Revelations That Would Ruin Characters For You

The Crow's Eye

- Worst of all : Tyrion, a Targ. :ack:

- Anything that has ties to "Bran and BR are on the evil side" : Bran eating Jojen :ack: , Bran asking for Theon's sacrifice so he could become more powerful :ack: , Bran will work for the WW... etc.

- Victarion or Euron marries Dany. :ack:

- Jon stays dead, maxi trolling from GRRM, as dare to hope some people inhere. :ack:

- If Sansa doesn't save Sweetrobin, I would be really disappointed. But it wouldn't entirely ruin the character for me.

- Cersei redeems herself. You never know... But that would be so not her.

- Jeyne is pregnant. Not exactly a character that would be ruined, but the entire North storyline.

- Theon dies at the beginning of TWOW. The character has so much potential now. Incredible buildup.

- And other stuff I don't have in mind.

Wait, so people are seriously suggesting Arya would be worse-off as a hitwoman whose entire life is do whatever the FM order her to than with her family as sister of the Lord of Winterfell (and possibly with King Jon)? Really?

Yes. How happy was she in AGOT as daughter of the Lord of Winterfell and sister of the future Queen of Westeros? Not too happy: her father, who loved her to pieces, tells her she can't do any of the things that her brother Bran can do even as one so crippled he is thought to be better off dead.

"No, [he can't be a knight anymore]" Ned said. He saw no use in lying to her. "Yet someday he may be the lord of a great holdfast and sit on the king's council. He might raise castles like Brandon the Builder, or sail a ship across the Sunset Sea, or enter your mother's Faith and become the High Septon."

Arya cocked her head to one side. “Can I be a king’s councillor and build castles and become the High Septon?”

“You,” Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, “will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon.”

Arya screwed up her face. “No,” she said, “that’s Sansa.”

Meanwhile her sister, the future Queen of Westeros, was a perfect cow to her and sold her out in favor of the comely, but surprise! sadistic! Joffrey. And look how well THAT turned out. Once they got to King's Landing the only things that made Arya happy were her dancing lessons and Syrio, not exactly a normal activity or companion for a Westerosi highborn girl. Oh, and dear sister ruined their opportunity to get the hell out of King's Landing, which launched Arya on her current path.

In contrast, she loved being Cat of the Canals. She is excited by the challenges set by the Faceless Men. She executes a deserter from the Wall with her own hand, just like her dad. (Isn't that the test in the North of a good lord, following the example of Eddard Stark? The ultimate test of Starkiness? Theon tried it, Robb did it, Jon did it, and so did Arya). She wandered around a foreign city blind, and bonded with a cat that became her eyes. She planned and executed an assassination by herself -- Tywin Lannister couldn't have done better. Killing people, after all is, is what kings and lords and knights do.

To repeat myself: Arya returns to Westeros, kills a few people who need killing to avenge her family, goes home for a family reunion and then what? She can't be a councillor or a builder or the High Septon or even join the Night's Watch. The only life for a highborn girl in Westeros is marriage to some ass she barely knows and a lifetime of child-bearing.

If you can tell me what Arya can do in Westeros besides being meat on the marriage market (and not particularly desirable meat given her place in the succession) I might be persuaded that she should leave Braavos behind forever, but as far as I can tell, anything that might offer her some independence -- like moving in with the Mormont girls, or moving to Dorne, or becoming a pirate -- ARG! -- means she'll have to leave Winterfell or Westeros. If she's going, she might as well go and become a part of the most powerful and dreaded institution in that world.

And enough with the Saintly Sansa -- I'm sure the happy reunion will be over as soon as the Great Lady, She Who is Without Fault or Blemish, asks Arya to put down her sword, comb her hair, and otherwise make herself presentable for company. "Courtesy is a lady's armor." "I've never seen a camel, but I know a camel's cunt when I smell one." Oil and water, oil and water. These two have become even more entrenched in their original positions and for them to become BFFs will be bullshit, imo.

If it turns out that Cersei is a born-evil character who killed her friend (Mellara?) as a child. It would piss me off intensely.

Alas, I fear that ship has already sailed.

