Jon Snow is Azor Ahai (the text proofs)

Jon's Queen Consort

Is there anything wrong with what they have said about Dany?

No, except that she might be too obvious, too early. Not that I'd eliminate her, mind you. I'm open to several possibilities. I just don't think she's a foregone conclusion yet. GRRM seems far too calculating to reveal his hand so early.

It's also worth considering that she is AAR, but that the champion of fire isn't a champion of Westeros.

From Sansa, in Game of Thrones:

Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head. But a voice inside her whispered, There are no heroes, and she remembered what Lord Petyr had said to her, here in this very hall. “Life is not a song, sweetling,” he’d told her. “You may learn that one day to your sorrow.” In life, the monsters win, she told herself, and now it was the Hound’s voice she heard, a cold rasp, metal on stone. “Save yourself some pain, girl, and give him what he wants.”

Meaningful? A red herring? Jon certainly granted Sansa her wish. . . . . .

Daenerys Targaryen is Azor Ahai:

Far and away the most likely candidate for Azor Ahai, Dany fits all the requirements. She awoke the dragons out of her petrified stone eggs, on the very night she spotted the comet for the first time. (GoT, pg. 804). That night, there was smoke from the funeral pyre and salt from Dany’s tears. And she was ‘reborn’ in the sense that she emerged from the fire a stronger person--a leader whom the Dothraki would follow.

But how does Dany’s story match up with Salladhor’s? Well, one suggestion has been that her dragons are actually Lightbringer, because they can produce fire. This makes a great amount of sense. Like Azor Ahai, Dany tried three times to make her weapon--once while putting them on a brazier (GoT, pg. 593), once while coming out of her fevered nightmares (GoT, pg. 753-754), and finally succeeding on the third try at Drogo’s pyre. Also, like Azor Ahai, Dany sacrificed her spouse to make her weapon, and drew the weapon out of a fire.

Other people merely think that Lightbringer is still a sword, and perhaps Dany will find it elsewhere, maybne in Asshai or far east.

But the fact remains that, of all the candidates, Dany is the only one who has woken dragons out of stone. Unless another character is going to accomplish the same thing, Dany seems like a safe bet to be Azor Ahai reborn.

Taken from another website. http://www.angelfire...q/azorahai.html

Dany definitely fits the requirements, I completely agree. She may also be a red herring to a certain extent.

Is it possible that there are 2 characters who simultaneously fulfill the prophesy?

Jon being AAR also makes a lot of sense, and let me add to the OP the following:

• Jon may very well have Targaryean blood, and there is a possibility that he will be a dragon rider.
  • Jon's prophetic dreams about the crypts of Winterfell foreshadow him finding something extremely important there. It is possible that one of the greatest mysteries in aSoIaF (the identity of Jon's parents) will be solved there, likely in Lyanna's tomb, where Jon will find that he is a dragon: a dragon awaking out of of stone could simply mean a Targaryean being discovered from a stone tomb.

No, except that she might be too obvious, too early. Not that I'd eliminate her, mind you. I'm open to several possibilities. I just don't think she's a foregone conclusion yet. GRRM seems far too calculating to reveal his hand so early.

It's also worth considering that she is AAR, but that the champion of fire isn't a champion of Westeros.

Maybe that's what he likes people to think? Everyone expects GRRM's writings to be full of mystery, after all.

“Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you. Remember that, Sansa, when you come to play the game.”

“What . . . what game?”

“The only game. The game of thrones.”

-(Littlefinger)”

Anyway, I don't think GRRM has made it way too obvious. I mean, there is Jon Snow and his dream holding a flaming sword, and then there is Stannis.

It seems questionable that the new "Lightbringer" would need to be a red sword at all. A single enchanted sword can only achieve so much on the field; a non-literal "sword" would open the possibility of something more potent. Whatever it is seems likely to involve fire, given the premises of the myth.

