What are the odds of Sansa and Tyrion ending up together?

Saci Targaryen

Tyrion's actions are undestandable - Understandable, not acceptable, mind - because, well, he was raised by Tywin Lannister. Jon Snow was raised by Eddard Stark. Jon Snow had Robb, Brandon, Theon, Donal Noye, Jeor Mormont, Ygritte. Tyrion had... Bronn? Oh, and Tysha! Oh, wait...

Any comparison between Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister is null and void of any meaning. /Hyperbole, for the uninitiated.

Exactly.

And my point about storylines is that Tyrion starts off totally under Tywin's thumb, and much of his storyline (prior to DwD) is him learning to be his own person and to say "no" (rather forcefully) to his family. He wasn't there yet when he was told to marry Sansa.

And, by the way, I'm not whitewashing anything. Saying that he was coerced into marrying Sansa is not the same as saying that he's some amazing dude who poops rainbows. It's simply an acknowledgement of the fact that he was not as free an agent as you are trying to paint him in that particular instance.

I'd also like to add that part of his rationale for accepting is that it would have placed her legally under his protection, so that Cersei & co couldn't hurt her so much. But that gets ignored, I suppose.

I disagree. They have nothing in common. I'd challenge you to name one thing Tyrion and Sansa has in common that isn't something like "dislikes Cersei", but a personality trait, interest, views on life, etc.

This is ASOIAF. We're a bit passed reducing characters to their likes and dislikes. But since you ask, both have an awareness of honour and a nagging conscience without being defined by it in the way that characters like Ned, Jon, or Robb are. Both are suited to court life. And, as I mentioned earlier, both have enough kindness in them to treat each other well (provided that they stop hating each other).

Lemoncakes is on the road to be the same old female protagonist that is so common in modern young adult literature. Weak, submissive, and in need of a male savior. If she manages not to end up that way, she's been salvaged.

i think she will for sure.

So my question is this: Isn't Tyrion still married to Tysha? Because, with the exception of the Targaryens, everyone in Westeros seems against polygamy. And until we find out where whores go, Tysha is still Tyrion's wife (gang-rape doesn't equal annulment). So with or without consummation, Tyrion and Sansa's marriage isn't real. At least that is my understanding...Thoughts?

See, that's the problem. You can't really see Sansa's marriage to Tyrion as any thing other than "wish-fulfillment for people who can'r grasp Sansa's character". You're as bad as those who call Sansa shallow, but the other way around.

That's ludicrous. People who want Tyrion/Sansa together have totally ignored Sansa's character development and carved out this bizarre notion about her shallowness just to serve her as some reward for poor little woobie Tyrion. There has been very little to suggest otherwise apart from half cooked notions of some 'benefit' of somehow having the Lannisters and Starks make peace with each other.

Or not. Say, if annulment is offered and Sansa, for whatever reason, chooses to remain married, on conditional premises such as "our children shall be Starks", there could be a development in tha particular theme as well. Still, it is a theme. That's why I said ~60%. It's far from being a perfect fit.

What do you mean with "Or not"? Do you disagree with Sansa's quest for agency being a major theme in her arc? Why would she choose to stay married to Tyrion should she get the option to get out of it? Their children also would not be Starks, they would be Lannisters. I don't see this "development within a theme" unless you want to discard Sansa's quest for agency. What development are you referring to?

Remaining married to someone who was forced on you can never mesh with getting agency in my eyes. Could you care explaining how it, in your eyes, could since I really am not sure how that could work.

He would want Sansa for partnership, perhaps? Someone he can trust, that can do things he himself can't? Someone he can confide? The person he sorely missed on his time as Hand of the King? There's no trust and respect yet, no, but it could develop. And as for the fact that they're in two different continente right now, that, along with Dany's journey, the aftermath of the War of the Five Kings and the mysteries about the past are the entire reason I don't believe Geroge can finish this tale in two books.

This is extremely one sided and focused only on Tyrion. Why would Sansa be happy with it? What would she get out of it? What could Tyrion offer her?

