Who will Arya be sent to assasinate?

TheeMikeHoncho

I'm sticking with the rules, which outrule Sansa, Cersei and Varys since Arya knows them.
.Aye, But if someone, for some reason, hires the FM to kill Alayne Stone, the FM won't know Arya knows her

I've had a crazy thought... Maybe Jaqen was sent to kill Varys, I believe he maybe a rogue faceless man. Thats why he was in Kings Landing. The Faceless men see that Arya would be someone Varys would be interested in, so train her to kill him. She would be able to get close to him, as he would see her as valuable in his plans for a stable Westeros.

I'm going for Varys.

Does there have to be a logical reason for a rule? There definitely isn't in all the religions we see around us, even if I think it's logical to have a rule for the FM not to kill someone they know - it's simply easier to kill someone you don't know than someone you know. And also don't forget that this is not something that's only internally known among the FM but at least common knowledge in Braavos.

Why do you think all the sailors on the ship that took Arya to Braavos were so thorough in making sure she learned their names? It may be simple superstition but in practise it meant that they made sure she wouldn't be able to kill them when she's become an FM.

Regarding Jaqen's (my :cool4: ) reference to the Red God, isn't that only in the TV show (don't have ACOK around right now)? So it may be a simplification by the scriptwriters since they were after all saved from a death by fire.

And regarding Izembaro, my impression was that it's a person Arya will be sent to train with. And personally I don't think it's someone in the vicinity of a major target such as Daenerys or Tommen. Even if Arya has pulled off her first hit she's not ready for that kind of heat just yet. That said - I can be wrong just as anyone...

In AFFC page 339. (i'm reading in Dutch) Arya is on a boot to Bravos. Before going to sleep she says the names of people whe wants dead. Then she mentions, I would read out the names of the Freys asswell if i knew them. I think she is send out to kill the Freys about what they did on the RED wedding because that act was a shame to all gods.

And I like the irony of it. Now she is good enough to kill, she cant kill the people wich names she mention everynight going to sleep. It's irony.

In AFFC page 339. (i'm reading in Dutch) Arya is on a boot to Bravos. Before going to sleep she says the names of people whe wants dead. Then she mentions, I would read out the names of the Freys asswell if i knew them. I think she is send out to kill the Freys about what they did on the RED wedding because that act was a shame to all gods.

And I like the irony of it. Now she is good enough to kill, she cant kill the people wich names she mention everynight going to sleep. It's irony.

Thank you, I knew something was up with this 'rule' about you can't kill people you have already met. I bet you are right about the Frey's! That is a great notion. :agree:

The Red God comment was in the book as well as the show, and there is some debate as to whether Jaqen is operating outside of his remit with he FM or not. The two most popular answers are either that the Red God is more important to Jaqen, as he seems to put extra emphasis on R'hllor, or that Jaqen is just referring to he, Biter and Rorge being saved from the fire.

I think that it was simply a reference to being saved from the fire, and that in Jaqen's mind the Red God is simply an aspect of the Many-Faced God. Otherwise, if Jaqen really wanted to give 3 sacrifices specifically to the Red God and was now acting independently of the FM ideals to worship him, then I think that the people he killed in Harrenhal should have been burned to death, or sacrificed in some way using fire. It makes no sense to me that they would have been killed in a way that made it seem like accidents if his goal was to sacrifice them to the Red God.

I think that it was simply a reference to being saved from the fire, and that in Jaqen's mind the Red God is simply an aspect of the Many-Faced God. Otherwise, if Jaqen really wanted to give 3 sacrifices specifically to the Red God and was now acting independently of the FM ideals to worship him, then I think that the people he killed in Harrenhal should have been burned to death, or sacrificed in some way using fire. It makes no sense to me that they would have been killed in a way that made it seem like accidents if his goal was to sacrifice them to the Red God.

It's also possible he was simply recruiting her.

My problem with this is that if someone hires a fm to kill you knowing one of them wouldn't be worth anything, because the next one would kill you. I also do not believe no one can know anyone. I believe when they said I know this man they meant the person they were portraying at that time knows him.

My problem with this is that if someone hires a fm to kill you knowing one of them wouldn't be worth anything, because the next one would kill you. I also do not believe no one can know anyone. I believe when they said I know this man they meant the person they were portraying at that time knows him.

You mean the face he was wearing at the time is familiar to the person they were sent to kill and not his actual face?

But wouldn't that be the same rule? Meaning if any 'face' you are wearing knows the victim you can't kill that victim?

What I was thinking is that all Arya would have to do is change her face and then she is OK to kill her 'list' of people right? Isn't that the whole point, that they can change their faces and kill who they want?

