how many seasons will GoT go on for?

Ned of Winterfell

No it isn't. There hasn't been a HBO show that has lasted 10 seasons. Therefore, that's not reality.

And George is 15 years older, much busier and without any economical need to write new books.

And the story is growing so much that he'll need at least three more books to finish it. He still hasn't written his "original" Dance with Dragons, which was based on Dany's return to Westeros.

Thank you for just answering for me. She was referring to the time between books, not the amount of seasons. And as I have stated before we're not getting 10 seasons, but if there ends up being 8 books then that's what we'll need.

It's actually an interesting discussion, if GRRM would release plot details of the unreleased novels to the producers if the TV series catches up with the novels. I doubt he would, as that would probably undermine the sales of the novels, once they're released.

In any case, it wouldn't really be an adaptation anymore.

Thank you for just answering for me. She was referring to the time between books, not the amount of seasons. And as I have stated before we're not getting 10 seasons, but if there ends up being 8 books then that's what we'll need.

You posted a possible schedule that has the series run for 8-10 seasons and Martin finish the books every 2-3 years. I'm just saying that's NOT realistic.

Seriously, try to make an outline of each storyline for seasons 4, 5 and 6, and tell me if you think it works. Tell me what Arya, Bran, Sansa, Brienne, Sam, Victarion, Theon and Dany are going to do for example.

There isn't really a good way to go about it with many of those story lines, no matter what scenario they choose when they start getting into the territory of the latter books. With nearly all of those characters, it will become a necessity to both show them less than they had been previously (which, with all of the new characters that will be introduced, was likely going to happen anyway), and giving those characters additional material (either from the book series, where certain events that have already occurred are referenced but not shown; or entirely new material to supplement their existing story lines).

I don't think D&D are foolish enough to rush through the story lines for each of these characters simply to provide material for them during the course of the season. It throws the timeline of the story out of whack, and makes the adaptation process exponentially more difficult than it already is. And in either case, the end result is that D&D have to come up with additional material. That being the case, it makes sense to pad the existing story lines out rather than extending too far past the point where their stories end in the books.

It will certainly be difficult, but not impossible for them to do. Either way, we'll see how it all works itself out eventually, and I think I might personally be more excited to see how (if, even) they handle AFfC & ADwD than I am to see how ASoS is adapted (although it is, predictably, my favorite book in the series... Followed by AFfC...). I tend to be more of an optimist, so I'm confident that if D&D have any plans to continue with the series after these next two seasons, they'll be up for the challenge of adapting the two latest books.

You posted a possible schedule that has the series run for 8-10 seasons and Martin finish the books every 2-3 years. I'm just saying that's NOT realistic.

But the other poster was not asking about the amount of seasons but the time between books. And 3 years per book is perfectly reasonable. I think you've just gotten a bit pessimistic after AFFC and ADWD.

As to the number of seasons I realise it's unrealistic that we'll get 8-10 seasons, but it's just as unrealistic to think the the books can be adapted in less.

If I had to guess I would say:

Storm is split into 2 Season 3 and 4.

AFFC and DWD could be combined and shot in a weird order because they happen simultaniously so Seasons 5/6.

Then One Season for TWoW that makes 7.

Finally A Dream of Spring is Season 8-likely with a massive multimedia campaign as the Season kicks off the books release or the day after.

season 3 - SOS

season 4 - SOS, AFFC, DWD

season 5 - AFFC, DWD, WoW

season 6 - WoW, ADoS

season 7 - ADoS

There will probably be a lot of story created for the show. Entourage went for 8 seasons so there's no reason Game of Thrones can't. If the 3rd and 4th seasons are as successful as the last two then I wouldn't be surprised if the network increases the budget to allow for slightly longer seasons. Considering how awesome ASOS is, I think the 3rd season will be a massive hit.

I would say 7. Although ASOS will be broken into 2 seasons, I can see them combining AFFC and ADWD into 15 episode season. In a perfect world they would give us a prequel season depicting Roberts Rebelion to allow for the books to catch up. In this imperfect world however, David and Dan will play along with the books through ASOS, then they'll go in their own direction.

Guys.... TWoW is coming out most likely the middle/end of 2014/early 2015. By that time we'll be starting up AFFC/ADwD material. And since those will be spliced together, that might be a season in itself, and then maybe 2 seasons for TWoW, which gives GRRM more time for ADoS, which will most likely come by 2017 at the latest.

