Famous Movie or Book Quotes that could be applied to ASoIaF

13th Warrior

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" - from Dickens' Tale of Two Cities for the ASOIAF series

"To be get my a** to Westeros or not to beget my a** to Westeros, that is the question" - from Hamlet (obviously) for Daenarys (equally obviously)

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" - from Gone with the Wind for Jaime's reaction to Cersei's "come rescue me" letter

"You killed my father, prepare to die" - from Princess Bride, my wishful thinking for how things might develop between Sansa and LF

"In life you have to do a lot of things you dont fucking want to do. Sometimes thats what life is, just one vile fucking task after another. Dont get aggravated, then the opponent has you by the short hairs"

Robert to Stannis, just before he marries Selyse.

Ι was seriously tempted to add Tyrion as well and he seems to fit Richard perfectly. Highborn, deformed, spurned by women but Tyrion unlike Richard or LF still loved Jaime and tried to do anything to look after him. Both brothers are redeemed though their love for each other. No matter how much LF was in love with Cat, he harmed her and her family. LF is an indisputable villain for me.

I agree with you, in fact I believe it fits Tyrion only in ADWD, in his wannabe-villain arc. I can't help thinking about him when I read it.

Baratheons

• There’s a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, the ship has sailed and only a fool would continue. Truth is, I’ve always been a fool. (Big Fish)

Sansa

• Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness for weakness. (Kolhoff)
  • There’s a loneliness that only exists in one’s mind. The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly. (The Great Gatsby)
  • Perhaps all a Tsarista is is a beautiful cold girl, looking down at someone wretched in the snow, and not yielding. (Deathless)

Greyjoys/Ironborn

• Who knows the end? What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise. Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men. (The Call of Cthulhu)

Melisandre

• Her face was just like the landscape -- shadows & sunshine flitting over it in rapid succession; but the shadows rested longer, and the sunshine was more transient... (Wuthering Heights)

Catelyn (RW)

• All was mingled, broken, floating, confusedly scattered in her thoughts. She no longer felt, no longer knew, no longer thought-at most, she only dreamed. Never had any living creature been plunged more deeply into annihilation. (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)

Oh, and I wanted to add this.

It applies to Melisandre, High Sparrow and to all religious fanatics in asoiaf.

"You killed my father, prepare to die" - from Princess Bride, my wishful thinking for how things might develop between Sansa and LF

Yes please! I sooo want this to happen. Sansa finds out that LF not only manipulated Cat but also betrayed Ned in KL and then she kills him while delivering a badass line!

I agree with you, in fact I believe it fits Tyrion only in ADWD, in his wannabe-villain arc. I can't help thinking about him when I read it.

Yes, you are right. Tyrion in his first pov in dwd all he can think of is death and destruction. He arrives at Pentos and imagines Cersei's and Jaime's heads on a stake. And many chapters later when he thinks of Westeros and how much he is missing home, he immediately thinks of Jaime...

"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." - Casablanca

Applies to Jaime & Brienne, Tyrion & Bronn, Jon & Sam, . . .

Now that I think about it, just about every great quote from Casablanca can be adapted to fit Jaime, Tyrion, and Little Finger.

Reoccurring theme:

"I get it now. I get it. The things you hope for the most are the things that destroy you in the end."

-John Green and David Levithan, Will Grayson, Will Grayson

"Why didn’t I learn to treat everything like it was the last time? My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future."

-Jonathan Safran Foer

"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness."

-Leo Tolstoy

Bran I guess:

"I’m not brave any more darling. I’m all broken. They’ve broken me."

-Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Arya:

AGoT and while in captivity:

And,’ she added musingly, ‘the thing that irks me most is this shattered prison, after all. I’m tired, tired of being enclosed here. I’m wearying to escape into that glorious world, and to be always there: not seeing it dimly through tears, and yearning for it through the walls of an aching heart, but really with it, and in it.

-Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

Later

"How do you get so empty? Who takes it out of you? "

-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 45

"Don’t be surprised if death comes from within."

-Patti Smith (Just Kids?)

"I would tell you that I wrestle alone in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know. Only I can understand my condition."

-Virginia Woolf (The Hours)

"Hey, you wanna hear my philosophy of life? Do it to him before he does it to you. "

-Terry, On the Waterfront

"I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."

-Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."

-Cormac McCarthy, The Road

"‘When death captures me,’ the boy vowed, ‘he will feel my fist on his face.’

Personally, I quite like that. Such stupid gallantry.

Yes.

I like that a lot."

-Death, The Book Thief

Jon Snow since he said that black was always his color.

“When asked, "Why do you always wear black?", he said, "I am mourning for my life.”

― Anton Chekhov

Dany

If the moon smiled, she would resemble you.

You leave the same impression

Of something beautiful, but annihilating.

-Sylvia Plath

Archived