Top 3 mistakes that led to bloodshed or strife

JaegrM

Topic Title says it all, I'll start off the top of my head, but my answers may be prone to change, they're off the top of my heada.

In semi order.

1) Cat's capture of the Imp

2) Robb calling his banners and (IMO) officially starting the war

3)Cersei's vendetta against the Tyrells

The above events were all manipulated long beforehand by the great players of the Game, LF+Varys.

The war of the five kings started with the murder by Jon Arryn before the events in GoT.

I) LF and Lysa Arryn murder Jon Arryn (each had their reasons)

II) Maester Pycelle, Varys the Spider and Cercei Lannister wholeheartedly supported the poisoning of Jon Arryn and do nothing to stop it (for their own reasons)

III) Lysa Arryn sends a note to Catelyn Stark falsely blaming the Lannisters

The events in GoT were escalated by the following events:

I) Jaime Lannister tossed Bran Stark out of a window

II) Joff Lannister hires a hitman to take out a bedridden Bran Stark - and fumbles the hit

III) Eddard Stark decides to accept the position of Hand, so to investigate the death of Jon Arryn - starting the Game for real for LF+Varys

The war of the Five Kings was definitely manipulated to starting by some very Machiavellian players for their own reasons. And the high nobs just were outstanding in allowing themselves to be played.

Topic Title says it all, I'll start off the top of my head, but my answers may be prone to change, they're off the top of my heada.

In semi order.

1) Cat's capture of the Imp

2) Robb calling his banners and (IMO) officially starting the war

3)Cersei's vendetta against the Tyrells

Well, I think if Rhaegar had dethroned his father then that would have made a very big difference.

Over the course of the series I agree with you, although (3) hasn't resulted in much bloodshed yet.

Regarding 3-that's why I added 'Strife' to the topic title.

1.) Lord Denys Darklyn kidnapping Aerys Targaryen. (That event supposedly turned Aerys into a nutjob)

2.) Rhaegar following prophecies instead of living his life. (No missing Lyanna, no angry Brandon Stark)

3.) Tywin Lannister not storming Duskendale when Aerys is held hostage. (honestly Targaryen bloodline wasn't in threat so who cares?)

1) Aerys' kidnapping.

2) Rhaegar's lack of action

3) LF ever being taken in by Hoster Tully

Within the books:

1) Joff's attack on Bran

2) Catelyn's kidnapping of Tyrion.

3) Ned leaving Winterfell

If we're talking all time then:

#1) Aegon the Conquerer deciding he wanted Westeros

#2) Criston "Kingmaker" Cole crowning Aegon ahead of Rhaenyra and kicking off the Dance of the Dragons

#3) The failure to form a Great Council and remove the Mad King

#4) Aegon the Unworthy legitimising the Great Bastards and leaving Blackfyre to Daemon

#5) Cersei's affair with Jaime

Unless I can count founding Slavers Bay or creating Iron Born culture as decisions.

Since the books started I'd say:

#1) Cersei having Robert killed

#2) Joffrey executing Ned and destroying any chance of peace with the North

#3) Littlefinger and Lysa killing Jon Arryn and blaming the Lannisters to set things in motion

Ned Stark being "noble" and offering Cersei et al a chance to get away before making his findings about her incestuous relationship with Jamie - resulting in her three children - public. Had he gone public with proper support she hadn't had the chance to get ahead of him. Cersei might have lost her head instead but a lot of the later bloodshed would have been avoided.

1. Catelyn kidnapping the Imp - This gave House Lannister the perfect opportunity to call te banners and garner support for a war. also, kept Ned in KL because of Jaime's killing of Jory and breaking of his leg.

2. Robb sending Theon to Pyke - gave Balon a chance to change Theon's loyalties and eventually gave Bolton the opportunity to grab control of the north,

3. Jeor Mormont's great Ranging - weakened the Watch critically by losing half or more of it's rangers and leading to the deaths of great individuals like Qhorin and Mormont.

3. Dany being gay and saving MMD - The Dothraki have been raping and killing after their victories forever, then she comes along and fucks it all up. Drogo told her thats what they do but she wants to cry about it and that got Drogo killed. He was gonna take Westeros for her but that wasnt enough for "im just a young girl" Dany.

Well to be fair if that didn't happen the Stallion The Mounts The World (pretty much "The guy that will fuck the world") would have been born. A whole lot of bloodshed would have come from that but thanks to MMD that's not gonna happen.

Archived