Who will Arya be sent to assasinate?

TheeMikeHoncho

I would love to see Arya sent to kill Boltons Bastard perhaps Stannis could of hired the faceless men to do it he has the backing of the Iron bank of Bravos and we know he doesnt have a problem with sending assasins in the shadows to remove a problem. I could also see her being sent to kill Daenerys. I imagine Arya would be quiet impressed by Daenerys they have alot in common and she would be mesmerized by her Dragons she would also act as a good charecter link between Jon and Dany later in the story.

I don't buy Missandei as a FM because she has/had a brother in the Unsullied. I'm interested to hear an explanation for that one.

I really do think Arya is gonna end up in Dorn. Narratively it just makes since. The story is on the down-curve, and seeing as her arc has to end in Westeros (I'd like to hear the argument that it doesn't) GRRM has to get her on a boat here pretty quick. Dorn is the perfect place because it's still removed enough to allow the singular progression of her arc while still being on the continent. Plus the middle eastern type setting would be cool to see her in.

Moreso than FM plots and assassinations and all that jazz I'm interested in how any literal army of wolves will come into play. We don't have exact figures obviously but what was the conjecture? 200 strong? And Arya was still connected to Nymeria in Braavos so imagine how strong that pull would be when she's just a short skip away from the Riverands. Ridiculousness.

She's poised to be the single most dangerous character in Westeros.

Someone in a previous post stated that the FM seem like a mafioso type group (blood in, blood out). With that in mind, I know it seems far fetched (please do not kill me on this :drunk: ), but how about Varys?? His way of knowing things others do not. He has proven that he can alter his appearance when necessary to gain his knowledge. So maybe it is him that she is hired to kill.

Also, she has not had much, if not any interaction with Cersei. So being that she really does not "know" Cersei, it could be her. Tommen is just as likely. But there are so many major plotlines to intertwine, it could be anyone.

Dunno if this has been discussed but do you think she could be sent to kill Lady Stoneheart?

Haven't given it too much thought, just purely speculating, but maybe it could fit in with the philosophy of the Faceless men? e.g. Lady Stoneheart has been mercilessly killing people and she is 'cheating the God of Death'. Correct me if that sounds stupid, i haven't really looked that much into the faceless men

Just think it would be create a powerful and cruel sense of irony if Cat is doing all of this to try and find her daughters and Arya is the one sent to kill her

Unlikely. Which one of the Freys would be likely to go to Braavos in order to make the deal, and how would they have heard about UnCat in Braavos and why would they particularly care about what happens in Westeros unless someone made them a deal?

Unlikely. Which one of the Freys would be likely to go to Braavos in order to make the deal, and how would they have heard about UnCat in Braavos and why would they particularly care about what happens in Westeros unless someone made them a deal?

Fair enough, was just speculating. Is that what happens do people have to go to the Faceless men and make a deal?

darksellsword - The thought had crossed my mind that Arya might do. I am hoping not, but it's the most likely option for why Arya has been given assassin training, instead of this simply being a sideline in the books.

Arya's timeline and Dany's seem consistent with each other sequentially from book 5. The only obvious chronological screwiness I've noticed is that Aeron's first chapter in AFfC appears to take place halfway through ASoS.

My thoughts are that the next stage of Arya's training will be to shadow an experienced faceless man. I believe that eventually this person will be called to asaasinate Jon, not because they have been hired to do so, but because of religious reasons.

I am assuming that Jon died and will have been resurrected by that stage, (this is logical for plot reasons; it frees him from his vows and means that if/when the wall falls in the WOW it will not be his fault, thus his credibility as a leader can be retained in the later books). The faceless men are essentially a death cult and view death as the gift of their many faced God. I believe that a public figure who has had this gift then given it back is likely to draw their attention and their religious outrage.

Obviously this will lead to Arya having to make a choice between family and being "no one", judging by her refusal to throw away needle she is unlikely to go against her family.