The books seem to go to great lengths to draw parallels between the three dragons and the original Lightbringer. Besides the Nissa Nissa similarity, the three forging attempts, and their origin in a ring of fire, the following also reinforce the parallels:

Jon reads this in the Jade Compendium:

“Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame.”

This is extremely similar, nearly identical in the bolded parts, to what happened when Drogon killed a slaver with dragonfire:

“’Drogon,’ she sang out loudly, sweetly, all her fear forgotten. ‘Dracarys.’

A lance of swirling dark flame took Kraznys full in the face. His eyes melted and ran down his cheeks, and the oil in his hair and beard burst so fiercely into fire that for an instant the slaver wore a burning crown twice as tall as his head.”

Comparison of Dragons to flaming swords:

Xaro Xhoan Daxos, in ADWD, states:

“When your dragons were small they were a wonder. Grown, they are death and devastation, a flaming sword above the world.”

Here is an expression of the Idea that a dragon would be a more useful weapon than an enchanted sword (even if you factor out the fakeness of Stannis's sword, the statement is true):

Stannis Baratheon says in ASOS:

“It glimmers prettily, I’ll grant you, but on the Blackwater this magic sword served me no better than common steel. A dragon would have turned that battle. Aegon once stood here as I do, looking down on this table. Do you think we would name him Aegon the Conqueror today if he had not had dragons?”

You brought an interesting topic about dragons being the Lightbringer. I dunno about others, but GRRM seems to "hint" that dragons will play a significant role against the Others in this interview. Well, at least to me, he does:

Shaw: Is there a certain reason why they named obsidian "dragonglass" or why you did that?

Martin: Yes, there is a reason.

Shaw: Are dragons somehow the mortal enemy of the Others?

Martin: There are a lot of legends, and you'll be hearing more about them in the future books, but a lot of stuff about Others and about dragons maybe isn't completely understood by the people of the present. Obsidian is of course volcanic glass; it's formed by immense heat and pressure down in the earth. The dragons themselves are creatures of intense heat.

Full interview: http://web.archive.o...s3/00103009.htm

Jon won't fulfill the prophecy and be reborn as AA until he plunges his sword into the heart of the new Nissa Nissa and absorbs her essence. With Dany being Nissa, we can conclude that the true AA is actually a combination of Jon and Dany.

Some of the prophecies apply to one, some to the other, so they are all correct.

I truly believed that jon was AAR. But now, after accepting reality, the only suggestions we get that he is AAR is from mel, who makes mistakes. So I rather just stick with evidence and believe dany is AAR until real evidence comes up.

I truly believed that jon was AAR. But now, after accepting reality, the only suggestions we get that he is AAR is from mel, who makes mistakes. So I rather just stick with evidence and believe dany is AAR until real evidence comes up.

Melisandre has made mistakes on her interpretations, but what she's seen in the fires has never been wrong. There are many examples of this, and I don't think it's necessary to list them now (or I'm too lazy?).

For her to explicitly ask R'hollor to show her AA, and for him to repeadetly answer with images of Jon Snow is meaningful to me.

Furthermore, her 'mistakes' may not have all been in vain. I believe that Mel will have an important role to play, such as rescuing Jon. She may have mistaken Stannis for AAR, but this eventually led her to meet up with Jon, to bring him an army, ally him with Stannis (to a certain extent), etc. Maybe this was the red god's plan all along. I would not so quickly dismiss what Mel sees in the fires.

You brought an interesting topic about dragons being the Lightbringer. I dunno about others, but GRRM seems to "hint" that dragons will play a significant role against the Others in this interview. Well, at least to me, he does:

Shaw: Is there a certain reason why they named obsidian "dragonglass" or why you did that?

Martin: Yes, there is a reason.

Shaw: Are dragons somehow the mortal enemy of the Others?

Martin: There are a lot of legends, and you'll be hearing more about them in the future books, but a lot of stuff about Others and about dragons maybe isn't completely understood by the people of the present. Obsidian is of course volcanic glass; it's formed by immense heat and pressure down in the earth. The dragons themselves are creatures of intense heat.

