Heresy 18

Black Crow

Found further evidence for the 1000 years Andal massive migration theory:

When last the salt kings and the rock kings met in kingsmoot, Urron of Orkmont let his axemen loose among them, and Nagga's ribs turned red with gore. House Greyiron ruled unchosen for a thousand years from that dark day, until the Andals came...

Asha smiled. "And miss the first kingsmoot called in... how long has it been, Nuncle?"

"Four thousand years, if Haereg can be believed. Half that, if you accept Maester Denestan's arguments in Questions.

The Kraken's Daughter, AFFC

So, doing the math, if we take the years put forth in Questions, the last kingsmoot was 2000 years ago, and the Andals came in force big enough to dethrone the Greyirons 1000 years after that, putting it at 1000 years ago, which fits perfectly with the heretical theory that there was a massive, possibly religious based migration of Andals around 1000 years ago.

Gotta love good ole Rodrik the Reader

It is definitely Jon. Also I think that there is no way that Benjen can be Mance Rayder. There would just be too many roles to play. Thirdly, I am a stark supporter of the belief that corpses can be warged by humans. Think of Bran driving an Other from a wight and turning it against him.

Edit:Where is a good online location to learn about the Sidhe?

Also, is Sidhe pronounced shee? Thirdly, hi I'm new.

Wikipedia's a good start. And yeah, it is I believe. I know that "banshee" is derived from the word for "female sidhe", so it's gotta be something close to "shee"

ETA: welcome to the heresies!

And now the questions... If we admit that no-one gave male offerings to the WW since the Night's King's times... Can we say that Craster's offerings have been the fuse of this late WW's "invasion"? Moreover... was he aware of it? And if yes... why was he doing this? Who told him what/how to do?

Gilly says that before giving his sons, Craster would give livestock. So I think he gave his sons because the WW's "returned".

This has nothing to do with Craster or his sons, and may have been discussed before on one of these 18 threads, so I apologize. But if, as I think I saw mentioned on one of these threads, balance between ice and fire is a major issue, might a Dany/Jon union be inevitable? If Dany is fire and Jon is ice, might it be necessary that the two either come together or negate each other somehow? Once again, I know this is off topic, and I apologize.

it's been a while since we've mucked about with bastards in this thread, I recall some serious discussion way back about them.

With GRRM revealing today that Brandon left little Snows running about the North, how does THAT figure into our heretical calculations?

He also did a total squish to the elaborate moon theories.

Up to a point I agree, insofar as there appear to be a very few of them, but I think the practice of giving up changelings has been going on all the time without a gap between the Nights King and Craster. Something which has been speculated before is that the White Walkers may not be the true Others/Sidhe, but their human servants. I can understand this argument, but it has its flaws and on the whole I think adds an unnecessary extra layer of complexity. Revealing them as something akin to the Sidhe is going to be a big enough revelation as it is.

Wrote scepticism aside,

Folks North of the Wall have been giving away certain young children forever... think of Varamyr. Maybe there's more than one category a child can fall into in which it is given away. Where Wargs can be randon, perhaps WW sacrifice babies are part random part hereditary? Idle thoughts.

ETA - Finished my catch-up reading.... Yes, it's pronounced "Shee" ... you can thank the curious pronounciation of the Irish language.

On balance I think not. Marrying a wildling girl, whether one of Craster's brood or not, is the sort of thing that would be remembered. Her being unmemorable suggests something relatively mundane like one of the mountain clans.

forgot to add the quote to the previous post

This has nothing to do with Craster or his sons, and may have been discussed before on one of these 18 threads, so I apologize. But if, as I think I saw mentioned on one of these threads, balance between ice and fire is a major issue, might a Dany/Jon union be inevitable? If Dany is fire and Jon is ice, might it be necessary that the two either come together or negate each other somehow? Once again, I know this is off topic, and I apologize.

But if R+L=J, then Jon already IS fire + ice, so the Jon-Dany union doesn't need to happen

it's been a while since we've mucked about with bastards in this thread, I recall some serious discussion way back about them.

With GRRM revealing today that Brandon left little Snows running about the North, how does THAT figure into our heretical calculations?

He also did a total squish to the elaborate moon theories.