What I'm seriously dreading WRT Cersei at this point is that she banged Aerys to get Jaime into the Kingsguard at some point.

Okay, GRRM, okay. We get it. She uses sex to get ahead, the wicked vixen! Just please don't make me sit through a (whether it be actual or implied) Cersei on Mad King flashback.

Also, I would hate it:

--If Tyrion turned out to be a "secret" Targaryen. No. Please, just no. I've heard this theory before, and will literally weep if it comes true. Not only would it ruin a lot of aspects of the character for me, I feel it would just be soap operaish and terribly bad writing as well.

--If Brienne ends up falling in love with Jaime. She can do do better.

--If Arya ends up becoming a stunning, "wild beauty" like Lyanna. Can we not just have one female character who is just sort of average looking? All of the other POV female characters are gorgeous-- Mel, Arrianne, Catelyn, Asha, Sansa, Danerys, Cersei-- with the single exception of Brienne, the (supposedly) "ugly" girl who looks like this:

http://static.vogue....ne-christie.jpg

http://frikarte.com/...o-de-Tronos.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.../Picture 70.png

And even on the show, where she’s clearly dressed up to look bad:

http://film-book.com...ever-die-03.png

(According to GRRM, this actresses looks “exactly like Brienne.” If so, I can only assume that his definition of “ugly” = “clearly pretty girl sporting awful haircut and makeup job designed to make her look plain/ mannish.”)

Anyway, though all signs point to Arya becoming a total knockout, I personally wish one female character could remain sort of average looking.

--If Brienne ends up falling in love with Jaime. She can do do better.

Alas, I fear that ship has already sailed.

Sorry.

And, you definitely have a problem about the way GRRM depicts women. Don't try to deny it again like in the other thread (threads ?).

Asha isn't stunning at all btw. People often say this but Theon described her nose as too big for her face and she looked rough. The casting was right. I think people just imagined her as extremely attractive because of her personality. She wasn't written that way.

With Arya she won't be wearing her own face anyway.

Anyways, when we have our badass lists male characters who also kill with little to no remorse and started to kill young are seen as cool and badas but Arya is the damaged psychotic one. Whatever.

Arya doesn't want to be Arya Stark atm in the story. It's not like the KM did not give her the opportunity. I don't care about Bran or Arya potentially becoming villains btw. They better be the best villains yet in the story if they go down that path.

On topic, I need Jaime dead and in disgrace by the end of the story. His Goldenhand the Just idea better not come to fruition.

There's more but that is the one that is most important to me. It will ruin the series for me probably if he's alive at the end.

Stannis dying a boring death, in a way which he is not doing what is best for the Realm.

Dany staying in Mereen or been a beloved savior of Westeros and marrying Jon.

Sansa not choosing her own path and/or husband.

Anything that ruins Ned's or Maester Aemon's name.

Jon Snow being evil.

Tyrion not being able to see/hear of Cersei's demise. He would have loved her penance walk.

<snip>

I have to say that I do dislike the theories that Sansa/Rickon/and/or Jon will be the figurehead and Arya can do their dirty work behind the scenes.

I don't see that as any better than what she's doing for the FM. It might even be worse.

I also dislike theories that Arya will go into Nymeria. Then Sansa can take Nymeria and they can live as Sansa's pet. I don't even see that as likely. First of all, memories fade so after a while there will be no more Arya. I don't think Nymeria will go back to being a non wild and feral wolf either. I think she will cut ties to her past like her namesake.

I'd rather both Arya and Nymeria dead before that happened.

I hate Jaime to be sure, but I can't have him and Joffery die. Who would I love to hate then.....

If Jaime and Cersei both lived and they ended up together somehow. I don't want Jaime to forgive her.

Brienne dying without telling Jaime she loves him. Or it turns out she will will give him up to Stoneheart.

If Jon some how ends up in love with Dany. No Bueno

If there is no AA or AAR

If Stannis does not get to be a king of one of the seven kingdoms after the long night ends

Sam not getting to confront his pops

If GRRM cuts down on the sex scenes...some of the best comedy EVER. Please don't skimp out on us.

Archived