Confessions... Say what! v4

Night Gathers

Not sure why so many people hate Dany to the degree they do. Her chapters can be slow and frustrating in aDwD, but so were a lot of people's lately.

I used to really hate Jaime, but now he's one of my favourite characters.

Stannis is strangely attractive, despite his seriously anti-social attitude. I just love his humour. I really want him and Davos to realise they love each other, they're pretty much my OTP.

Every time I start to like/sympathise with Cersei, I think about the people she gave to Qyburn. I really can't get past that.

My opinion of Tyrion has gone severely downhill over the course of the books.

I really want to see some more positive families in the books (particularly parent/child relationships). The Starks were presented almost like the perfect family at first, and have been steadily ripped to pieces over the course of the books. Brienne has a lovely relationship with her dad. The Tyrells seem to look out for one another despite their scheming. I don't really count Oberyn and the Sand Snakes 'cause that whole set up seems a bit messed up to me. But for the most part, everyone has issues with their family, it's rather sad.

Good sweet heart? She abused a lonely child because she was angry at his father? She started a war by taking Tyrion hostage even though she had major evidence to the contrary? She supports Robs decision to back out of the marrige proposal and frees his greatest asset that could have ACTUALLY gotten her daughters back. She just seems so short sighted and selfish. I suppose this may be very human....but i like my fictional characters to aspire towards a tad more :)

I think the thing that chaffs me about Cat is the same issue i have with when Aaron Sorkin (who i love) write woman. He makes this terrific, strong, independant, powerful, beautiful, charcter...then makes her do such foolish things. Just gets me frustrated :)

I'll ignore the rest of this as this thread isn't for Cat discussion but I do need clarity one one thing. How in the world could Cat have supported his decision to back out of the marriage contract if she didn't know about the marriage to Jeyne Westerling until it was already done and he returned from the Westerlands back to Riverrun?

Good sweet heart? She abused a lonely child because she was angry at his father? She started a war by taking Tyrion hostage even though she had major evidence to the contrary? She supports Robs decision to back out of the marrige proposal and frees his greatest asset that could have ACTUALLY gotten her daughters back. She just seems so short sighted and selfish. I suppose this may be very human....but i like my fictional characters to aspire towards a tad more :)

I think the thing that chaffs me about Cat is the same issue i have with when Aaron Sorkin (who i love) write woman. He makes this terrific, strong, independant, powerful, beautiful, charcter...then makes her do such foolish things. Just gets me frustrated :)

I'll respond to this later, I'm going out for several hours. Sorry about distracting from the main gist of the thread.

I think that almost every decision Jon made in ADWD was right.

I used to think that Dany's dragons were cool, but the more I think about the more I think that they should be killed (after the war with the Others if they are needed)

I wouldn't care if Tyrion ended up with Penny, I have no stake in his love life what-so-ever, except that I never want him with Sansa.

I probably won't care when/if Tommen and Myrcella die, not because I dislike them, but because I hate Cersei.

I think Renly would have made a good King.

If there is not, at the very least, one Stark in Winterfell at the end of the series I will cut a bitch.

My biggest problem with Dany is not her time in Meereen, but the fact that she wants to rule a place she knows nothing about and refuses to learn about it through Selmy.

I want more Targaryens, I am obsessed with Targaryen's. Every time we meet a suspicious character I hope beyond hope they are secretly Targaryens.

I also love House Dayne. I know that Ashara dayne is still alive, and I'm waiting for Edric Dayne to wield Dawn. I even like Darkstar.

I really, really dislike Varys, Illario and Littlefinger. I want Ramsay to get his hands on them and do his thing. Man, they're turrible.

I also really disliked Dany's refusal to use her dragons. Just use the damn dragons to end the blockade and get on with it. The way GRRM decided to do Dany's inner monologues whenever Daario was around was annoying too. I mean, I get she's a teenage girl with strong feelings for this guy, but it seemed like she was moments away from melting into a puddle every time his name was even mentioned.

I have mixed feelings about the increasing role of magic/the supernatural as the series progresses. I feel like the first two/three books were a lot more about the characters and the things people did. I feel like these last couple books have been more focused on bloodlines and "magic" and gods. Which is cool in a sense because the dragons are awesome and so is Bran meeting up with the 3EC. But I really liked the feel of the first few books where the magic/supernatural is something minor/one-time in the background instead of something which shows up in basically every chapter of the book now with Rh'llor's prescient priests and people being resurrected and people that can warg left and right.

On a brighter note, I love Arya, both as a character and her plot line. I like Jamie now too and really hope GRRM doesn't decide to kill him off.

I think that almost every decision Jon made in ADWD was right.

I used to think that Dany's dragons were cool, but the more I think about the more I think that they should be killed (after the war with the Others if they are needed)

I wouldn't care if Tyrion ended up with Penny, I have no stake in his love life what-so-ever, except that I never want him with Sansa.

I probably won't care when/if Tommen and Myrcella die, not because I dislike them, but because I hate Cersei.

I think Renly would have made a good King.

If there is not, at the very least, one Stark in Winterfell at the end of the series I will cut a bitch.

My biggest problem with Dany is not her time in Meereen, but the fact that she wants to rule a place she knows nothing about and refuses to learn about it through Selmy.

I agree with your last few points, especially about Stark's in Winterfell.

But I still love Dany, her and her dragons can do no wrong.