And numerous times, and just a month or two ago, the head honchos at HBO have just said as long as GRRM keeps writing, they'll keep making it. That's from the big guys themselves. They know how popular this show, both in the U.S. AND overseas. It has a huge merchandising line, and it's their fastest-selling DVD, and more infamously the most pirated show of 2012. Each season grows in viewership. This show will NOT be canceled after 5 seasons. Seriously, they're giving True Blood a sixth season. So if that trash show can make it to 6 seasons, then the more critically-acclaimed, fan-loved show GoT will get at least 8 seasons to adapt the whole thing. This isn't an ordinary show where if it's getting canceled the producers can make up an ending on the spot. This is an adaption where it has to end the way the books do, and no matter what, we'll get that ending. All you "It'll end after AFFC/ADwD" really think that's a good place to leave it off on?

We'll get 8 seasons I think, maybe 9.

. Considering how awesome ASOS is, I think the 3rd season will be a massive hit.

I'm a bit uneasy about that... Yes ASOS as a single book is awesome. ASOS in one season would be awesome. ASOS split in two seasons.... may not be awesome (meaning, each indivitual season may not me awesome).

Seriously, they're giving True Blood a sixth season. So if that trash show can make it to 6 seasons, then the more critically-acclaimed, fan-loved show GoT will get at least 8 seasons to adapt the whole thing.

This "trash", as you call it, has more viewers than Game of Thrones (about one third more, comparing season to season), and costs far less (about half the expense).

That people has no taste, I will give you. But from a business perspective it's obvious that True Blood is more likely to have more seasons (as long as the costs and the number of viewers keep following the same trends).

This isn't an ordinary show where if it's getting canceled the producers can make up an ending on the spot. This is an adaption where it has to end the way the books do, and no matter what, we'll get that ending.

No matter what? There's tons of things that will matter, profitability being the main one. Shows are cancelled without a proper ending all the time. Perhaps, being HBO, they might give the producers five additional episodes to conclude all the plots. Remember: the show is being renewed on a year by year basis.

Ideally, seven books means seven seasons. However, GRRM's notoriously slow pace will likely mean that the show will actually outpace the novels unless the books start getting split into half a book = half a season. I think it will have to be done at some point. I'm not sure if this will be of benefit to the show in the long run though.

ASOS, for example, is a great book, but I don't know what it'll be like split over 2 seasons.

Hasn't GRRM told D+D how the series is going to finish in order for them to carry on? I'm pretty sure that HBO are licensed to simply carry on if GRRM doesn't finish before the show catches him.

Supposedly, D&D know the broad strokes of how the story ends... even Martin doesn't know all the details.

Once the shows reaches the last published noble, it WON'T be an adaptation: it may be based on the general ideas that Martin has told them but mostly invented material.

The show will max out at 5 seasons. Just a gut feeling I have considering the luke warm critical reception of S2 (in comparison to S1, this is undeniable). Season 3's fast pace will redeem it a bit but come season 4 the story will have become too convoluted to garner a massive response. No development at the wall, no development with Dany, and no more Tyrion or Joff in KL (favorites of the tv audience) S5 will put the nails in the coffin. They'll be asking the audience to care about a whole new set of houses, locations, and characters (Dorne, braavos, kingsmoot, Aegon etc.) while the other stuff is still left hanging. There's only so much you can expect an audience to put up with.

I know I sound pessimistic, but 5 seasons really is a good run (the wire and breaking bad anyone?). Besides, it'll avoid headaches about any scheduling conflicts with grrm's pace. All good things come to an end, and we'll always have the books.

The show will max out at 5 seasons. Just a gut feeling I have considering the luke warm critical reception of S2 (in comparison to S1, this is undeniable). Season 3's fast pace will redeem it a bit but come season 4 the story will have become too convoluted to garner a massive response. No development at the wall, no development with Dany, and no more Tyrion or Joff in KL (favorites of the tv audience) S5 will put the nails in the coffin. They'll be asking the audience to care about a whole new set of houses, locations, and characters (Dorne, braavos, kingsmoot, Aegon etc.) while the other stuff is still left hanging. There's only so much you can expect an audience to put up with.

I know I sound pessimistic, but 5 seasons really is a good run (the wire and breaking bad anyone?). Besides, it'll avoid headaches about any scheduling conflicts with grrm's pace. All good things come to an end, and we'll always have the books.

http://losersandheroes.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/delorean.jpg

Supposedly, D&D know the broad strokes of how the story ends... even Martin doesn't know all the details.

Once the shows reaches the last published noble, it WON'T be an adaptation: it may be based on the general ideas that Martin has told them but mostly invented material.

and the show will give away some of the mysteries? before the novels? It doesnt make any sense.

as long as their number are good, they'll keep on (re)signing for new seasons. HBO is a business, and they're in it for the monies.

that being said, given it's the best show on tv atm (even after a not-so-good seasn 2) I think it'll be 8 or 9 seasons.

god I hope D&D dont drop the ball in the 3rd season -_-

Archived