Redemption. Had we not seen the Quiet Isle, I would be more willing to concede Sandor could re-appear. As it is. his story seems, largely, told. For a non-PoV character, that is. Sandor was a tragic character - desperate for revenge, but wouldn't reach for it (The Tourney of the Hand), mocking of the ideals of chivalry and yet somewhat fascinated with them. Desiring of beauty but unable to take it. His journey with Arya read as a swan's song, to me, and the later part of the Quiet Isle drove the nail in the coffin. I might be wrong, Sandor might be coming back, but the conflict is gone. And you can't tell a good story without conflict.

GRRM has stated several times he believes in the human heart in conflict and in choices, not good and evil. Hence "redemption" through religion seems like a rather odd thing to add, not to mention people's misunderstanding of how Sandor needs to fight Gregor, when the "redemption" he really needed was to get rid of his obsession with his brother. You may also note that he looms large over the story in both AFFC and even occasionally in ADWD despite not even making an appearance. For a "dead" character we certainly are reminded of him an awful lot. In fact, it almost is as if it is by intent that we're not supposed to forget about him.

Well, I've got around this fandom around 2010, really. Registered in this boards after lurking one good year, perhaps more. So I can't really talk about the bygone this. Suffice to say, from what I've seen here, on reddit, live-journal, and many, many more, I'd be willing to watch the city burn.

So to speak.

If you want something controversial, try supporting Dany/Jon.

i think she will for sure.

I wish I could be that confident. The "evidence" ("She's learning Littlefinger's game!" or "Look how she defies her father and the Lannisters at her wedding!" or other such nonsense) just isn't in sufficient supply for me to have faith in it. The first example was wishful thinking; the second is exaggerated in meaning. With at least two more books to go, I won't say there's no chance, but the actually empowerment arc has yet to begin in earnest.

So my question is this: Isn't Tyrion still married to Tysha? Because, with the exception of the Targaryens, everyone in Westeros seems against polygamy. And until we find out where whores go, Tysha is still Tyrion's wife (gang-rape doesn't equal annulment). So with or without consummation, Tyrion and Sansa's marriage isn't real. At least that is my understanding...Thoughts?

Tywin make sure the marriage was annuled, he wouldn't let Tysha go if there would be a chance that she is still married to Tyrion

We have no evidence of Tywin getting an annulment, no. We know he "drove off" Tysha. The annulment by the High Septon is never mentioned, neither does anyone else mention Tywin dragging it in front of the High Septon. Tyrion doesn't mention it himself either, and as a marriage can only be annulled with at last one part in front of the High Septon....one has to wonder.

I wish I could be that confident. The "evidence" ("She's learning Littlefinger's game!" or "Look how she defies her father and the Lannisters at her wedding!" or other such nonsense) just isn't in sufficient supply for me to have faith in it. The first example was wishful thinking; the second is exaggerated in meaning. With at least two more books to go, I won't say there's no chance, but the actually empowerment arc has yet to begin in earnest.

It's fairly obvious that it is there for the careful reader. Look in AFFC what she thinks about the wedding to HtH, or even earlier in ASOS when she is going to Lysa to tell her she will not accept Sweetrobin as her husband. Sansa thinks the worst Lysa can do is banish her and she'd rather have that than Sweetrobin.

Agency? Yep.

Tyrion is also 24 and Jon what, 15? Yet Jon manages to make the right decision under pressure and Tyrion does not. Should this completely be laid at Tywin's and Ned's feet? I don't contend that Ned was the better role model, but compare Dany, who had mostly Viserys Targaryen, yet for her dithering she thinks a Meereeneese version of the Red Wedding is beneath her, she has terrible doubts about her dragons etc. and her role models were mostly dreadful, and she is much younger than Tyrion, yet strives, even when doing it wrong, to be moral.

When it comes to role models, I am not sure you can do worse than Viserys. Sure, for a limited time Dany had Jorah, but even he is...doubtful. Plus he was not really around during Dany's formative years.

Emotionally, Tyrion is around 9, really. And again, Jon makes the right decision because he has been taught to make the right decision. Take 13-year-old Tyrion from Tywin and hand him to Eddard Stark to raise and you'll have a paragon of virtue by the time aGoT rolls in.