Good point. Well, in this case, why wouldn't he show Arya the "glory" of his new beliefs, by showing her the "proper" way to make sacrifices to the Red God? Or when Arya declined his offer to come with him, why would he give her an iron coin, if he's gone rogue? Wouldn't that simply potentially strengthen the FM by giving them a new recruit, which would be the opposite of what he would want? (And we know from the Captain's reaction that the coin can only pay passage to the House of Black and White and doesn't seem to serve any other purpose, so we can't assume that Jaqen gave it to her to obtain the services of some Braavosi for any other reason.)

So since there are so many contradictions, it seems to me that the only logical explanation would be that Jaqen has not gone rogue, he's still a faithful member of the FM (although he might be using somewhat unorthodox methods), and that when he said that 3 deaths were owed to the Red God he was simply referencing the fire he was saved from and that in his mind the Red God is simply another aspect of the Many-Faced God, which he still worships.

And/Or he was evaluating Arya. He knew she was Arya of House Stark, he observed her behavior during their journey and desired to know what she'll do with three 'free' deaths. After making his assessment of her, she considered her a potential asset to the FM and gave her the coin. The part about the Red God might be BS to hide his true motivations.

And about the target lists... how about Stannis?

Let's say Stannis defeats the Boltons and secure himself in Winterfell. Tommen dies per the prophecy, King's Landing is in chaos and Mycella is held by Aegon as a hostage. The Lannisters are almost done for, the Tyrells don't want to declare for Aegon because of their enmity with Dorne and they still have to deal with the Ironborn. And, up North, they have a heir to Robert becoming stronger and out of their reach.

So, what better way to deal with him than hiring the FM? The FM probably wouldn't sent Arya alone to kill him, but they might send Izembaro. And, with Arya as his apprentice, it makes perfect sense for him to take her with him to Winterfell. Arya knows the place probably better than any FM and it works as a test for her. If she refuses to become none while in her childhood home, Izembaro can kill her.

And now let the serious crackpot begins. Sansa reaches Winterfell, escaping from an abusive marriage with Harrold Hardying. Izembaro fails to kill badass Stannis and both him and Arya - who nobody in Stannis entourage knows - and sentence them to death. Sansa recognizes Arya and raises whatever Northern bannermen she can against Stannis in order to save her life. Northern forces defeat the surviving Stannis host and Stannis is taken prisioner. To secure her position among the Northerners, Sansa has to declare herself Queen in the North, yet unaware of Rickon's existance (or as a regent for him), Jon's whereabouts and Robb's will. Stannis is sentenced to death and Sansa, as Regent or Queen in the North, has to execute him herself - thus fulfilling the prophecy of her killing a giant (Stannis) in a castle made of snow (Winterfell).

Arya, however, needs to publicly appear as death if she's to leave the FM for good, so Martin might play with that, making the readers believe she's dead for about 200-300 pages.

[...]

And about the target lists... how about Stannis?

Let's say Stannis defeats the Boltons and secure himself in Winterfell. Tommen dies per the prophecy, King's Landing is in chaos and Mycella is held by Aegon as a hostage. The Lannisters are almost done for, the Tyrells don't want to declare for Aegon because of their enmity with Dorne and they still have to deal with the Ironborn. And, up North, they have a heir to Robert becoming stronger and out of their reach.

So, what better way to deal with him than hiring the FM? The FM probably wouldn't sent Arya alone to kill him, but they might send Izembaro. And, with Arya as his apprentice, it makes perfect sense for him to take her with him to Winterfell. Arya knows the place probably better than any FM and it works as a test for her. If she refuses to become none while in her childhood home, Izembaro can kill her.

[...]

As far as we know, even if Arya has changed her face twice (maybe another time already before being sent to Izembaro) and taken on a target, she still hasn't reached a point of no return in the FM training. If she decides to become Arya Stark again, I see no reason for them to stop her. She is still far from knowing all of the FM secrets, and hasn't really learned of any new ability that she couldn't have guessed at while seeing Jaqen at work.

She's going to jump in a time machine, break the fourth wall, and kill JRR Tolkien, in order to stop counterproductive comparisons between ASOIAF and Lord of the Rings.

Isn't that what Eowyn was trying to do to T.S Eliot?

You mean the face he was wearing at the time is familiar to the person they were sent to kill and not his actual face?

But wouldn't that be the same rule? Meaning if any 'face' you are wearing knows the victim you can't kill that victim?

What I was thinking is that all Arya would have to do is change her face and then she is OK to kill her 'list' of people right? Isn't that the whole point, that they can change their faces and kill who they want?

Yes I believe were trying to say the same thing.

Archived