more pages that ACOK+ASOS, but surprisingly no one expects AFFC+ADWD to be adapted in three seasons.

With this in mind, some random thoughts:

There is just not enough material about Bran to make it last four seasons or more. What I'd do is have him end S3 at the Night's Fort (which is consistent Jon's storyline ending with Ygritte's death), and have all his ADWD chapters in S4. Then, have him offscreen for seasons 5 and 6, while he is training with the 3EC.

Melisandre+Stannis+Davos is problematic, since they are three members of the main cast with nearly nothing to do. Perhaps they could introduce a storyline with Davos sailing to Storm's End to smuggle out Edric Storm and make him consprining to kill Melisandre after he discovers that she intends to kill the boy. On the second half of the season he would be taken out of jail and we'd have the leeches. In fact, the leeches is an argument for having the PW in S3, since it would give closure to the Dragonstone arch too.

I would have Dany discovering Arstan's identity in S3, as IMO it doesn't make sense to make this mistery last for more than one season when the audience will recognise him from the start. To do this, you should change the way how Dany conquers the cities. This also means that Jorah is banished in the S3 finale (which is good, since after S2 his actual relationship with Dany has little else to go). That would mean no Jorah in S4, but it'd be a huge surprise when he captures Tyrion at S5.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that the PW would work better in S3.

Ah, now I get it: You're desperate to see the PW in season three. I agree that we disagree a lot here. As I said before, this would be a rush through the KL storyline which leaves us a boring and stretched storyline in season four. For me it would be very anticlimatic to have the RW in e08 or e09 and the PW right in the e10. That would take the room needed for the audience to get a grip on the scale of this events..

The birth of the dragons and Eddard's death, or the battle of Blackwater and the Others attacking the Fist happened two episodes apart and I don't think that the audience hadn't enough "room" to grasp the significance of those events. RW in 3x08 and PW in 3x10 is perfectly doable, and it's what I'd do as it brings a conclusion to the archs of King's Landing. Without the PW Tyrion, Sansa, Tywin, Cersei, Joffrey and Varys would end the season essentially just as they began it (with the only exception of the Tyrion/Sansa marriage, wich isn't consumated anymay).

Emilia Clarke has non-nudity clause on her contract...

Do we have any source for this? I have seen it commented in some forums, but I've never seen an official source suggesting it. In fact, IRRC D&D pondered about using the Qartheen typical gown until the last moment, and they wouldn'd had done this if Clarke's contract banned it.

Emilia Clarke has non-nudity clause on her contract... it doesnt completely destroy the possibility for a lesbian scene but I dont think we will have one.

Wait, really? She was naked all the time in the first season. I understood that Lena had one, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

Sankido, RW is chapters 50-53 of the book. PW is chapters 59- 62. That leaves only five chapters in between them. There isn't enough material to do the weddings three or four episodes apart like you are suggesting. I think the PW will be either the next chapter after the RW, or the one after that (more likely).

That's exactly why I think it will happen in different seasons.

A lot of people seems to think that would be too soon, and affect the RW emotional impact, but I disagree. Remember that this would mean that the viewers would have one or two weeks to feel bad about it and mourn Robb, but if they wait a whole year they will probably have gotten over it already by the time season four starts. I think that would "diffuse" the impact more, and make the PW less satisfying...

It's not about getting over it or getting enough "room", it's about the dramatic effect. On the boards a lot of readers talked about how they have thrown the book in the corner after the RW, thinking about not reading any further (eventually doing it anyway). This is such an epic scene which deserves to be put in the right dramatic framework and still IMHO (and there is no way to convince me here otherwise) it would destroy the moment needed to grasp the whole scope of it. It is just the perfect cliffhanger regarding the Game of Thrones as a whole.

The birth of the dragons and Eddard's death, or the battle of Blackwater and the Others attacking the fist happened two episodes apart and I don't think that the audience hadn't enough "room" to grasp the significance of those events. RW in 3x08 and PW in 3x10 is perfectly doable, and it's what I'd do as it brings a conclusion to the archs of King's Landing. Withouts the PW Tyrion, Sansa, Tywin, Cersei, Joffrey and Varys would end the season essentially just as they began it (with the only exception of the Tyrion/Sansa marriage, wich isn't consumated anymay).

