The Weird Events Thread: supernatural stuff

Sci-2

Ahh, finally the damn forum works >.<

I'm a very rational person, and I find it much easier to believe that we are NOT the only form of life within the infinity of the universe, so why shouldn't they be more developed than us? xD

It's definitely much more likely imo that we're not alone, than that we are all alone in the cosmos. :)

Sure I agree with you about that, but I just choose to believe the living creatures out there are not interested in coming here just to scare us. :)

I think that considering the vastness of the universe it is probably statistically likely that there are other things out there which we would recognize as 'life'. The degree of advancement, though... who knows? The problem I have with the idea of intelligent beings from other planets actually visiting the Earth is that... well, why haven't they introduced themselves? Why wouldn't it be common knowledge? Surely a race of beings with the technology to travel across vast distances would have relatively little to fear from puny humans who are still in the infant stages of technological developments. If they have actually visited but not really introduced themselves, then I think that would be bad. It would make me think that they are scout ships of some kind conducting surveys of our lifeforms and resources and therefore, potentially hostile should our planet posses something of use for them. Maybe it takes light years to report back, and the mothership full of conquering aliens is still generations away. But that would seem to me the most likely reason that we'd have alien craft buzzing about in our skies, yet no form of diplomatic introduction from the creatures themselves.

That said. I think its highly likely that 99 - 100% of all UFO sightings are explainable by human aircraft, satellites, or atmospheric phenomena. One of the more common things people say is that 'it wasn't an airplane!' or 'I've never seen anything like it before!' Well, that's probably because it's some shit that the Air Force is doing that they aren't publishing in the Roswell Times. And with all the crazy possible combinations of materials in the atmosphere there are a number of ways that light playing off of those could create some really interesting phenomena that is simply an illusion and not anything tangible at all. Besides, you'd think an advanced race of aliens would know to turn off their headlights on clandestine earth missions.

I think that considering the vastness of the universe it is probably statistically likely that there are other things out there which we would recognize as 'life'. The degree of advancement, though... who knows? The problem I have with the idea of intelligent beings from other planets actually visiting the Earth is that... well, why haven't they introduced themselves? Why wouldn't it be common knowledge? Surely a race of beings with the technology to travel across vast distances would have relatively little to fear from puny humans who are still in the infant stages of technological developments. If they have actually visited but not really introduced themselves, then I think that would be bad. It would make me think that they are scout ships of some kind conducting surveys of our lifeforms and resources and therefore, potentially hostile should our planet posses something of use for them. Maybe it takes light years to report back, and the mothership full of conquering aliens is still generations away. But that would seem to me the most likely reason that we'd have alien craft buzzing about in our skies, yet no form of diplomatic introduction from the creatures themselves.

That said. I think its highly likely that 99 - 100% of all UFO sightings are explainable by human aircraft, satellites, or atmospheric phenomena. One of the more common things people say is that 'it wasn't an airplane!' or 'I've never seen anything like it before!' Well, that's probably because it's some shit that the Air Force is doing that they aren't publishing in the Roswell Times. And with all the crazy possible combinations of materials in the atmosphere there are a number of ways that light playing off of those could create some really interesting phenomena that is simply an illusion and not anything tangible at all. Besides, you'd think an advanced race of aliens would know to turn off their headlights on clandestine earth missions.

Mostly agree with this. I honestly can't help but lose respect for anyone who truly believes humans are the only thing in the universe. It's just so, so close-minded. Really, it's the same mistake humans made when they thought Mesopotamia was the entire planet. Or that the solar system was the entire universe. Or that the galaxy was the entire universe. We're continually shown that what we think is "everything" is really just a tiny, tiny fraction of the greater reality.

That being said, I do not believe aliens have ever been to Earth, nor are they likely to any time soon. Even if there are thousands of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy, the distances involved are just too vast. And let's not even talk about the motivations, let alone the idea that aliens might "invade us for resources". It really just makes no sense whatsoever.

Are those real stories though? Not necessarily true per SW, but at least written from actual experience? I can go to the horror section o my bookstore for the made up ghost stories I can read. I'm more interested in what people have really seen.

No, we're all making up bedtime stories :rolleyes:

I know it's highly unlikely for aliens or whatever to come to earth, and why would they, honestly? :laugh:

I just haven't found a natural phenomena to explain my experience. I have no idea if the Bundeswehr is experimenting with funny flying things like the NASA, but I'd like to think think that they're smart enough not to do tests over a city.

