Who's fatter?

Gandalf the Grey

My disappointment is in Martin's lack of character self improvement in this series. In the fat department, I'm talking about Sam.

I was hoping Martin was going to show his symbolic development into a man by showing his progression to a thinner person. But alas, Martin appears to keep Sam as fat as ever. (The odd mention of him tightening his belt doesn't change the fact that he is still viewed as a massively fat person by every person he comes across).

My hope is that Manderly's throat injury will prevent him from eating, thus allowing dramatic weight loss in his case, and hence a longer more active life for this Stark loyalist.

One can dream, I guess.

While they're probably pretty similar in terms of BMI, I always got the impression that Manderly was fat but it was more natural on him (the Manderlys seem to be very much a "big boned" family - look at both his sons) while Illyrio, who at one time was thin and handsome, is just extremely bloated.

I always imagined them as being pretty much the same size but if I had to say one way or the other I think Lord Manderly is bigger. Even the smallest of his sons is massive but nothing compared to Wyman. Also, the fact that he has two obese sons suggests that the size might be genetic, added to the fact that he has a huge appetite. However, we know that Illyrio was rather thin in his youth, so he is probably not so genetically prone to largeness.

Glad to see this board asks the hard hitting questions!

The board is filled with inane topics these days. Intense speculation on unimportant characters who are mentioned but never appear in person, for instance. This one has some entertainment value, not to mention originality.

The board is filled with inane topics these days. Intense speculation on unimportant characters who are mentioned but never appear in person, for instance. This one has some entertainment value, not to mention originality.

You do me wrong friend, I would rather comment on a joke thread 100 times out of 100 then read another wall-o-text about how Lommy is secretly the prince that was promised and Gemma Lannister is secretly Cersei's volonquar because she's the second reincarnation of Aegon Targaryen and a kraken.

SerStinger said it best Ashara dayne is talked about soooooo ridiculously much on this board and she's mentioned like four times in the book.

... read another wall-o-text about how Lommy is secretly the prince that was promised and Gemma Lannister is secretly Cersei's volonquar because she's the second reincarnation of Aegon Targaryen and a kraken.

Wow, that actually explains a lot. Good theory, this.

You do me wrong friend, I would rather comment on a joke thread 100 times out of 100 then read another wall-o-text about how Lommy is secretly the prince that was promised and Gemma Lannister is secretly Cersei's volonquar because she's the second reincarnation of Aegon Targaryen and a kraken.

SerStinger said it best Ashara dayne is talked about soooooo ridiculously much on this board and she's mentioned like four times in the book.

You need to start another joke thread. It's friday. I feel the same way about Willas Tyrell. We haven't met the guy yet, I could give less of a flying f**k about him. Plus, he's a member of the family that made Sansa complicit in regicide. For that, I have no forgiveness.

Also, to bring this back to being at least sorta on topic, does anyone know just how much a stone is? I'm assuming its a uniform standard for weight but I have no idea what it is.

Also, to bring this back to being at least sorta on topic, does anyone know just how much a stone is? I'm assuming its a uniform standard for weight but I have no idea what it is.

I could be wrong, but traditionally I believe a stone measurement of weight is equivalent to about 15 lbs. So 1 stone=15 lbs and so on. But I could be wrong about that. Anyone know for sure?

I was thinking a lot about the relative fatness of ASOIAF characters. I think a character once claimed (though they could have been jesting or exaggerating) that Wyman Manderly is the fattest man in the seven kingdoms.

Now I realize that Illyrio is not from the 7 kingdoms, but I don't think is girth is described in termas as shocking or awe-inspiring as Lord Manderly.

One extremely fat character who doesn't get enough credit for being extremely fat is King Robert. I imagine him as about 6 foot 6 or 6 foot 7, with broad shoulders and he was lean and muscular in his early 20s. Do you have any idea how much weight you'd have to put on to look enormously fat with that type of build? I bet Robert was pushing 350-400 pounds.

My disappointment is in Martin's lack of character self improvement in this series. In the fat department, I'm talking about Sam.

I was hoping Martin was going to show his symbolic development into a man by showing his progression to a thinner person. But alas, Martin appears to keep Sam as fat as ever. (The odd mention of him tightening his belt doesn't change the fact that he is still viewed as a massively fat person by every person he comes across).

