IS Dany still the Unburnt?

Lord Liam DarkStark

How could you? Obviously you won't knowbthe difference if you don't know the original. I think she's still resistent you don't. Its not a big deal. But to me changing her character to be that much more magical than she is is a big deal and shows maybe she is the chosen one. Cause we don't see them changing any other characters like that.

True, it could be that, that's very possible. I think it's more likely that it was just a better way for them to go with a TV series, as I have explained above, but you could very well be right. All I'm saying is that it wouldn't necessarily cause any major problems for the show later on. Even if GRRM had her barbequed, which I doubt, they could just kill her off in a different fashion. Considering they already know how her story ends, I think they probably would have taken that into account, either as you say, or just to work better on TV.

Folks like to say she "ducked" the fire, apart from skull injury that she must have suffered dragonfire--thehotest fire in the world-- passed right by her head and neck, you would think that would leave burns or even sever burns on her face skin and neck if she had no resistance.

Folks who say she is not fire immune have a 15 year old interview (when the book was going to be 3 volumes) and wishful thinking as their backup. nothing else. The evidence suggesting she is fire immune comes from Danny herself who still believes it (and who can easily test her self against any fire), from the show which is setting her up to be completely immune to dragon fire & normal fire both and from book text and an event very similar to the pyre (in its outcome, Danny hair burns but she is otherwise untouched by the fire).

Folks like to say she "ducked" the fire, apart from skull injury that she must have suffered dragonfire--thehotest fire in the world-- passed right by her head and neck, you would think that would leave burns or even sever burns on her face skin and neck if she had no resistance.

Folks who say she is not fire immune have a 15 year old interview (when the book was going to be 3 volumes) and wishful thinking as their backup. nothing else. The evidence suggesting she is fire immune comes from Danny herself who still believes it (and who can easily test her self against any fire), from the show which is setting her up to be completely immune to dragon fire & normal fire both and from book text and an event very similar to the pyre (in its outcome, Danny hair burns but she is otherwise untouched by the fire).

Personally, I don't know whether she is or not, and in all honesty, it doesn't really bother me either way, though it is an interesting discussion, to be sure.

Folks who say she is not fire immune have a 15 year old interview (when the book was going to be 3 volumes)

Uh, no, the book was going to be six volumes at that point. George abandoned the three-book plan very early on in the writing process, before AGOT was even written.

and wishful thinking as their backup. nothing else.

Sorry, but if your argument is that we have only the words of the author himself and nothing else, then your argument needs some work.

The evidence suggesting she is fire immune comes from Danny herself who still believes it

She also believes Targs don't get sick, which is objectively false.

from the show which is setting her up to be completely immune to dragon fire & normal fire both

The. Show. Is. Not. Canon. It is not evidence of anything involving the books, only the direction the producers are taking the show in.

and from book text and an event very similar to the pyre (in its outcome, Danny hair burns but she is otherwise untouched by the fire).

The rest of her clothing has not been burned off, however, indicating that she wasn't engulfed in flames, as she was on Drogo's pyre. Her hands are also blistered from the heat. Her hair was the only thing that caught fire.

Because one time magical effect restoring natural laws is so much easier to buy than someone who for all other purposes is human walking around somehow being affected by high temperatures yet not very very high temperature. If she's fire resistant, how come she feels any heat at all?

Why do you want her to not be reslient? I thnk she's much better off beng resilient. It fits the character much better I can see why they changed it...if they did.

It has nothing to do with what I want. I don't really care one way or another if Dany is truly fire-immune or not. I'm just arguing against what I consider to be a misconception.

So far there is much more evidence she is than she isn't. I'm not taking a stale interview against fresh writing. Once george says she is no longer immune I will believe it. But after the ending of dance, I don't think that's the case. The burned all her hair I don't care who you are that's gunna burn your scalp. I've caught my hair on fire and put it out and been unscathed. She let the fire completely burn out and yet her scalp was fine.