The death of Ned was an IMMEDIATE gamechanger the birth of the dragons not. The outcome of Blackwater was an IMMEDIATE gamechanger the attack of the Others not.

I find it kind of amusing how the readers demand the PW included in season three. From what I have seen in the past, the showrunners have a very good hand interpreting the story for the readers and non readers likewise. From the way they paced the things in the past two seasons I'm VERY confident that the PW will happen in season four. Come back in a year to prove me wrong but until then it absolutely makes not a single sense for me to include the PW in season three. :-)

Sankido out!

I think that, generally speaking, people shouldn't assume that ASOS being divided among two seasons is equivalent to the fourth season will be ASOS, part 2.

In fact, the sizes of the books themselves suggest that a significant part of AFFC+ADWD will be included in season 4. Consider that AFFC+ADWD has more pages that ACOK+ASOS, but surprisingly no one expects AFFC+ADWD to be adapted in three seasons.

With this in mind, some random thoughts:

There is just not enough material about Bran to make it last four seasons or more. What I'd do is have him end S3 at the Night's Fort (which is consistent Jon's storyline ending with Ygritte's death), and have all his ADWD chapters in S4. Then, have him offscreen for seasons 5 and 6, while he is training with the 3EC.

Melisandre+Stannis+Davos is problematic, since they are three members of the main cast with nearly nothing to do. Perhaps they could introduce a storyline with Davos sailing to Storm's End to smuggle out Edric Storm and make him consprining to kill Melisandre after he discovers that she intends to kill the boy. On the second half of the season he would be taken out of jail and we'd have the leeches. In fact, the leeches is an argument for having the PW in S3, since it would give closure to the Dragonstone arch too.

I would have Dany discovering Arstan's identity in S3, as IMO it doesn't make sense to make this mistery last for more than one season when the audience will recognise him from the start. To do this, you should change the way how Dany conquers the cities. This also means that Jorah is banished in the S3 finale (which is good, since after S2 his actual relationship with Dany has little else to go). That would mean no Jorah in S4, but it'd be a huge surprise when he captures Tyrion at S5.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that the PW would work better in S3.

The birth of the dragons and Eddard's death, or the battle of Blackwater and the Others attacking the Fist happened two episodes apart and I don't think that the audience hadn't enough "room" to grasp the significance of those events. RW in 3x08 and PW in 3x10 is perfectly doable, and it's what I'd do as it brings a conclusion to the archs of King's Landing. Without the PW Tyrion, Sansa, Tywin, Cersei, Joffrey and Varys would end the season essentially just as they began it (with the only exception of the Tyrion/Sansa marriage, wich isn't consumated anymay).

Do we have any source for this? I have seen it commented in some forums, but I've never seen an official source suggesting it. In fact, IRRC D&D pondered about using the Qartheen typical gown until the last moment, and they wouldn'd had done this if Clarke's contract banned it.

Just wanted to say: 100% agreed :)

I had the same idea with Bran, because I can't see any other way to do it (and hopefully, season 3-5 will cover books 3-5, so he will be missing for just one season?)

I also agree that Stannis-Davos-Melissandre is a huge problem next season, so great ideas here :)

Totally agreed with Dany: depending on how many cities we have, I'd move events around, and definitely have the reveal of Barristan and Jorah banished in season 3. That plot resolution is just too obvious once Barristan shows up, so it's not a good idea to avoid it.

I find it kind of amusing how the readers demand the PW included in season three. From what I have seen in the past, the showrunners have a very good hand interpreting the story for the readers and non readers likewise. From the way they paced the things in the past two seasons I'm VERY confident that the PW will happen in season four. Come back in a year to prove me wrong but until then it absolutely makes not a single sense for me to include the PW in season three. :-)

I agree with what you say about the showrunners and that's why I'm also VERY confident that the PW will happen in season three :) When I watched the scene with Joffrey in the last episode, I KNEW that the PW would close next season.