Yes, well...Jon, if he survives that is, would have a lot to do. But I don't think it's impossible. The Northmen are already there, at the wall. Did Alys Kartstark ever leave after her wedding?

Not to mention that Stannis is already kinda screwed, what with losing his men in the snow and being half mad from staring at the flames... he's lightning his own pyre, travelling the north with Northmen, burning their trees and burning men alive. I don't think it endears him very much to the Northmen. Even Stannis's own men seem to get a bit uneasy at seing their King deal out punishments...

If Jon leaves the wall, NOW would be the perfect time. He'd have a reason to do it, too. Either he'd be an oath breaker or he'd decide, the Nights Watch betrayed him and his command. Because, in my opinion, planning a trip to Winterfell to face off the Bolton Bastard, doesn't constitute a break of oath. If he'd actually gone to winterfell and taken sworn brothers with him, then yes, he'd have been an oath breaker. But going off on his own becuase Bolton insulted him personaly (and thus by extension his honor and the integrity of the Watch)? It's a matter of perspective, but I think, almost dying, or being assasinated or whatever, is ground enough to abandon your post. And...the wildlings themselves don't have much loyalty to the wall. They have loyalty to their belly. They want food and fire and shelter and its Jon who made that promise. I can see the wildlings leaving the wall if Jon is injured, and possibly storm Winterfell or any keep that's close by. Especially once they discover how low the food store is at the wall... So whose to say that by the time Jon recovers, Stannis isn't already dead? Winterfell surrounded or plundered, and the wildlings are occupying the north? Not to mention that whilst Tormunds lot is rather friendly, the Wall was...or was almost? under attack, too. The Reaper's waiting on the other side and with no able Lord Commander, men of doubtful loyalty and Stannis having moved his army south, the wall's probably already in the hands of the wildlings. If the Watch has fallen, there's no Lord Commander... So, I don't think it's entirely impossible for Jon to end up on the Iron throne. Not in the next book, mind, but right at the end of the story. But yes, what I wrote in the first post, about Arya killing him, does raise the problem of what Arya might possibly occupy her time with in Braavos.... chasing more cats?

I just don't see Arya returning to Westeros anytime soon, and I really don't like the idea of her being all friendly and reuniting with her lost relatives. To me, Arya Stark is well on her way of loosing herself completely. The sweet little girl will soon disappear and become a true faceless servant, so unless she gets a mission that brings her to westeros, there's absolutely no reason for her (in my opinion) to ever leave Braavos again.

It could be argued, however, that Arya receives a mission...from the Bank? to kill Tommen? or Stannis? the first has debts to repay and the second made promises he can't possibly keep... Note Jon's thoughts when he meets the banker - it goes something along the line - a King with debts does not remain King for long.

It could also be argued that Arya ends up with Samwell Tarly at the Citadel. There's already a FM there, and possibly the FM have some interests in the going ons there, unless the one we met is some kind of rogue.

I think, unless she gets a random assignment, one should pinpoint the interests the FM may or may not have in the conflict in westeros. What's their job? why do they exist? what do they do, besides answering prayers?

In that respect I think the FM couldn't care less about Little Finger. He's a small player in the big picture, really. Like the whole war of five Kings is just a joke compared to what's coming to Westeros.

However, the FM could possibly, like so many others, have an interest in the Dragons. Danny's dragons have caused a surge of magical energy of some sort apparently... or perhaps it's the opposite. In any case... the Citadel doesn't like Dragons or Targaryens, or so we are told by Maester Marwyn, was it? And the FM...could possibly want magic to continue to exist...because its an integral part of their disguise and job description?

And to answer your question... I do believe that...'once a FM always a FM'. If Arya leaves on her own, they'll kill her. The FM have too many secrets and can't possibly let her go off into the world with knowledge of their faceless magic.

If the Watch has fallen, there's no Lord Commander... So, I don't think it's entirely impossible for Jon to end up on the Iron throne. Not in the next book, mind, but right at the end of the story.]

