Top 3 mistakes that led to bloodshed or strife

JaegrM

Not doing anything about the Freys.

Not doing anything about the western Freys aka the Lannister Freys.

Not cleaning house at the end of the rebellion.

Reward Walder Frey with a holdfast somewhere even closer to the Neck and give the Twins to a House that actually did something during the rebellion besides hide in their castle.

Send Kingslayer to the Wall, Cersei to the Silent Sisters and Tyrion to Ned as a ward. Reward Tywin and his Freyish way of hiding in a hole until victory was certain with a holdfast up by the Banefort where he can keep an eye on the ironborn. Again give Casterly Rock to someone that actually did something during the rebellion.

1. Cersei ignoring Joffrey's sociopathic behaviour.
  2. Lord Rickard arranging for Lyanna to marry Robert. She did not want him anyway. Would Robert have rebelled if Lyanna was not his betrothed and kill Rhaegar?
  3. Ser Rodrick not killing Reek/Ramsay. He wanted to but also needed a witness to Ramsay's crimes...

1. Cat urging Ned to take the job

2. Cat believing LF's lie and telling Ned them.

3. Cat capturing the awesome Imp.

You make an interesting point here, believe it or not. I do think GRRM created Catelyn as this vehicle for misfortune. I don't even think she had poor judgement. I mean, Why should she not believe her sister? Why would she not believe her oldest friend? Why would she not wish to punish the man who tried to kill her son? Why should she trust the Lannisters, of all people, above those she had trusted and loved all her life? It's the greatest sense of irony, and I think GRRM does it beautifully.

My three would be all from aGoT

Jaime saying to Cersei, "Let's head up to that old tower once your fat husband goes off with the hunt?'

Lysa doing Littefinger's bidding, and killing her husband

Ned being too stupidly honourable and confronting Cersei about his discoveries.

War of the Usurper:

1) Areys was insane and liked to burn folks.

2) Rheagar and Lyanna ran off together.

3) Areys cooked Lord Rickard in a clear violation of the spirt of Trail by Combat.

War of the Five Kings:

1+) Ned's stupid honor and his unwillingness to move against Cersei when he had the chance. The worst player of the game, since he never knew he was playing, much less how to.

1) Cersei made babies with Jamie.

2) Jamie wounded Ned, preventing him from leading the force to subdue the Mountain (preventing his own capture by Tywin).

3) Cersei raised an arrogant little idiot who liked cutting folks heads off at the last moment.

c ) THE KING IN THE NORTH (+ the riverlands). Nothing like removing any possibility for you're liege to bend the knee hey Jon Umber Snr

that wasn't a mistake, the only reason it turned out the way it did was because Stannis assasinated Renly, which obviously Robb had no control over. Had Renly lived, him and Robb would've been allied and easily defeated the Lannisters.

2. Rob marrying Jayne - He gave his word as king and broke it. He saw Jayne and thought, I want a hot wife so fuck it. Roslin Frey was beautiful too acordung to Edmure, coulda had her and had an heir on the first try.

Wow, seriously? I'm not a massive Robb Stark fan or anything but that is ridiculously far from the truth...

Wow, seriously? I'm not a massive Robb Stark fan or anything but that is ridiculously far from the truth...

How is that ridiculously far from the truth? Robb and Cat have a convo about the Frey girls and what they look like before he agrees and Cat hints at theyre not good looking but reminds him its the only way to cross. Then Robb comes back with Jayne, who took care of him and hes obviously attracted to her. She's even of lower class than the Frey's and connected to the Lannisters. He may be in love but hes also 15, im sure her looks played a big part and thought, hey Im king I can do whatever. If he didnt care at all about looks he would have never had had the convo with Cat about it and just married a Frey girl.

Ah, the favourite past time of this board, the blame game. :P

How is that ridiculously far from the truth? Robb and Cat have a convo about the Frey girls and what they look like before he agrees and Cat hints at theyre not good looking but reminds him its the only way to cross.

This is only in the TV series, not in the books.

Ah, the favourite past time of this board, the blame game. :P

This is only in the TV series, not in the books.

Aye, and Roslin was a hottie :)

Anyway:

1. Cat capturing the imp. I like Cat, but this was an incredibly stupid move. She knew they didn't have enough proof, if she would've thaugt 3 seconds she would've known her husband and daughters would be in great immediate danger in KL, and she knew Ned was looking for more proof, once he had it he would've had power being the Kings Hand to do something about it, and he was also close to Robert, so she should have left it to him.

2. Joffrey beheading Ned. Utterly stupid and caused the war.

3. Rhaegar and Lyanna running off

Archived