Because one time magical effect restoring natural laws is so much easier to buy than someone who for all other purposes is human walking around somehow being affected by high temperatures yet not very very high temperature. If she's fire resistant, how come she feels any heat at all?

This is completely invalid. Its a story woven with magic. Yet you try to solve it with science.

I'm not saying she is numb. I'm saying fire doesn't effect her or burn her like it would another character in the story. Its obvious to me. Everyone else is shielded by a stale interview hiding behind it trying to make her character less impressive. And I think its harder to buy the one time deal than her just being blood of the dragon. Its much more confusing otherwise. Why would try and trick us with the daznak's pit even and her going over it in her head and comparing it to the funeral pyre. I don't expect her to go around jumping in flames to prove her worth. But its quite confusing for her to believe she is and remains unburnt by flames, the only reason I could see him write her character to be that foolish is just to have her end up being burned later on. If that's the case then people that read the books are gunna hate that adaption to the show. Cause they'll have to change her death. And if that's her death in the books its symbolic resonance by george.

Chemistry means nothing to this story. Animals don't breath fire in reality. And chemists are not doctors in any case.

her palms were burned by the spear. Not by drogon. Even yet she says they are blisters. Are they healing burns. Or are they blisters from drogon's scales. Could be a lot of different reason for her injured hands. Its not like she had a saddle to ride with. Holding onto him could of blistered her hands. What I said above is enough for me! Blistered hands don't compare to a disgusting burnt scalp. Your hair can't burn to the root without the fire touching your skin.

Wow this thread has kicked off!! You lot crack me up lol.

I'm going to stick my ore in here and say that she is highly 'resistant' to the flame and is able to survive and be unharmed when it is in her vacinity, rather than her standing in the middle of dragon flame as that would most definitely kill her.

I think she is only really resistant because she is actually the chosen one, we all know Stannis isn't..! I would like to see her have some sort of resistance to the outrageous heat and flame of her Dragons, you would expect that in a fantasy somewhat. But for her to be totally fireproof would be silly.

What I would like though is for example: Her as a person to be burnt on the surface eventually if overly exposed (would seem reasonable) and for it to have not actually damaged/kill her like it would for a normal person. That would be quite cool and wouldn't come across as too far fetched either surely?

Wow this thread has kicked off!! You lot crack me up lol.

I'm going to stick my ore in here and say that she is highly 'resistant' to the flame and is able to survive and be unharmed when it is in her vacinity, rather than her standing in the middle of dragon flame as that would most definitely kill her.

I think she is only really resistant because she is actually the chosen one, we all know Stannis isn't..! I would like to see her have some sort of resistance to the outrageous heat and flame of her Dragons, you would expect that in a fantasy somewhat. But for her to be totally fireproof would be silly.

What I would like though is for example: Her as a person to be burnt on the surface eventually if overly exposed (would seem reasonable) and for it to have not actually damaged/kill her like it would for a normal person. That would be quite cool and wouldn't come across as too far fetched either surely?

Yes I agree with you. I just think it fits the mother of dragons that her children can't harm her, or at least she is resistent to being harmed by their flame. Dragon flame is the hottest flame in the realm. It compares to the fires of the freehold. It melted stone at harrenhal. Yet she is set on fire by dragon flame and comes out unscathed. It seems unusual to me that if she is able to be burned so easily why did she survive the flame. She ducked. That's not enough her hair caught fire and burned to her scalp. Its the same with the pyre only in the pyre her entire body was engulfed and she wasn't harmed. Only her hair was burned away. I thought her hair being burned away was an obvious indication of her changing again. A point to her regrowth and getting her back on the right path. The path she was on after her hair was burned away the first time

This is completely invalid. Its a story woven with magic. Yet you try to solve it with science.

