[Book spoilers] RW: Season 3 or 4? part 2

Angalin

I agree with you that the RW will be in season 3, but there is a pretty strong contingent that believe it will be in season 4. I don't understand it, don't agree with it, and think it would be a terrible idea to start out season 4 with the RW, but some still think that is the way to go.

Really? I thought that line of thought had sort of died out. I get why people might think it (when SOS was split it was in part II) but storywise given where we are already (for some stories about 1/4-1/3 of the way through their SOS plot-line) I just don't see how that would work.

I agree with you that the RW will be in season 3, but there is a pretty strong contingent that believe it will be in season 4. I don't understand it, don't agree with it, and think it would be a terrible idea to start out season 4 with the RW, but some still think that is the way to go.

I honestly don't think it would be a good idea to start out season four with either wedding. What is the point in a ton of buildup and nothing to come of it in season three? Because that's essentially what will happen if they have the PW in the beginning of season four. I get the reasons why people think its a good idea to have it in the fourth season but I think it would be utterly ridiculous to start it out in the beginning. But then that poses the question of how quickly would Tyrion and everything involving in that go. Because it could seem very rushed which could possibly be worse than stretching it out like they did Jon and Dany last season. It might be someone else's turn to have their arc 'stretched out'. Personally I just think if the PW HAS to be in season four, then at least keep the buildup going otherwise who's going to care that Joffrey died aside from the fact they've waited four years four it to happen? And also the fact they'd be pissed the Starks kept suffering and nothing bad happened to Joffrey. But yeah I'd prefer a somewhat fast season three where there is buildup and better satisfaction than the PW in the first episode of season four where it wouldn't be as effective , emotionally, on anyone when the buildup to it was already ruined with a years wait. I'm not really caring where they put it at but I would just prefer it be anywhere other than the beginning of a season where it just feels like 'meh'.

I think the PW would be fine in season 4 (around episode 4). I think season 3 is just too early for that. There isn't enough time for buildup for that and the RW will be too big an event to fit the PW in there also. It sucks up all the oxygen so to speak. The only risk is that there wouldn't be enough KL stuff in season 3, but I think they can make it work. You have Tyrion and Sansa's wedding, as well as the setup of Dontos' "rescue" of Sansa (or Littlefinger's if they shift that task to him). They also have Tyrion and Tywin's relationship to explore. I don't think they will have any trouble filling out the KL story for season 3 without the PW.

I think the PW would be fine in season 4 (around episode 4). I think season 3 is just too early for that. There isn't enough time for buildup for that and the RW will be too big an event to fit the PW in there also. It sucks up all the oxygen so to speak. The only risk is that there wouldn't be enough KL stuff in season 3, but I think they can make it work. You have Tyrion and Sansa's wedding, as well as the setup of Dontos' "rescue" of Sansa (or Littlefinger's if they shift that task to him). They also have Tyrion and Tywin's relationship to explore. I don't think they will have any trouble filling out the KL story for season 3 without the PW.

I agree - I think they need several episodes between the Red Wedding and the Purple, which would move the PW to Season 4. Plus, they need to introduce the Dornish for the PW, and I don't recall any casting news about the Dornish for Season 3.

I'm guessing that the RW will be episode 7, since it's penned by GRRM himself and is entitled Autumn Storms. He's penned the "big" episodes so far - Baelor in Season 1 and Blackwater in Season 2. Is there a reason to think that's changed for season 3? (And, with all the huge events in the second half of SOS, which episode does he write in Season 4 - Red Viper vs the Mountain? Jon becoming LC? Dany taking Meereen? Tyrion vs Tywin? Arya leaving for Braavos after leaving The Hound? LF and Lysa?)

I agree - I think they need several episodes between the Red Wedding and the Purple, which would move the PW to Season 4. Plus, they need to introduce the Dornish for the PW, and I don't recall any casting news about the Dornish for Season 3.

I'm guessing that the RW will be episode 7, since it's penned by GRRM himself and is entitled Autumn Storms. He's penned the "big" episodes so far - Baelor in Season 1 and Blackwater in Season 2. Is there a reason to think that's changed for season 3? (And, with all the huge events in the second half of SOS, which episode does he write in Season 4 - Red Viper vs the Mountain? Jon becoming LC? Dany taking Meereen? Tyrion vs Tywin? Arya leaving for Braavos after leaving The Hound? LF and Lysa?)

GRRM didn't write "Baelor" in Season 1. He wrote "The Pointy End" which is episode 7 or 8, I believe.

To me, it seems as though the non-readers would need something so that they wouldn't be too frustrated over the Starks losing to the Lannisters again. The Lannisters won season 1, 2 (Yes, against Stannis, but still) and - if no PW - they win a freakin 3rd time in season 3.

So, if no PW in s3 - what then? What would give the non-readers some sense of hope, justice, purpose?

GRRM didn't write "Baelor" in Season 1. He wrote "The Pointy End" which is episode 7 or 8, I believe.

Exactly. People need to stop thinking that GRRM is "destined" to write RW. D&D want to write it probably more than we could imagine. It's what they've been wanting to do, and Martin found it difficult to write RW once. I addition, Ep7 is way too early, as has been noted.

Exactly. People need to stop thinking that GRRM is "destined" to write RW. D&D want to write it probably more than we could imagine. It's what they've been wanting to do, and Martin found it difficult to write RW once. I addition, Ep7 is way too early, as has been noted.

We know who the director is for the last two episodes of season three, and we also know that D&D will be directing an episode this season, so it's pretty much confirmed that the Red Wedding will be episode eight. I'm sure they'll also be writing the episode, as well.

