The Weird Events Thread: supernatural stuff

Sci-2

Great stories everyone!

FacelessDude - That sounds terrifying, but it was almost certainly just sleep paralysis rather than anything supernatural.

Yea I figured it was sleep paralysis as I've experienced things similar in the past. But that experience brought on a whole new aura of creepiness.

Good Stories people...

The Scariest thing that's happened to me is falling off an Elephant in the middle of a safari,Not weird or anything just scary as hell.

Did the elephant freak out?

It did that rearing up on two legs thing like a horse,but these are really well trained Elephants,So didn't go on a stampede or anything.

Still that's pretty fucking scary in my mind.

Glad it turned out okay.

=-=-=

Daryl Bem's work on precognition aka "retro-causation".

eta:

Link to actual paper. It's pretty long...Gonna take awhile to read.

eta 2: Summary of criticisms.

Bem’s 61-page study, “Feeling the Future,” is hardly the first to present evidence for ESP, but it may be the most prestigious and consequential. As Douglas Hofstadter, a cognitive scientist at Indiana University, Bloomington, says, “If any of his claims were true, then all of the bases underlying contemporary science would be toppled, and we would have to rethink everything about the nature of the universe.”

Okay so my best mate was always convinced his room was haunted. When his tv was turned off the red stand-by light light would start blinking a lot brighter than it normally would and would make a clicking noise during the night. He would also hear random banging and footsteps. I never thought much of it, in fact I would mock him about it. I even gave it a name - Mavis. Mavis is gonna get you man haha. Well one night I asked Mavis to show himself and asked what he wanted. My mate freaked out and told me to shut the fuck up. I kept at it and it got to the point where he said he wanted me to leave if I didn't stop, so I did. Well that night we woke to the room being unbelievably cold. Coldest I've ever been in my life. And the tv light was going fucking nuts... Then his dog started going absolutely nuts, growling like you wouldn't believe. But he wasn't looking at the tv, he was looking above it. This lasted about 5 minutes then the light stopped and he was fine. That's when I started to think what the bloody shitballs. Well a few months later he bought a new tv and threw the old one out. Now I need to explain my friends bed. It was a bunk bed and under the mattres he had a wooden board that came from the wall to the other side for about 2 feet with a glass plate on top which he used for a bed side table. That night he awoke to some cds he had on there hitting the floor. He said he didn't think much of it as he could have easily knocked it off, so he went back to sleep. He was awoken later by a massive bang and his mum whos bedroom was right next to his came bursting in and turned on the light. The glass plate was on the floor. Not shattered or cracked at all (he still has it). His glass of water, tv remote and phone were all still up on the wood. I wouldn't have believed it if his mum hadn't verified it. She says she doesn't believe in ghosts but also doesn't understand how it could have happened. To this day I'm still not allowed to mention Mavis by his name. Getting my mate to watch a ghost movie is like trying to unread the red wedding.

Edited for grammar

Great stories everyone!

Yeah, I'm enjoying the additions as well.

Not saying I'm convinced but they are interesting in what they suggest about the world/reality.

I'm also interested in beliefs of people regardless of whether they are true or not.

'Angel' priest visits Missouri accident scene

Emergency workers and community members in eastern Missouri are not sure what to make of a mystery priest who showed up at a critical accident scene Sunday morning and whose prayer seemed to change life-threatening events for the positive.

Even odder, the black-garbed priest does not appear in any of the nearly 70 photos of the scene of the accident in which a 19-year-old girl almost died. No one knows the priest and he vanished without a word, said Raymond Reed, fire chief of New London, Mo.

"I think it's a miracle," Reed said. "I would say whether it was an angel that was sent to us in the form of a priest or a priest that became our angel, I don't know. Either way, I'm good with it."

• 4 weeks later...

If you actually, or even sort of, believe in this stuff I'd avoid reading the following as it scared me so I assume it must seem terrifying to believers:

The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts

The idea is that supposed "spirit guides" called up by mediums are frauds, but not in the sense that the mediums are fake.

Instead the idea is the guides are in fact malicious beings of some sort from the spirit world.

