Confessions... Say what! v4

Night Gathers

I HAVE CONFESSIONS!

After i finished season 1 i started "reading' the audiobook of GOT and was upset at how much was left out. (especially Dany's wedding night I MEAN THAT GOT ME HOT AND BOTHERED O_O)

I fell in love with Jon snow after reading his POV. and then decided Kit harrington could not compare to how I viewed him in the books. regardless how handsome and talented he is.

When i was waiting for the next audiobook to download, I read the chapter summaries for every chapter in ACOK and ASOS before listening to them.

My opinions on various characters and events have all formed due to reading the wiki and this forum. I.e. I love all the characters and hate all the characters at the same time. ( also i fell in love with Stannis after reading what you guys have to say about him LOL)

I've skipped ahead in chapters because i felt super bored and had to go back and re-listen to some chapters because i fell asleep and didnt catch wtf was going on.

I spoiled myself about the RW before it happened and freaked out when i saw the foreshadowing for it chapters before it happened.

OH I listened to the entirity of ASOIAF in 2 weeks

I confess that I think that Rhaegar Targaryen is a Mary Sue. GRRM never romanticizes characters - that's something that other writers do, and even though Robert's opinion of Rhaegar is far from flattering, it is also probably far from accurate, which means that Rhaegar is in all likelyhood going to be a really good-looking, nice, thoughtful, deep, solemn, intelligent, brave, honorable man who just made a slight mistake. This feels like the sore thumb of ASOIAF, which is full of characters that are either grey or black (or onion smugglers :D).

I also wonder if being on this site too long has made us judgemental. Every character bar Davos has several hate threads nowadays, and some discussions are more complex and convoluted than debates on philosophy. I'm not sure how I feel about that; I like having a simple opinion on things and I think liking a character just because they give you a positive vibe is a good enough reason to like them, even if logic dictates otherwise...

Also, ASOIAF has replaced Harry Potter as the series I read again and again and again. I am very happy about that transition. :)

I confess that I think that Rhaegar Targaryen is a Mary Sue. GRRM never romanticizes characters - that's something that other writers do, and even though Robert's opinion of Rhaegar is far from flattering, it is also probably far from accurate, which means that Rhaegar is in all likelyhood going to be a really good-looking, nice, thoughtful, deep, solemn, intelligent, brave, honorable man who just made a slight mistake. This feels like the sore thumb of ASOIAF, which is full of characters that are either grey or black (or onion smugglers :D).

I wouldn't worry too much... ;) best case scenario for him he is an adulterer who lured a 15-year-old into running away, started a war, and left his wife and two small children with his literally crazy father, in the one place where they'd be doomed if they lost the war.

Also, ASOIAF has replaced Harry Potter as the series I read again and again and again. I am very happy about that transition. :)

For me too! I still love HP, but I'm hooked on ASOIAF right now!

-I would rather read a prequel centered around Robert's Rebellion then read AFFC, ASoS, or ADwD

- My favourite characters are Sansa, Sandor, Tyrion, Dany, and Jaime

- I ALMOST stopped reading after the Battle on the Blackwater.

- I actually used to like Ceresi before ACoK. Before then, it seemed like she was actually a good player in the game of thrones. Then, we saw her as a paranoid wreck in AFFC. That kinda ruined that :(

-I think GRRM is dragging the story out too far. I think five books could've sufficed.

-I think Ceresi and Jaime may be Targs ( Aerys and Joanna)

Theres all the confessing I can handle for now.

After the books are done, I hope that George makes a Westeros History book, with full history accounts, of things before the book series and maybe a hundred or so years after the book series. I think it would be really cool to have a Westeros history book that seemed like a real history book. I know it will not happen since it would take so much time making it, but it would be so awesome.

Royce? I would have even forgotten who she was if HBO wasn't putting her on the show in the third season (seriously...why?)

Yeah she has like one scene, I do not dislike her, but wtf.

Well is better than putting more Ros, although that ship has sailed. Lol

All the traveling wears me out, partly because I feel obliged to figure out if the distances and time make sense. Plus I cant see the dam maps with my old eyes.

No no no no no! Don't do that! That is the way to drive yourself insane. There is absolutely no way in hell that they make any sense at all.

No no no no no! Don't do that! That is the way to drive yourself insane. There is absolutely no way in hell that they make any sense at all.

Agree. I never could understand maps (ahh! women stereotype) although once I reached AFfC figuring out the maps came much more naturally. The descriptions within the POVs do help in understanding the illustrations.

After I read the first book I LOVED Jon Snow but then I watched the T.V. show and I hated the actor so much that I found as I was reading the rest of the books I did not like him as much... I let the show influence my opinion of Jon (and a few other characters) and by the time Jon died (or w/e...) I didn't even care...

Yeah she has like one scene, I do not dislike her, but wtf.

Well is better than putting more Ros, although that ship has sailed. Lol

I don't necessarily dislike Myranda either. Its more that she's just so...unimportant. The only thing I remember about her at all is that her husband died while having sex with her...ohwait...that's gotta be why HBO wants her on the show.

All the traveling wears me out, partly because I feel obliged to figure out if the distances and time make sense. Plus I cant see the dam maps with my old eyes.

Really i feel like one of Martins greatest strengths is the lack of "Travel time" compared to the other major fantasy authors.

Archived