There will be a Red Wedding is Season 3

PROOF

http://www.ni-wild.c...a56g4IE.twitter

Dead wolf while filming of S3= Red Wedding

The RW could very well be in Season 3 for a number of very good reasons but this picture is not proof of anything.

As has been mentioned on WiC, the picture is of the stuffed wolf stand-ins they have been using since the start of Season 2 for scenes they film and then have the CGI'd direwolves added later in post-production. The picture is just crew members transporting the model to shoot a scene. Additionally, the Northern Ireland shooting schedule (where this picture is from) is for Bran's scenes which they are now filming. The stuffed wolf is the stand in for Summer, not Greywind and it's not dead, it's just stuffed.

Also, fairly certain the thing the crew is transporting the model in is the mode of transportation Hodor is now using for Bran as seen in the S2 finale as they were leaving Winterfell.

We know who the director is for the last two episodes of season three, and we also know that D&D will be directing an episode this season, so it's pretty much confirmed that the Red Wedding will be episode eight. I'm sure they'll also be writing the episode, as well.

How exactly does that confirm the RW will be in E8 may I ask?

For the Purple Wedding, I think it has to be the absolute last scene. You save Tyrion being arrested for Season 4. If you do the Purple Wedding in S3, the last shot is Margarey picking up his body, seeing Joffrey's bloated purple face with a smash cut to black as you hear her scream.

It seems quite likely that D&D would direct the RW, and it also seems very likely that Martin won't be writing it. That leaves episode 8.

I doubt they'll be directing it. Weiss has never directed and Beinoff has a single short film to his credit if I remember rightly. It would be rather foolish and arrogant, considering their inexperience in the field of directing to tackle the most important episode of the season. The potential for disaster is too great so it's more likely (Unless D+D have even bigger ego's than I think.) that they'll be taking on a less important episode. I fully expect them to be writing the RW though. Can't say I'm jumping for joy at that but at least they have experience in that matter.

For the Purple Wedding, I think it has to be the absolute last scene. You save Tyrion being arrested for Season 4. If you do the Purple Wedding in S3, the last shot is Margarey picking up his body, seeing Joffrey's bloated purple face with a smash cut to black as you hear her scream.

If eh did do the PW in season 3 I think this would be like the perfect way, having it as the last scene and everything. I just couldn't see it as something 'half way' through the last episode. Definitely a way to leave a good cliff hanger.

If eh did do the PW in season 3 I think this would be like the perfect way, having it as the last scene and everything. I just couldn't see it as something 'half way' through the last episode. Definitely a way to leave a good cliff hanger.

I think I agree with those who say that Purple Wedding as season 3 finale would be a morale booster to fans, particuarly those who have not read the book.

Otherwise, Season 1, Season 2 and Season 3 would end with the slaughter of Starks and/or the victory of Lannisters, which might be dispiriting and even cause a few to give up on the show as too depressing.

What conerns me (but only slightly) is that rather than splitting book 3 evenly into 2 seasons, the result would be that they are putting 75%-80% of book 3 in season 3 and only the last few bits (Tyrion's arrest and trial, Tywin's demise, Sansa's tribulations in the Vale, election of new NW Lord Commander) in season 4. Granted, the last quarter or so SoS is jam-packed full of shocks, surprises and climactic scenes, so I guess this wouldn't be a bad thing to spread them out a bit. Then the last half of Season 4 they could start getting into AFFC and ADWD.

I think people are forgetting that there is still alot of material that got cut from Clash of Kings that will (or atleast should) make its way into Season 3. Introducing the Tully's, the Reeds, warging, etc. Also, I think D&D's comments about adapting the "saga as a whole" are really going to come into play this season. Just because the RW and PW occur about 2/3rds of the way into Storm of Swords doesn't mean everything that happens in the books before those events will happen in that order on the show.

I think people are forgetting that there is still alot of material that got cut from Clash of Kings that will (or atleast should) make its way into Season 3. Introducing the Tully's, the Reeds, warging, etc. Also, I think D&D's comments about adapting the "saga as a whole" are really going to come into play this season. Just because the RW and PW occur about 2/3rds of the way into Storm of Swords doesn't mean everything that happens in the books before those events will happen in that order on the show.

I agree with this. I can't think of any particular examples from season two but still. Let's not forget that people in the show don't necessarily get less face time just because they aren't pov characters. Just Robb for example, had a decent amount of face time this season. On the same note, if they do still go with the whole splitting Bran and the Reeds from Osha and Rickon, I think Osha and Rickon will still get face time even though they are not really in the books up to this point. So that could still take up some screen time (particularly in season four to help with the whole 'not having a lot of material thing). The same with people mentioning Theon won't just be cut out from season 3/4 just because he's not in those books. (Which is a reason I need to read book four before season 3 begins lol since I haven't read the last two books.) So there are still things they could do and I don't necessarily think they'll stick to 'chronological book order'.

I doubt they'll be directing it. Weiss has never directed and Beinoff has a single short film to his credit if I remember rightly. It would be rather foolish and arrogant, considering their inexperience in the field of directing to tackle the most important episode of the season. The potential for disaster is too great so it's more likely (Unless D+D have even bigger ego's than I think.) that they'll be taking on a less important episode. I fully expect them to be writing the RW though. Can't say I'm jumping for joy at that but at least they have experience in that matter.

D&D have stated, on multiple occasions, that the Red Wedding was the "one thing" they really wanted to get to when they set out to tell this story on television. It's neither foolish nor arrogant of them to assume directing responsibilities of this episode, and all signs point to this being the case. I'm excited to see what they can do with it. And even if you doubt my claim that they will be directing the episode, it won't be too long before it's confirmed (beyond what we already know), so it's another 'wait and see' scenario. As for them directing the episode having something to do with their "ego".......

Archived