New GRRM interview

Two Towers

I certainly am more suspicious about Jon's plan with Tormund after George's answer.

Actually I got the opposite, like the conversation with Tormund was just about their plans and we didn't hear it "first hand" because George wanted to give more drama to Jon's speech later.

edit: He said he didn't write the conversation because we were about to read it in a minute anyway (Jon's speech)

Here's what we know:

• 'A Feast for Crows' was intended to cover the material that was lost when Martin scrapped the five year gap, but it became too long.
  • Instead of naming the second half 'A Feast for Crows Volume II', he named it 'A Dance with Dragons', a title he had intended to use for the book that followed 'A Storm of Swords'.
  • Martin has confirmed that there will be a second dance of the dragons, which will be the subject of a book. We can infer from this that it was most likely intended to be included in the original 'A Dance with Dragons'.
  • As 'A Dance with Dragons' has now caught up with (or surpassed?) where the five year gap would have left us, we can assume that the second dance of the dragons will take place in 'The Winds of Winter'.
  • For a second dance of the dragons to take place, Daenerys and Aegon would both have to be in Westeros, meaning I doubt we'll be seeing Dany in Essos for longer than is necessary to tie up the loose ends.

All that is just a long-winded way of saying: yes, he plans to have Dany land in Westeros in the next book.

Lolol thanks for that. Him saying the two story lines will come together seems to be confirmation that either everyone moves to essos(lol) or dany n crew move to westeros next book. So I guess this can kind of end the threads of 'will dany reach westeros' and so forth.

"And is it going to be 7 books?

I’m hoping for 7, but I can’t promise anything. Seven is my aim, but I’ve learned how bad I am at estimating."

- This makes me almost certain we will see at least 8.

Don't tempt the fate. :angry2:

I'm sure we will see *only* 8 books.

It is. But can we actually trust it?

Either way its good to hear that 400 MS pages are written. I wish someone had asked him how much of that is new since Dance has been published and how much of it was brought over from Dance so we could better gauge how much new material he has actually written in the year+ since Dance was published.

I certainly am more suspicious about Jon's plan with Tormund after George's answer.

200 of those are from Dance I believe.

I don't follow your line of thought . . .

How does Howland's absence at the time of Lyanna's death relate to Jon's non-Targaryen looks?

How will anyone believe that Jon is Rhaegar's son?

Yes, there were Targaryens who didn't look like your typical Targaryens. Sigh. This argument again.

Which Targaryen was that? I'm only ask because I genuinely dunno any.

2014 sounds optimistic even by his own admission... 2015 should really be the best case scenario right now. Hope George isn't going the way of Robert Jordan.

and I love his sarcastic answer to the jaqen question... wish someone would have asked him if syrio = jaqen for maximum befuddlement. Also, I hope there's video of his answer to the faceless men question (re dragons) so we can see if there's some sarcasm in the answer because otherwise that's a huge plot exposition IMHO.

Actually I got the opposite, like the conversation with Tormund was just about their plans and we didn't hear it "first hand" because George wanted to give more drama to Jon's speech later.

edit: He said he didn't write the conversation because we were about to read it in a minute anyway (Jon's speech)

Right, but put simply I don't trust Martin's answers whenever he gives ones like "You surely are suspicious" sandwiched between laughs. Just seems like a way of saying "yeah, you're right to think that."

How will anyone believe that Jon is Rhaegar's son?

Which Targaryen was that? I'm only ask because I genuinely dunno any.

Other people have answered a moment after me. Sorry, if I sound too grumpy, but it's repeated over and over again in the R+L=J threads.

To the other thing: that it would be hard to prove inside the ASoIaF world, doesn't destroy the theory.

Did anyone thought the Jaqen answer was odd? I mean, exactly this question being the proof that one reads carefully? How did you guys read that?

My first impression was that he hadn't thought about it too much, the details of how Jaqen ended up in the cells that is, and it was a mystery to him as much as it is to us. So hard to tell with a transcript though. I'd love to see the interview. Is there video posted somewhere?

"Not yet"??? That's almost a confirmation that the faceless men will try and kill Danny's Dragons!!! I am in the camp that hopes that they send Arya to do the killing and Arya then kills Danny for calling her father a dog(Usurper's dogs)

Actually, no.

That's just a tactic authors and movie directors use to keep the fans guessing. It may or may not happen...

Right, but put simply I don't trust Martin's answers whenever he gives ones like "You surely are suspicious" sandwiched between laughs. Just seems like a way of saying "yeah, you're right to think that."

He was telling the interviewer she was too distrustful. Maybe I should have used that word instead. In my country at least, the word she used in Spanish could either mean suspicious or distrustful.

1) Does this confirm AA and TPTWP are the same thing?

2) Does not challenging the use of the term 'epilogue' mean that that chapter will be a non-POV character?

3) Did he actually give a date for Winds? Blimey. I assumed it would be radio-silence until release, but the 'lock myself away" part? Um......awesome!

That's the impression I got too from the "200 absolutely done" bit. But I was hoping for a lower number to make me feel better about his pacing.

If it helps, Martin actually didn't start writing WoW until the beginning of this year. So, he had 200 held over from Dance. He has another 200 completed but still being revised. So, he has managed to get those 200 since January. I still think 2014 is optimistic though but I hope I am proven wrong.

My first impression was that he hadn't thought about it too much, the details of how Jaqen ended up in the cells that is, and it was a mystery to him as much as it is to us. So hard to tell with a transcript though. I'd love to see the interview. Is there video posted somewhere?

That was my impression as well. It's crackpot and his reaction led me to think he had spent much time thinking about it because it isn't that important.

Thanks to all the translators, you're awesome! :cheers: Are there more to come?

Some very interesting questions - once again, hats off to the interviewers! Having TWOW come out in 2014 would be immense, I really hope he can manage it.

His was the first POV why not the last,it makes sense :dunno: whole circle and all that.

Bran was the first chapter and I agree he might well be the last chapter, but Will was the first pov in the AGoT prologue, so he might continue his normal pattern and give us a non-regular for the final epilogue.

Bran was the first chapter and I agree he might well be the last chapter, but Will was the first pov in the AGoT prologue, so he might continue his normal pattern and give us a non-regular for the final epilogue.

With Martin everything is possible.

Archived