That's right, and I guess it's more reasonable than a ghost who steals identities... I don't know anything about this kind of stuff, though, everything sounds really bizarre to me :P

doppelgangar

We have cases here of licences disappearing in the mail. What I do is that I'll mail out a pilot licence, and an acknowlegment of receipt, in one envelope, to the pilot. Now I've had at least half a dozen cases where people call me, saying that they received an envelope with an acknowlegment of receipt, but no licence. (and I'm absolutely sure I put the licence in there)

So I see 4 possibilities here:

1. I'm actually a bit out of it and forgot to stick the licence in the envelope (in which case, it should be around here somewhere, which it isn't)

2. The postal service is, for whatever reason, nicking our licences

3. The pilots actually got them, but managed to lose them immediately, and they don't want to go to the Police to declare the loss in order to get a duplicata (which they'd have to pay for)

4. A fraction of our licencing paper is actually fairy paper, which dissolves within 24h of being written on...

Apart from that, I saw a ghost once, but that's a very personal thing I don't like talking about, and I had a hypnagogic hallucination once which wasn't fun either.

And I had a dream within a dream within a dream once in which a apparated Lany's cat in my bed.

We have cases here of licences disappearing in the mail. What I do is that I'll mail out a pilot licence, and an acknowlegment of receipt, in one envelope, to the pilot. Now I've had at least half a dozen cases where people call me, saying that they received an envelope with an acknowlegment of receipt, but no licence. (and I'm absolutely sure I put the licence in there)

So I see 4 possibilities here:

1. I'm actually a bit out of it and forgot to stick the licence in the envelope (in which case, it should be around here somewhere, which it isn't)

2. The postal service is, for whatever reason, nicking our licences

3. The pilots actually got them, but managed to lose them immediately, and they don't want to go to the Police to declare the loss in order to get a duplicata (which they'd have to pay for)

4. A fraction of our licencing paper is actually fairy paper, which dissolves within 24h of being written on...

Apart from that, I saw a ghost once, but that's a very personal thing I don't like talking about, and I had a hypnagogic hallucination once which wasn't fun either.

And I had a dream within a dream within a dream once in which a apparated Lany's cat in my bed.

Maybe they have decided they'd like a spare "just in case"

I wonder if that was when Lany's cat ran off, maybe thats where he was!

BBC Radio 4 - Beyond Belief, Near-Death Experiences

Beyond Belief debates the place of religion and faith in today's complex world. Ernie Rea is joined by a panel to discuss how religious beliefs and traditions affect our values and perspectives.

Near-Death Experiences often seem to include bright lights, the presence of benevolent spirits and a sense of peace - in other words a very positive experience. However, more unusually, there are others whose experience is very different, some cite overwhelming fear and visions of being chased by demons. Do these have a rational scientific explanation or are they indications of a life beyond this one?

Joining Ernie Rea to discuss the nature of Near-Death Experiences are Dr Penny Sartori of the University of Swansea, whose book 'The Wisdom of Near-Death Experiences' is due to be published in 2014; the Very Reverend Professor Gordon McPhate, the Dean of Chester Cathedral who is also a trained Pathologist and a member of the Royal College of Physicians and Chris French, Professor of Psychology at Goldsmiths College, the University of London.

I'd be interested in finding out whether people with different religious and cultural backgrounds, respectively, atheists, experience these near-death experiences differently.

I've heard these is some variation but there are common traits to most of them. Though I'm not really up to speed on what's out there in terms of evidence for NDEs.

I suppose it's my bias, as I don't expect much convincing evidence to be found.

At approximately 11:30PM last evening I drifted to sleep. I woke mentally (my eyes were open) but not physically (I was temporarily paralyzed) and a type of silhouette or shadow demon was standing on my television. This "shadow creature" was angrily pointing a spear at me and attempting to stab me in the heart while I was screaming (I later realized I was mentally screaming).

What I assume was 1-2 minutes later this anomaly vaulted onto my bed (which is only a foot away from my entertainment system, TV). It scurried about underneath my comforter as I was still chaotically screaming, this thing I could literally feel even I figured it wasn't real. It made this wavering shrill and disappeared.

The issue for me is that I'm currently exhibiting signs of alcohol withdrawals and minor delirium tremens. I began sensing this creepy discomfort 24 hours after my final alcohol bender. I drink the dirty, high powered ale.

It was extremely terrifying, so had that my pupils were nearly as big as my eyeballs. I hate this.

Hope you are feeling better.

Archived