His response seemed to me to be sort of like "yeah, some of the characters we've seen might actually be Brandon's bastards, but none of them are going to be of importance... he's played his part, and he and his progeny have no further part to play_

His response seemed to me to be sort of like "yeah, some of the characters we've seen might actually be Brandon's bastards, but none of them are going to be of importance... he's played his part, and he and his progeny have no further part to play_

Really? I saw it as a *wink wink* from GRRM. Like maybe somebody we know (someone somewhat significant) is Brandon's bastard. And he specifically said "Snow." This scares me that B+L=J may in fact be true and GRRM has been playing us for fools.

Really? I saw it as a *wink wink* from GRRM. Like maybe somebody we know (someone somewhat significant) is Brandon's bastard. And he specifically said "Snow." This scares me that B+L=J may in fact be true and GRRM has been playing us for fools.

As in Brandon and Lyanna?

My question is who is the character(s) heading to Dany we haven't met? Obviously after lurking so long I have the same questions about the interview as others in this thread, but it's hard to believe he's going to introduce another character.

I still don't think his response about who can rule the North as a declaration that Jon can't. At that point Jon is a bastard in everyone's mind and Robb's will hasn't made it to Howland Reed. So he does say a bastard can't rule, but that doesn't mean Jon can't.

That leads me to believe his statement about that and Brandon to be his way to throw readers off of R+L=J.

My question is who is the character(s) heading to Dany we haven't met? Obviously after lurking so long I have the same questions about the interview as others in this thread, but it's hard to believe he's going to introduce another character.

I think he was referring to Victarion, seeing as he's the one we've met who hasn't made it to Mereen yet

I think he was referring to Victarion, seeing as he's the one we've met who hasn't made it to Mereen yet

Okay, but I kind of took it as a character we the readers have not met yet. From that perspective I could see it being him or Marwyn. We won't know for sure for awhile regardless.

Okay, but I kind of took it as a character we the readers have not met yet. From that perspective I could see it being him or Marwyn. We won't know for sure for awhile regardless.

Although from the overall interview I did get the impression that he's actually further along in writing Winds than we all probably think... don't have any proof from the interview to back this up, just a general feeling I got from the way he answered some of the questions.

Although from the overall interview I did get the impression that he's actually further along in writing Winds than we all probably think... don't have any proof from the interview to back this up, just a general feeling I got from the way he answered some of the questions.

It was suggested on another thread (I forget) that now he's managed to fill out the five year gap he's back on the original schedule and starting to roll again - especially as its downhill to the finish.

Sweet, Lost Lord!

More Heresy fodder :D

Probably one of the most interesting of his interviews I've read so far as pointers to what's going down, especially given his unambiguous statement that he deliberately leaves clues all over the place for readers to work things out for themselves.

It bears further reading but two things stand out. He touches on the lack of other Starks early on, but then read the penultimate answer substituting Stark for Lanister...

As to:

Q: Is there a closer relationship between the children of the forest and the Others than there might seem to be?

A: Possibly, possibly. It's a topic that will be developing as the story continues, and so I can't say much more right now.

:commie: :commie: Heresy rocks :commie: :commie:

:commie: :commie: Heresy rocks :commie: :commie:

I'm liked-out for today, so :agree: and :cheers: to Black Crow for having the guts to start this thread (it seems a 1000 years ago) and to all its contributors.

I think this part of the interview might be important for this thread:

And there's another important thing to consider: the North is special. Not just anyone can rule the North. Remember the conversation between Robb and Catelyn when they were discussing this topic: Cat talks about distant relatives with Stark blood in the Vale, and Robb says "No one can rule the North if theĆ½'re not of the North. There's an option much nearer to us," and so Cat says, "Never." Well, you see two options rejected right there for different reasons.

This is either an interesting paraphrase or a mistranslation as this isn't what is said between Robb and Catelyn in ASOS (although admittedly GRRM wouldn't have flicked through the books to find his reference first). However to my mind it does point to a "specialness" or in better English as distinctiveness about the rulership of the north and naturally every heretics' nose must twich with the sudden thought that this points to the one thing that the Starks don't share with other ruling families: a connection with the old gods, the cold gods, the forces of winter.

Of course if Br+L=J then he'd be of The Ned's blood in more than one way and have, potentially, a doubly powerful connection/relation to, well what ever the Starks actually are related to North of the Wall.

On the flip side it does point to how by the time of the Southern Strategy of Lord Rickon the Starks were relatively divorced from their heritage since if dilution of northern blood ultimately means that you can't be of the north and can't rule it then it makes more sense to marry relatives and to pursue a policy of marrying excess sons and daughters into the same northern houses as you choose brides and husbands from.

Again in that interview an interesting point about blood lines with regards to Targaryens and Lannisters too.

Archived