But yeah, we'll just have to disagree and see who's right. :P

A lot of people were absolutely convinced that the sack of winterfel wouldn't happen until season 2, and they were wrong ;)

Wait, really? She was naked all the time in the first season. I understood that Lena had one, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

This! Exactly this!

What's this I hear about non-nudity clause?!

If they do put all the weddings in one season they're going to have to put the RW pretty early, like as early as episode 6-7 or the PW will feel way too rushed. It would be nice having both in the same season but season 4 will really drag if you load up all the goodies in season 3, Jon and ygritte, all the weddings etc. After that the books really go into interlude mode and there's not as many big game changing moments and there's a lot of fat that i'm sure the TV writers will trim out. I almost feel like you could do books 4-5 in a quick montage or as flashbacks lol. The way feast and dance are split among different characters they will almost have to be combined, the fans won't want to go an entire season with hardly any Tyrion or w/e their favorite character is, even the book fans sorta hated it and they're a far more patient bunch. I think it might be better not to look at it as two seasons for SoS but three seasons for SoS-DWD 1.5 to Swords and 1.5 to AFFC+DWD. And though i'd like to see both weddings in the same season the 2 year split was done not only to give the show some more breathing room but to give the Author some more time imo. Otherwise they'll only have outlines to go off of for season 6 which means TV show original filler probably. Dance has been out almost a year now, figure it takes ~two years or so to write a book as long as asoiaf... so if we get book 6 in 2013 shortly after season 4 another two years for the final book will put it out in time to be used as a source for Season 7. Whereas without stretching out book 3 the show would pass up the books.

Bummer to hear no more Dany nudes, I really didn't take issue with the nudity as much as a lot of people have, when it's just there as a sort of "fan service" it's needless but if it's part of the culture like the popularity of brothels or dothraki/quaithe culture then it should be in there, it's just skin people. I did notice the change in season two, it was pretty jarring to go from naked at every opportunity Dany to no cleavage ultra prude Dany... Maybe the actor is American they're really touchy about that stuff, lots of articles criticizing the show for nudity but they're fine that she locked up two people to slowly starve to death / eat each other hah.

From the way they paced the things in the past two seasons I'm VERY confident that the PW will happen in season four. Come back in a year to prove me wrong but until then it absolutely makes not a single sense for me to include the PW in season three. :-)

I'm not predicting what the showrunners would do. I'm just saying what I feel that would work best. And I'd certainly place the PW at S3.

It is just the perfect cliffhanger regarding the Game of Thrones as a whole.

This thread was about character archs, and I think that it's the key aspect. A season shouldn't be planned based on good cliffhangers, but on good archs. And I think we'd all agree that the PW closes a lot of archs (Joffrey's reign ends, Sansa flees KL, Tyrion imprisoned, Melisandre's third leech) while the RW essentially affects just a single storyline.

Again, if you close with the RW, many main characters won't have any evolution during the whole season. They'll end basically where they began.

On the boards a lot of readers talked about how they have thrown the book in the corner after the RW, thinking about not reading any further (eventually doing it anyway). This is such an epic scene which deserves to be put in the right dramatic framework and still IMHO (and there is no way to convince me here otherwise) it would destroy the moment needed to grasp the whole scope of it.

The fact that some viewers might be tempted to stop watching is another reason for not placing it as a season end. Martin placed the RW in the middle of the book and I haven't heard of anyone saying that this wasn't the appropiate "dramatic framework". Having the RW at episode 7 or 8 would make it a bigger surprise for viewers that expect the big things to happen closer to the finale.

After that the books really go into interlude mode and there's not as many big game changing moments and there's a lot of fat that i'm sure the TV writers will trim out.