I'm not saying she is numb. I'm saying fire doesn't effect her or burn her like it would another character in the story. Its obvious to me. Everyone else is shielded by a stale interview hiding behind it trying to make her character less impressive. And I think its harder to buy the one time deal than her just being blood of the dragon. Its much more confusing otherwise. Why would try and trick us with the daznak's pit even and her going over it in her head and comparing it to the funeral pyre. I don't expect her to go around jumping in flames to prove her worth. But its quite confusing for her to believe she is and remains unburnt by flames, the only reason I could see him write her character to be that foolish is just to have her end up being burned later on. If that's the case then people that read the books are gunna hate that adaption to the show. Cause they'll have to change her death. And if that's her death in the books its symbolic resonance by george.

Respectfully, when an argument has become, by your own admission, you versus just about everyone, don't you think there is a chance that "everyone" might be right? They have already changed things in the show, heck, they changed the entire HoTU, in the end, the producers know how/if Dany is going to die, GRRM is on record that he has told them how all the major storylines play out, so either she is not going to die in a way that is affected by fire, or they have probably got some idea in mind of how they'll get around it. It's not that big a deal unless GRRM sacrifices her to the flames, and even then the producers would just write a reason that she was no longe immune in that instance.

Respectfully, when an argument has become, by your own admission, you versus just about everyone, don't you think there is a chance that "everyone" might be right? They have already changed things in the show, heck, they changed the entire HoTU, in the end, the producers know how/if Dany is going to die, GRRM is on record that he has told them how all the major storylines play out, so either she is not going to die in a way that is affected by fire, or they have probably got some idea in mind of how they'll get around it. It's not that big a deal unless GRRM sacrifices her to the flames, and even then the producers would just write a reason that she was no longe immune in that instance.

Yet again going back to this. We've moved on in the arguement, and no I don't think its valid that a bunch of old heads are gunna convince me. Only george could do that. If anything the show having that extra information proves my point. They could never have portrayed the house of the undying scene correctly it would of cost too much money and confused the viewers. the show is on a budget that's why the books are so much more detailed and symbolic. The show has to adapt. Of course its possible that's why she is so immune to fire in the show. But I think there is more to that. I think its her character in and out of the book. That's the point I'm trying to make and I completely understand why you all disagree.

Yet again going back to this. We've moved on in the arguement, and no I don't think its valid that a bunch of old heads are gunna convince me. Only george could do that. If anything the show having that extra information proves my point. They could never have portrayed the house of the undying scene correctly it would of cost too much money and confused the viewers. the show is on a budget that's why the books are so much more detailed and symbolic. The show has to adapt. Of course its possible that's why she is so immune to fire in the show. But I think there is more to that. I think its her character in and out of the book. That's the point I'm trying to make and I completely understand why you all disagree.

I was only referring to this point that you had just made.

"If that's the case then people that read the books are gunna hate that adaption to the show. Cause they'll have to change her death. And if that's her death in the books its symbolic resonance by george."

My point was only that I doubt most readers will care that much either way, and even if many readers did care, the show could quite easily rectifty the situation later.

Still full of IFs MAYBEs and BUTs

I'm not convinced and neither are you. I find no evidence that she is burnable. Besides blistered hands and an old interview after her first experience with the pyre.

I find it strange he would go against his own writing so much with daznak's to make the story that much more confusing to make us wonder wether she is burnable or immune.

When to me it seems clear she is immune and to others it seems clear she can be burned.

Then I find it strange that the show would change her character that much. They've done a fantastic job adapting the story withthe resources they have. Why flare her character unless her character already had the flare. I don't like comparing canon in literature to an HBO t.v. show. But its hard to discredit cause george himself works on the show. I just find it fitting to her character that her dragons can't harm her. She brought them into this world. They can't take her out of it. The magic of her blood is simialr to the magic of the starks blood in my opinion like her with her dragons and them with their direwolves. Gifts from the gods.

Still full of IFs MAYBEs and BUTs

This is all just speculation, it is all about "ifs," "buts," and "maybes," if we knew for sure we wouldn't have most of these forums. I don't know whether she is fire proof or not, I'm not that bothered either way. I personally think you're putting too much stock in the show, but I'm happy to just disagree with you. Also, I hope GRRM is a better writer than to make too much use of "gifts from the gods." Literal deus-ex-machina is the worst kind.

Archived