Dany had also Ser Willem Darry, among other IIRC, to help her, and even then her morality is heavily skewed. She is moral in that she doesn't approves of slavery and rape (Apparently), but that was born out of her own suffering under similar circumstances. And that's how Tyrion roll as well. Dany's sympathy for slaves and forced wives is Tyrion's sympathy for cripples, bastards and broken things. They're the same. They see people where they once were, and, seeing themselves reflected, try to lessen the impact.

And fail spectacularly at that.

While advisors and role models certainly have a big impact, consider how much flak and outrage Dany gets for the deeds she gets wrong, even if she wants to do the right thing. Tyrion here knowingly doesn't do the right thing, is my point. That is not to say he didn't have reasons for what he did, it's just that they weren't morally upstanding ones.

They don't "have a large impact". They make all the difference. Take the Jon Snow who arrived at the Wall in aGoT. No Jeor Mormont, no Donal Noye, no Halfhand, no Ygritte. No trial by fire, or rather, ice. He would've taken Winterfell. I have no doubt. Winterfell, Val, and the name Stark. Tyrion has a very skewed worldvision and it shows. Tyrion is emotionally immature and it shows. This is not proof, tought, that he's an irredeemable ass.

Can we continue this tomorrow? It's been too much for today, to me, at least.

We have no evidence of Tywin getting an annulment, no. We know he "drove off" Tysha. The annulment by the High Septon is never mentioned, neither does anyone else mention Tywin dragging it in front of the High Septon. Tyrion doesn't mention it himself either, and as a marriage can only be annulled with at last one part in front of the High Septon....one has to wonder.

IMO there was no need for an annulment by the high septon, Tyrion was underage and married without the permission of his legal guardian, Tysha was a commener so the marriage was a misalliance and the septon was drunk, so it is most likely that the marriage never was valid. Do anyone think Tywin would let his son stay married to a commener, he would rather kill her than just send her of

This is ASOIAF. We're a bit passed reducing characters to their likes and dislikes. But since you ask, both have an awareness of honour and a nagging conscience without being defined by it in the way that characters like Ned, Jon, or Robb are. Both are suited to court life. And, as I mentioned earlier, both have enough kindness in them to treat each other well (provided that they stop hating each other).

They don't hate each other, well Sansa doesn't hate Tyrion at least; his feelings for her aren't so clear after ADWD. However, the issue is that they aren't compatible in any way. Lots of people have an awareness of honour, and they still wouldn't work as a couple. As for the "suited to court life" argument, how is that even a factor pray tell? Is Sansa supposed to choose her husbands because they fit well at court, not to mention that she longs to return to the North?

So if you are arguing here that Tyrion objects and has these doubts, what makes him marry Sansa anyway? Is it the threat of Lollys?

Rather the fact that he wasn't used to openly defy Tywin. I don't think that he'd ever done it before the scene in the privy.

Let me reverse this question, however: if Tyrion wasn't against this marriage, why didn't he simply say "a splendid idea, Father", instead of voicing different arguments against?

Would Jon Snow or Eddard Stark gone through with the marriage given the same circumstances with a 13 year old hostage? If not, why not?

If ordered by his lord father (to make the situations parallel)? Dunno. Ned married Catelyn for her father's swords. It was widely accepted as truth that he'd kill Theon Greyjoy (a hostage taken at the age of ten, if I recall), if Balon stepped out of line. So if marrying for business wasn't out of question, and killing a hostage (at the beginning a young boy) wasn't out of question, I'm not certain that a forced marriage was.

As for Jon Snow, he said the words and they seem to be his moral compass, so no, he wouldn't marry. A hostage or not.

I doubt that Tyrion will exhibit the desire or capacity to go hunting for Sansa and trying to get her to return to him. He seems to be devising some quite different ideas of what to do since his escape to Essos. He seems more concerned with other women and with claiming Casterly Rock and exploiting a future chance to claim the land he considers his by rights. Focusing on Sansa would be a life-risking distraction from other tasks that he actually places a priority on.

Sansa shows no inclination toward wanting to reunite with him or even hoping he will resurface. If he comes back to Westeros, it does not seem likely that she will have any interest in encountering him again.

If Jaime is still alive when Tyrion returns, he will probably be more interested in his fate than Sansa's.