My hope is that Manderly's throat injury will prevent him from eating, thus allowing dramatic weight loss in his case, and hence a longer more active life for this Stark loyalist.

One can dream, I guess.

I think in Book 4 while he's on the ship Sam does in fact comment that his pants fit a lot more loosely than they used to. He's still fat, but he's losing weight after all his ordeals.

What about Erik Anvil-Breaker, that guy from the Kingsmoot, and Asha's somewhat husband? He has to be carried around in a chair and can't even stand himself up. According to the Wiki article, he ways 20 stone. I have no idea what that means, but it sounds like a lot. That has got to be enough for inclusion somewhere on the list!

You need to start another joke thread. It's friday. I feel the same way about Willas Tyrell. We haven't met the guy yet, I could give less of a flying f**k about him. Plus, he's a member of the family that made Sansa complicit in regicide. For that, I have no forgiveness.

The Queen of Thorns did that, and boo hoo, I'm sure Sansa doesn't mind helping to kill that little shit Joff.

Also, 20 stone is like 300 pounds. A big Westerosi lord would be something like 12 stone.

I was thinking a lot about the relative fatness of ASOIAF characters. I think a character once claimed (though they could have been jesting or exaggerating) that Wyman Manderly is the fattest man in the seven kingdoms.

Now I realize that Illyrio is not from the 7 kingdoms, but I don't think is girth is described in termas as shocking or awe-inspiring as Lord Manderly.

One extremely fat character who doesn't get enough credit for being extremely fat is King Robert. I imagine him as about 6 foot 6 or 6 foot 7, with broad shoulders and he was lean and muscular in his early 20s. Do you have any idea how much weight you'd have to put on to look enormously fat with that type of build? I bet Robert was pushing 350-400 pounds.

Yeah, from the descriptions of him, Robert was pretty huge.

Also, should we be using girth as the sole measure of fatness? I think Body Mass Index should be looked at as well to better arrive at the correct answer here.

The Queen of Thorns did that, and boo hoo, I'm sure Sansa doesn't mind helping to kill that little shit Joff.

Also, 20 stone is like 300 pounds. A big Westerosi lord would be something like 12 stone.

Still a Tyrell. And actually, Sansa was rather horrified about what happened to Joff. She's incredibly resilient and has displayed little mental scarring so far, but his death really upset her. She was horrified at the wedding and was throwing up on the ship, in part because of what she'd witnessed. Later, she thinks of Cersei with fear too but still doesn't wish her dead. Sansa is not a vengeful person at all.

Yeah, from the descriptions of him, Robert was pretty huge.

Also, should we be using girth as the sole measure of fatness? I think Body Mass Index should be looked at as well to better arrive at the correct answer here.

Still a Tyrell. And actually, Sansa was rather horrified about what happened to Joff. She's incredibly resilient and has displayed little mental scarring so far, but his death really upset her. She was horrified at the wedding and was throwing up on the ship, in part because of what she'd witnessed. Later, she thinks of Cersei with fear too but still doesn't wish her dead. Sansa is not a vengeful person at all.

BMI is silly, considering someone like RObert with a huge built would probably have been considered "obese" before he was fat. As for Sansa, where does it say she was horrified by what happened to Joff? She's horrified that she might be blamed. You are going to hate a whole family because one little old lady murdered an evil king to spare her granddaughter probably beatings and rapes and him raping other women as well to spite her?

BMI is silly, considering someone like RObert with a huge built would probably have been considered "obese" before he was fat. As for Sansa, where does it say she was horrified by what happened to Joff? She's horrified that she might be blamed. You are going to hate a whole family because one little old lady murdered an evil king to spare her granddaughter probably beatings and rapes and him raping other women as well to spite her?

If we are trying to decide who is the fattest, does it not make sense to look at all available data?

As to Sansa, yes, she reacts with trauma. Sansa only shows trauma a few times in the series - death of her father, the riot, Joffrey's death, and the death of Lysa.

Hate a family because one woman wanted to save her granddaughter from being raped and beaten? No, absolutely not.

Hate a family because they manipulated Sansa to agree to marry Willas to steal her claim and then turning their backs on her when she was forced to marry Tyrion, showing they were false friends and not caring about her at all. Then, having her carry the poison unknowingly to the wedding feast, making her complicit for regicide and having to go in to hiding. Yes, I can hate them for that.

Archived