Full interview: http://web.archive.o...s3/00103009.htm

That is very interesting. IIRC, Drogon's blood was extremely hot and began to burn up the arrows that penetrated his body while he was carrying Daenerys off from Mereen. That would fit with the description of dragons being creatures of intense heat. It would be very intriguing to get a glimpse at some point about what the Others think about humans and dragons. Hopefully some character will find a way of understanding their speech or thoughts.

I agree with Eddward Stark. Mel's visions brought her to Stannis which led her to Jon. I don't see Jon taking up the Red God though so I'm confused about how it will all shake out...but Mel's bias / visions brought her to where she was for a reason...

Melisandre has made mistakes on her interpretations, but what she's seen in the fires has never been wrong. There are many examples of this, and I don't think it's necessary to list them now (or I'm too lazy?).

For her to explicitly ask R'hollor to show her AA, and for him to repeadetly answer with images of Jon Snow is meaningful to me.

Furthermore, her 'mistakes' may not have all been in vain. I believe that Mel will have an important role to play, such as rescuing Jon. She may have mistaken Stannis for AAR, but this eventually led her to meet up with Jon, to bring him an army, ally him with Stannis (to a certain extent), etc. Maybe this was the red god's plan all along. I would not so quickly dismiss what Mel sees in the fires.

I wouldn't put too much thought into Mel's visions, if I were you. When Melisandre looked into the fires and asked her god to be shown AA, she saw Stannis. Now, she sees Snow. What could that mean? With Melisandre, it could mean a lot of things really...

She is just too incompetent to be taken seriously.

This is part of what makes Martin interesting, he has written the Azor Ahai prophecy in such a way that several characters satisfy it; Jon, Daenerys, Stannis, Bran Stark.

Hell, I can even make a halfway compelling case Victarion is Azor Ahai.

I wouldn't put too much thought into Mel's visions, if I were you. When Melisandre looked into the fires and asked her god to be shown AA, she saw Stannis. Now, she sees Snow. What could that mean? With Melisandre, it could mean a lot of things really...

She is just too incompetent to be taken seriously.

Sorry to butt in. About the bold part, are you referring to when Mel first glimpsed Stannis before she came to Dragonstone? Because in her POV in ADWD she doesn't see him.

We don't know how exactly Mel got into her head that Stannis was AA. For all we know she could have asked her Red God to guide her to AA and he led her to Stannis which in turn led her to Jon. Is pure speculation at this point.

About Mel's visions, the interesting thing about her is that while she might be unreliable her visions do contain some truth in them. Take for example the grey girl running for the wall, It was a true vision. She just misinterpreted to mean what she needed to mean at the moment. The same could be happening with her views about AA.

Personally, I think the AA myth is a more orientalized version of the last hero or the PTWP story which are more Westerosi. And there is a lot about the Westerosi versions of the story we have yet to hear. I find interesting that we have a fairly detailed check list for the "ingredients" of AA provided by Salladhor Saan and Melissandre (both from an oriental culture) while we know very little about the PTWP prophecy. It is also not a coincidence that Old Nan got interrupted while telling the story of the last hero. There has got to be more to the figure of AA than smoke, salt and a red star bleeding.

I quite like the theory about the Night's Watch being Lightbringer and whoever commands the NW will be AA.

It still is not entirely clear where Melisandre got her idea that Stannis is Azor Ahai. There does not seem to be any specific case in the books where a red priest actually asked "Who is Azor Ahai returned?" It may indeed be the case that the flame visions were involved, but Benerro focuses more on Daenerys fitting the prophetic texts while Melisandre seems to be basing her decision on some as yet unstated secret. One of the SSMs said that there is more to be revealed about why Melisandre thinks that Stannis is AA.