I doubt that Tyrion will exhibit the desire or capacity to go hunting for Sansa and trying to get her to return to him. He seems to be devising some quite different ideas of what to do since his escape to Essos. He seems more concerned with other women and with claiming Casterly Rock and exploiting a future chance to claim the land he considers his by rights. Focusing on Sansa would be a life-risking distraction from other tasks that he actually places a priority on.

Sansa shows no inclination toward wanting to reunite with him or even hoping he will resurface. If he comes back to Westeros, it does not seem likely that she will have any interest in encountering him again.

If Jaime is still alive when Tyrion returns, he will probably be more interested in his fate than Sansa's.

IMO he doesn't hace to search her, Dany will invade the vale and there they will meet

Emotionally, Tyrion is around 9, really. And again, Jon makes the right decision because he has been taught to make the right decision. Take 13-year-old Tyrion from Tywin and hand him to Eddard Stark to raise and you'll have a paragon of virtue by the time aGoT rolls in.

I think you are doing Tyrion a disservice by describing him as having the emotional maturity of a nine year old. May I also add here that Theon was raised by Eddard Stark too, and he is not a paragon of virtue. So that's where it sort of falls down. We already have an example of where the Ned's magic touch doesn't help.

Dany had also Ser Willem Darry, among other IIRC, to help her, and even then her morality is heavily skewed. She is moral in that she doesn't approves of slavery and rape (Apparently), but that was born out of her own suffering under similar circumstances. And that's how Tyrion roll as well. Dany's sympathy for slaves and forced wives is Tyrion's sympathy for cripples, bastards and broken things. They're the same. They see people where they once were, and, seeing themselves reflected, try to lessen the impact.

An Ser Willem Darry did what before he died? Maybe he acted a bit like Barristan and we saw how great a help he was, no? It's also a great oversimplification that Dany only sympathises with people when she herself has felt the same thing. She sympathises greatly with the unsullied who died in a whore's arms when he only went there for someone to hold him. "The dragon does not weep". She has great sympathy for the starving, although she tries to harden herself against it.

And fail spectacularly at that.

At empathy? I don't think so. Dany has buckets of it. She always tries to do the right thing. She doesn't always succeed, but she always believes that she should follow the moral path, and when she is forced by circumstances not to (like when she has to shut Meereen's gates to the Astapori) she is extremely affected by it. Compare to Tyrion's view that she is a newbiew at sieges since she didn't poison the wells. He doesn't spare a thought for all the innocents who would die as collateral damage.

They don't "have a large impact". They make all the difference. Take the Jon Snow who arrived at the Wall in aGoT. No Jeor Mormont, no Donal Noye, no Halfhand, no Ygritte. No trial by fire, or rather, ice. He would've taken Winterfell. I have no doubt. Winterfell, Val, and the name Stark. Tyrion has a very skewed worldvision and it shows. Tyrion is emotionally immature and it shows. This is not proof, tought, that he's an irredeemable ass.

Can we continue this tomorrow? It's been too much for today, to me, at least.

That does not explain Theon though, who was raised by the golden touch of Neddard and still ended up being affected by Balon and greedily reaching for Winterfell. The Ned's presence in his life was no guarantee for goodness.

Rather the fact that he wasn't used to openly defy Tywin. I don't think that he'd ever done it before the scene in the privy.

Let me reverse this question, however: if Tyrion wasn't against this marriage, why didn't he simply say "a splendid idea, Father", instead of voicing different arguments against?

So that he was not used to defying Tywin means that it was ok for him to marry an underage hostage? Does it put his objections and suffering on the same level as Sansa's?

If ordered by his lord father (to make the situations parallel)? Dunno. Ned married Catelyn for her father's swords. It was widely accepted as truth that he'd kill Theon Greyjoy (a hostage taken at the age of ten, if I recall), if Balon stepped out of line. So if marrying for business wasn't out of question, and killing a hostage (at the beginning a young boy) wasn't out of question, I'm not certain that a forced marriage was.

As for Jon Snow, he said the words and they seem to be his moral compass, so no, he wouldn't marry. A hostage or not.

You misunderstand me. Had Ned or Jon been in Tyrion's exact position, would they have done the same?

You also misunderstand why Ned married Cat, he did so because Brandon was dead and the betrothal went over to him from his elder brother. Lysa got married to Jon Arrryn so Riverrun would ally with him. See Cat's chapters on when she figures out how Hoster aborted Lysa's child by LF. She states it clearly there.

