When did the books get to you?

SerMilady

You seem to like it, then why did it get to you?

Because I was pretty sure Jon would bail, especially when he told them to stop and not hang him. His next move took me by such surprise. He proved that he was Ned's son if not in name and that he showed Slynt's companions that he was serious.

Somehow that got to me.

The way the BWB treated Brienne after she took on 7 men to defend an inn of orphans and had her face chewed. Come on! I was so pissed! I wasn't pleased with their taking Arya hostage in ASOS instead of bringing her to Riverrun/letting her continue on her way either.

I was spoiled for a lot of stuff so it didn't get to me quite the way it might have, but the deaths of Tion Frey and Willem Lannister were so shocking to me. That whole chapter was really well-written, the way all the characters responded and the things they said were so believable and in character, from Caitlyn's horror to Robb's confusion to Edmure's sort of weaselly suggestions to Blackfish's honesty.

Jaime throwing Bran from the window. Really?? Who has sex with their sister and attempts to murder an innocent child by flinging him out of a window?? Obviously Jaime was a horrible, evil person and was going to be the most villainous person in the series!! 

Ned being killed. I knew then the series wasn't going to be at all what I expected...

The point in SOS when I realized I liked Jaime. I denied it at first. Not Jaime Laanister! I'd seen his dark side, it was going to take more than a few witty one-liners, a charming smile and some new found humility to win me over And then, "I dreamed of you."

Aemon's blind white eyes came open. “Egg?” he said, as the rain streamed down his cheeks. “Egg, I dreamed that I was old.”

This. The grip of mortality.

For me it was in ASOS I think in one of Brans POVs. This is where Bran, Jojen, Hodor and Meera were in the castle on the island in the lake and Jon was on the shore so close to Bran and then Summer saved Jon from the Wildings. When I realized it was Jon so close I was practically screaming for him to somehow know Bran was in the castle. It was agony reading that the brothers were so close to each other and yet did not know it. I loved the books before this scene but that was when I realized that I was emotionally invested.

When Arienne, the Sand Snakes, etc. treated Doran like crap. It was so obvious to me that there was so much more was happening than they could see.

The Red Wedding surprised me, but just didn't get me like that. And I'd had Tywin's death spoiled, so.

On the positive side: To a lesser extent, Tyrion marrying Sansa. But the only time I straight-up gasped out loud was when Aegon was revealed.

How was no one else horrified by the Old Bear's death? That was just heartbreaking!

When Ned was murdered I was sooooo angry and sooooo sad

When I thought Theon had killed Bran and Rickon I wanted to reach into the book and kill him

When I found out that Ramsay forced Jeyne to have sex with his dogs...........

When Rorge was eating Brienne's face I was horrified.......

When Stoneheart "killed" Brienne and Podrick I didn't read anymore for six hours.

Spoilers ahead, obviously.

I know, I know, this thread will no doubt get clogged up with a certain red social event, but it's worth a shot anyway, just to see what people react to.

For me, it was when the Red Viper fell to Gregor Clegane. I wanted him to win so much, like you have no idea. I sat there in the dark, wide-eyed, verbally going "come on, Oberyn, no, not that way, yes... no, no, don't stand there talking about it, GRRM, don't you dare be setting him up for me... crunch..... really? Crunch? GRRM, did you just fucking crunch Oberyn Martell at the hands of Gregor fucking Clegane?" I'm serious. I was waay more pissed about that than the Red Wedding or Ned or anything before that.

Of course, there is the fact that I spoiled myself about most of the stuff in that book (I'm just that kind of person, sadly), from the Red Wedding to death on the shitter, but that part somehow evaded me and genuinely danced all over my nerves while I read it.

Wait... is this how you all felt reading all the stuff before that, unspoiled? Sweet gods....

Anyway.

Wow, such a kindred spirit I have found in you :)

I felt the exact same way, Oberyn's death actually pissed me off more than any other event in the book. And mostly due to George's awesome writing abilities. For me, while reading the scene in which Tyrion and Oberyn are chatting as the latter suits up for battle was one in which every 3 seconds, I thought: "Yeah, yeah, obviously you're gonna kill Oberyn off, George...I know your foul little game and you shan't ensnare me this time..." then the fight starts, and while I'm still, of course, rooting for Oberyn and more and more so with each Inigo Montoyaesque: "You raped her, you killed her, you murdered her children!" (pardon if I've paraphrased), I'm still convinced George won't let him survive the encounter with the god-dammit-why-won't-you-just-fuckin-die-already Mountain...but then Gregor suffers such horrible, grievous, and by-all-realistic-accounts fatal wounds (he has a spear sticking through him for fuck's sake :P) that George had actually convinced me Oberyn would win...only to poop all over my dreams...such an aggravating chapter. I didn't put the book down when Ned died, I didn't put the book down at the RW...but Oberyn's death made me sigh with aggravation and punish the book with a time out...maybe it was because at that point the previous tragedies in the series had worn me down through attrition...but yeah, that was definitely a "REALLY, GEORGE?!" chapter for me lol...anyway I feel your pain, SerMiLady :P

As a contrast, the chapter in the books that literally had me leaping up for joy and shouting: "YES! YES! YES!!!" out loud while fist-pumping the air as froth formed at my lips; is the chapter in which Arya stabs the Tickler to death...there isn't a sweeter sound I can imagine than that of a little girl shouting maniacally over and over: "Is there any gold in the village?!" :devil:

the execution of Ned Stark (until aDwD this was remained the worse moment for me)

the Red Wedding- (tho my sis says I actually put down the book and refused to read further when Robb had married Jeyne Westerling. so stupid)

the death of Sandor Clegane

the hanging of Brienne and Pod- it seemed senseless

Maester Aemon's death :crying:

Arya losing her sight- I felt it was unfair

But the worse moment? Almost as bad "Ned is dead"? Or worse?

The Death of Jon Snow :angry2: .

I had started praying "please don't kill Jon, please don't kill Jon" after he started letting wildlings through the Wall- and it still was a shock. Can't begin to tell how pissed off I was. I saw it coming but my brain could not comprehend that GRRM would kill Jon Snow.

And I understand why some may put the execution of Jonas Slynt in this thread. Jon was cementing his position as Lord Commander,gaining respect, nipping the Slynt/Allister dissent in the bud etc. It was balls-y :bowdown:

I took it as good sign at the time. I felt good for Jon's prospects, under the pen of a man who had no qualms about killing one of his best chararcters 3/4 of the way into the 1st of 7 books.

That feeling didn't last long and by the end of the book- no Jon.

I can remember borrowing the first book from a friend, then reading a couple of chapters here and a couple of chapters there... One night I was reading and told myself "Okay I'm going to bed after I finish this chapter about Bran"... Then get to the last page or two when he spies on a Brother/Sister then gets... well, you know... So yea, I knew I couldn't go to bed on that note... and that's when GrrM had me.

Archived