The Weird Events Thread: supernatural stuff

Sci-2

I'm an atheist and I don't really believe in anything supernatural (except possibly aliens, but I don't think it's supernatural because an intelligent life on another planet doesn't contradict any physical law).

BUT I do have my little weird story too.

I don't really remember it, but both my parents told me this story and confirmed it.

When I was 3 or 4 my parents were looking for a house to rent and at some point visited a possible apartment.

They brought me with them and at some point i stopped in a empty room and started talking, playing with some toys I had.

My parents didn't really pay much attention to that because at that age I was constantly talking... to myself, to the dolls, to imaginary friends etc.

So when it was time to leave, I insisted I wanted to stay there to talk to "the old lady".

Since there was no one in the room, my parents wondered who the old lady was. "That old lady with white hair", I said.

Then the owner of the apartment, a bit shocked, said that that used to be her mother's room and that she had passed away a couple of months before.

There are of course a lot of perfectly rational explanations: I was an imaginative kid and I could have just invented it, or I could have seen a photo in the apartment, I don't know.

Still, my parents didn't rent the house in the end. :)

"every nervous system makes its own model of the event: alien abduction, satanic abuse, shamanic trial, temporal lobe epilepsy...whatever. i don't know if they're aliens or time travelers or neural spasms. what i know is this:

unusual information and insights seem to download into the brain. a kind of ego annihilation is followed by euphoric reintegration and a sense of extended understanding.

there's a surge of creative energy, all time is understood to be happening simultaneously, weird synchronicities occur constantly.

a new relationship with time, the Self, and death."

-invisible kingdom

I would like to thank this thread for scaring the fuuuuuuuck out of me.

I mean, I believe everything I've read on here (well, probably 95% of it), and about half of that I wish I didn't believe.

Gryphen's family not looking forward to this year for one.

Fuck man. I already believed something was going to happen but... ugh.

Our stories aren't quite that bad.

One time, I was watching tv, and heard a scream. (Whoever posted this early in the thread reminded me of it). It was... ugh. Nobody else heard it, but damn that flipped me out.

My grandma's parents haunt their house. I say haunt, but not really. They just watch out for the people there. If you feel bad they'll comfort you. It's nice.

Um, my cousin lived in a house that no matter who came in, they all agreed there was one room nobody should enter.

My dad's side of the family have those... dreams.

My uncle was in trouble, and has been for a while, and everynight up until the day everything came to a head, my grandma had a dream of him asking for her help.

She knew when one of her familiy members had a stroke.

My great uncle, is obssessed with the supernatural.

And we all, dad's side, have bad feelings when something's about to happen. Mine's been acting up baaaad.

Hence why I'm just waiting for it to get worse.

I had never heard of Synesthesia before Tobin's post, but I do remember when I was little, 5 or 6 maybe, believing that numbers were male of female and had personalities and friendships, dad tells me i used to tell him different people were different colours too, but i dont really remember it now.

(A story I do remember from about that age was walking with mum somewhere and meeting up with a woman she knew. They chatted for a while, but I didn't pay attention till the woman said "well I'm going to tell the Elf about it, the Elf will sort it out" When the woman left i said "mummy does that lady really know an Elf? Mum explained that she was referring to the Health not ELF" I was so disappointed.

I remember my little brother having a terrible nightmare when we were about 5 and 7. He was screaming and absolutely terrified of a monster outside his (second story) bedroom window. I said "dont be silly, there are no monsters" and swept the curtain aside to show him. I swear I saw the monster!!!! We were both screaming and absolutely terrified.

I was close to my husbands Scottish Grandma and spent a lot of time with her shortly before she died. We talked about EVERTYTHING. She died at Christmas when I was 20. As the result of a long unrelated story I now wear her wedding ring.

My brother from the above story died of lung cancer about 6 years ago. I was sitting in his room at the hospice one night shortly before he died, My other brother was sitting by the bed, I was a bit off to the other side near the window. I heard Grandma say " Gillio. put my ring on your brothers hand so I can find him" I'm absolutely sure it was her, accent and all. Anyway I thought I would frighten the family if I started putting a wedding ring on him, so I just made sure that the hand I held his with was the one with that ring.

