God - do you believe?

Jamie's left hand

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Anglicanism that I was raised in. We are all on our spiritual journey together and at what speed we there is entirely up to us. This kind of Christianity was soft and unobtrusive. As I got a little older I was on fire for the Lord as many of the older hands around here will remember and feel to victim to several of the big logical fallacies

1. The No True Scotman. If I was on the forum defending my faith and actions of this Christian here or that Christian there were pointed out to me as being “unchristlike “ then of course it was the individual and not the system that was at fault. I never stopped to examine well how good is the system? Do its foundational teachings make even the slightest bit of rational sense? After a lot of reading and soul searching I figured the answer was no

2. That happened on the board and in real life when people would call me on my Happy Clapper stuff I would take their assaults as a personal attack and spend all my time with that never remembering that the point was to defend my arguments which I never did.

3. Since I have been relying on Amazon to pay the bills I am amazed not only at the variety of Chiristan books sell and how much they will sell for (a lot( but also how often the image of Jesus is molded to fit the movie/DVD at the time. That was another step maybe this preacher IS only interested in money like these Heathens are always saying.

4. The real deal breaker for me was the death of George Tiller people in my congregation who I respect and liked actually applauded. It was pretty disgusting I actually took a cab home.

In terms of what I think about God these days? Well I have to side with my Grandfather who always said “one man’s religion is another man’s belly laugh” And he was dead before I discovered who he stole that from.

I was just saying what the Pope said a while back

Bet they are also against condoms which is why he said it - there's no killing unborn babies in that?

I meant that people who don't use condoms, or when birth controls fails them they may want to abort the baby, which is why abstinence is an understandable practice.

Science doesn't disprove the existence of God

Because it is impossible.

Just as it is impossible to disprove something that isn't there.

Any imaginary character cannot be disproved but this gives no case for its existence. Perhaps Westeros is real - it cannot be disproved and it is preposterous that someone 'made it up'

Any imaginary character cannot be disproved but this gives no case for its existence. Perhaps Westeros is real - it cannot be disproved and it is preposterous that someone 'made it up'

Are you saying that God is definitely fake?

The 'why' question is just a stupid question and cannot be answered because there is no true answer

That is an answer I'd expect from a religious extremist to be frank.

I said 'god' because i didn't think to find many Muslim or Hindu posters - reading ASOIAF could be against their religion.

The most strict muslim I know reads aSoIaF and loves it. And the abrahamic religions (cross Hinduism out) center around the same god. You really need to get acquainted with some vicars too:

Also, don't try to argue against god's existence by taking a science vs religion stance.

But a guy did make it up. Westeros, I mean.

Every idea involving creation of our universe starts with the 'something out of nothing' assumption anyways.

Oh my that was joke next time i will i will put brackets telling you

You seem to be challenging scriptural literalism, which is a bit different than knowing whether or not there is a God.

Now, saying there is a God doesn't actually buy people much, as it isn't proof the rest of us can rely on. That's why the truth is incommunicable.

You seem to be championing secularism, which actually is the best way to do things whether or not there are gods.

There's a major problem with the Catholic Church's stance on contraceptives. Contraceptives have multiple uses. Not only do they prevent pregnancy but they have health benefits. Ranges from horrible cramps and migraines to severe conditions like endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Last I checked using contraceptives for any reason under their rules is unacceptable. Which I find to be ignorant. If the RCC wants to stay relevant and have support they need to be more flexible on their rules a bit.

That is an answer I'd expect from a religious extremist to be frank.

The most strict muslim I know reads aSoIaF and loves it. And the abrahamic religions (cross Hinduism out) center around the same god. You really need to get acquainted with some vicars too:

Also, don't try to argue against god's existence by taking a science vs religion stance.

I know it's not against their religion it was a joke

For the purpose of our discussion, please don't assume that God is fake or real. This discussion is based on beliefs not truth. This is after all, a very touchy subject

He asked a personal question about beliefs. The assumption of God's existence (or non-existence) is vital to the formation of those beliefs. The discussion sort of rides on those assumptions.

I could have looked harder but, being pretty obvious, Quakerism and Episcopalianism (well, the Anglican Church, over here), are both things I've looked at. My big problem with the latter is the Queen- in generaI think a centralised leadership is important and when it centers on the Queen, however symbolic the connection is now, it doesn't sit right with me.

So if the Church got disestablished, you'd be happier with it? Not that it will happen while the Queen is alive - by all accounts, she feels very strongly about her role as Defender of the Faith. And the new Archbishop of Canterbury is from the evangelical wing of the church as well, so that's not making me any more sympathetic towards it.

He asked a personal question about beliefs. The assumption of God's existence (or non-existence) is vital to the formation of those beliefs. The discussion sort of rides on those assumptions.

Sorry if that wasn't clear enough, I meant that we shouldn't say God is fake or God is real, because some people are very sensitive to these topics, we should stick to saying I believe he's fake or I believe he's real etc.

Archived