That's ludicrous. People who want Tyrion/Sansa together have totally ignored Sansa's character development and carved out this bizarre notion about her shallowness just to serve her as some reward for poor little woobie Tyrion. There has been very little to suggest otherwise apart from half cooked notions of some 'benefit' of somehow having the Lannisters and Starks make peace with each other.

Thanks for proving my point.

What do you mean with "Or not"?

You said staying married to Tyrion would go against this theme. I said, perhaps, it wouldn't.

Do you disagree with Sansa's quest for agency being a major theme in her arc?

No.

Why would she choose to stay married to Tyrion should she get the option to get out of it?

I don't know. Avoiding further troubles by having to marry again, perhaps. Desire to bind the whole of Westeros through alliances and shared blood. Whatever. My point is that staying married to Tyrion doesn't annul her "Agency" theme.

Their children also would not be Starks, they would be Lannisters.

That's why I mentioned the conditionals - Such a negotiation could be Sansa asserting herself. And such a negotiation would be possible - Lancel's children, for example, would've been Darry. Orys, Aegon the COnqueror's bastard brother, became a Baratheon for his wife, not the other way around. It's rare, but it happens.

I don't see this "development within a theme" unless you want to discard Sansa's quest for agency.

Well, I can't really help you with that.

What development are you referring to?

I was referring to the development of her "Agency" theme. It could develop on a way it allowed them to remain married. And it could develop in a way that demanded a divorve. This later way is one of the reason I say it's a ~60% chance. The ~40% chance of them ending up separately is because I took things like this into account - Maybe she would choose not to, and her story could develop independently form then forward. But they have to reach some closure, they have to interact. Sansa won't simply raise her shoulders and marry whomever without going throught Tyrion first. Similarly, Tyrion won't simply be free of Sansa just because he wants to.

Remaining married to someone who was forced on you can never mesh with getting agency in my eyes. Could you care explaining how it, in your eyes, could since I really am not sure how that could work.

I already did. I can't force you to see the tale through my eyes, and if you can't really conciliate "remaining married" with "agency", then, unfortunately, we can't go on on this particular venue. I do, however, can conciliate.

This is extremely one sided and focused only on Tyrion.

You did ask, and I quote: What would he want Sansa for in that context? I'm answering you.

Why would Sansa be happy with it? What would she get out of it? What could Tyrion offer her?

She may come to enjoy the game. She may want to play in such a way that it would be more advantageous, to her, to have Casterly Rock, as well as influence in Winterfell, Riverrrun and the Eyrie. She may be comfortable with a husband she remembers as not forcing his hand on her. She may be comfortable with a husband she knows she can manipulate with affection. She may want to get out of the "marriage market" once and for all. There are many possibilities.

GRRM has stated several times he believes in the human heart in conflict and in choices, not good and evil. Hence "redemption" through religion seems like a rather odd thing to add, not to mention people's misunderstanding of how Sandor needs to fight Gregor, when the "redemption" he really needed was to get rid of his obsession with his brother. You may also note that he looms large over the story in both AFFC and even occasionally in ADWD despite not even making an appearance. For a "dead" character we certainly are reminded of him an awful lot. In fact, it almost is as if it is by intent that we're not supposed to forget about him.

Well, again we come to a difference. I don't see it as "redemption through religion", I see it as Sandor finally willing to let go of rage, in which religion is the backdrop, the scenario. And I don't think he "looms large". In AFfC, we got the closure of his tale through other's eyes. In ADwD, he seems largely limited to Sansa's reminiscences. You could say this is foreshadowing of his return, but you would also have to accept that Tysha and Gerion will be back as well, based on this particular reasoning.

If you want something controversial, try supporting Dany/Jon.

Ew, no. I have standards. :P

Now I'm really going. See you.

EDIT: Typos

I think you are doing Tyrion a disservice by describing him as having the emotional maturity of a nine year old. May I also add here that Theon was raised by Eddard Stark too, and he is not a paragon of virtue. So that's where it sort of falls down. We already have an example of where the Ned's magic touch doesn't help.

