Gun control II.

lupis42

Germany was effectively defeated by the USSR by December 1941, by the time America fought their first Germans December 1942, Stalingrad was lost.

By the time America even made it onto continental Europe-in Italy in September 43, Kursk was a crushing Soviet victory.

By the time America landed in Northwest France-the Soviets had smashed the eastern front completely open with Operation Bagration.

the Soviets fought 90% of the German land forces and defeated them

Yawn....

I missed that while earning my degree in Soviet Studies, I guess I should ask for my tuition money back.

Yes, if that course told you that the 'USA saved the world from fascism', you very definitely should. Mixalot explains it well, although

Germany was effectively defeated by the USSR by December 1941,

is a slight exaggeration. November 1942 is the more commonly-accepted answer. Or two and a half years before American soldiers set foot on Normandy beaches.

But probably not the right thread to semi-Godwinise.

Under that insane scenario, what do I do if someone kicks in my door at 2 AM and tries to harm me? Call 911 and wait 20 minutes for help to arrive? I suppose you'll say, "Oh well, too bad Lorien got killed, but that's less of a risk than the possibility that Lorien might shoot up a bowling alley, at some future date".

Obviously if criminals can get guns, citizens should be able to as well. If the government can effectively remove guns from society, however, you can get a bat, mace, stop doing things that make ppl want to kill you at 2 am, etc etc. And probably the likely hood of someone randomly trying to kill you ain't that high. I'll take my chances with that rather than potentially the next depressed crazy moran in possession of an automatic.

yeah facts they are boring stuff.

I suppose the industrial aid provided to the USSR played no role? How about keeping the Japanese busy in the Pacific allowing the USSR to fight a one front war? Selected facts are very boring.

Anyway this is off topic. Now if you could explain how gun prohibition will be more sucessful than the war on drugs or the past experiecne with alcohol prohibtion I am all ears.

Yes, if that course told you that the 'USA saved the world from fascism', you very definitely should. Mixalot explains it well, although

is a slight exaggeration. November 1942 is the more commonly-accepted answer. Or two and a half years before American soldiers set foot on Normandy beaches.

But probably not the right thread to semi-Godwinise.

The battle of Moscow was the effective turning point of the war. After that date the Germans were on the decline and the Soviets on the increase in relative strength. The Stalingrad campaign was just Kursk on steroids-the Germans with operational goals but without a strategic goal to defeat the Soviets. Moscow is where the war was won.

I'm curious to know, since the pro-gun lobby routinely uses "if responsible people had guns to defend themselves, the shooter would have been toast and this would never have happened" as an argument, how many times has this actually happened?

I don't seem to recall many news reports about gun massacres averted because someone shot down the gunman.

The Volokh Conspiracy has some examples here.

I suppose the industrial aid provided to the USSR played no role? How about keeping the Japanese busy in the Pacific allowing the USSR to fight a one front war? Selected facts are very boring.

Anyway this is off topic. Now if you could explain how gun prohibition will be more sucessful than the war on drugs or the past experiecne with alcohol prohibtion I am all ears.

Industrial aid to the USSR is vastly overrated, at best we provided some armor for tertiary fronts and some logistics help.

Japan had decided in September 41 not to attack northerly, the Soviets knew that and were able to move their siberian units west to save Moscow, so no our involvement with the Japanese did not save the Soviets, well except for the fact that we seemed weak in 40 and 41 encouraging the Japanese southern strategy

Under that insane scenario, what do I do if someone kicks in my door at 2 AM and tries to harm me? Call 911 and wait 20 minutes for help to arrive? I suppose you'll say, "Oh well, too bad Lorien got killed, but that's less of a risk than the possibility that Lorien might shoot up a bowling alley, at some future date".

If we have to endanger school children to make you feel safe in your home - I would say:

Buy a better door.

Buy an aluminum bat.

Make a room in your home a 'panic room' of sorts.

Industrial aid to the USSR is vastly overrated, at best we provided some armor for tertiary fronts and some logistics help.

Japan had decided in September 41 not to attack northerly, the Soviets knew that and were able to move their siberian units west to save Moscow, so no our involvement with the Japanese did not save the Soviets, well except for the fact that we seemed weak in 40 and 41 encouraging the Japanese southern strategy

Isn't this thread about gun control?

I envision a mutli year multi prongattack, similar to cigarettes eventually leading to the degunification of america. It will take a dramatic realignment of our national priorities, including dramatic reduction in our military industrial complex, a far more humbleforeign policy, concentration on education and not the military, orosecuting war criminals in our midst to begn with

So kinda curious. Those who are anti-gun-control, what is your solution for reducing these incidents? Cos all I'm seeing is "Welp. Nothing we can do. Carry on!" Even Robin's "round up the crazies" is more useful.

The question itself is rather odd though. "These kind of incidents" are a statistical aberration. More people die from falling off ladders every year than die in mass shootings. If the guy was a bus driver and had driven them all into a lake, we probably wouldn't have a thread, and you definitely wouldn't be asking the question.

I guess if you need an answer it's "shoot back if I happen to be present".

Seriously, look at Japan. That country has arguably more depressed rage filled young males per capita than we do yet we almost never hear of mass murders. They treat guns like the pague. This year alone we've had the Oakland college shootings, Colorado movie shootings, Wisconsin temple murders, Oregon mall, etc etc.

i own a gun...in fact i own more than one but i would happily surrender both of mine and forcibly take all of the guns in the us if i could bring back the 20 babies that died today...i haven't read this entire thread...but i know y'alls hearts go out to those parents that are crying tonight...gun control yeah i'm for it because no one should have to bury their child like this....tomorrow uncle tripp (aka the sniffer) is gunless...fuck it i will bury mine guns at sea...this is a dark day here.... :smoking:

The question itself is rather odd though. "These kind of incidents" are a statistical aberration. More people die from falling off ladders every year than die in mass shootings. If the guy was a bus driver and had driven them all into a lake, we probably wouldn't have a thread, and you definitely wouldn't be asking the question.

I guess if you need an answer it's "shoot back if I happen to be present".

Ladders and busses have legitimate uses. Hand guns and semi-auto weapons and large magazines do not. They exist solely for killing people. You can do target shooting with a BB gun.

Archived