I love all the ghost stories btw, tey creep me the fuck out^^.

Possible UFO experience:

About a year ago I saw what appeared to be a cloud in the shape of a crescent moon (took up about the same amount of space in the sky as well) move across the sky at a consistent speed. It moved all the way across the sky in approximately ten seconds. This happened at night. Are there any known phenomenon that could cause this? I poked around on the internet after I saw this but did not see anything similar.

Well, that was your first mistake! ALWAYS look to the cats. (although, you'll never fall asleep. My kitteh was constantly seeing ghosts. He could have had his own show. :P )

I was much too scared! It was dark, I was alone, and I was flipping out (internally). My brain doesn't work in those moments!

I used to have one cat who was very protective of the family. He was large and fat, but solid (not flabby). He would growl and snort (yes, snort) at cats outside and would run around the house yowling when we first put the heat on for the winter, thinking there was a fire. Anyway, he used to stare at walls intently. One time I caught him staring at a corner of the room (kitchen, I think) where the walls and ceiling meet. He had to have seen something because then he started growling. I saw nothing there and it terrified me.

I'd rather ignore the cats now. Plus, if they had heard it, then that would have confirmed it. If they hadn't heard it, I would think I heard it my head... which just isn't good.

Ghost Stories:

When I was in high school I was walking home from a friends house when I hear bare foot steps running up behind me, I turn to see who was coming up behind me but the was no one there, and the footsteps ran right past me, on up the street. I was weirded out.

Some time later, I was walking the same path home from same friends house when I hear the footsteps behind me again, I turn and this time i see a woman dressed in white running frantically down the street, runs right past me, while looking behind her, but she has no feet. Then she disappeared. Gone. Vaporized.

I told my mom when I got home and she was convinced I was on drugs. But I wasnt.

A few years ago, after my stepfather passed away suddenly and unexpectedly, I swear I could feel him in the house. My mom said she could also. She said that one night when she was crying, that she felt his hand cup her cheek and brush back her hair.

UFO/Unexplained Object story:

when I was a little kid, i was looking out my second story bedroom window and watched a glowing blue ball bounce across the yard, changing direction, then disappearing.

I get long deja vu, y'know, like 5 minutes all unfolding on rails. The ones that bother me are the ones where I can remember dreaming (well, when I dreamed them).

I answer the phone before it rings, a lot.

I had an experience where I had a dream an ex told me to go to my parents (who had been south for a month, and weren't due back for another), and get my letter. Told a friend the story, and then we drove out to check.

Yup, letter. A letter from somebody I hadn't seen for a year, giving me advice on things I hadn't discussed with anybody else yet.

Ghost stories?

There was a ghost in one of my apartments that stayed in my bedroom. I never actually saw it, but my cat refused to come into the room and would cry for me to come out. My cat is a quintessential mama's boy and is always wherever I am - so him refusing to follow me into a room is a major warning sign.

The ghost never caused any trouble - just would bounce the bed in a sort of 'hey! I'm here!' kind of thing. A few months after I moved in, my cat walked into the room like nothing was wrong, so I guess that's when the ghost left (never felt it again).

I've felt energy presences walk past me before, felt as real as a normal person - but there wasn't anything to see.

My bloodline is Talented - but not all of us have the same abilities:

My grandfather would get prophetic dreams that would turn out to be true, strong senses of deja'vu, etc.

My sister is damn near telepathic at times (seriously, don't play Trivial Pursuit with her - she can pull the answers out of your head). She regularly has full conversations with her husband without him actually saying anything.

Once, I wasn't shielding well and she popped out with details of a gift I was planning for my father (and hadn't put together yet).

In the past, she's used her ability to win fencing competitions (she could hear what her opponent was going to do before they moved). I told her that was cheating.

Me? I have a couple things...yeah, I know I sound like a truckload of crazy:

I have Green Dreams - though I don't always read them right. I knew when my father's heart surgery was going to go badly. I even saw my marriage would fail, long before we had gotten serious about dating (if I had interpreted this dream correctly, I probably could have saved myself years of misery).

I'm not telepathic like my sister, but I can hear people mumbling in their heads. I don't hear actual words usually, it's more of a low level hum from their conscious mind/souls. The only times I've never heard something from someone was when they were unconscious from heavy meds or dead.

I could hear my aunt's confused calling while she was in a coma, it was as clear as if she were talking to me out loud.