The set of visions that Melisandre saw at the opening of her POV chapter focused on a variety of things: a tower by the sea crumbling, corpses, dragons fighting at Mereen, and a danger to Jon. There was not exactly a clear pattern that pertained purely to either Stannis or who is Azor Ahai. There never seemed to be a clear cut case where the flames returned either a Stannis or Jon answer; they have not answered the question for the reader. Martin seems to be avoiding have the flame visions easily just outright answer the question, preferring instead to use other methods. Interestingly, the first direct Azor Ahai parallels in the series began in AGOT, before the Azor Ahai legend was even introduced.

I remember seeing the Mel = Shiera theory and brushing it off...then I noticed that they are both described as having "heart-shaped faces". Not that it's proof or anything, but still interesting.

Jeyne Westerling is also said to have a heart-shaped face by Catelyn (II) in aSoS:

She [Jeyne Westerling] was pretty, undeniably, with her chestnut curls and heart-shaped face, and that shy smile.

I dont really see a R'hallor/AA connection. Generally, a person's god gets credit for anything good or bad that happens. The original AA likely fought the Others in Westeros and the tale was simply carried to Ashai. It's also quite likely that the original AA wasnt one person. I mean how could one person with one sword defeat all the Others. More likely AA was the hero or heroes who led the army that thru back the Others. It wouldnt surprise me if both Jon and Dany r those heroes during this cycle.

The Shiera Seastar=Mel theory is interesting. My thought on SS was she was Quaithe. Whoever is hiding behind Quaithe's mask has a face that is well known.

Dany definitely fits the requirements, I completely agree. She may also be a red herring to a certain extent.

Is it possible that there are 2 characters who simultaneously fulfill the prophesy?

Jon being AAR also makes a lot of sense, and let me add to the OP the following:

• Jon may very well have Targaryean blood, and there is a possibility that he will be a dragon rider.
  • Jon's prophetic dreams about the crypts of Winterfell foreshadow him finding something extremely important there. It is possible that one of the greatest mysteries in aSoIaF (the identity of Jon's parents) will be solved there, likely in Lyanna's tomb, where Jon will find that he is a dragon: a dragon awaking out of of stone could simply mean a Targaryean being discovered from a stone tomb.

I've begun to wonder if there aren't multiple individuals who will have, to some extent, fulfilled the Azor Ahai prophecy. At this very moment how many people could be said to have been 'reborn amidst smoke and salt'?

I think it might end up that each culture will claim one of their own as Azor Ahai reborn. The Ironborn will say it was one of those traitorous sons-of-whores Greyjoys. The Northmen will claim it was Jon. Those who support Stannis will say it was him. Yet others will say it was Dany, and so on.

Sorry to butt in. About the bold part, are you referring to when Mel first glimpsed Stannis before she came to Dragonstone? Because in her POV in ADWD she doesn't see him.

We don't know how exactly Mel got into her head that Stannis was AA. For all we know she could have asked her Red God to guide her to AA and he led her to Stannis which in turn led her to Jon. Is pure speculation at this point.

About Mel's visions, the interesting thing about her is that while she might be unreliable her visions do contain some truth in them. Take for example the grey girl running for the wall, It was a true vision. She just misinterpreted to mean what she needed to mean at the moment. The same could be happening with her views about AA.

Personally, I think the AA myth is a more orientalized version of the last hero or the PTWP story which are more Westerosi. And there is a lot about the Westerosi versions of the story we have yet to hear. I find interesting that we have a fairly detailed check list for the "ingredients" of AA provided by Salladhor Saan and Melissandre (both from an oriental culture) while we know very little about the PTWP prophecy. It is also not a coincidence that Old Nan got interrupted while telling the story of the last hero. There has got to be more to the figure of AA than smoke, salt and a red star bleeding.

I quite like the theory about the Night's Watch being Lightbringer and whoever commands the NW will be AA.

Would you know if the king was dead?" Jon asked the red priestess.

"He is not dead. Stannis is the Lord's chosen, destined to lead the fight against the dark. I have seen it in the flames, read of it in ancient prophecy. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone. Dragon-stone is the place of smoke and salt."

There is your evidence. Unless, of course, Melisandre is lying about seeing Stannis as AA in the flames and is intentionally leading him on...

Archived