I'm absolutely sure she found him. Which is weird, cos i'm not sure beyond that, what I believe in.

I had never heard of Synesthesia before Tobin's post, but I do remember when I was little, 5 or 6 maybe, believing that numbers were male of female and had personalities and friendships, dad tells me i used to tell him different people were different colours too, but i dont really remember it now.

This doesn't surprise me really. The sensory overload can get to be too much, so we usually learn how to tune it out or down.

Another hallmark of Synesthesia is that we don't realize others don't experience things like we do.

My father gave me the strangest look when I said I liked classic and instrumental music because it made the best pictures, I was 6.

So tell us more about this monster - do you mean an actual physical creature or was there some sort of just scary manifestation outside?

Its a long time ago now. My now logical self knows there wasn't one, but i have a memory of seeing it, as tall as the house, peering in at us, but its actual appearance escapes me now, I think its been overlaid by Graham Base's Jabberwocky

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=fzI&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=687&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnso&tbnid=_e7JZk09CeZxUM:&imgrefurl=http://www.murmur.com/literature/the_many_faces_of_the_jabberwock.html&docid=YkpdMOca0GYJBM&imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3717964261_6096d88c5a.jpg&w=377&h=500&ei=6CQpULHUH8uaiAebh4C4Cw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=766&sig=111965860455515521596&page=1&tbnh=161&tbnw=115&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:79&tx=53&ty=92

• 6 months later...

Our Demon Haunted World?

I can't help but think this dude's experience isn't real, but I do love reading about this kind of thing:

Okay. In my book, The Practical Psychic Self-Defense Handbook, which is a very practical guide to psychic self-defense and even defense against vampire-demons as you want to call them, in the book I generally call them “negs” for negative entities, negative spirits that have an adverse reaction. I downplay the name a little bit because when you start using terms like “demon” and “evil spirit,” it tends to upset people, particularly New Age people because it goes against the grain.

I mean, the information in that book came from my own quest for survival because I came under horrendous attacks myself in my early 30s, including full demonic attack and full possession. I was demonically possessed for several weeks and I am the only person I know of ever who released themselves completely under their own steam. I mean, nobody would help me. Everybody considered that if you have a genuine problem then you obviously have a psychological disorder. They didn’t realize that it was real.

But when the teachers and healers I went to realized it was genuine, they stopped returning my calls. They asked me to leave; they didn’t want me there because they don’t have anything in their arsenals or even in their belief systems to accommodate that. So you end up being ostracized by anybody who could possibly understand or help you.

• 2 months later...

The Neuroscience of Psychic Experience.....from the Dr.Oz show.

The brain science of "psychic experience" is both fascinating and important. It generally is associated with a decrease in frontal lobe function (disinhibition) and increases or decreases in right temporal lobe function (similar to seizure phenomena). Many people who believe they are psychic try to hide it, because they are afraid they’ll be labeled as crazy, evil, or satanic. There are even some religious taboos against it. Yet, the Apostle Paul and other prophets had psychic experiences. Such experiences are more common after brain injuries, especially to the right brain hemisphere. Some people report feeling anxious if they try to suppress the psychic experience.

In one study, Brain SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography) scans on 10 mediums (people who communicate with the dead) showed lower activity in the temporal lobes and frontal lobes when doing psychography (writing what the dead were saying). One speculation from the paper was that as overall frontal lobe function decreased, mediums were less inhibited in their abilities. In a similar manner, improvisational music performance is associated with lower levels of frontal lobe activity, which allows for more creative activity.

My sister sees dead people. When she was young it would happen randomly and with total strangers. She learned how to block these encounters for the most part, but deceased close family members, or family members of close friends sometimes get through.

A friend of mine has visions. One account is that about 10 years ago he met a couple who had barely started dating (also friends of mine now, but I didn't know them at the time), and he saw an image of 3 children walking along with them. He told them he saw their 3 children with them, and they naturally looked at him as if he was crazy. Anyway, 10 years later they are about to have their 3rd child.

A friend of mine has visions. One account is that about 10 years ago he met a couple who had barely started dating (also friends of mine now, but I didn't know them at the time), and he saw an image of 3 children walking along with them. He told them he saw their 3 children with them, and they naturally looked at him as if he was crazy. Anyway, 10 years later they are about to have their 3rd child.