Season 4 would always have Davos smugling out Edric, Littlefinger's marriage to Lysa, Jaime's return to King's Landing, the Battle at the Wall, the Oberyn/Mountain duel, Arya recovering Needle and abandoning Clegane, Danaerys deciding to stay in Mereen, the election of Jon as Lord Commander, Tywin's death, Lysa's death, Catelyn's return from the dead, and everyting you decide to include from AFFC/ADWD (I'd suggest the kingsmoot, Bran's storyline beyond the Wall, and the first parts of Brienne's and Tyrion's journeys). I don't think we can say this is too little for 10 episodes.

I agree that Storm alone doesn't need to be stretched out over 20 episodes. But I do think it's going to be more stretched than some here believe, because there's so much Clash material remaining to be woven into season 3. From casting, it's certain we'll get the Reeds: Jojen will infodump on warging, prophecy, and magic; Meera will infodump history (crannogmen, maybe the false spring tourney), or otherwise speak enough that Bran starts crushing. It's certain we'll get Edmure and Brynden: not just their introductions, but political discussions about the Frey insult and the war, perhaps even battle. Even without Hoster my personal guess is that there'll also be some backstory of Lysa/Cat/Petyr as kids, and hints about Jon Arryn's death. It's certain we'll get Selyse and Shireen: intros, and at least a little bit of the queen's men/Davos conflict. My personal suspicion is that Shireen and her king's blood will replace Edric, in which case we'd likely get some invented scenes with her as well.

Apart from known casting, the return of Barristan seems inevitable. And I think a little prophecy from Quaithe is probable--short bits each, but still extra to Storm. While it's far less certain, my gut feeling is that we're going to get plenty of Theon added: a built-up Kyra escape attempt with the "help" of Reek, the reveal of Ramsay, and an ending with Theon getting flayed onscreen. When followed by "I sent you each a piece of prince" and a good number of episodes in season 4 without Theon, watchers will believe him dead. Then at some point Ramsay calls for Reek, there's a moment of audience confusion, and ruined Theon is revealed.

All this leaves less room for Storm material in season 4, especially if the Robb/Cat lines are accelerated so the Red Wedding happens (which D+D have strongly hinted). I both believe and hope that the end of Storm will coincide with the end of season 4 (Tyrion and Arya to Essos, Dany queened in Meereen, etc.), with other Feast/Dance material fleshing out the season.

Right......through all the conversations about what should go where and how long things should be and where in Storm things should be split, I started jotting down a rough break up of ten episodes over the period of the book I think should be covered. But then I got really into it and now it's really long.....but if you care to read such a long post which I quite understand if you don't, here's my RW-should-be-episode-9, PW-should-be-Season-4 episode plan. I've gone with the pattern of everyone appearing in the first one or two, then alternating roughly until the end. I'm also assuming that Autumn Storms will be Queenscrown. Also I've put the rough chapters that the description corresponds to before each line.

Couple of things: firstly I'm assuming they won't leave Theon out for a whole season so I've added an 'invented plot' spread across the season. No point in going in to more detail since I have no clue how they'll approach this, but my guess would be either a 'Theon gets worn down and becomes Reek' power play between Theon and Ramsay, or possibly the other way around: 'Theon is already Reek and gradually regains his identity'.

Secondly we know that Daario is going to appear, but a lot of people are assuming Yunkai will be merged with Astapor, so I've taken a guess that Astapor will 1) sell slaves and 2) resist Dany's entry in a Yunkai'i manner. So 'Dracarys', then exiting the city with her swollen entourage shouting 'Mother!'. Kinda makes sense for two cities to be over two seasons: Season 3 Astapor, Season 4 Meereen.

Anywoo........

301:

Samwell I - Fat battle on the fist. He eventually sends the ravens off and runs.

Catelyn I - She and Robb arrive at Riverrun and we meet Brynden & Edmure.

Arya I - She is travelling with Gendry and Hot Pie and has her first wolf dream.

Tyrion I - He meets with Tywin and discusses his efforts as hand. "Some wars are won with swords and shields, others with quills and ravens." Some invented scene with Sansa.

Davos I - Rescued from his island.

Dany ? - Gets rescued by Arstan at the docks.

Jon I - Meets Mance. Episode ends with "Did you see where they put the bastard?"