:agree:

After I read this part of your post....I thought you just warged into GRRM and wrote the final scene.....What did Cersei tell Ned about seizing power...all he had to do was take the Iron Throne after Jaime stepped down (during Sack of K.L.), that this was his biggest mistake.

So this will be the end...we will see a very similar scene, but it will be Jon Snow approaching the IT....fade to black....we never actually see him claim what is rightfully his or simply could be his.....if only he seizes the power....some say this is out of character, but we all grow and this would mirror Ned's choice to NOT take the throne...will he follow his "Father/Uncle" and not take it or will he become.....

King Jon Snow/StarkTarg...First of his name, King of the North, Lord Commander of the Night Watch, King Beyond the Wall, He of Many Skins, Lord to the Children of the Forest and Azoi Ashor Reborn..Savior of All Realms

To me it's pretty obvious that they wanted her to learn their names to make it impossible for her to kill them in the future. They all knew "who" she was - someone who had paid for the passage with the iron coin used by the FM accompanied by the phrase "Valar Morghulis", and thus that she was someone they might have reason to "fear" in the future.

Therefore they all spoke to her and made sure she learned their names, which according to what we know would then make it impossible for her to accept an assignment to award any of them "The Gift". So I think we can establish that at least among Braavosi it is common knowledge that the FM do not kill someone they know.

Or a common misconception to give people the illusion that they are safe. For starters, no one is going to hire the FM to take out a common sailor, a ships captain would count himself lucky to have a FM hit put on him. So the crew are hardly protecting themselves from a realistic threat. So this reads to me more like a common Braavosi superstition than an actual FM operational policy.

I'm sure the ways and means of the FM are not common knowledge among the ordinary Braavosi folk, aside from the fact they are hellishly expensive to hire. If a FM whom you knew was being sent to assassinate you there are 2 possibilities: either you don't realise the person you know is a FM so they turn up as their former selves, or do know that they ran off to join the FM, in which case they will turn up as not their former selves and you won;t recognise them. Either way, you're going to be dead and no one is going to know who did it, which means people will know it was a FM hit, but won't have a clue who the FM is.

More lkely is that if you know a person and you also you know that person has become a FM, then if they show up as their original self, you can be pretty confident that you are not their target.

One reason it may be operational policy is that people who know you very well might be able to see through your face changing glamour and recognise you, which would be quite bad for your current assignment regardless of the target. But I would hardly think the introductions Arya gets on the ship to Braavos would count as sufficient personal connection. There's no one who's a potential target in Westeros who knows Arya well enough to qualify for an exemption under the FM operational policy. Either that or there are so many potential targets who have met Arya at least once that she'll never be sent to Westros on a job ever. Which means if Arya wants back in the story west of the Narrow Sea she'll have to forsake the FM, and probably become their target.

I am not counting those people Arya might kill during her "training" days, but I guess most people here expect that eventually she will get a "big" assignment concerning someone we know and then there will be posibly a moral choice - will she or will she not.

I guess the Client and the Victim/the Target have to meet following basic criteria:

- The people who commisssion asssasination have to be rich eneough to afford to pay for FM services,

- They must have time and possibility to travel to Braavos/ or to send their people to make a contract.

- The Target has to be important and well protected enough - so that involvement of such high skilled professionals will be required- otherwise I guess there are planty of criminals in westeros that could do the did at much lesser price.

- Most probably there must be other reasons that prevent the Client from arranging assasination of the Target in the easier way, using "local resources" e.g.

• Staniss did not need FM to off Renly because he had Mel and her shadowbaby - however mel need to be inthe proximity of the Victim for her tricks to work,
  • Varys has little birds (an himslef) that can kill virtually anyone in KL pretty easily, but again - I don't think they are as efficient beyond the KL.

- Timing is also important - that is - quite a lot of time is needed from the moment when client decides to turn to FM services till the moment when FM arrives in Westeros (or reaches Mereen), for example if the "assasination" is supposed to happen in the middle of TWOW - it shoould have been already commissioned by now.

Archived