I had something similar happen to me with my First boyfriend/fiance. I had a vision of coming to his parents house and meeting a little girl and boy with blond curly hair at the gate. I asked if their father was home, somehow knowing instinctively that they weren't my children. The vision shifted and showed a different place and a girl of about 9 with long straight dark hair, brown almost black. I knew she was mine. I remember being fiercely proud of her, but she was dancing slightly away from me so I didn't see her face.

When I 'woke' from the vision, I asked my First if he had dark haired members in his family. he answered no, "Then why is my daughter dark haired and yours not?" He looked at me funny.

A few years later he married someone else and had a pair of curly haired blonde children.

Further spooky bit was that I married a dark (almost black) haired man, but I didn't have my girl...

Now we're divorced and I realize that maybe the girl I saw was just a graphic warning that I was with the wrong guy(s).

It's funny that this thread should pop up again. My coworker in the next cube over said his 4yr old son was dreaming of numbers and telling him that he could see people in their house. The boy also said he was 'born in 1921' and had a 'party in that house over there' on a street they had never been to before.

I told him to write down what his son said, would be worth researching just to be sure.

If it proves to be nothing more than wild imagination, maybe he could publish it in a book later, :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

More fun stuff I've come across in my web travels:

In 1996 a Psychic Medium called Scott Russell Hill accurately predicted 29 of 30 events live on a radio program in Sth Australia. These predictions were made in some cases up to 7 years earlier and is undoubted proof that some psychics can predict the future and in doing so in effect travelling into to a future we haven't had yet.

=-=-=

Life After Death Project: Forrest J Ackerman's Friends Claim He's Speaking To Them From The Dead

It all started shortly after his death, when an odd ink blot mysteriously appeared on a sheet of paper at the home of his friend, filmmaker Paul Davids.

Davids had printed out the paper that included a list of business meetings. The ink on the paper was completely dry as he left the room. When he returned, he discovered a black ink blot had somehow covered a group of words, "Spoke to Joe Amodei."

"I had no idea why these particular words were blacked out," Davids told The Huffington Post. "It made no sense to me until later, when I was researching Forry's editorial style and I found lots of examples of where he blacked out words so completely. I have found 15 examples of where Forry found a name within a name or a word within a word as being a hidden word to make a pun or a point out of it."

I don't really consider possible "alien encounters" to be supernatural. Aliens to me seem to make logical sense when it comes to their existence. It's a near statistical impossibility that they don't exist. The question is whether or not they have been around long enough to figure out a loophole to the theory of relativity(if there is such a loophole) so that they can explore the stars.

Anyways....my weird event.

When I was a kid, I was staying at my grandmother's farm. In the early hours of the morning there was a piercingly loud sound(think tornado siren but higher pitched and much more intense) and a bright light. The sound was so intense that we had to just cover our heads under the pillows. We went outside to observe after whatever made the noise had left. The cows in the pasture were so scared that they ran straight through a barbed wire fence. This is something I will never forget.

I've never noticed how bad my grammar is while posting in forums like this til I read my last post in this thread. That was just bad. I would like to apologize for making that semi-unreadable post.

Anyway, I have a couple of new stories to share. Hopefully not on a 6th grade level this time.

About two years ago, I was staying with a couple of friends. We were staying up watching tv and Nathan came in from work, freaked out about something. He's not one to easily be freaked out, so we were kind of wondering you know, what the hell?

He said as he was driving, a black cloud had flew in his window, and sat down in the passenger seat. Then another one came in and they started laughing. They kind of flew around for a little bit, laughing, and then went back out the window.

Now, Nathan is a bit of a... a bit of a dick. Not in a bad way, just likes to make jokes and you'll never see him acting serious. So we were all kind of like "Yeah whatever."

If it had been a joke, and he didn't get the reaction, he would've laughed and went on. To this day, he swears this happened. He gets deadly serious if you bring it up.

The same way when you bring up that he swears he used to be able to go from dream to dream when he was asleep. He swears by that. He quit doing that when it started messing with his life.

