Confessions... Say what! v4

Night Gathers

I feel like the Martells could have been great. They could have been the coolest house. But Doran is such a moron, his actions (or lack thereof) make NO SENSE, Quentyn was awful, I don't like the way Arianne is written, and the Sand Snakes barely have a personality...

I still like Dorne though.

I could not have said it better. The Martells are some of Martin's worst writing and always strike me as a great example of what could have been. The Sand Snakes are awful. I have this vision of them all wearing sassy outfits and acting sassy with sassy comebacks. Every time they are mention, I have this image of the opening of Charlie's Angels. And Doran is an idiot.

I could not have said it better. The Martells are some of Martin's worst writing and always strike me as a great example of what could have been. The Sand Snakes are awful. I have this vision of them all wearing sassy outfits and acting sassy with sassy comebacks. Every time they are mention, I have this image of the opening of Charlie's Angels. And Doran is an idiot.

:agree:

• My obsession with The North is a little bit unhealthy - I kind of want to move to Canada just so I can live a lifestyle more like theirs.

There is nothing unhealthy whatsoever about this notion. It is actually a mark of intelligence, imo.

haha I definitely get Charlie's Angels vibes from them! and the way they all have ~one cool thing~ about them (Tyene with poisons, Nymeria with the daggers, etc...) it's just... yawn.

I was reading through that "will Dorne be pissed at Dany" and all I could think was in what universe any part of Doran's plans would work?

Sort of agreed. They're certainly stock cliche fantasy characters, but I tend to be pretty entertained by them, and now the idea of Lady Nym and Cersei having to deal with each other, and Tyene with the incredibly sexist HS sets up some interesting story lines. As for Dorne, I tend to really like Doran and Arrianne, who I think are pretty rich characters (oh, and Sarella is pretty awesome too). So yeah, definitely a mixed bag...Don't even get me started on Areo Hotah though lol, him and Aeron Damphair need to kill each other off in a super-boring face-off of super-boring characters.

haha I definitely get Charlie's Angels vibes from them! and the way they all have ~one cool thing~ about them (Tyene with poisons, Nymeria with the daggers, etc...) it's just... yawn.

I was reading through that "will Dorne be pissed at Dany" and all I could think was in what universe any part of Doran's plans would work?

Doran makes these complicated plans without any kind of Plan B and withholding important information and making erroneous assumptions. Yet he isnt completely without merit. He has kept Dorne out of the war. I think the episode with Arianne has him rethinking the secretive thing - especially now that Oberyn isnt around to plot with. He definitely brought the hammer down on Ariannes co-conspirators. He is unquestionably the leader of Dorne. Arianne was hard pressed to think of a Dornish house that might go along with her plan. Even then, she was ratted out.

Why is Doran such an idiot? There seems to be a lot of dislike towards him/ his actions upthread . Could someone elaborate on that

Where to even start lol?

He plans this long-con ridiculous revenge scheme, waits all these years, doesn't tell his heir about it so she can screw things up for him, sends his eldest son away on a ridiculous suicide mission that has no chance of succeeding, and then when it's time for him to actually take action-His long thought out plan involves sending various sand snakes to different locations to spy on things.

I could be forgetting about a lot more considering I don't read Dornish chapters particularly carefully.

Where to even start lol?

He plans this long-con ridiculous revenge scheme, waits all these years, doesn't tell his heir about it so she can screw things up for him, sends his eldest son away on a ridiculous suicide mission that has no chance of succeeding, and then when it's time for him to actually take action-His long thought out plan involves sending various sand snakes to different locations to spy on things.

I could be forgetting about a lot more considering I don't read Dornish chapters particularly carefully.

So... what? You're saying that the Dornish should have sent assassins towards the Westerlands before the beginning of the series to murder Tywin and Gregor? You're saying that they should have sent Arianne across the sea a few years earlier, to try to find Viserys and immediately promise him all of your armies, which weren't enough to even take the Reach, let alone the rest of the kingdoms? It's hard to see what Doran could have accomplished earlier, and easy to understand why he and Oberyn were waiting for a better opportunity. But I do agree with you, however, that Doran should have spoken to Arianne about it all a few years earlier. At least, she should have been told after that last time that she was presented to a suitor. (Might have been dangerous to tell her anything before; don't want the young teenager to refuse the offer in a suspicious way, rather in a way that any normal girl would, and knowing proper acting would only have gotten her so far.)

I suppose not telling his daughter was because he wanted to keep it a secret , and given that King's landing had no idea what he was up to in that regard he succeeded . Whilst I agree that his plan din't work out well at all , I think his original plan was sending Arienne to Visereys so he was dealt a hard hand there. He din't get Dorne involved in the war , which I think worked out well for Dorne.

I'm not sure why the Martells are his " Worst writing ever " then again it's quite subjective what is good writing and what's not.

Yes the Sand Snakes come off as a bit of a cliche , given that we'll surely see more of Nym in the next two books , I think we'll get more of the relationships between the Sand Snakes , as well as a better understanding of them

Speaking of the Sand Snakes, has Oberyn ONLY had daughters? Seeing how he has EIGHT of them, that's incredibly unlikely. Perhaps he only acknowledges the daughters? Still, I've always thought it to be odd.

It happens. I've seen it irl, people with like 8 sons, or 5 daughters... it's rare but it does happen.

I feel like the Martells could have been great. They could have been the coolest house. But Doran is such a moron, his actions (or lack thereof) make NO SENSE, Quentyn was awful, I don't like the way Arianne is written, and the Sand Snakes barely have a personality...

I still like Dorne though.

I blame the POVs for that, tbh. GRRM should have told the Dornish chapters entirely from the POV of Arianne. That would have given GRRM four extra chapters to expand on her personality (and make us actually care about her). Instead we got three chapters of Areo Hotah, and one of Arys Oakheart...

I think Quentyn would have been far better if we hadn't got his POV.

Archived