Who are your top four characters?

TheLastHero

1) Stannis of the House Baratheon, the first of his name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm. This is an easy first choice. Yes I am very much a "stannerman". I started by watching the show first and the books later, but from his debut in season two, he was my man. I was a little biased as he was Ned's choice and indeed the rightful ruler, but I came to find his storyline to be one of the most engaging as it deals with issues of religion, loyalty, and duty all in one and centers around a character with whom I strongly related. So I'd be Stannis. I've liked him so much because I relate to his issues.

2) Tywin Lannister: I have always loved Tywin Lannister. This character was the one redeeming aspect of the Lannister regime in King's Landing. I don't personally relate Tyrion too closely with this faction for obvious reasons. Tywin was clearly one of the most competent rulers the Seven Kingdoms ever saw. His service as Hand under Ares and later for Joffrey gave him a sterling record. He has this very Machiavellian sense of right and wrong that makes his dialogues very interesting and he clearly knows what he is doing.

3) Roose Bolton: I first saw Roose in season 2 of the show though after reading the books, I feel the actor has really done that character justice. From the very beginning, Roose seemed to be this quiet, although extremely competent man who true intentions were hard to guess. His cold calculating maneuvers make for great plot development and his relationship with his psychopath son makes his character all the more intriguing. He is also an immortal half white walker face stealing monster so that's pretty cool too.

4) Littlefinger: This character to me has always been fun to follow. You know he is always up to something and his dialogue is quite witty. The sheer complexity of the political machinations that are his plans and the general ambiguity of his intentions make his plot so compelling. This, in combination with his strange interest in Sansa make it so hard to define him at all.

1. Theon (cause I think he's the best written character, so well written that I can't stop analysing him)

2. Ramsay (more complex than people give him credit, he's an interesting character on his own but I also love his twisted dynamic with Theon.)

3. Jaime (also one of the best written and complex characters)

4. Lancel (despite being a minor character he gets quite a bit of character development)

(5.Cersei)

1. Ser Jorah - Solid backstory, very interesting story arc.

Daenerys - Epic character, most interesting, dynamic character in the story.

Samwell - The only interesting character at the Wall, he has a dramatic backstory.

Brienne - So far, she is one of the better examples of honor in the story, vulnerable inside.

1. Tyrion. Funny guy. Wants revenge on family and friends. I think it's safe to say the imps the coolest in fiction

2. Sansa. She is the main character after all, whether she knows it or not

3. Ramsay. Crazy story, always graphic. And what a success story, rags to riches

4. Euron. The only thing more impressive then his back story is his ambitions, or his knowledge of lying crows and Mereenese dragons

1) Ser Davos Seaworth (honorable, loyal, a good man)

2) King Stannis Baratheon (Iron willed, took the Others threat seriously, smashed the Wildling host like it was nothing, funny in his own way)

3) Lord Commander Jaime Lannister (Feast Jaime, complicated, done taking Cersei's shit. honorable in his own way)

4) Littlefinger (He's pulling the strings and everyone is dancing like puppets)

Giving a shoutout to my 2 favorite minor characters

Donal Noye (1 armed badass who slew Mag the Mighty)

Balon Swann (vouched for Tyrion's honor at his farce of a trial, one of the only honorable Kingsguard)

1. Sansa Stark- Surviving is an artform and requires adaptation. I love how she's adapted to the cruel world around her and she honestly reminds me so much of myself that I find myself sometimes cringing at the things she's experiencing. I adore her and her growth, but also the girl she was. I just wish she and Arya could meet already to sort out their sisterly quarrels (not like I'm speaking from experience or anything...).

2. Catelyn Stark- Such a great perspective on politics and women's role in Westeros. I also really liked her thoughts on her children, particularly her problematic relationship with Jon. She always fights for her children and that is something I was really glad to see, especially in contrast to Cersei who views her sons as a means to her own end (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just found the contrast interesting). I love how Catelyn is always advising Robb on what to do or not do, even if he fails to heed her advice. Her push for Sansa and Arya is just so endearing and I love everything about her. (I'm fully aware of spoilers regarding her, I just didn't think it suitable to do the same for others who may not have finished her arc.)

3. Arianne Martell- A wonderful examination of, again, gender in this world, and the role girls and women are expected to play. While many do berate her for being selfish regarding Myrcella, I argue against that. Arianne is clearly guilt ridden and fraught with concern for the girl. I like how her relationship with her father plays out alongside her quest for revenge and her fears for Myrcella. She's a very interesting person, I think.

4. Daenerys Targaryen- Spoiler alert, I like her. I don't find her compelling, as much as I do her background and the forces she's railing against. As a person, she's rather dull, but what has driven her to the fore of battle is interesting. I love her passion, at least, and her desire to succeed against everything (like Sansa). That said, no she isn't perfect and I get that.

As to whom I would be... yep, I'd be Sansa. We are both very similar personality-wise. I've been called too serious and stodgy before. My sisters often referred to me as the snobbish one growing up. I am a bit arrogant in my knowledge and a bit too trusting of people (this has cost me dearly, and I do mean literally, in the past). I'm learning slowly, as she is, who to trust and not to trust, but I've always known about the power words and actions hold over people. Being nice can get you far, especially if you know the right thing to say to whom.

I would not be Dany because I'm just not that ruthless. Even in my politics, I try to be civil and warm to avoid misunderstandings and convey my points well. As to Arianne, I'm a bit too meek for that type of activism or behavior. I'm an introvert and even online, I'm wary of speaking my opinions outside of my blogs and forums like this one that are moderated. Catelyn is someone I really identify with in that I know what it is to care for children and push them to succeed (I've taught), but I'm not a mother and never will be... so that is something that will always be foreign to me. Same for the concepts of romance and marriage... but I still really love her all the same! (Sorry for the essay... >_> I love writing.)

1) Arya - Arya has Imo the second best chapters, and meets the most cool characters in the books(Beric,Hound,Roose, Etc, etc) and handles them well. I just love her personality and her strength, any other little girl would've gaven up.

2) Stannis every bit of dialouge from Stannis is gold. Stannis is a man of duty, even though that duty has given him nothing. The guy held a castle with almost nothing to eat for months and then gets little recognition The guy did his duty better than anyone could, and then gets practically demoted. I have sympathy for Stannis.

3. Jon Snow - he is just a cool character, lots of interesting things happen to him, and maybe the surrounding cast has a big influence on my decision, but I root for a guy who was mistreated and unloved his whole childhood.

4. Davos - Duty,Family,honor.

Archived