New GRRM interview

Two Towers

Then proving Jon was Rhaegar's son will be nearly impossible, since Jon looks nothing like a Targaryen.

Has there been a Targaryen that didn't look like a Targaryen?

The best example was the daughter of Rhaegar and Elia. Rhaenys is described as brown haired and resembling a Martell. If one of Rhaegar's children resembled his mother why not another?

Because Reed would see Ned come out with a baby in his arms and just be like "oh cool, Ned has a kid now, I won't ask any questions or infer anything there."

The baby either arrived by raven (a large one) from Wylla or a fisherman's daughter.

It's not about the quote it's just my gut feeling I got from that chapter. It's how I interpreted it.

Please re-read. Or at least try my edited post

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/71917-new-grrm-interview/page__st__80#entry3484547

It's not meant as a put down. Just give a chance to different reading.

One of the questions I asked on the worldcon q's for GRRM goggle moderator page http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=2015bd&t=2015bd.40&f=2015bd.66eda9&o=70

"Will the series end with a POV character we've read before or will it be an Epilogue character?"

And it has more negative votes then positive.

I always assumed he knew which POV it was. I'm not asking for a name just wondering if it will be a like AGOT which ended with a known character like Dany or like ADWD which ended with a minor character getting their first POV.

Shall I find the quote?

Edit: Here it is.

Then he senses Ghost and goes to meet him.

(italics from book)

The Starks believe (or some of them, see Catelyn) that the direwolves were sent by the Old Gods. I think Jon sees Ghost's colouring as double sign: 1) He's not a Stark. 2) His gods are the Old Gods. His vows don't really come to his mind in the moment of his decision.

If the change of religion weren't part of the deal, then I'm not so sure, but I think he still wouldn't take the offer, but because he feels unworthy of Winterfell as a bastard. When you read that chapter he thinks about his bastardy and the old gods, but not much of his vows, if at all.

Yep, you're right, you convinced me. I don't know why I was with the wrong impression after reading this chapter. And that he wanted it and was guilty for it is also revealing. Conclusion - one should reread.

Yep, you're right, you convinced me. I don't know why I was with the wrong impression after reading this chapter. And that he wanted it and was guilty for it is also revealing. Conclusion - one should reread.

I'm re-reading all the time. Nobody from my family understands it. "Are those books really that hard to understand that you didn't get it the second time around?" :D

So if there was a baby in the room let us asume he probably saw it and probably had some questions.

I don't think there would be any questions because the realm knew that L+R were together somewhere! The child's a Stark and Howland would follow Ned's lead. Whatever Ned said about the baby became gospel when the words passed his lips. On second thought, it may have been Howland that came up with the plan for Jon's story. Ned was extremely distraught and may not have been very functional. Howland may have talked Ned through what needed to be done to protect the child's life.

And that 2 hour talk between Jon and Tormund was just a talk?!!

Hey guys, in the So Spake Martin thread there's a link to yet another interview in Spanish. It was made on July 31. http://www.20minutos...on-hielo-fuego/

Anybody translated that already?

I think no one translated it, but I could be wrong. The only new thing there it's George saying that the Citadel has the biggest library in the world (at least new for me).

If it helps, Martin actually didn't start writing WoW until the beginning of this year.

I think it was May 12 was his first mention that he "is working" on Winds. No prior info.

He did once suggest that he WOULD resume working on Winds at the beginning of the year, but that was when it was also his plan and his intent to finished several other projects first. He still has not completed a number of those projects.

So, he had 200 held over from Dance. He has another 200 completed but still being revised. So, he has managed to get those 200 since January.

In July 2010 he had completed, and moved to Winds, five chapters totalling "more than a hundred" pages.

In his May, 2011 not-a-blog, he wrote a long post from which one could validly infer that he had moved another 90-100 pages to Winds. It is not 100% clear if these 90-100 pages were complete or incomplete. This estimate is derived from the "nearly 1700" total he gives, and it is not clear if that figure includes only completed chapters.

He did say in the same post that all his figures refer only to completed chapters, but it is not clear if this was meant to refer to his "nearly 1700" estimate. In any event, he had at the time substantial incomplete material, that may or may not have been included in his "nearly 1700" estimate.

So, in May 2011, he had either ~200 pages total, or ~200 pages counting only COMPLETED pages. His statements have not been specific on this point.

In April 2012 he began saying in interviews that he had ~200 pages written. Again, it is ambiguous whether this only counts completed chapters.

Recently, he gave a virtually inaudible interview in Spain. Recently, certain persons have been claiming that he has 400 pages written, and have cited this inaudible interview as authority. Be VERY skeptical. I have listened to the interview and cannot hear what others claim to have heard.

