So Frey pie. How?

I heard about the missing Freys and how Wyman had them turned into three pies from this forum. I got the fact that Wyman had murdered them which was obvious but I didn't notice the pie thing even though he made a big show of his three enormous pies. I reread the chapter after finding out and it made sense but I still don't see how people found out in the first place. What gives it away?

The fact that he calls for the Rat King song, which is about a man who served an Andal KIng a pie which contained his son, the Andal King asked for seconds. My hope is that Manderly fed the Freys he killed to pigs then slaughtered the pigs to make the pie, thus escaping the prohibition against cannibalism but allowing him to have his pie without actually having to eat it, if you catch my meaning.

The biggest clue is when he demands a song about the Rat Cook just prior to serving the pies. The story of the Rat Cook, of course, is told by Bran all the way back in ASOS when they are at the Nightfort. It's ambiguous because the story is also about the Guest Right, but the juxtaposition with serving the pies certainly implies that Manderly did the same thing with the Freys.

The Frey's left before the Manderly's and the latter arrived first.The accusations in Winterfell of their whereabouts kind of got me thinking, then I thought of Davos and Lord Manderly's conversation regarding his daughter Wylla and I was like the Manderly's killed those dudes and that's why they didn't arrive. And then it hit me by the exclamation over the pies. After that I went back and reread and was like holy $%^&! there friggin eathing those dudes. Another win for George. Dude is amazing sometimes.

And like the above poster mentioned the Rat Cook sung by the 'singer."

The fact that he calls for the Rat King song, which is about a man who served an Andal KIng a pie which contained his son, the Andal King asked for seconds. My hope is that Manderly fed the Freys he killed to pigs then slaughtered the pigs to make the pie, thus escaping the prohibition against cannibalism but allowing him to have his pie without actually having to eat it, if you catch my meaning.

The biggest clue is when he demands a song about the Rat Cook just prior to serving the pies. The story of the Rat Cook, of course, is told by Bran all the way back in ASOS when they are at the Nightfort. It's ambiguous because the story is also about the Guest Right, but the juxtaposition with serving the pies certainly implies that Manderly did the same thing with the Freys.

Thankyou! I saw the Rat Cook thing but completely forgot about Bran's story.

HOW TO MAKE A FREY PIE?

Turn on your radio and find a station playing RAINS OF CASTAMERE

Chopp 2 kilos of carrots, 2 kilos of tomatoes, a bit of hot pepper and origanno, and the main ingridients, bones nad flesh of member of certain family

Fry the ingridients, and than bake it...

Enjoy!!!

NEXT RECIPE: Bolton`s sufflee :)

Supposedly GRRM told us while waiting for ADWD that "revenge would be baked in a pie." So that was a big clue. But I didn't get it til I saw that clue.

When Davos is before Lord Manderly's court, he notes that Lord Manderly looks at one of the Freys like a coackroach he wanted to squish.

3 Freys go missing on the way, 3 pork pies show up.

The Rat Cook Song

Then Manderly says, "savor every bite, for I know I shall."

And then if you want to stretch it, Wyman's son (I forget which one) was fed human flesh at Harrenhal.

Has GRRM ever confirmed that this was the fate of the three Freys?

Well, there's prohibitions on murdering people too, but that didn't seem to bother him none. Basically, as long as he doesn't offend the Gods, then he's all right.

The biggest clue is when he demands a song about the Rat Cook just prior to serving the pies.

It actually one of the last songs he requests, just as he's leaving. Probably why a lot of people missed it.

Has GRRM ever confirmed that this was the fate of the three Freys?

Yes. Can't think where I saw it now, though.

I thought of it before noting the song. I searched the book for where the Freys might have gone since he made such a big deal of the guest gift palfreys they were getting - then they vanished off the face of the Earth. We knew something of Wyman's sneaky smart nature by then. We know he absolutely hated the Freys. I am still thinking the palfreys might even be in there.

I like the idea of feeding them to pigs first but Wyman gets away with stuff by being shockingly bold while the opposite on the surface.

He is getting careless calling for the Rat Cook song and also by flinging the insult that Little Walder would have grown up to be a Frey.

I read somewhere on this forum that GRRM said there was something fishy about the pies. Search left to the reader.

Marie

He is getting careless calling for the Rat Cook song and also by flinging the insult that Little Walder would have grown up to be a Frey.

I don't think he's getting careless. I think he realizes that:

1. Due to his weight and failing health, he does not expect to survive the winter

2. Now that his son is back, he thinks his own life is expendable

3. He wants to sow dissent in the Boltons' ranks prior to his big reveal of Rickon

He's openly trying to sow discontent and strife, I don't think he's being careless. He's TRYING to drive a spike between Northerners and the Frey's and probably Bolton's as well and his attitude and words are part of that. He's risking his life, sure, but not more than anyone under him.

So are we implying Wyman Manderly pulled an Eric Cartman/Scott Tenorman situation?

Yes, yes we are.

Manderly really seems to be hell bent on revenge right now, perhaps because he doesn't expect to live long, perhaps he's just pissed off enough.

I also think at some point in Harrenhall they did/tried to feed his son human flesh, so yeah, very fitting revenge.

I don't think he's getting careless. I think he realizes that:

1. Due to his weight and failing health, he does not expect to survive the winter

2. Now that his son is back, he thinks his own life is expendable

3. He wants to sow dissent in the Boltons' ranks prior to his big reveal of Rickon

I like #3 especially. He is a sneaky sneak and even Roose Bolton knows that. Getting the buggers out from behind the wall would be just what he wants to do.

I think Rickon is at Skagos though. Although with all the cannibalism now associated with Manderly you wonder.

M

Yes, yes we are.

Manderly really seems to be hell bent on revenge right now, perhaps because he doesn't expect to live long, perhaps he's just pissed off enough.

I also think at some point in Harrenhall they did/tried to feed his son human flesh, so yeah, very fitting revenge.

If you call Hoat human

M

Archived