302:

Jaime I - Boat chase with Brienne.

Bran ? - Arrives at Greywater Watch (or some invented house between WF and The Wall), meets the Reeds.

Jon II - Gets attacked by the eagle, gets to the fist and Ygritte vouched for him. They sleep together.

Davos II - Meets with Sallador, plans to murder Mel but gets put in custody.

Tyrion II - meets Varys, asks him to meet Shae one last time. When he goes, Symon recognises him.

Dany I - Sailing to Astapor, Jorah mistrusts Arstan and we learn about the Unsullied.

Reek ? - Episode ends with the reveal that Theon is alive in Ramsay's custody at the Dreadfort.

303:

Tyrion III - Small council meeting, catch up about events in Westeros, learns about Robb's wedding of Talisa.

Jaime II - Inn of the Kneeling Man, we hear about the Brotherhood and what they've been up to (also good opportunity to emphasise guest rites at the Inn?).

Arya II - Encounters the Brotherhood, heads to the inn and arrives just after Jaime and Brienne have left. Meets Harwin.

Catelyn II - Edmure returns from his efforts at keeping Tywin at bay and we find out that wasn't the plan.

Sansa I - She is invited to dinner by the Tyrells. We meet Olenna, Sansa confesses that Joffrey is a monster.

Reek ? - Some invented plot (Part 1)

Bran ? - He gets some training from Jojen. Episode ends with Bran learning to open his third eye at will.

304:

Bran ? - Bran, Meera, Jojen and Hodor decide to go to the wall, someone (Jojen?) advices they split up and Osha and Rickon head for Skagos.

Jon III - Says his goodbyes to Ghost, stays in the caves with Ygritte while they make preparations to scale the Wall.

Davos III - Mel comes to meet with him, we learn all about the great Other and possibly Azor Ahai. Alester Florent is also confined for writing to Tywin.

Sansa III - She is wed to Tyrion. He vows not to touch her until she wishes it.

Dany ? - Some invented scene in which she meets Daario. Impossible to guess how this will work because in the book he shows up in the second half in Yunkai, which most people are assuming will be merged with Astapor.

Jaime III - He and Brienne fight off the archers, Jaime takes the opportunity to attack Brienne. Brave Companions turn up. Episode ends with Jaime losing his hand.

305:

Tyrion IV - Visits Symon Silvertongue, then instructs Bronn to kill him. He meets with Tywin, who shows him what happened to Ice and tells him to bed Sansa.

Bran II - Whilst travelling to the Wall, Meera recounts how her father met Eddard (I'm assuming a story about unnamed people would be too abstract for the show)

Catelyn III - Rickard Karstark murders the Lannister hostages, Robb has to execute him. The rest of the Karstark men leave Riverrun.

Reek ? - Some invented plot (Part 2)

Samwell I - Travelling with the survivors with a ring of torches, Sam lagging behind, Small Paul helps him.

Arya VI - Travelling with the BWB, they take the Hound into custody. They give him his trial by combat, episode ends with Arya witnessing Beric brought back to life.

306:

Jaime IV - The Mummers attempt to rape Brienne, but Jaime rescues her ("sapphires!")

Tyrion V - Learns that Oberyn is coming, not Doran, and we get some exposition about Gregor killing the children/why Dorne are pissed off.

Sansa II - Meets with Dontos (or Littlefinger?) and discusses escaping during Joffrey's wedding.

Dany II - Meets with Kraznys (somewhere outside of Astapor?) and discusses purchase of Unsullied. We meet Missandei.

Jon IV - He and the others scale the wall. Episode ends with Ygritte telling him of Mance's intent to bring down the wall with the Horn of Joramun.

307 ("Autumn Storms"):

Samwell I - He stumbles across the Other and becomes the Slayer. Small Paul is killed.

Arya VII/VIII - The Hound comes back to where the BWB are staying and captures Arya.

Catelyn IV - Lothar arrives with terms for appeasing Walder, Edmure is put forward to wed Roslyn to atone for his mistake.

