GRRM has consistently stated the ending will be Bittersweet

I'd like to see it end with the true heroes, the Starks, Tyrion, Dany and Jon, losing gloriously to the Others.

There is no such thing as "losing gloriously". They will be death, frozen and probably zombified to go kill other humans. There is zero glory in that...

I think the bitter part means Dany will survive :bang:

But seriously, we have quite a few characters that we root for (Jon, Arya, Bran, Tyrion, among others), and I don't see all of them making it to the end. Some will have to be killed off, but I think the major conflict will be resolved. That sounds bittersweet enough for me.

ETA: At this point we don't even know what the major conflict is, so the ending could be a long way away

Right. Bittersweet would be the Others are defeated, Cersei, the Boltons and the Freys, etc. see justice and the Starks are restored but characters we like die or will live the rest of their lives in some kind of melancholy. Of the characters you mentioned, even with those conditions met, is Jon going to be happy, with so many people he loved dead or lost to him? Is Arya, or, as has been said, is she going to still end up being "no one?" Does Tyrion seem any happier after getting revenge on his father? Is living even as an Old God a happy fate for Bran?

And as for Dany, in one of the most "romantic" endings imagined for her where she roasts the Others with her dragons and takes the Iron Throne, that's still three dragons who will outlive her and, if the Targaryen line continues, be inherited by people who are a coin flip away from being mad. Absolutely bittersweet.

Bittersweet for me would be the last chapter in the last book is Bran, looking out over the past/present/future through the trees, confirming on the last pages that, yes, Rhaegar and Lyanna were married, and here's the identity of Coldhands, and look what happened to Benjen Stark, and omg, here's what's hiding in the crypts of Winterfell, and look who put it there! and Nymeria is doing this and that, etc. Bitter because we'd find out everything we wanted to know, but no one knows about or can act on anything. Sweet because at least we'd know...

IMO GRRM will make the ending bittersweet by deviating from readers expectations and thus disappointing them. In particular I think that the winning characters will not have the glorious future you'd expect. For example:

Jon finds out that R+L = J, and it doesn't mean a damn thing. He does not get another magic sword, does not get a dragon, does not get the girl and, most likely, dies after defeating whomever. (Jon is No. 1 in my death pool in spite of the fact that I like his character a lot.)

Aegon is revealed as a fraud but takes the Iron Throne anyway. (Unlikely, but . . .)

Sansa marries a blacksmith, Gendry, as hoped by Jaime, thus finally uniting Stark and "Baratheon," but it doesn't mean a damn thing. He's still a bastard and she's minding the Inn. (Remember, disappointing expectations.)

Arya, who wished herself dead, in fact dies without being reunited with Nymeria. :bawl: :bawl:

UnCat neither gets the revenge she wished for or eternal rest, but perpetually wanders the Riverlands until she becomes a monster of legend.

The Others never invade. They just chased all the humans out of the lands beyond the wall because they're building a freeway and exercising their right of eminent domain.

The Late Walder Frey survives and continues to produce obnoxious offspring well into his 10th decade. (I actually believes this might happen just because so many readers want him dead. Please, GRRM, throw us a bone and kill the old fart. Please?)

Rickon eventually becomes Lord of Winterfell, but is batshit crazy and has developed some gruesome dining habits in Skagos.

Damn, you can go on forever.

Actually, I am absolutely sure of one thing – no matter how the story ends some, or perhaps many, readers will be disappointed. (So Harry marries Ginny and has kids . . . that's it? Wha?)

Rickon eventually becomes Lord of Winterfell, but is batshit crazy and has developed some gruesome dining habits in Skagos.

Hahaha I will laugh for days. I'd love it if little Rickon turned out to be a cannibal.

The good guys will die mostly, the Others will be averted, the world will eventually continue with its bad things and nothing will have ultimately changed. The Others will just wait another thousand of years for the next opportunity. Their sacrifice will have been for an amoral world. I think that's how it's going to end.

I have never felt the ending of LotRs was bittersweet. Arwen and Elrond did not mend their differences. The death of Arwen is in the appendixes and it always seemed to me she died of despair. Sam, Gimli and Legolas would all end up in the Undying Lands with Frodo but again in the appendixes. Arwen and Elrond did not mend their differences. Oh well.

I tend to think ASoIaF will have many heroes and not everyones' life will end well. The book will be great, no matter what. But God, I hope GRRM does not do appendixes!

Pretty much yes. :) Although I tend to think it will be "Winterfell" there and not "Westeros". Whether it will be Sansa, Jon or Arya who says it, but I can imagine either of them saying "I was born to save Winterfell. And it has been saved, but not for me."

Eh, I wrote it with Bran in mind. You know, when Jon comes to take him home, and he can't, because he's condemned to stay in his dead weirdwood throne, sitting in the shadows, waiting for the moment to lure the next broken boy who will keep the Others at bay...

Bittersweet as in people defeating the Others but losing many things, people that they held dear. It doesn't necessarily mean that bad guys will thrive but good guys like Jon Snow could lead the fight against the Others and dying while at it or survive but being unable to reap that success (and their birthright in his case). Tyrion could die ostracized and rejected by all while being useful....

I have never felt the ending of LotRs was bittersweet. Arwen and Elrond did not mend their differences. The death of Arwen is in the appendixes and it always seemed to me she died of despair. Sam, Gimli and Legolas would all end up in the Undying Lands with Frodo but again in the appendixes. Arwen and Elrond did not mend their differences. Oh well.

I tend to think ASoIaF will have many heroes and not everyones' life will end well. The book will be great, no matter what. But God, I hope GRRM does not do appendixes!

Arwen's death haunts me - it was one thing to read it, but to see it on screen, forshadowed in the Peter Jackson movie, was awful. So sad and lonely and desolate. As I will feel if GRRM does an Arwen to a character I love.

Well gang, I actually remember a specific interview where grrm is flattered with his american Tolkien moniker and talks about how hes a huge lotr fan. He added that hes also a big fan of the scouring of the shire. Which for those of you who dont know was at the very end of return of the king and has saruman coming to the shire to cause trouble and generally be a dick. It is very bittersweet cause Sauron is defeated yet here comes saruman to the happiest place in middle earth and totally untouched by the war of the ring and starts harassing the hobbits. So i would expect at the end of asoiaf for atleast some of the evil/unloved characters to live on.

Whats his beef with the harry potter ending though?

You mean you don't have a beef with the ending? Harry Potter, against all things established, coming back to life, and then that stupid nauseating scene with marriages and children and "happily ever after"?

Archived