Again, he is always making up stories, but whenever he gets caught, or just decides to end the joke, he let's it go and laughs about it. He is also among the loudest and friendliest people you'll ever meet. These things make him, well the dream thing anyway, make him go silent. So I believe him.

My friend Ashley, that I just moved to floridawithGODAYTONA- *ahem*

Anyway, she told me a story about when she was living with her Ex-girlfriend. They had just moved into an apartment, and they were sound asleep, and a little girl's footsteps came running in the room and jumped on the bed and started laughing.

So I'm becoming more open to the concept of the paranormal.

While I haven't seen or been exposed to anything that I would describe as "paranormal" I know that my sis, and my dad has. A couple of years ago my sis, her husband and my mom was visiting a medieval church which is now in ruins. And apparently all of a sudden my sister froze in her steps, and my mom would later describe it like if she had a stroke or just been paralyzed. My sis says that she could hear music and voices, singing. And afterwards she looked like she had seen a ghost, being all pale and whatnot (according to my mom). And my sis is basically as down to earth a person as you could imagine, but I know for a fact that this really affected her. I would describe myself as being rather open when it comes to paranormal things, I know that there are often natural explanations to be made but I wouldn't shrug of someone's else's experiences and just say that they were imagining things.

The same way when you bring up that he swears he used to be able to go from dream to dream when he was asleep. He swears by that. He quit doing that when it started messing with his life.

You mean he travels through people's dreams or gets lost in his own lucid dreams? The latter isn't really indicative of anything paranormal, though I sadly have yet to achieve it.

My sis says that she could hear music and voices, singing. And afterwards she looked like she had seen a ghost, being all pale and whatnot (according to my mom).

My sister actively avoids anything that might suggest the paranormal. It's not that she necessarily believes, but feels like any such encounter would keep her from enjoying her life as she'd be looking constantly for these things from that point on.

Anyway, she told me a story about when she was living with her Ex-girlfriend. They had just moved into an apartment, and they were sound asleep, and a little girl's footsteps came running in the room and jumped on the bed and started laughing.

These shared experiences are incredibly curious to me. There is, IIRC, some work done showing altered states can be shared or even in some way contagious, but it's hard for me to see what benefit people would have for making this kind of thing up or having such a consistent, shared experience.

I still think 99.9999999% of these things have a scientific explanation, but I love to look into these things for fun.

I can sense things. I don't know if these things are ghosts or what. I see shapes and movement in the house where I live. I also feel "tapping" on my body at times, like someone is trying to get my attention.

My ex BF claimed to have had weird experiences. When we moved in together, weird stuff happened at night. A lot of sleep paralysis stuff (for me), movement out of the corner of my eye, cold spots. When he moved out, it all went away. Sounds like he took all of that shit with him.

At the Scout Camp I work at, there is a lot of creepy stuff. Places where all you feel is dread, shadows moving in the corner of the eye, weird noises barely heard, but heard by multiple people nonetheless. I'm not a believer per se, but still- some pretty weird stuff goes down at my camp. The Myles Standish State Forest area was a major battleground in King Phillips War, was/is a dumping ground for the Mob out of Boston, and was/is suspected to be a site for Satanic cult activity, like its much-more-infamous brother to the west, the Fall River State Forest.

• 3 weeks later...

snip

I have some similar abilities to you, although not near as strong. It seems to run in the women on my mother's side. My mom and my aunts, one in particular, are very strong empaths. My mom thinks its from our Welsh heritage, something to do with the "Fey" or "Faye" or faeries?. I don't know much about it and haven't been able to find much. If anyone has info I would love to hear it.

Anyway, we all know when something is not right with another family member (by varying degrees of strength). I myself am very sensitive to what I call "emotional climates". Basically, I am greatly affected my people's moods and emotions. I have gotten severe headaches and even thrown up if stuck in a room with someone who is very angry/bitter/resentful/jealous/mean. I wouldn't say that I can "see" auras, but sometimes when recalling a person I will think of a colour in relation to them and their moods at the time.

