Could Robert Barantheon have defeated Arthur Dayne?

Pope Killdragon

Both of them great warriors, as acknowledged by Ned, Jaime, Barristan, and others. The wild card is the difference in fighting styles, which many previous posters have noted; Arthur Dayne was your classic swordsman, while Robert preferred the warhammer. In a Trident-style situation (both men on horseback, the chaos of the battle swirling around them), I'd give the edge to Robert. In a more one-on-one situation (more reminiscent of the Tower of Joy or Jaime vs. Ned in the TV series), I give the edge to Dayne.

Of course, anything can happen. While reading the thread, I was reminded often of what Barristan told Daenerys regarding fights: the slightest thing can make all the difference, and that slight thing can by anything. One day Arthur Dayne comes out and immediately finds a weak spot in Robert's armor; the next, Dayne's chest gets crushed by the warhammer. All in all, I think if these two fought ten times, they'd split the series.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne , the sword of the morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with his right

Robert wouldn't stand a chance. He'd raise his warhammer and get gutted like a fish by Dawn.

I dont believe this.. Jamie was just boasting... Robert has a fair fighting chance i think.

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure Dayne would win Robert.

He was mentioned several times as finest knight of this time. Even Ned himself said Dayne would have killed him if it wasn't for Howlan Reed.

My theory of how Reed saved Ned is that Reed used a net during the fight.

In one of Bran's chapters, when he plays with Meera and Jojen in the godswood, Meera plays a hunting game trying to catch Summer.

When Summer attacked Meera, she trapped him in a net and won the game. Tangled, Summer was hopeless. Bran was astonished.

I think later Meera tells him that a net is a deadly weapon if used well, and any beast can be defeated by it (or something like that)

So, if this net trick was the only way to defeat Dayne (who was also outnumbered), then Robert would have been no more than another outlaw to be killed by him (just like the Smiling Knight, who Dayne allowed to fight him twice before killing him, just for fun)

Well, anyone can be killed.

I'd give Robert the edge, all it takes is 1 hit from that hammer and the whole fight is in your favor. It is also harder to cut through plate in real life and the series, unlike many other fantasies where armor seems to be made of cardboard.

I'm pretty sure Dayne would win Robert.

He was mentioned several times as finest knight of this time. Even Ned himself said Dayne would have killed him if it wasn't for Howlan Reed.

My theory of how Reed saved Ned is that Reed used a net during the fight.

In one of Bran's chapters, when he plays with Meera and Jojen in the godswood, Meera plays a hunting game trying to catch Summer.

When Summer attacked Meera, she trapped him in a net and won the game. Tangled, Summer was hopeless. Bran was astonished.

I think later Meera tells him that a net is a deadly weapon if used well, and any beast can be defeated by it (or something like that)

So, if this net trick was the only way to defeat Dayne (who was also outnumbered), then Robert would have been no more than another outlaw to be killed by him (just like the Smiling Knight, who Dayne allowed to fight him twice before killing him, just for fun)

]

Yeah Jaime says that the Smiling Knight was the Gregor Clegane of that time, being that everyone wanted to try and best him in battle. Dayne literally broke the dude's sword twice and allowed him to get another before slaying him

GRRM literally says Dayne is the greatest fighter/swordsman in over a 1000 years and that with Dawn he would beat Selmy almost every time.

Sure Jaime has a hero's worship for Dayne but he truly believes that he could beat Robert with "speed and skill"

We don't know how the fight between Rhaegar, of whome is said he was above average, and Bob B went. For all we know Rhaegar was already wounded or winded or lost his footing or whatever, opening up an opportunity for him to become the Prince who was Pummeled.

The same thing could've happened to the Sword of the Morning.

It's like with football (soccer for Americans). Barcelona wins 9 out of 10 matches against nearly any team in the world, but there is always that one time they can draw or loose if something goes wrong for them or are particulairly unlucky.

Ol' Bob was no slowpoke or whimp, and good enough to use opportunities if Ser Arthur slipped up for whatever reason, so yes Bob could've beaten Ser Arthur.

“Be that as it may. My father sat where I sit now when Lord Eddard came to Sisterton. Our maester urged us to send Stark’s head to Aerys, to prove our loyalty. It would have meant a rich reward. The Mad King was open-handed with them as pleased him. By then we knew that Jon Arryn had taken Gulltown, though. Robert was the first man to gain the wall, and slew Marq Grafton with his own hand. ‘This Baratheon is fearless,’ I said. ‘He fights the way a king should fight.’

Likewise with Edric Storm talking about how Robert went out and crushed the Stormlords that were conspiring against him, or how during the Battle of the Bells he turned the tide by killing Myles Moorton. Robert had a reputation for tearing through a battlefield and smashing down lords, knights, and princes. Had Dayne ever even fought in a war? He was renown for swordplay, jousting, and hunting down Robin Hood's merry band.

I'm going with the Robert of the rebellion. The man had all the strengths of Gregor Clegane, and none of his weaknesses, like a stronger Sandor basically. He didn't have the personality or some of the skills that one would associate with a chivalrous paragon like Dayne, but he did have the ability to kill things, and he did. He killed knights (and not just the smiling kind), and lords, and turned himself into the heart of the rebellion through little more than inspiring acts and personal charisma after losing his army at Ashford (to Randyll Tarly, another person with a reputation for no-nonsense warfare).

Robert's got the record. Dayne's legendary, but so is the Robert of the rebellion, he just has more to back it up beyond being 'the perfect knight'. We know that Valyrian steel can't outright pierce normal steel, as while Dayne dinged up the Smiling Knight's sword, it not only took time, but he couldn't outright destroy it, and there's a lot more momentum and force when swords clash than blades on armor. A warhammer on the other hand? If it hits, there's going to be damage no matter where it lands. Dayne isn't going to pull an Oberyn, where he uses fancy footwork and superior reach to poke away.

Dayne's most impressive battle, against Ned and his companions? We'll never know just what happened until its revealed, except that Howland Reed saved Ned's life from Dayne (did Ned ever even 'think' that to himself? We know he lied about other aspects of what occured). Pretty inconclusive.

I think Barristan would defeat Robert, but we've been in his head. We know he is efficient and willing to use any strategy to win. Khrazz calls him dishonorable for wearing armor, but Barristan doesn't care. He suggests using a spear against the bull at the arena, despite others saying that would be easy. Barristan has shown himself to be very adaptable, calm, and clinical in combat. He wouldn't be taken aback by Robert's fury. He would use Robert's weaknesses against him and wait for his moment. Barristan has an impressive single combat kill list in different types of environment: Maelys the Monstrous, Ser Symon Hollard, Simon Toyne, Mero (with a stick), Khrazz.

Dayne, on the other hand, we know little about. He is described as being one of best knights of his time. I think it is safe to say he is superior to Rhaegar, who was very inexperienced. If I'm not mistaken, Rhaegar managed to wound Robert; I think Dayne would at least be able to do likewise. But, in Westeros, being a great True Knight, as Dayne is described, isn't just about combat, he was considered very chivalrous. During his fight with the Smiling Knight, he let his opponent get a second sword when his broke. I wouldn't want to let Robert get a second war hammer. That honor could get him in trouble against someone like Robert; it only takes one swing.

Archived