And I disagreed with almost every decision Jon made in ADWD. Arming the wildlings and letting them all over the wall put such a huge divide between him and his men. Then sending Cotter Pyke out to die at Hardhome... I guess this all equates to dany saving her slaves in the East, but still I found it insane

The saddest event for me was the burning of Winterfell. Theon's betrayal was obnoxious, but Ramsay's betrayal was sickening. When we heard how he cut off Rodrik's arm, murdered Cley cerwyn and ultimately killed 2000 good Northerners just like that I was livid.

Of course burning Winterfell was terrible too, and I don't even want to think about Beth, Old Nan and the others. I've never hated any fictional character more than I hate Ramsay Snow

I agree with your last few points, especially about Stark's in Winterfell.

But I still love Dany, her and her dragons can do no wrong.

And I disagreed with almost every decision Jon made in ADWD. Arming the wildlings and letting them all over the wall put such a huge divide between him and his men. Then sending Cotter Pyke out to die at Hardhome... I guess this all equates to dany saving her slaves in the East, but still I found it insane

I don't agree with him because he's saving lives (though I do think doing so was the morally right thing to do), I agree with him because not letting them through the wall is creating more wights and he needed men to man the wall and reopen castles.

I don't agree with him because he's saving lives (though I do think doing so was the morally right thing to do), I agree with him because not letting them through the wall is creating more wights and he needed men to man the wall and reopen castles.

Yeah his decision were actually right for the good of the realm. I think the way I saw it I was just looking out for Jon and slowly realizing that all his decision were turning his allies against him. particularly sending away Sam & Aemon and losing his friendship with Pyp and Grenn bothered me. He made allt he right decisions but I saw so much Ned Stark in him I was furious....and then he got stabbed.

More confessions:

- I hate it when someone uses a scene from the tv series to justify incorrect statements about something in the books.

- I hate it when evidence in the show is to support or justify a theory about the books.

- I hate it when evidence from the show is justified with the claim that Martin has lots of power over the show so it wouldn't be there unless he approved it.

It it ain't in the books, it doesn't count.

I'll ignore the rest of this as this thread isn't for Cat discussion but I do need clarity one one thing. How in the world could Cat have supported his decision to back out of the marriage contract if she didn't know about the marriage to Jeyne Westerling until it was already done and he returned from the Westerlands back to Riverrun?

I got that one backwards my bad.

1) I really want to like Stannis, but I can't. I can't get behind someone who uses religious fanaticism and intolerance so cynically, who can feel no empathy for someone like Gilly, who can justify kinslaying and blood magic and oathbreaking and adultery for himself but can find no understanding or mercy for anyone else. I think he's funny! I love that he's at the Wall and fighting the people I hate! Every time I start the story again, I think, Maybe this will be the time l like him! But then I get to Maester Cressen's chapter and there I am again, thinking, Stannis Baratheon, you are such! a! jerk!

2) I find Arya's recent arc really interesting, but it's been a long long time since I've thought of her as anything like a hero. It surprises me whenever I see her spoken of that way.

3) The Sand Snakes and Arianne rub me the wrong way. I want to think of them as strong, independent women, but what I get when I read is irrational and ~in need of sensible male guidance~. The Martells don't really work for me.

4) Boy I sure could not care less about Meereen! And that Dany made such a horrible muck of it! But I love her so much for trying, for really making an effort to make things better for the people she freed, even though she failed hard.

No matter how hard I try I can never care about Arya. To me she feels incredibly contrived, and has plot armor even thicker than Tyrion's. Whenever I see her I imagine the pesky girl in school that thought it was funny to kick boys in the groin

*I've only started to appreciate her more since she made it to Braavos, I also love a lot of the characters she was with, like Gendry & Hot Pie

When Cat found out about Robb marrying Jeyne, she kinda lost her shit. She said something like "Robb, what have you done!" So no, i doubt she supported that action.

Again i must have misremembered. It happens, I make errors :) Can't remember every page word for word. I meant that although she told him" this is silly you are making a mistake" (Again after he had already made the error) It seems i remember her turning around and saying i understand Rob you are 16 the heart wants what it wants.

More confessions:

- I hate it when someone uses a scene from the tv series to justify incorrect statements about something in the books.

- I hate it when evidence in the show is to support or justify a theory about the books.

- I hate it when evidence from the show is justified with the claim that Martin has lots of power over the show so it wouldn't be there unless he approved it.

It's amazing how many people claim GRRM has a "veto" over the show, when he's repeatedly said the exact opposite, that they can do whatever they want.

No matter how hard I try I can never care about Arya. To me she feels incredibly contrived, and has plot armor even thicker than Tyrion's. Whenever I see her I imagine the pesky girl in school that thought it was funny to kick boys in the groin

*I've only started to appreciate her more since she made it to Braavos, I also love a lot of the characters she was with, like Gendry & Hot Pie

I might not be exactly with you on this, but I'm waving at you from another car on the same freeway. She was the one character that I felt I was being forced to like at the beginning. I did like her! But kind of resentfully. Now I've gone from feeling pressured into showing up in my team sweater for all her home games to being genuinely curious about how things are going to turn out for her.

More confessions:

Look i have read the books all multiple times, I have watched the show all the way through multiple times, I have read other books. I do occasionally jumble something together. :)

Very well....but don't respond to that if you think it is a ludicrious statement without touching on the main jist of Jon Snow and how she treated him over something that had nothing to do with him.

Look i have read the books all multiple times, I have watched the show all the way through multiple times, I have read other books. I do occasionally jumble something together. :)

Very well....but don't respond to that if you think it is a ludicrious statement without touching on the main jist of Jon Snow and how she treated him over something that had nothing to do with him.

Who said my post was anything about you? It was a reaction to some stuff I was reading about Sansa and Tyrion if you must know.

Archived