Bran III - Camps out at Queenscrown, wargs Hodor for the first time and sees the mysterious strangers questioning the old man.

Jon V - arrives at Queenscrown with the wildlings, gets ordered to kill the old man but is rescued by Summer. Episode ends with Jon fleeing for Castle Black.

308:

Jaime V - Arrives at Harrenhal and shares a bath with Brienne. We learn why he slew Aerys. They meet with Roose and he tells Brienne he's giving her to Vargo.

Davos IV - Brought before Stannis, to his surprise he is raised to Lord. Stannis burns the three leeches.

Reek ? - Some invented plot (Part 3)

Samwell II - The survivors of the fist arrive at Crasters. It turns sour, Mormont is killed and Sam flees with Gilly.

Dany III - Sells a dragon to purchase the Unsullied, episode ends with "Dracarys!"

309:

Arya IX - She makes to kill the Hound but he wakes up. He tells her they're going to the Twins.

Catelyn V - Travelling to Twins, Robb draws up the will concerning Jon. He meets with his lords and discusses Operation Get Howland To Help Us Past Moat Cailin.

Catelyn VI - Arrives at The Twins, Edmure meets a tearful Roslyn and Robb is a perfect gent at the wedding.

Arya X - She and The Hound rob the farmer to pose as traders. They arrive at the wedding and sees the Northmen crammed in the tents.

Catelyn VII - Red.

Arya XI - Red.

310:

Bran IV - Arrives at the Nightfort.

Samwell III - Surrounded by wights, he is saved by the crows and Coldhands.

Arya XII - Dreams she is prowling the riverbank, and sees her mother's corpse.

Jon VI - Arrives at Castle Black and prepares for the impending attack.

Sansa V - Learns of the RW.

Jaime VI - Returns to Harrenhal and rescues Brienne.

Davos V - Learns of the RW, learns to read and learns of the plight of the NW (maybe lose the surprise later and reveal Stannis is going to the Wall now?)

Dany IV - Rides out of Astapor with a massive entourage cheering "Mother".

Tyrion VI - Kings Landing reaction, we meet fake-Arya and Tywin reveals his plans for the North.

Epilogue - Episode ends with Beric sacrificing himself to bring back 'Lady Stoneheart'.

Right......through all the conversations about what should go where and how long things should be and where in Storm things should be split, I started jotting down a rough break up of ten episodes over the period of the book I think should be covered. But then I got really into it and now it's really long.....but if you care to read such a long post which I quite understand if you don't, here's my RW-should-be-episode-9, PW-should-be-Season-4 episode plan. I've gone with the pattern of everyone appearing in the first one or two, then alternating roughly until the end. I'm also assuming that Autumn Storms will be Queenscrown. Also I've put the rough chapters that the description corresponds to before each line.

Couple of things: firstly I'm assuming they won't leave Theon out for a whole season so I've added an 'invented plot' spread across the season. No point in going in to more detail since I have no clue how they'll approach this, but my guess would be either a 'Theon gets worn down and becomes Reek' power play between Theon and Ramsay, or possibly the other way around: 'Theon is already Reek and gradually regains his identity'.

Secondly we know that Daario is going to appear, but a lot of people are assuming Yunkai will be merged with Astapor, so I've taken a guess that Astapor will 1) sell slaves and 2) resist Dany's entry in a Yunkai'i manner. So 'Dracarys', then exiting the city with her swollen entourage shouting 'Mother!'. Kinda makes sense for two cities to be over two seasons: Season 3 Astapor, Season 4 Meereen.

Anywoo........

301:

Samwell I - Fat battle on the fist. He eventually sends the ravens off and runs.

Arya I - She is travelling with Gendry and Hot Pie and has her first wolf dream.

Tyrion I - He meets with Tywin and discusses his efforts as hand. "Some wars are won with swords and shields, others with quills and ravens." Some invented scene with Sansa.

Jon I - Meets Mance. Episode ends with "Did you see where they put the bastard?"

302:

Bran ? - Arrives at Greywater Watch (or some invented house between WF and The Wall), meets the Reeds.