When my brother was dying, I could hear his mind slowly get farther and farther away - until he was gone. The machines were still making his body live, but his spirit/mind wasn't there.

Same thing with my father's last weeks - one night he was inside his body, the next morning he was gone - though he was still breathing.

I am mildly empathic - I can sense strong emotions in people, even if they don't say anything. I could chalk it up to being good at reading people's body language - but it goes deeper than that. I'll get flashes of aura sometimes too, if I try hard enough. But it isn't as easy for me as it is for my sister.

I'm not sure what to call it - but if I'm connected with someone strong enough, I always know where they are and if they're ok.

If I lost my (x)husband in a crowded store/convention - all I'd have to do was concentrate for a moment and would know which direction to walk.

If my dad was sick, mom knew to expect my call. It got to the point my X would recognize the look on my face and reflexively ask if I had called to check on him.

My most unusual Talent lies in hurricanes - I can call them to me and influence where they go. My ability isn't perfect, but it is too accurate to just be coincidence. In fact, the current storm Debby is one of mine - my sister called and said that if her boat sinks I have to help pay for it, :blush:

Oh, and I have Synesthesia, which is probably the most normal ability I've been given.

Is there anywhere I can read more on these particular beliefs?

When I was a tween, like 12 or so, I distinctly remember waking up one night and a vague silhouette was in the corner of my room and said my name very clearly. Of course I know now that it was just a waking dream, I wasn't even fully concious at the time, but at the time it freaked me the hell out.

Another time I saw a UFO. Except I mean that in the literal sense. Even while I was staring at it, I knew it wasn't an alien spacecraft, just a jet or something, and some sort of weird phenomenon in the atmosphere that made it seem like it wasn't moving at all.

I'm pretty skeptical overall. At the same time, I'm perfectly willing to say, "That's pretty spooky and there's no immediate rational explanation." But those instances are very very rare. Most of the time, I think, people construct their own meaning and apply it to fairly normal, explainable events. And some of the people that do that then refuse to accept any other explanation, other than a supernatural one, and that really bugs me. My brother's awful girlfriend is like that, which is one of the many reasons I can't stand that horrid woman and am terrified of a potential future in which she becomes part of my family and they start breeding.

Newsun most theosophical societies have books on the subject best thing in dealing with any of this though is to be extremely skeptical about it.

Tobins family seems very similar to mine in many ways, different gifts and strengths of gifts with the individuals. My fav cousin can get a candle out and then make the flame go up and down. Empathy seems to be the most common gift though I have seen some cases of clear telepathy and also much more rarely telekinisis.

Prophetic dreams ......well most of us get them that is one reason why most of the family is getting very worried about stuff this year.

Tobin your sister was not cheating anymore than someone who is faster or stronger is cheating.

Sci your friend is right in some ways about astral travel, there are a lot of nasty things out there, just like IRL, but there are also a lot of good things.

I am not sure who said about everything being energy but i have to agree with that I would also add that I believe intelligence is a function of energy.

Hmm ghost story nah too passe

Oh, yeah - the black man.

Like, pitchblack man.

Back in college, a group of us used to do pot-luck nights at different houses. So, everybody brought food, and pot. And a Sega.

One night we were all really sadly baked, stuffing ourselves at teh dinner table, when I started seeing this black figure moving around the table. If you looked right at him he vanished. Spencer leaned over after a few minutes, and says "Is that black guy freaking you out too?".

So, now both of us are watching it, and then we meet Katrina's eyes, and she's all "You see it too! It isn't just me"

Then, thinking there was a stranger there. Started listing people, and always got extra's.. because it never accounted for everybody. It's hard to describe, but there was an extra person there that you couldn't describe, and nobody could make the list and count work.

Then, we went to watch tv, and saw the TOOL video "Sober" for teh first time.

When I was a tween, like 12 or so, I distinctly remember waking up one night and a vague silhouette was in the corner of my room and said my name very clearly. Of course I know now that it was just a waking dream, I wasn't even fully concious at the time, but at the time it freaked me the hell out.

Similar thing happened to me (I didn't hear my own name but mumbling words I could not understand, like it was a strange language), but I was 20 years old. I had these experiences a few times before as a child, sometimes before I fell asleep too. Could be explained by the state of mind one is in right before falling asleep and waking up, but when the sounds continue a while and you have become quite wide awake, is when I started to freak out.