Hope this helps.

Recently, he gave a virtually inaudible interview in Spain. Recently, certain persons have been claiming that he has 400 pages written, and have cited this inaudible interview as authority. Be VERY skeptical. I have listened to the interview and cannot hear what others claim to have heard.

There is a transcription of the interview. In it, Martin said that he has 200 finished pages and another 200 that he needs to revise. He said that again in this new interview.

I always imagine Tytos Blackwood looking like a taller, dark haired, basically non albino version of Bloodraven. He's such a BAMF. I can't stand Jonos Bracken though, guy seems like a complete ass (...and so was Bittersteel)

Yeah, the Brackens are all jerks. There's a Bracken around the D&E stories that was known as "The Brute of Bracken".

There is a transcription of the interview. In it, Martin said that he has 200 finished pages and another 200 that he needs to revise. He said that again in this new interview.

It appears to be the same interview ... or an excerpt from it. It is a very loose translation. Someone aparently transcribed his words and translated them into Spanish. Then someone else translated them back into English.

What I hear is him first saying that he has "[inaudible] hundred" in finished form, and "probably an equal amount" in crude form. You can hear his original words on So Spake Martin, the July 18 interview, at the 8:50 minute:second mark.

Whether "200" is accurate may depend on whether the original transcriber could hear his words any better than I can.

I don't think there would be any questions because the realm knew that L+R were together somewhere! The child's a Stark and Howland would follow Ned's lead. Whatever Ned said about the baby became gospel when the words passed his lips. On second thought, it may have been Howland that came up with the plan for Jon's story. Ned was extremely distraught and may not have been very functional. Howland may have talked Ned through what needed to be done to protect the child's life.

And that 2 hour talk between Jon and Tormund was just a talk?!!

I said the same thing but my funny button on the keyboard was off so it didn't show in the cursive :)

Shall I find the quote?

Edit: Here it is.

Then he senses Ghost and goes to meet him.

(italics from book)

The Starks believe (or some of them, see Catelyn) that the direwolves were sent by the Old Gods. I think Jon sees Ghost's colouring as double sign: 1) He's not a Stark. 2) His gods are the Old Gods. His vows don't really come to his mind in the moment of his decision.

If the change of religion weren't part of the deal, then I'm not so sure, but I think he still wouldn't take the offer, but because he feels unworthy of Winterfell as a bastard. When you read that chapter he thinks about his bastardy and the old gods, but not much of his vows, if at all.

I appreciate the effort.

Having heard the interview, to me it sounds as if he is implying he has 200 pages total and not even in finished form. Or, in other words, less than 1/7th of the book.

I agree that one cannot tell just from the interview itself. But, based on other evidence, I am inclined to think he must have said 200 in finished form, and a roughly equal amount in crude form (as opposed to 100 in finished form; and a roughly equal amount in unfinished form). My reasoning is as follows.

We know he has more than 100 in finished form because: We have 5 finished chapters (Arya, 2x Arianne, Aeron, Sansa) in June/July 2010 amounting to "more than 100 pages". Then we have Theon, Victarion and Tyrion, which must be roughly complete, or he would not be releasing them on his website or reading them at conventions, bringing the total to roughly 160 pages. Add 1 or 2 more chapters that we don't know about, and we already at a 200 page "finished" total.

Also, his remarks in his May 19, 2011 not a blog are prefaced with the following disclaimer: "The page counts given in what follows refer only to COMPLETE CHAPTERS in final draft form... or what I thought was 'complete' and 'final' at that time." I am inclined to take him at his word, and conclude that his claim to have reached nearly 1700 pages applies to completed chapters.

Hence, he already had roughly 200 completed pages in May 2011.

What about this other 200 pages that he may have said (in this hard-to-hear interview) he had in very rough form? Is that new writing?

Again, there is no reason to believe so. Firstly, even in in May 2011 he indicated he had additional material: "In each case, I had many pages of additional chapters roughed out or partially written, but those pages were not included in my count."

But could he really have had as much as 200 pages worth of "crude" material? Easily, especially if we include material slated for tWoW, which he may not have been considering in May. Remember, at the end of aDwD he is only just catching up to a bunch of material that he already wrote 8-9 years ago, before he had to put it aside and scrap the 5 year gap. Presumably, all that material did not go in the garbage. Presumably, it is still sitting around waiting to be revised.

His policy has been to only refer to completed chapters when giving updates. So I'd like to think he was staying true to this policy in April when he announced about 200 pages done.

Archived