No, it does not do him a disservice. It is a fairly accurate statement, and none of his family has been support enough for him to progress emotionally. Theon is not a fair case, since Ned intentionally was distant to the boy that he might someday have to execute.

An Ser Willem Darry did what before he died? Maybe he acted a bit like Barristan and we saw how great a help he was, no? It's also a great oversimplification that Dany only sympathises with people when she herself has felt the same thing. She sympathises greatly with the unsullied who died in a whore's arms when he only went there for someone to hold him. "The dragon does not weep". She has great sympathy for the starving, although she tries to harden herself against it.

She ignores her good counsel (Darry, Selmy) and listens to the bad (Viserys, Jorah, Green Grace, Daario, et al.) So your first point here is really a handwave. Has Daenerys never felt alone? Has she never starved? Yes, she has done both. The point stands.

At empathy? I don't think so. Dany has buckets of it. She always tries to do the right thing. She doesn't always succeed, but she always believes that she should follow the moral path, and when she is forced by circumstances not to (like when she has to shut Meereen's gates to the Astapori) she is extremely affected by it. Compare to Tyrion's view that she is a newbiew at sieges since she didn't poison the wells. He doesn't spare a thought for all the innocents who would die as collateral damage.

"She always does the right thing." Reneging on deals and inviting a plague into her city are definitely moral actions. And is a protracted siege that starves out your own city really better than one that is difficult to maintain due to lack of a water supply?

That does not explain Theon though, who was raised by the golden touch of Neddard and still ended up being affected by Balon and greedily reaching for Winterfell. The Ned's presence in his life was no guarantee for goodness.

Already addressed.

So that he was not used to defying Tywin means that it was ok for him to marry an underage hostage? Does it put his objections and suffering on the same level as Sansa's?

What do you think I meant by "Not exactly as her, no. In the end, he had a choice, while Sansa did not"?

You misunderstand me. Had Ned or Jon been in Tyrion's exact position, would they have done the same?

Then I have no way of knowing that. Jon Snow I know spent the last five books as a brother from the Night's Watch. Take that away and substitute with something entirely different, and we get a different person - and I don't know how that man would act.

You did ask, and I quote: What would he want Sansa for in that context? I'm answering you.

She may come to enjoy the game. She may want to play in such a way that it would be more advantageous, to her, to have Casterly Rock, as well as incluence in Winterfell, Riverrrun and the Eyrie. She may be comfortable with a husband she remembers as not forcing his hand on her. She may be comfortable with a husband she knows she can manipulate with affection. She may want to get out of the "marriage market" once and for all. There are many possibilities.

Where in Sansa's character do you find this wish for her to be ambitious and successful as a LF style politician? As a major Sansa afficionado, I can see her manipulating people to save herself and her family, but not for the sake of it. She enjoys figuring things out, but she does not have LF's type of ambition. Not at all. Her focus is totally different.

Why would a girl who wishes to be loved for herself (in fact she strongly laments this in AFFC) want to be "out of the marriage market" for good and settle on a man she does not love and who definitely did not love her for herself? You claim that staying married to Tyrion would be something that can work hand in hand with Sansa's quest for agency, but how does it mesh here? It is stated clearly she really really wishes to be loved for herself, without her claim or her rank involved and clearly those two things were very much involved with her marriage to Tyrion. In fact, they were the main two reasons he married her at all.

Well, again we come to a difference. I don't see it as "redemption through religion", I see it as Sandor finally willing to let go of rage, in which religion is the backdrop, the scenario. And I don't think he "looms large". In AFfC, we got the closure of his tale through other's eyes. In ADwD, he seems largely limited to Sansa's reminiscences. You could say this is foreshadowing of his return, but you would also have to accept that Tysha and Gerion will be back as well, based on this particular reasoning.

Sansa does not have chapters in ADWD. In AFFC he is mentioned in Cersei's, Jaime's, Brienne's and Sansa's chatpers. In ADWD he is mentioned in Cersei's, Jaime's and Dany's (!!) chapters. Arya thinks of him as well, but I am unsure whether it is ADWD or AFFC.

He is also mentioned in every single one of Sansa's chapters barring one in AGOT.

Now I'm really going. See you.

I am going to do the same I think. :) Laters.

Archived