My oldest Aunt is amazing. She knows things no one should know. When she looks at you, she is looking into you and you know that she knows whats going on with you. Its ok though because she is the coolest, most non judgmental person. She always knows when a person is a good or bad apple. Anyone she has said isn't a good person has always proved her right (eg, ex boyfriends or friends). She also does "healing touch" therapy. She can move her hands over someone's body (not touching just gliding over) and "feel" where they have issues medically or emotionally and can help by putting some of her own positive energy into them. She has been helping my husband with his knees. He has torn meniscus and doctors say there's nothing they could do for him. He can get a lot of pain in his knees. But since my aunt has been :working" on him he has little to no pain. She even does "distance work" and can help telepathically from far distances. She is a really cool person. I could talk to her for hours.

Ghost stories: I have plenty!

-When I was a little kid, about 3-5 I would always hear voices calling my name. I would often come running to my mom cause I thought she had called me and she hadn't.

-When I was 11 my parents bought a new house that was built in the late 1800's early 1900's. The house had only been owned by one family until we got it. The attic was full of old newspapers and old photographs as well as some furniture. My mom said there were certain "spots' or rooms that felt bad to her.The attic was one of them. She said when she saw these two pieces of furniture (an old trunk and a thing that can best be described as a puppet show stand) she felt all these terrible feeling of fear and dread. She made my dad remove them immediately (my dad is not a believer but respects and listens to our feelings). Later she was sorting through some of the old photos and came across one of a bunch of people standing out front of the house. When she saw a certain man's face she literally threw the picture away from herself and freaked out. Now...keep in mind I was a kid and at the time my mom never told me any of this.

On our first night staying at the new house I was getting ready for bed. The light was on in the hallway, but not in my room. As I walked into my room I saw this terrible black, shadow face on the wall. It was evil and scared me so bad I screamed for my mom and ran out. When she came with me to the room it was gone. That night I slept in my sister's room. The very next day my mom had my awesome aunt come over. My mom didn't tell her what rooms or what areas "felt bad" but just gave her a tour of the house. My aunt felt all the exact same spots my mom felt. That day my aunt went around the house and blessed all the bad areas. Then she and my mom went up to the attic with the family bible and prayed over the house asking for protection and to expel any evil. (I know many of you don't believe in God or supernatural things, but please respect my family and our beliefs). Then they went around the house again and all the bad spots had been cleared. I never saw the evil man again (btw my mom is convinced the face I saw was the man in the photo she found).

-That was not the end of the hauntings however, just the evil malicious ones. We also have a lady and a child in the house.

-When I was 12 I was home alone for an hour after school and colouring at the dining room table. All of a sudden I could hear the sound of someone else colouring too. I stopped colouring and lifted up my legs and arms to make sure it wasn't me. The colouring continued. There was no outside noise or anything else that could have made that sound. It was exactly the sound of pencil crayons colouring on paper, and it was right beside me at the table.

-I also have heard the sound of a ladies' long skirts shuffling across the floor, accompanied by footsteps in the foyer.

-My mom, sister and I have all experienced the sounds of someone coming in the side door (the one used by only the people who live in the house). You can hear the door open and slam shut, boots stomping or being kicked off, and then someone coming up the stairs into the kitchen. Its so realistic we usually come downstairs to see whose home. But no one is there. and the side door is still locked.

-Then my daughter was born and weirdly everything stopped for many years. Until my parents renovated and knocked out the wall between the living room and the foyer. My mom was hanging a photo on the wall and adding finishing touches to the reno when she felt someone behind her (she was alone in the house). She turned and said she felt a s "whhoooooooosh" pull away from her. Since then the side door ghost, the lady and the kid are back.

-My husband is also sensitive to this stuff and the first time he came to my parent's house (without being told it is haunted) he knew it was.

-My sister still lives at home and if she knows mom and dad will be gone for the night she will sleep at a friends house.

-My dad thinks we are all nuts lol.

I have lots more but I'll share at another time :)

Ps This thread kept me up till 2 am and I was freaked out lol. Good stories everyone!

I have lots more but I'll share at another time :)

Ps This thread kept me up till 2 am and I was freaked out lol. Good stories everyone!

Cool stories. I won't say I believe all of these experiences you've had to be supernatural, but at the same time I wasn't there.

Also, I enjoy taking a neutral outlook and just letting people talk about this stuff, so more stories are appreciated!

Archived