The thing that was weird about the time this happened when I was 20 was that I was not alone in the room. I stayed with a family in an old house in London and had a roommate. The stairs outside the door was creaky as hell and we would hear anyone coming up the stairs without a doubt. I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night, and felt the strongest fear I have ever felt. I was paralyzed with fear and even held my breath. The sheets were soaked and cold like they'd been in the fridge for a while (and the room was warm even at nights those days). I felt like someone was standing in the corner of the room, a few feet from my bed, right at the door. It was quiet but the fear didn't go away and I stared right up in the ceiling in the dark, afraid to look any other way. Then I heard a very dark voice speaking words I didn't understand slowly, as talking to me. It stopped and it was quiet for a long time, then it started again. I have never been so scared in my life. The voice stopped again. Normally when I wake up from a bad dream I go for the light switch on the bedside lamp immediately, but I was afraid to move. I listened for sounds for what felt like forever but could not hear anything after that. When my heart had calmed down a bit after a long while, I went for the switch on my lamp, as fast as I could. When I'd turned it on I looked to see my friend, she was wide awake staring back at me. I didn't want to scare her so I just asked if she had been awake for a while or woke up from me turning on the light, and she said she had woken up a while ago and felt scared as hell but was afraid to stretch her arm out to turn on her lamp. I asked if she had heard any weird sounds but she hadn't, she was just afraid and had felt like she was being watched. I started to think about explanations and the only thing I could think of was that the other person still in the house was sleepwalking and had ended up outside our door (but we have heard no footsteps after) or was trying to scare us (but why had my friend not heard him then?) and just when I was thinking about this I heard him snoring downstairs and we would definitely have heard him walking down the stairs from our floor. After that I'm not as easy about these things.

A few days later the family living in that house randomly started talking about the ghost they think live on our floor. Apparently the ghost wandered between our floor and the one below and one of their daughters was especially bothered by this ghost since it used to wake her up at night. It was like their family ghost, and no one seemed to care about it much. These people were very intelligent people, and the husband a ridiculously succesful banker. They were a superstitious lot though, and the wife's brother believed in (and said to dabble with) dark magic, I think mainly voodoo. Even if I don't believe in these things, it was not fun to hear just after we had stayed alone with him in the house for a week, and that is when this weird thing happened. I have always found a probable rational explanation for strange things happening, but this was unnerving, all of it. I didn't stay long in that house.

I do have a wild imagination, but having a friend confirm my experience - I just can't explain that away. There was no thunder, or even rain and it was quiet outside and inside so nothing that woke us up that we could tell anyway. I also have deja vus, and premonitions sometimes, but I never thought these could not be explained rationally.

Sci your friend is right in some ways about astral travel, there are a lot of nasty things out there, just like IRL, but there are also a lot of good things.

Come now, you can't just say that and not give details.

I also want to know more about Min's demon conjuration.

I should also confess that sometimes I get feelings, like something bad is going to happen to someone. I try to always give a warning without sounding like a total loon, just in case.

Wow I hadn't thought about some of these things in a log time.

When I was 7 one night I couldn't sleep in my room becuase I felt an evil prescence. I stayed in the hallway crying until my mom heard me and brought me to her bed. I never had that same feeling again but that night is was overwhelming.

When I was 17 me and four friends went camping on a Friday night in an area we knew really well. It was dark and I was driving my jeep along a logging road when I came to a fork in the road and got confused. We all got out and looked around when we all heard a voice calling to us down one of the forks. After accusing each other of making the voice and realizing that it wasn't us we all got spooked got back in the jeep and truned around and pitched our tents for the night about a mile back up the road we cam down. The next morning after breakfast we broke camp and drove back to the fork in the road. We made our way down the fork where we heard the voices and about a quarter mile down thd road we came across a washout around a blind curve. Had we driven down that road the nightbefore we likely would have hit the washout and rolled down the hill. It still creeps me out thinking about.

When I was 21, in a time before cell phones, I was driving a GF home after a date when I turned to her and told her someone I know had died. Whenwe get to her house her parents had a message from my parents to call them ASAP. When I returned the callI learned that my cousin had died that evening after having been hti by a car while riding her bike.

I know it's highly unlikely for aliens or whatever to come to earth, and why would they, honestly? :laugh:

I love all the ghost stories btw, tey creep me the fuck out^^.

To back up Lady I also saw a UFO once but that's a different story.

Oh, yeah - the black man.

Like, pitchblack man.

