Is ASOIAF affecting your marriage/relationship?

Real Heir of  Bear Island

Stannis or Arya.. You are the shit! I'm sorry your wife doesn't entertain the idea of reading the books but in my experience the more you encourage it the more she will resent it. At least you have friends you can discuss it with, and there's always us. :)

My very first post!

Here goes....

My husband's brother gave me his copy of AGoT to read last year. I hadn't watched any of the HBO series at that time because I always prefer to read the books first. Little did I know what a monster would be created! My husband would get on my case about how obsessed I had become with the books and seemed to be almost jealous of my infatuation with them. Later on we watched the TV series together and he was hooked. Then all of the sudden he was the one staying up late reading the books. :)

ASoIaF gives us lots of topics to discuss now. We tend to have different favorite characters (I love all things Sansa while he loves all things ironborn) but that enables us to read different threads and report on them to each other later.

Our son's middle name is Desmond (yes, from Lost) and we have already decided that is we end up having a daughter, her name will be Maisie (after the actress who plays Arya) and if we have a boy his name will be Stark.

Who knows, maybe your wife will pick up AGoT sometime and have a change of heart......

I have the same problem.

My husband refuses to give a chance to the books, because he claims that I'm even too obsessed on my own, and somehow that made him not very well disposed with them.

That's so unfair.

I asked him if I could call him "my giant of Lannister" in intimacy, but he said no. But probably it would be worse if he had actually read the books.

Stannis or Arya.. You are the shit! I'm sorry your wife doesn't entertain the idea of reading the books but in my experience the more you encourage it the more she will resent it. At least you have friends you can discuss it with, and there's always us. :)

I think I'll have a better shot at Brandon, but that isnt as cool as Stannis. I do have you guys for which I am greatful!

Its true that I should just stop bringing it up. Sometimes on a Friday night I'll get a little drunk and command her to "fetch me another horn of ale wench, before I show you the back of my hand". For some reason she doesn't find it as funny as I do and I have to get up and get my own beer. She also hates when I say "mayhaps".

My husband gets it, we watched the show together, then I read the books and told him all about them. He usually just thinks I'm being cute and nerdy when i bring up little comparisons.

That happens to me every time I bring up anything asoiaf related. My boyfriend thinks it's cute to see me so excited about something considered 'nerdy.' I tried getting him to even just watch the show, but he's really stubborn and won't even give it a try. :frown5:

What is dead may never die. I am single, and I plan on remaining single for at least 4-5 years from now, so nothing can affect it.

Or, if you prefer to think I'm in a relationship with my right hand, some Danny/Asha/Arianne scenes have improved the relationship.

Actually, I'm probably more into it than my Husband, but I've always been an avid reader.

I use to go through two books a week when I was younger, read "War and Peace" when I was ten, and "Kent Family Chronicles" series by John Jakes at probably an inappropriate age, (of couse I was an only child too, so it occupied my time alone).

But, it helps that he collects comic books, and has his hobbies.

I think you have to let people be what they are, and find some happy medium, if it's not this.

But, if this is your thing, she's going to have to understand that if she wants the same thing from you about something else.

In marriage, compromise is a two-way street.

When my Husband gets on e-bay, I know to get out of Dodge. :D

I don't know that I'd want my Husband into everything I was into, but then again, both of us could be into worse things.

No, ASOIAF hasn't affected my relationships in the past, but my last relationship affected ASOIAF: I needed something to occupy my mind when it ended, and HBO's show was it. Then I read the whole series. I've found that a lot of girls like ASOIAF though, so maybe it'll positively affect my next relationship :cool4:

I worry that I ruined or diminished my boyfriend's enjoyment/interest in ASOIAF. :( He was/is really really into the first season, watched it over a few times, but I didn't really sit and give it time. He was finishing up reading GoT when I decided to read the book then watch the show, since he said it was really good and easy to get through.

I was very much liking the book and I was glad we could share our enjoyment together.Then I read this:

Ser Ilyn drew a two-handed greatsword from the scabbard on his back. As he lifted the blade above his head, sunlight seemed to ripple and dance down the dark metal, glinting off an edge sharper than any razor.
Ice
, she thought,
he has Ice!
Her tears streamed down her face, blinding her.

thought to myself 'shit just got real', and thus began my obsession with ASOIAF. I caught up to where my boyfriend was in CoK, and quickly surpassed him and went on with SoS and the rest. It was a shame because I had to weep by myself when I (stupidly) briefly thought Bran and Rickon were dead, and when I read the RW and quietly cried myself to sleep but I couldn't even tell him why.

I'd try my hardest but watching season 2 with him, I couldn't help but do the occasional nitpicking and comparisons which was annoying to him I'm sure.

As my obsession intensified I would sorely want to talk about it and I wouldn't want to give spoilers so I would talk about what he's read and with his permission I would say small things, but I would bring it up so often that I think it started to bother him and made him not want to read as it would diminish his enjoyment knowing very minor things. I tried assuring him that they are so minor compared to everything but I can understand him wanting to read everything with a fresh mind. He put down CoK for a long time and I still sorta poke him to get him to read it but I can't seem to go very long without talking about ASOIAF in some way. I feel like an ass and I know I'm annoying, but I can't help it! It's hard to keep stuff in, and these forums just make it worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived