What one thing would you improve in the tv series in season 3 if you could!

The Hound of Ulster

Stop whitewashing Tyrion, and depict him as the very grey character that he is in the books. The complexity of the characters is part of what makes the books so great to me and it seems like the writers of the show don't care about that or think it's better/easier to have characters that are more black and white.

Stop whitewashing Tyrion, and depict him as the very grey character that he is in the books. The complexity of the characters is part of what makes the books so great to me and it seems like the writers of the show don't care about that or think it's better/easier to have characters that are more black and white.

What would you have liked to have seen in Seasons 1 and 2 involving Tyrion that would have made him more grey? I think the tipping point for him in the books is when he murders Tywin and Shae and becomes an embittered drunk for the most of the next book. If he doesn't commit those actions on the show when it comes time, then I think you would have more of an argument.

And let me get my scorecard straight from these boards: Jaime's too evil, Cersei's not evil enough and Tyrion's not enough in the middle. Got it.

What would you have liked to have seen in Seasons 1 and 2 involving Tyrion that would have made him more grey? I think the tipping point for him in the books is when he murders Tywin and Shae and becomes an embittered drunk for the most of the next book. If he doesn't commit those actions on the show when it comes time, then I think you would have more of an argument.

And let me get my scorecard straight from these boards: Jaime's too evil, Cersei's not evil enough and Tyrion's not enough in the middle. Got it.

I agree that there not many moments in GOT or ACOK that can be consider very "grey". I think the darker shades happen before Shae and Tywinn but still happen in SOS with the singer.

I guess there are going to be loads of people saying that, but i wish they would stick more to the books.

Season 1 was a Watchmen-like adaptation, Season 2 much less so. So I prey they do not continue on that slope, eventually reaching a Wanted-like adaptation in a few seasons, where the story and characters hardly have anything to do with the originals.

Don't get me wrong, I know you just can't translate a book into TV, and I am totally fine with minor changes, stuff being altogether skipped, and hell - i don't quite see the point, but i can live with characters being renamed.

But stuff like the Qarth coup, which serve close to no purpose imo, are dangerous changes.

/end thread]

Most of the story arcs they've changed have ended up working out as they did in the books in the end. Dany's change took a pretty crappy waste of time and turned it into a slightly crappier waste of time, but the end result is the same. I hope when they do deviate from the novels, they keep the end results the same.

My other hope is they deviate from Dany's story a bit more to make it less infuriating to watch as it was to read.

I think the simple fact that they are only doing roughly half of ASoS is a good sign that they will be stcking more to the books, at least I hope. They will have more time to cover less story, so that should mean a more faithful adaptation.

I agree that there not many moments in GOT or ACOK that can be consider very "grey". I think the darker shades happen before Shae and Tywinn but still happen in SOS with the singer.

Hopefully, we will get singer's stew in S4. If they were doing all of ASoS in 10 episodes, I don't think we would, but since they are splitting it, I feel like the chances are good.

What about the part where Tyrion threatens to beat and rape Tommen? I'm kind of glad they left that one out of the show, made me nearly sick just reading it...

To stick more with the books - I mean, they do want the series to be successful, don't they?

Not to introduce new characters (Talisa) or events (stealing dragons) if they don't serve the story that much. I was really disappointed that the first epic Dracarys! will not be in Astapor....

To stick more with the books - I mean, they do want the series to be successful, don't they?

Not to introduce new characters (Talisa) or events (stealing dragons) if they don't serve the story that much. I was really disappointed that the first epic Dracarys! will not be in Astapor....

The changes they make have to not serve the story that much. Else they'll deviate from the story and become too far from the books. They make the changes that make the story fit for a TV show more, like reducing character number, changing the story when it's better and it doesn't effect how it goes, etc. Introducing Telisa was a great change in my opinion. It actually showed us Robb's love story a lot more and made it more than just a pitty fuck we hear about.

Dany's story in Qarth would've been really boring and kinda pointless if they hadn't changed it. Sorry to say this, but GRRM isn't perfect. Dany in Qarth and Brienne can attest to that.

What about the part where Tyrion threatens to beat and rape Tommen? I'm kind of glad they left that one out of the show, made me nearly sick just reading it...

Could be some bias but it came across as a bluff. Though it came across as unclear if he would in his SOS chapter. Giving him benefit of doubt at that point of his arc. He done enough later to put much in the whole episode, he trying to sell to Cersi she has leverage she does not have.

more targs with purple eyes

I never get why coloured contact lenses are such an excess on the budget. To me, the fact that the Targs have violet eyes is such a big deal.

For me it would be to include flashbacks, otherwise the show fans are never going to get with the Jaime love.

I never get why coloured contact lenses are such an excess on the budget. To me, the fact that the Targs have violet eyes is such a big deal.

For me it would be to include flashbacks, otherwise the show fans are never going to get with the Jaime love.

It didn't have anything to do with the budget. I'd have to look for it, but I seem to recall an interview where that question was asked and D&D stated that it was taken out because it didn't look good on film. I also remember something about Emilia Clarke having difficulty with the lenses, as well. I'd have to look for the article to be sure, but I know it wasn't an issue of budget.

Gah. Actresses should suffer through it, imo. And the whole point is that it doesn't 'look good' -- it's a genetic malformity.

To your first point: No, they shouldn't. If something causes discomfort for your eyes, it's generally not a good idea to continually expose yourself to it.

As far as the contacts not looking good, I don't think they were referring to Emilia Clarke when she was wearing them, but how they played on film. Maybe they were overtly distracting, or simply didn't look "natural" (I know, I know - they're a genetic disorder, so they aren't supposed to, but that doesn't mean that they could have made it work).

In any case, it never even occurred to me as I was watching the show until I saw it mentioned here. Just seems like an unnecessary hassle, considering the reasons they decided not to incorporate it.

Maybe, but it adds so much to the 'other-worldlyness' of the Targs, in my view. But then the Lannisters are supposed to have very cat-like eyes and the Starks have very wolfish eyes so it doesn't necessarily matter. I just think it's a real pity.

Archived