Jon II - Gets attacked by the eagle, gets to the fist and Ygritte vouched for him. They sleep together.

Tyrion II - meets Varys, asks him to meet Shae one last time. When he goes, Symon recognises him.

Dany I - Sailing to Astapor, Jorah mistrusts Arstan and we learn about the Unsullied.

Reek ? - Episode ends with the reveal that Theon is alive in Ramsay's custody at the Dreadfort.

303:

Tyrion III - Small council meeting, catch up about events in Westeros, learns about Robb's wedding of Talisa.

Jaime II - Inn of the Kneeling Man, we hear about the Brotherhood and what they've been up to (also good opportunity to emphasise guest rites at the Inn?).

Arya II - Encounters the Brotherhood, heads to the inn and arrives just after Jaime and Brienne have left. Meets Harwin.

Catelyn II - Edmure returns from his efforts at keeping Tywin at bay and we find out that wasn't the plan.

Sansa I - She is invited to dinner by the Tyrells. We meet Olenna, Sansa confesses that Joffrey is a monster.

Bran ? - He gets some training from Jojen. Episode ends with Bran learning to open his third eye at will.

304:

Bran ? - Bran, Meera, Jojen and Hodor decide to go to the wall, someone (Jojen?) advices they split up and Osha and Rickon head for Skagos.

Jon III - Says his goodbyes to Ghost, stays in the caves with Ygritte while they make preparations to scale the Wall.

Davos III - Mel comes to meet with him, we learn all about the great Other and possibly Azor Ahai. Alester Florent is also confined for writing to Tywin.

Dany ? - Some invented scene in which she meets Daario. Impossible to guess how this will work because in the book he shows up in the second half in Yunkai, which most people are assuming will be merged with Astapor.

Jaime III - He and Brienne fight off the archers, Jaime takes the opportunity to attack Brienne. Brave Companions turn up. Episode ends with Jaime losing his hand.

305:

Tyrion IV - Visits Symon Silvertongue, then instructs Bronn to kill him. He meets with Tywin, who shows him what happened to Ice and tells him to bed Sansa.

Bran II - Whilst travelling to the Wall, Meera recounts how her father met Eddard (I'm assuming a story about unnamed people would be too abstract for the show)

Catelyn III - Rickard Karstark murders the Lannister hostages, Robb has to execute him. The rest of the Karstark men leave Riverrun.

Samwell I - Travelling with the survivors with a ring of torches, Sam lagging behind, Small Paul helps him.

Arya VI - Travelling with the BWB, they take the Hound into custody. They give him his trial by combat, episode ends with Arya witnessing Beric brought back to life.

306:

Jaime IV - The Mummers attempt to rape Brienne, but Jaime rescues her ("sapphires!")

Tyrion V - Learns that Oberyn is coming, not Doran, and we get some exposition about Gregor killing the children/why Dorne are pissed off.

Sansa II - Meets with Dontos (or Littlefinger?) and discusses escaping during Joffrey's wedding.

Dany II - Meets with Kraznys (somewhere outside of Astapor?) and discusses purchase of Unsullied. We meet Missandei.

Jon IV - He and the others scale the wall. Episode ends with Ygritte telling him of Mance's intent to bring down the wall with the Horn of Joramun.

307 ("Autumn Storms"):

Samwell I - He stumbles across the Other and becomes the Slayer. Small Paul is killed.

Arya VII/VIII - The Hound comes back to where the BWB are staying and captures Arya.

Catelyn IV - Lothar arrives with terms for appeasing Walder, Edmure is put forward to wed Roslyn to atone for his mistake.

Bran III - Camps out at Queenscrown, wargs Hodor for the first time and sees the mysterious strangers questioning the old man.

Jon V - arrives at Queenscrown with the wildlings, gets ordered to kill the old man but is rescued by Summer. Episode ends with Jon fleeing for Castle Black.

308:

Jaime V - Arrives at Harrenhal and shares a bath with Brienne. We learn why he slew Aerys. They meet with Roose and he tells Brienne he's giving her to Vargo.