I've seen that one. Twice. Both when I was a kid.

My great grandmother who has since passed away, used to own this large piece of land in northern Oklahoma. There was an old house on the property that she grew up in. It was still there, but had been abandoned since it had no central air or heating and it was pretty big for just her. We would go up there during the summers to visit her, and when there were too many of us to stay in her trailer, some of us would stay in the house.

The first time I saw it, I was about 4. I was sleeping with my dad and brother in one of the downstairs bedrooms (my mom wasn't feeling well so she was in the trailer sharing a bed with my aunt). My dad had moved the bed close to the windows for the breeze. There was a storm coming, but the house had a porch all around so we weren't worried about getting wet from the rain. It took my brother and me a while to get to sleep because of all the distant thunder, but when the rain fell, we were out. I woke I don't know how much later to the sound of more far-off thunder. The wind was really picking up the curtains in the room and I actually thought it was pretty. I didn't feel spooked at all. Right away.

My dad and brother were both asleep, so I quietly got up to get closer to a window to see the lightening. I watched for a bit enjoying the view and then I just 'felt' someone was standing behind me. I had a really negative feeling, like a sick-queasy feeling mixed with fear. I turned around and didn't see anything at first. Then, I saw movement near the door, like a man who was really tall. I tried to focus better, thinking he was obscured in shadow. It took me a while to really understand what I was seeing. It was like this void in the shape of a man, it was so black. It walked in front of the door and just stood there. I was too scared to take my eyes off it to see if my brother and dad were still there. I swear, the feeling I got was just sickening terror. I thought it started walking towards me and I just started sobbing. My dad woke up and got up. Now my dad looked at the door first and then came to me to see what was wrong. He says he didn't see anything, just felt like he needed to look at the door. But, it had just vanished. Gone. As a kid I told my dad I saw a ghost, and he said it was just he curtains.

The second time I saw it was at my other grandmother's house in New Mexico, just this side of the border in Texas. My uncles had just built her a house, but the trailer she'd been staying was still on the property and very much useful. As my mom and grandmother didn't get along, she jumped at the chance for us to stay in the trailer. My dad had been called away to a work so it was just me, my brother, and my mom in the trailer.

Again, it was another rainy night. It'd been a nasty rain season with lots of flooding. One night, the electricity got knocked out after we'd retired to the trailer and it was raining pretty badly and with the flooding we couldn't make it back to the house. So, my mom told us stories until we fell asleep. I woke later in the night, the rain had stopped. I sat up and looked around, it was really dark and I was having a hard time focusing. Then I noticed a figure standing in the doorway, and I thought it was one of my uncles. I was about to get out of bed when I noticed the coal black void and I froze. I got this feeling it was looking right at me, and I 'felt' it smile at me. In an evil scary way. It leaned in the door jamb and seemed to be waiting for something. I was terrified. This wasn't the sick scary from before, this was just out and out terror.

Then my brother screamed and my mom sat straight up in the bed. This got my attention and when I looked back at the door, it was gone. My brother, as it turns out, was in the bathroom and was coming back when he saw it from the hallway. He felt like it was waiting for him and he thought it was going to kill us. He says it ‘looked’ at him and that’s what made him scream.

We both told our mom that was saw a ghost and we were both crying, but she was convinced that it was one of my uncles playing a joke, as they really loved to scare us. We tried to tell her what we saw, but she was just mad that they had scared us so badly. None of them fessed up to it in the morning, and she was really pissed. My brother ended up telling my uncle, the youngest one, what he saw and my uncle said he’d seen it too. We weren’t sure if he was being honest or if he was just going to use it as fuel for more pranks, as they got us both several times.

Anyway, I haven’t seen it since I was 8, that time in New Mexico. I did talk to friends about it over the years, and 4 of them have their own stories about that void black man.

Frickin scary.

This is scaring the shit out of me, why do I keep coming back here :lol:

Recently, in the last couple of years, I've been having this thing where just as I'm drifting off to sleep, I feel like someone screams my name in my ear, and I wake up. I always convince myself it's just a dream, but I never really find myself scared of it.

In my student house, a few months ago I woke up at about 3am for no reason, wide awake. I laid there staring at the wall, and I just felt like someone was there watching me. I sleep with a lamp on, so I was terrified of turning my head in case I saw something. After a while I just went back to sleep. That could be explained away as a dream or something too, I guess, but I'm certain that I was awake.

Archived