Confessions... Say what! v4

Night Gathers

I agree. I do like Sansa though. But just because of *reasons* doesnt mean someone has to like Sansa. Its the same with Arya. People dont have to like her either. I do but yeah thats just me.

:agree: Two people can understand a character perfectly well and have different personal responses to her. It's the people who clearly seem to have only a very superficial understanding of a character (or get the facts wrong) that really stick in my craw.

I like Sansa. She has her strengths and her weaknesses. I thought I was something of an apologist, but I gotta admit I'm a little more critical of some of her personal qualities than most of her most ardent fans here. I am curious about GRRM's plans for her. I have my idea of what GRRM thinks a "strong" woman is, and who he thinks Sansa is, and I'm curious to see if he'll reinforce or avert my expectations based in part on Sansa's role and characterization in the next two books.

Confessions:

I strongly dislike Genna Lannister, and don't get the love for her.

I do not understand why Maester Cressen gets a free pass for attempted murder on these boards. He is written very sympathetically, but it was still attempted murder.

I will be seriously annoyed if Jon is "legitimate" because Targaryens make the rules and for them (and them alone) polygamy is OK. I very much doubt that was in the small print when Rhaegar married Elia. Of when Robert married Cersei for that matter... Just because some of these daft lot married their sisters in the past doesn't mean it's a normal or lawful way to organise your inheritance.

I really loved Beric Dondarrion, and miss him a lot.

Recently, I've been logging on this forum nearly only because of a conversation I have with another member about Fire Emblem. Every new topic seems to be about basically the same thing as new topics that were created last month/two weeks ago, no?

Recently, I've been logging on this forum nearly only because of a conversation I have with another member about Fire Emblem. Every new topic seems to be about basically the same thing as new topics that were created last month/two weeks ago, no?

I think this has been mentioned before :D

I'm watching The Tudors right now, and I'm a little surprised at how much the staging in Baelor (which I loved) seems similar to the famous execution in The Tudors. I know great minds think alike, but damn. The birds taking off, the emphasis on the presence of a young child. It's not the same, and I guess there's only so many ways to do an execution, but it's a bit closer than I would expect.

It's also really making me wonder if some weird twist is coming with Margaery and Loras... the storyline with Margaery seems very directly inspired by Anne Boleyn's story, down to the blue Bard/Mark Smeeton, the one person who is released to give the accusations against the other credibility, and some other stuff. George Boleyn was accused and executed and there was that septa's weird cryptic comment about Loras (which I had thought meant something else). It would just be so typical for GRRM to have Cercei exonerated of the true charges against her and Jaime and have false charges against Margaery and Loras bring Margaery down.

It's also really making me wonder if some weird twist is coming with Margaery and Loras... the storyline with Margaery seems very directly inspired by Anne Boleyn's story, down to the blue Bard/Mark Smeeton, the one person who is released to give the accusations against the other credibility, and some other stuff. George Boleyn was accused and executed and there was that septa's weird cryptic comment about Loras (which I had thought meant something else). It would just be so typical for GRRM to have Cercei exonerated of the true charges against her and Jaime and have false charges against Margaery and Loras bring Margaery down.

Well, Cersei did comment on her POV if Margaery and Loras might just be a little too close, like Jaime and her. She was just wondering, of course... but it would be so funny if it were true and she was right without even knowing.

I think there's already more than enough incest in the series though... soon ASOIAF will stand for A Series of Incest and Fighting as one poster once put it ;)

My favourite characters are Littlefinger, Jaime, Euron, Theon, and Tyrion.

I liked A Feast for Crows and a Dance With Dragons

I find Emo Snow's "honour" and associated ridiculousness to be incredibly annoying.

Ned was really nice, but incredibly annoying.

Stannis is a bitch.

I think that Tywin would have been the best king to ever rule Westeros.

I wish that there were less rebels, and more kneeling. I don't care who kneels to whom, I just wish that people could swallow their"pride" for once.

I get it Sansa a a girly-girl; that doesn't mean that she has to be my favorite character. Nor does it mean that I have to like her more than girls who are more proactive and independent. In fact, it doesn't mean that I have to like her at all, especially not when she has an army of apologists to find excuses for all her behavior. IRL, would you like someone who was never held responsible for anything? On the contrary, you'd probably want to give him/her a good kick in the ass right after you gave slapped his/ her enablers about the head with a wet fish.

Sansa needs a good activating kick in the behind, and I really, really want Arya to do it.

Ditto.

I can certainly appreciate the appreciable aspects of Sansa's character but, as others have mentioned, that doesn't mean I have to like her. I don't hate her - there are plenty of characters far more deserving of my hate - but I wouldn't call her a favorite of mine. She has her flaws, as all of George's characters do, and rather than try to find excuses for them, we should simply learn to take the good with the bad.

Aside from that...

• I love Tywin (We all love at least one bad boy, don't we?)
  • While I'm not on Team Lannister, they're easily among the most complex characters in the series and I find them fascinating to read about.
  • I am a fierce supporter of House Stark and have actually considered buying a husky.
  • I quite liked AFFC/ADWD.

I'm not a father, and certainly Walder Frey wasn't a good father or a good man in general, but if I helped out someone and that resulted in the death of my children and other relatives, and then he dismissed my daughter in a public way that man wouldn't be considered my guest. So, like I said, I don't agree with the mass murder plot, but, if Walder Frey hadn't been a horrid human being to begin with I could see why he did what he did. Although it would probably help my argument better if Walder Frey had been a better man.

I actually agree with this, not that I'm condoning the Red Wedding, but I do understand the anger and resentment. I also see it as a stab at the Tullys not the Starks or the North. The Tullys had looked down their noses at the Freys for generations it seems and Robb's betrayal was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The Freys had very good reasons to switch sides,

Yes. The reason is Walder Frey is a bitter 90 year old man with ugly children who he cant marry off, who no one respects and his only accomplishment with regard to his rivals is he outlived them. He saw a big opportunity to say F* you to a king without consequences and leave this world with a splash.

just not in the way they did it. This is hardly controversial, is it?

No.

Archived