Davos IV - Brought before Stannis, to his surprise he is raised to Lord. Stannis burns the three leeches.

Samwell II - The survivors of the fist arrive at Crasters. It turns sour, Mormont is killed and Sam flees with Gilly.

Dany III - Sells a dragon to purchase the Unsullied, episode ends with "Dracarys!"

309:

Arya IX - She makes to kill the Hound but he wakes up. He tells her they're going to the Twins.

Catelyn V - Travelling to Twins, Robb draws up the will concerning Jon. He meets with his lords and discusses Operation Get Howland To Help Us Past Moat Cailin.

Catelyn VI - Arrives at The Twins, Edmure meets a tearful Roslyn and Robb is a perfect gent at the wedding.

Arya X - She and The Hound rob the farmer to pose as traders. They arrive at the wedding and sees the Northmen crammed in the tents.

Catelyn VII - Red.

Arya XI - Red.

310:

Davos V - Learns of the RW, learns to read and learns of the plight of the NW (maybe lose the surprise later and reveal Stannis is going to the Wall now?)

Tyrion VI - Kings Landing reaction, we meet fake-Arya and Tywin reveals his plans for the North.

Epilogue - Episode ends with Beric sacrificing himself to bring back 'Lady Stoneheart'.

I quite like it. However Oberyn isn't cast yet, so he'll have to wait another season. Also, should the episode be Red Wedding-only? Could be a great build-up.

I quite like it. However Oberyn isn't cast yet, so he'll have to wait another season. Also, should the episode be Red Wedding-only? Could be a great build-up.

Yea, I put in that Tyrion only learns that Oberyn intends to come but doesn't actually meet him. Just so we don't go cold to a bunch of characters in Season 4 without knowing who they are (a bit like the Stannis mentions in Season 1 I suppose).

Tyrion's storyline is actually one of the harder ones, he doesn't really play a central role until the second half of the book. But I'm guessing they'll play up his relationship with Sansa, flesh it out with some other shenanigans around KL etc.

Anywoo........

301:

302:

303:

304:

305:

306:

307 ("Autumn Storms"):

308:

309:

Catelyn VII - Red.

Arya XI - Red.

310:

Given that Selyse and Shireen made the new characters shortlist ahead of Oberyn, Vargo and Symon, I'm sure Dragonstone will have a meatier plotline then Davos being in jail for ep 1 through ep 8.

Given that Selyse and Shireen made the new characters shortlist ahead of Oberyn, Vargo and Symon, I'm sure Dragonstone will have a meatier plotline then Davos being in jail for ep 1 through ep 8.

Absolutely, certainly Stannis, Shireen, Selyse, and Melisandre will have some fleshed out storyline during the season but there didn't seem much point in me adding my own guesswork as to what that might be. But you're right, that is a long time to be imprisoned......I guess you could move his being raised to Lord to episode four and then entangle him in whatever fleshed out plot the rest of that crowd are involved in.

Care too elaborate on that? Given that Tywin arrived in King's Landing in s2e9, it seems overlate to start tackling that plot in s3e3.

Hmmm........yea, I was going by the chapter summaries on the wiki in which Edmure recounts the battle. I guess just some argument surrounding his error? Again, these things will have to be changed around seeing as Tywin stayed at Harrenhal the whole time, but there's no point me guessing how they'll go about it. But I assume Edmure will still make some error, for which he will make recompense by agreeing to marry Roslyn.

Good stuff, although haven't D&D stated that Rhaegar's role in the backstory will get built up more? I think in an early episode we'll get a scene with Dany naming her dragons and either Jorah or Selmy will give some exposition about Rhaegar.

Good stuff, although haven't D&D stated that Rhaegar's role in the backstory will get built up more? I think in an early episode we'll get a scene with Dany naming her dragons and either Jorah or Selmy will give some exposition about Rhaegar.

It's Dany I in aSoS where Arstan tells her all about Rhaegar, so you could throw that in any of the early episodes. I think the dragons have already been named though?

Archived